*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 *** pt. 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The next phase in the saga. Y'all are talkers! :)

You can see part 2 here.
And part 1 here.

Merry Christmas (or Hanukah or Winterfest or anything else that pulls you home this time of year) everyone!! Enjoy your well-deserved break!
-Shy

Members don't see this ad.

this goes to anyone that has spoken to 3rd years directly (NOT rumors) and 3rd years:

What is the general opinion of the kaplan live prep. i know different ppl study differently but in general. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

this goes to anyone that has spoken to 3rd years directly (NOT rumors) and 3rd years:

What is the general opinion of the kaplan live prep. i know different ppl study differently but in general. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

spoke to two 3rd years about this during the summer and was told it is a great program and there were very solid lecturers for their class. Only complaint was the amount of time left to study after class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last spring, I asked Dr. Bryant when we start rotations to which she replied the monday of the first week of July. Since the first day of that week is Mon Jun 30, that will most likely be the day.

Last spring, I asked Dr. Bryant when we start rotations to which she replied the monday of the first week of July. Since the first day of that week is Mon Jun 30, that will most likely be the day.

We start later. I can't give you my source (sworn to secrecy), but we do. We'll get the schedule in the next few weeks when they meet with us. I can't find the exact date because the sga calendar is down.

As for the Kaplan live lectures. I've heard the same, that they are really good, but the timing isn't great. The class officers were trying to get them to start earlier for us, but I guess it didn't go through. Personally I plan on attending the ones that I really feel like I need the review in, because I can't give up 8 hrs a day for 17 days right before the boards! I don't get enough out of being in a lecture for that.

anybody know the time and duration of the white coat ceremony on Monday April 14th?

While we're on the topic... anyone know where it's located and how many guests we're allowed to bring? I have a really big immediate family.

soo... how about those loan checks?? anyone know when they're comin in?

While we're on the topic... anyone know where it's located and how many guests we're allowed to bring? I have a really big immediate family.

for the past few years its been at the tilles center on the cw post campus right next door. i cant imagine them changing venues.

How do we access?
Is it any good?

Does anybody know how they handle the regional rotations in some of the far locations like say Buffalo, Schenectady, ect? Do you still have to come back for exams, OMM, ect. or is it all arranged for you to take on site.

USMLE before COMLEX? Then spend a few days relearning OMM? This way atleast you have the biochem down in case they ask it on COMLEX, right?

Discuss.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know how they handle the regional rotations in some of the far locations like say Buffalo, Schenectady, ect? Do you still have to come back for exams, OMM, ect. or is it all arranged for you to take on site.

I know someone doing the binghamton regional, and he definitely comes back for the exams. Not sure about omm.

PS Schenectady doesn't have a regional, just an FP rotation I believe

USMLE before COMLEX? Then spend a few days relearning OMM? This way atleast you have the biochem down in case they ask it on COMLEX, right?

Discuss.

I'm plan on taking the USMLE before I take COMLEX because I don't want to waste time learning OMM before I take the USMLE. After I take the USMLE i'm just going to go over OMM, I don't really see myself wanting to spend time after the exam on something harder than OMM.

I have a question after you send in the stamped form to the USMLE people in Philly how long does it take to get your scheduling info? Also for the regional do you have to interview and stuff?

I'm plan on taking the USMLE before I take COMLEX because I don't want to waste time learning OMM before I take the USMLE. After I take the USMLE i'm just going to go over OMM, I don't really see myself wanting to spend time after the exam on something harder than OMM.

I have a question after you send in the stamped form to the USMLE people in Philly how long does it take to get your scheduling info? Also for the regional do you have to interview and stuff?

I'm going to spend a few hours each week during board review to go over the green Savarese book,especially high yield topics everyone talks about. After USMLE I will take 1 day to review OMM and possibly some bugs and drugs. I might add 1 day post USMLE to decompress. Anything beyond 2 days I will probably waste time.

Regionals require a personal statement and interview from what I was told by a few that are doing regionals. St. Barnabas (bronx) interviews are not stress interviews.

Regionals require a personal statement and interview from what I was told by a few that are doing regionals. St. Barnabas (bronx) interviews are not stress interviews.

I was told by a 4th year that Good Sam is a group interview!!:thumbdown: That sounds really nerve racking to me!!! Anyone other than me planning on applying for one there??

So i've been studing Kaplan and First Aids biochem sections and have just recently completed Stepp's Biochem notes. Whats the deal with Stepp stating that we need to know every single intermediate's structures.
Heres a direct quote from FA. "Do not spend time on hard-core organic chemistry, mechanisms, and physical chemistry. Detailed chemical structures are infrequently tested." I mean I dont expect the teachers to be reading the review books or anything, but it would be nice if they at least knew what not to make us waist too much time on. Its just really getting old having to study for boards one way and study other pointless material just to be able to pass NYCOMs tests. Sorry just had to get that off my chest.

Damn!!! This just adds more stress to my life. Plus my grammer sucks. Thanks for the info though.

When you signed up for the USMLE via the website you posted in the forum, did you get a couple of error messages followed by a message stating they'd be in touch by email within 24hr with an ID and password? Thats what I got.

When you signed up for the USMLE via the website you posted in the forum, did you get a couple of error messages followed by a message stating they'd be in touch by email within 24hr with an ID and password? Thats what I got.

yes. also i was putting in my drivers license for national ID along with my SS# in the appropriate spot and got errors. It went through when i only put in my social security # (still with an error i think). I got 1 email with the info about 24-36 hours later or however long i said in the post at the time.

yes. also i was putting in my drivers license for national ID along with my SS# in the appropriate spot and got errors. It went through when i only put in my social security # (still with an error i think). I got 1 email with the info about 24-36 hours later or however long i said in the post at the time.

Thanks

On a side note, I used to work in this building! The one we have to mail this USMLE form to... never knew the NBME was in there. Ha!

So does anyone know how the regionals work? I want to do St. Barnabas (Bronx) but I am worried about competing with fellow classmates for a spot (which I really don't wanna do, I just wanna be able to gain experience at that hospital without competing for it). From what it looks like so far, it's just an essay and an interview? No Letters of Recommendation?

So does anyone know how the regionals work? I want to do St. Barnabas (Bronx) but I am worried about competing with fellow classmates for a spot (which I really don't wanna do, I just wanna be able to gain experience at that hospital without competing for it). From what it looks like so far, it's just an essay and an interview? No Letters of Recommendation?

There is a meeting today all about it. Also, you're going to be competing. Barnabas is REALLY popular, and there are only something like 6 spots. Unfortunately, competition is the nature of the field, at least while you're still learning. It sucks, but it's not really something you can avoid.

There is a meeting today all about it. Also, you're going to be competing. Barnabas is REALLY popular, and there are only something like 6 spots. Unfortunately, competition is the nature of the field, at least while you're still learning. It sucks, but it's not really something you can avoid.
I thought guy said today they accepted 27/70 last year. :confused:

I think NUMC said 24/70....but St. Barns has 27 spots....U think Lutheran is going to be competitive? Also anyone know about Coney Island?

I'm thinking if u don't get a regional it's not the end of the world, theres atleast 5 hospitals in Brooklyn, and a couple all over LI so its def do able to stay in an area.

I think NUMC said 24/70....but St. Barns has 27 spots....U think Lutheran is going to be competitive? Also anyone know about Coney Island?

I'm thinking if u don't get a regional it's not the end of the world, theres atleast 5 hospitals in Brooklyn, and a couple all over LI so its def do able to stay in an area.

Ya, mid 20s for both NUMC and Barnabus bronx; lutheran 11, so yes competitive, Maimo most competitive it seems(6)

I may not have been paying attn, but I dont recall any rep from Coney Island

Being stuck in a crappy hospital would for a whole year would reallllly suck... on the other hand, it would be nice not to have to bounce around from place to place... I see +/- to both situations.

I think I am going to roll the dice and enter the match.

I wrote down:
27/70 - St Barnabas (bronx)
24/50 - NUMC
6 spots - Maimonides

Chances are these are the best odds you are going to see when applying for a spot(med school, residencies, fellowships, jobs, dean of a medical school ;) etc.) in your medical career. Just like in the situations mentioned, some of these students are applying to multiple locations. :luck:

I thought guy said today they accepted 27/70 last year. :confused:

Yeah, sorry... Last year everyone was talking about how maimonides and barnabas only take like 5 people each, blah blah.... Apparently barnabas took a lot more :)

Like Huntergatherer said.... Many of the people applying are applying to multiple sites, so it's not like 200 people applied to regionals, probably more like 100 do, and most of them get spots somewhere.

My only fear with matchsticks is that SOMEONE has to rotate in buffalo and PA... and I REALLY don't want that to be me! :) (Schenectady not as scary for me since I'm from the Albany area, but others probably feel the same way about that site).

some older SDN posts mentioned NUMC having financial probs... anyone have any updates on this? Was this resolved with them becoming affiliates with LIJ?

They're only "affiliated" with North Shore...

They are pumping $240 million into the hospital though now. I wonder where they got that money.

what is the estimate on all the hands raised in the meeting today for students planning to do regionals? 100 or so?

i'd say about 1/2 the people raised their hands for the regionals...so thats about 100... but when that gets split up between brooklyn, bronx, NJ, and long island, its only 25 or so for each..which isnt terrible in terms of odds..

for matchstix, anyone know if alot of people try to take psych first?

thanx

do they tell you all the schools and the spots they have for regionals at a meeting next during 2nd year or is it on the nycom website somewhere

The hospitals are on the website somewhere if you look around.

Off the top of my head the 9 hospitals are:

1. Coney Island
2. Good Sam (Islip)
3. Lutheran
4. Maimonides
5. NUMC
6. New Jersey, etc. (don't know names)
7. Upstate somewhere near binghamton (don't know names)
8. Upstate somewhere 1.5 hours north of city (again, don't know names)
9. St. Barnabas (Bronx)

I wasn't paying attention to all the spots...but NUMC has about 25, St. Barnabas has about 27, and Good Sam had like 16-20. St. Barnabas usually gets the most applicants (figure maybe 70 something), NUMC had about 50 last year. Maimonides is probably the most competitive, only 6 spots and probably a lot of applicants. I'm really not so sure of the other places. You also have to realize that many people apply to more than 1 regional and I have a feeling the upstate ones aren't so competitive.

