*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 *** pt. 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks nvshelat! anyone else?

very much, is that we were busy reading all the damn time.

i mostly agree with what the dude said. feel like we spent a lot of the first year f&*(ing around, although i do think we learned nearly all of physio really really well. but that's not enough to have gotten out of a whole year. here are the places where i diverge, just as another opinion, no judgment intended. i've never liked review books. never much used them and am glad for it. i took the kaplan board review in the month before the boards and then had a little over a week to self-study before i took them. i thought spending 2 years reading guyton, robbins, goodman and gilman, mark's, etc.etc.etc. cover to cover (in the case of guyton and robbins, much of it more than once or twice) and then delving into the more current literature was a good way to go for that period. i wanted to be focused on really learning medicine. i wanted to avoid conflating that with studying for the boards. then classes ended, and i put learning medicine on hold for a month and switched to concentrating on passing the boards (with kaplan liveprep as my guide -- it was really useful for organizing and streamlining reviewing, but would have been too superficial a substitute for learning what i feel like i need for knowing medicine). i feel like it hepled categorize all the reading i'd done for two years, and told me what to flash-memorize just for the exam. then i took the boards, and have switched gears back to studying medicine. the boards are not medicine. they are the boards. and unlike nvshelat, my usmle was out of left field. it can happen.

dpc. what to say while still under the shadow of not yet having a degree granted...hahaha :laugh: i'll say this. i would have gone crazy dealing with lecture based, personally. the autonomy was a blessing and a curse. i think it's a very personal thing how you react to it and what you make of it and if you don't have a lot of self-awareness and a harsh inner critic prodding you on you likely will not get enough out of it. wow that was a run-on sentence. as a digression, i used to be a great writer. med school has killed it. anyway, the one great thing i got out of dpc was learning a deeper sense of tolerance and gaining the ability (with some growing pains) to keep my mouth shut when necessary.

i passed both boards and i feel really comfortable in the hospital. but i keep running up against little dark alleys of knowledge that i didn't even know were there. because i had no roadmap to know they were there. and, yes, a lot of them are neuro and genetics related.

best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello All,

I'm in the class of 2012 and starting school soon. Since you guys have already taken the boards (congrats!), based on your experiences would you advise preparing from the start with board prep books? In addition to routine studying for school exams, would it be that helpful? How would you do it???
Thanks for your time and advice.

DESPERATELY SEEKING ROOMMATE! I was accepted at another school and decided to go there instead. I have a really nice room in a 3 bedroom 2 bath apt in Glen Cove. $575 a month. heat, water and 2 awesome roommates included. message me for details. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
How is everyone doing so far on their first rotation? I know i'm going to hate the hours. Did anyone start off with surgery? P.S. paging gobiggreen :)

I am wondering what you guys think of the medical Spanish course.
I want to take it but don't want to cost previous board studying time.
I don't know much Spanish.

I am wondering what you guys think of the medical Spanish course.
I want to take it but don't want to cost previous board studying time.
I don't know much Spanish.

If you've ever taken spanish before, don't bother. It will just drive you nuts to listen to her mispronounce every word in her horrible long island accent.
If you've never taken it, it's a decent introduction to the vocab, but she doesn't get into the basics of why words are conjugated the way they are, etc, which is stupid.

Can any of you guys explain what the deal is with the upcoming AOA conference in Vegas and how we get NYCOM to foot the bill? They actually gave us 2 days off for it, but that's all they've told us so far.

Hey does anyone know if our logs are supposed in GURU under the Logs record and Deal record only or are you supposed to have it under procedural logs as well in our matchstix account?

:confused:Does anyone know WHERE on the NYCOM website you can find the supposed list of approved ambulatory preceptors? Can you post the link if so?

Is it true that new preceptors can be added to the list?

Anyone have any other good tips that will help us not pull all our hair out of our heads?:laugh:

-Dan

Room available in Westbury - 15 min from school, It's clean, quiet, and affordable. One room is available in a 3 bedroom apartment with full bath, kitchen, living room, and washer/dryer
Please message me if u r interested (or send the word to anyone who is)

Does anyone know how to submit feedback for a rotation if it does not appear under the "submit site feedback" link?? I never submitted peds for slot 3 and now there seems to be no place for me to submit feedback...I only see conformation for submitting slot 4, nothing for 1 or 2 either! I don't want to have my grades withheld!!

Hey third years, I have two unrelated questions

1) Now that you have had taste of rotations, what advice do you have about where we should apply?

Is a regional better then a regular matchstick rotation? I honestly dont know what I want to do yet, if thats the case, what order would be best for me?

I know different people would have different answers, but I like your insight. I have been readin your thread, and smiling when we have the same issues the next year.

2) Ok, how to study for the boards... I am doing Kaplans. Do I watch their videos? Read their books?

Are there any other books like goljans path I heard about, that I should get to study with. Right n ow all I have is Kaplans.

If there is anything you want to throw in thats great too.

Congrats on almost being fourth years!

Now what? Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

There is always stripping for some extra cash. BUT first try grad plus. staffords max at around 200k, and grad plus, which i think is also federal, is different. cuz i know you can take around 25k per year on TOP of the staffords. Otherwise, in this economy, gotta hit the pole.

QUESTION: Anyone know what the heck we are having in end of june, after our last shelf? i have my calenar down for a few days of being on campus, but didnt write for what.

QUESTION: Anyone know what the heck we are having in end of june, after our last shelf? i have my calenar down for a few days of being on campus, but didnt write for what.

Not sure but I was told by 4th years they took some short EM type course and exam at the end of 3rd year. Not sure if that is what it is.

Congrats everyone, WE'RE DONE!! :clap: :claps: :biglove: :banana: :woot: :soexcited: