*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 *** pt. 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ahhh! You win!! Glad I went to class... Although I am waiting to see what happens if someone has a legitimate excuse for not being in class today, and they want the stream.... (ps, it got streamed, it's just not posted)

Did any one see the mad man running out of the class at the end of his lecture and yelling at us to get in the class for Pavia's lecture? It was hilarious. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone want to recap what happened? I wasn't there...not that it was necessarily the most legitimate excuse but it was my daughter's 2nd birthday. Otherwise I would have actually probably gone...

The answers for the questions on the exercise lecture were b, False and c respectively.

Sometimes, the answers we seek lie only in the past. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone want to recap what happened? I wasn't there...not that it was necessarily the most legitimate excuse but it was my daughter's 2nd birthday. Otherwise I would have actually probably gone...

She really didn't have too much to say. Her powerpoint is pretty short and she just kept saying "you may wanna pay attention to this bullet" meaning all the ?s are coming straight from the ppt. So just read it and you should be fine. Most of the lecture was common sense. Pay attention to the temperature stuff, that's all i remember off the top of my head.

i feel bad for the woman who gave the lecture for scands. there were like 30 people there, I guess no one wanted to show for HIS lecture, too bad it wasnt him talking. I bet he had a nice look on his face, too bad no one was there to see it.

And why is the DEAN giving the most b.s. lecture??? shouldnt he give us something more important? Weird.

SO ONE MORE WEEK LEFT GUYS! Cant wait to start partying, oh wait the boards, damn.

He's a sports medicine doctor, what else would he lecture on. High yield stuff right there. He did do that Medical Conduct lecture back in the day.

Can't wait for this to be over, everytime I look at a lecture I feel like I should be doing something more productive.

hey guys, i'm a first year and was wondering how our rankings work? is it done at the end of basic sciences and are we able to know where we stand? thanks!

hey guys, i'm a first year and was wondering how our rankings work? is it done at the end of basic sciences and are we able to know where we stand? thanks!

Since the school claims they don't rank us, i'm pretty sure you can't find out your rank. What they send out for residencies is percentiles. So like you are in the top 15% top 25% etc. Not an exact #/275.

Hey does anybody know how to complete the last step of the PDA logs where you check and submit them on the web. The tutorial says to go to http://nycomlogs.nyit.edu but every time i type it in my browser cant find the page. Is there some other page we are supposed to be going to?

I finally opened my PDA today. Charging...

Hey does anybody know how to complete the last step of the PDA logs where you check and submit them on the web. The tutorial says to go to http://nycomlogs.nyit.edu but every time i type it in my browser cant find the page. Is there some other page we are supposed to be going to?
Never mind. I just clicked on this link and it went to the page. It must have been down earlier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a heads up for anyone installing Palm Desktop on Windows Vista, you'll have to download a newer version from the Palm website; the CD wouldn't install for me.

If you have Windows XP Media Center Edition you may get the 1607 error and the palm desktop installation disc does not continue after choosing a language and clicking 'next' on following screen.

Go to the palm web site and get the newest version of the software. On their website it states that their software does not work under Windows XP Media Center but the version I downloaded actually worked without probs.

To change username on tungsten E2 use the palm desktop software on your laptop/pc and edit the user from the drop down menu in top right corner. Hotsync.

This definitely took more time than I wanted it to!

If any of you are planning to use docs to go, it is not available for download unless you pay for it. You need to put your cd in, open it as a folder (like go to my computer, then open it from there), and find the docstogo.exe and run it. Same thing with solitaire :)

Hey 2nd years; for Hoffman's derm lecs do we need to know a lot of her pictures of the different disorders/lesions etc? She says to use this derm atlas, however your test didn't have many pictures.

Hey 2nd years; for Hoffman's derm lecs do we need to know a lot of her pictures of the different disorders/lesions etc? She says to use this derm atlas, however your test didn't have many pictures.

I didn't use an atlas. She gave us a review, but she may not be aware that you guys have 2 tests, so you may not get the review until before the 2nd test. I would say know the descriptions more than the pictures

Okay I figured.... I luv this unit :) So little material with 2 tests.

Our review last year wasn't streamed but I remember the day she did it I compared my notes to 2009's review and it was identical so if she's not giving the review before the 1st exam go stream 2009s last lecture by her. For us, if you knew nothing than what she said in her review you got 100% of her questions right.

Excellent news. The 2005 integ unit you are talking about right?

Hi guys, I'll actually be a first yr this fall. I had a quick question what books are good for following subjects? I basically inherited a bunch of books from a relative and want to see if I have the right stuff.

parham's immuno?
neuroanatomy
microbio
genetics
pharmacology

And I can't wait until our official list comes out cuz I'll be on vacation until right before orientation and would like to get books now.

Thanks for your help.

You don't need any books except for anatomy lol.

My recommendations:

First AID USMLE Step 1. It's not a required book, but buy it. It's in my opinion the most important single book for the first 2 years.

Get a Path review book (BRS Path or Goljan) or both...i recently got Goljan and while I like it a lot, I think BRS path may be better for exams. It does a better job explaining things. You should also probably get a Robbins although I haven't really used it as much as my review books to be honest.

Get neuroanatomy through clinical cases for neuro. I loved that book.