There are better hospitals if you choose to do rotations but it's a random process.

maimonaides sounded like a good program and from what ive heard from 3rd and 4th years, it might be the best of the regionals as far as learning, but the limited spots make it competitive. st barnabas (bronx) woud offer the most experience bc you will see a lot of different pathology. i also heard numc isnt all its cracked up to be according to presentation the other day. this is just what ive heard from some upperclassman, maybe others have more info based on what they have heard. share what u know about the regional spots guys!

If I could do LIJ, North Shore, Queens Hospital it would look way better than saying I rotated at St. Barnabas for sure. Those three are well regarded hospitals in NYC especially LIJ and NS, St. Barnabas not so much. The only problem is this damn lottery. How feasible do u guys think it would be to get those hospitals?

Like what do people in the past say? Do some end up going to their 12th choice?

i have heard the odds arent that great to get sent away to upstate, but it can happen. i know a 3rd year now who got stuck with an upstate spot, but they easily traded it with another person. i guess the "choice of choice" option helps out too and usually works out unless there is something like 3 spots at a very popular hospital. its all odds and luck in that situation. the list of places to match though does make the option of applying for a regional hard to accomplish. the exposure of going to those different hospitals is sure to help you out in the future i think and therefore, i think im goin to apply for the matchstix. there are enough hospitals on the list that are held in higher esteem than the regional spots (some not), and if you get stuck in a hospital you dont like for 6 weeks so what, at least its not getting stuck in a situation that doesnt fit you for over a year. just my opinion

I think the hospital fair and also more importantly, interviewing at the hospitals, will give us a better idea of them. www.scutwork.com has residency reviews which should give some idea of what overall life is like at said hospital as well.

the hospital fair is usually garbage. everyone tells you their hospital has the best residents and the best learning experiences. go and get your free pens but take what they say with a grain of salt.

of course north shore is usually the most popular hospital. there were people in my class who chose that as their choice of choice for medicine and didnt get it because its so popular. but from what i hear, the hands on learning there is minimal. they have great lectures and all, but most of the patients are private and wont let students near them. i hear queens hospital is great for more of the procedural stuff.

dont knock rotating at barnabas. it may not be as "famous" but it doesnt mean you wont get excellent training there. honestly, from a students perspective, i think its better to go to the hospitals that are in underserved neighborhoods, because it gives you more of an opportunity to get your hands dirty. the private patients wont let you touch them. and regarding LORs, its less important who wrote it for you. you want a letter thats personal and really highlights your good qualities and makes you sound awesome. its often difficult to get the real big-wig to get to know you that well and write a meaningful letter.

matchstix does a fairly good job considering it has 300 people to deal with. yes people do get stuck with their 15th choice sometimes, but it really cant always be avoided. you will have the chance to switch with people once the results come out. just rank them honestly, if you are dead set against going to buffalo, put it last. yes alot of people try to do psych first because they figure its easy and most people dont want to go into psych. but the order of rotations doesnt matter so much usually. if you know what field you want to go into, try to make that rotation in the middle. if you want to take step 2 right away after rotations, try to do medicine last. but it really doesnt matter. you will suck at the beginning of every rotation.

good luck planning

GO GIANTS!!!

So doesanyone know anything about Lutheran or Coney for the regionals. Their "marks" on those feedback forms seem to be OK. Although i have heard that they are both pretty bad hospitals, especially coney. But i have VERY limited information from previous students about those 2 places.

One of my biggest concerns is that i heard in Coney the attendings arent available and the teaching is left to the residents which are mostly FMG's and they dont speak english that well (not dissing them, just saying).

Any 3rd or 4th years on this issue would be very helpful, or if anyone spoke to anyone about this, please post some comments or thoughts on the matter.

**Back to memorizing useless intermediates' structures, b/c i can totally see the scenario of a midsurgery quesiton by an attending, "while we stop this bleeding, why dont you draw out the structure of pyruvate" - USELESS ******

lutheran has always been pretty good in teaching. of course, this can vary between rotations. surgery at lutheran is brutal. i just hear awful things about coney.

Hey guys,
If anyone is looking for a place, there is one available right now:
Very nice room in Glen Cove. Large 1 bedroom with its own bathroom in a three bedroom apartment. Fully furnished room (brand new furniture), large closet, separate bathroom, 2 windows. Share with two other NYCOM students. 533/mnth + share of utilities. You can msg me if you're interested or know someone who is.. :)

Male or female students looking for male or female students?

Does anybody know how to get to the old site showing Class of 2009s old streams and tests. Everytime I go to the still site it only has links for 3rd yr rotations. Thanks.

Does anybody know how to get to the old site showing Class of 2009s old streams and tests. Everytime I go to the still site it only has links for 3rd yr rotations. Thanks.

You have to sign up for their noodle classes. They took that stuff off still