Get Moore & Dalley and One of the picture anatomy texts that show actual cadavers.

Whatever you do DONT BUY BATES.

I would also get a Harrison's. You can access the text online, but I hate reading off a computer. Harrison's pretty much has everything in it.

Microbiology Made ridiculously simple- the only resource I would use for microbio. I first got it this year and it's really helped me in microbio. I wish I had it last year.

OMT by Savarese- the best book for OMM. Great for the Boards as well.

Immuno by Parham...I liked it, not necessarily a must have.

Anyway, in my opinion, that's all you'll need. Most of the required texts are terrible books and 99% of lecturers take most of their material from their powerpoints. The books you need should really be so you can focus on studying for the boards, not the exams. To do well on exams focus mostly on the powerpoints and on First Aid.

Anyway, that's my opinion, I hope this helps.

hey- figured i would ask you guys about commuting. i live in a great rent-control apt in manhattan (about 10-15 min from the 59th st. bridge) and dont want to give it up. is it crazy to commute to nycom? does anyone in your class commute from the city? just wanted to hear your thoughts....thanks for any advice!!

Some people commute. Now, assuming they don't alter the attendance policy again, you will probably only HAVE to be here 2-3 days a week. If you like going to class though, 5 days a week from Manhattan is a bit of a chore. You'll have close to 2 hours commuting a day from there if you hit only moderate traffic...you may have up to 3 hours a day...factor in tolls and $5 gas and you may want to consider moving closer to here just from a money standpoint...

Again though...if you're not a lecture person, it probably won't be that big of a deal. You'll only have to be here for dissection, OMM, and ICC. So figure 2-3 days a week.

Now, on the other hand...living in the city will likely really help you out during 3rd and 4th year where most hospitals are pretty close to Manhattan and you'll basically be reverse commuting to any of them. That might be the biggest perk to keep in mind. You can also try to keep yourself in Manhattan only hospitals during 4th year and really give yourself a break.

I commuted from brookyn and when attendance wasnt mandatory it was fine. however, chances are attendance will be made mandatory next year with absolutely NO loop holes. So do your best to find an apt in LI because commuting for 2 hours each way will kill a lot of study time and in the end can be a reason for you to needlessly fail

hey- figured i would ask you guys about commuting. i live in a great rent-control apt in manhattan (about 10-15 min from the 59th st. bridge) and dont want to give it up. is it crazy to commute to nycom? does anyone in your class commute from the city? just wanted to hear your thoughts....thanks for any advice!!

One of my friends lives on the upper east side and comes to class everyday. If you want it to happen you can, but it may get pretty frustrating with city traffic. My commute is 25 minutes to an hour and I don't have a problem with it and still made it to 95% of class. I come from east of the school though so its different for me than it will be for you.

Congrats to everyone for finishing pre-clinical years! :hardy:

When they gonna post the key? :mad:

Honestly, what in the world takes so long...

It is utterly ridiculous that it's almost 2 weeks since we took the test and they can't send out honors information yet. What takes this school so long?

Anyone know if we have to use the same lender every year for gradplus?

If we CAN change lenders, anyone know the lowest ones? Unless i am missing something, all the good breaks seen last year are gone? am i missing something.

It is utterly ridiculous that it's almost 2 weeks since we took the test and they can't send out honors information yet. What takes this school so long?
I agree, its bs, good thing we dont have to deal with all the crap anymore, finally done with this school.

Anyone else taking USMLE before COMLEX? I am taking it next week. Any suggestions, advice, recommendations?

hey guys,

did you get an email about about a "study session" on Thursday from 330pm to 630 pm? did anyone else feel that it is a bit excessive to have 9 hours of class, especially considering that on Sunday, we have a 4 hour diagnostic exam that we don't even get answer explanations to?

if you guys want to move this to a time that is more convenient for all of us instead of the Kaplan people, lets email Rebecca and ask her to come in and decide on a day/time that is more convenient for us.
[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]
Rebecca Kravitz
.[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif][email protected].

Am I the only one pulling my hair out trying to find what they're talking about in the email they sent out?

"Please make sure you check the web under Affiliated Hospitals to see what the hospitals require you to do."

Where on the NYCOM site is this??? I've looked on the NYCOMEC page, webboard and even the matchstix page.

Am I the only one pulling my hair out trying to find what they're talking about in the email they sent out?

"Please make sure you check the web under Affiliated Hospitals to see what the hospitals require you to do."

Where on the NYCOM site is this??? I've looked on the NYCOMEC page, webboard and even the matchstix page.

If you go to the still site, there is a link that says "affiliated hospitals"

Thank god USMLE is done and over with. Now waiting for COMLEX-1 on Thursday.
Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
Are we supposed to get loan money mid-July?

For those who went, any comments on the OMM review session today? I did not go.

I'm pretty sure that they have to give us our money w/in 14 days of when our school year starts (july 2nd in this case), but i'm not 100% positive.

Plus, just got the email that the OMM was streamed (yay Dr. Yao).

what about the powerpoint?

Anyone else catch Dr. Solounias on the history channel today? He was on Histories Mysteries - Ancient Monster Hunters

Dr. Solounias rules. He was my interviewier in December. Most comfortable, laid back interview I had! I can't wait to have him as a professor. He seems like a fantastic guy.