*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 *** pt. 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yea, maesaka had a few questions that seemed like they were from out of left field. Going in though, I didn't really know what to expect from him. It just sucked that he asked us 15 out of 60 questions.

I didn't find the DPR stuff that bad. I never read Bates either. All I usually do is read the final posted version of the cases. This time I also read the article they posted and the guide to managing catheters.

Sometimes DPR asks Bates questions from out of nowhere though which is annoying. I think the toughest thing this time is we haven't had any clinical lectures but the DPR stuff is all clinical. It's poor scheduling on their part.

Members don't see this ad.

yea, maesaka had a few questions that seemed like they were from out of left field. Going in though, I didn't really know what to expect from him. It just sucked that he asked us 15 out of 60 questions.

I didn't find the DPR stuff that bad. I never read Bates either. All I usually do is read the final posted version of the cases. This time I also read the article they posted and the guide to managing catheters.

Sometimes DPR asks Bates questions from out of nowhere though which is annoying. I think the toughest thing this time is we haven't had any clinical lectures but the DPR stuff is all clinical. It's poor scheduling on their part.
Some of his questions were very vague. :confused:

regional e-mails are in!!!!!!!!!!!!:hardy:

whose going where???????????

and damn GU test sucked

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats guys! I hope everyone got the rotations/sites they wanted! :thumbup:

I got Good Sam!! :D:D

Congrats to everyone who got what they wanted!! :thumbup:

congrats to those who got their regional.

they better throw out that question with the asterisk next to the answer...only cuz im one of the few idiots that thought it was too good to be true and picked another answer lol...i guess i was a little paranoid that morning or something, as if nycom's out to screw me over...oh wait, that actually might be true

anyway, maeseka's questions werent fun, neither were the dpr questions. his wording was really vague.

oh and apparently we're not allowed to sell our pda's...good thing kumar sent that email out cuz i got a buyer on craigs list. and in the email he also said not to use a smartphone cuz they cant be sure if the OS will be compatible with the software or not...and they wouldnt be able to help you troubleshoot either. so basically, keep the e2, and if you want wifi, get the card.

they better throw out that question with the asterisk next to the answer...only cuz im one of the few idiots that thought it was too good to be true and picked another answer lol...i guess i was a little paranoid that morning or something, as if nycom's out to screw me over...oh wait, that actually might be true

I didn't pick the starred answer either since I also thought it was too good to be true. I wrote a challenge saying it should be dropped and I got a rather rude response from him back about it. :thumbdown:

I thought the answer for that was collecting duct, because like you said "It seemed too good to be true".

Is anyone else's Reproduction grade 3 points lower on Guru than what you calculated it out to be? I graded my exam three times and keep getting the same grade. I'm super careful filling in my scantron and recheck every bubble at the end since last year during Immuno I made a scantron mistake and failed the course and had to retest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget Matchstix is due tonight everybody! :eek:

My repro grade was correct...I think.

Every once in a while they forget to update the scantron though with the newly accepted answers. You should definitely question someone about it if you don't think your grade is correct.

Hey, anyone know anything about the kaplan course besides it being from 5/14-6/6?

What are the hours and how the hours are structured(lectures vs practice tests)?
Will it also include weekends?

Also can you guys believe we have been b*tching on this forum for almost 2 years now? only 2 more to go.

Also, to liven up everyones day, you can RETAKE the boards many times, not just once like last years lecture exams. (looks like **** for residency but you WILL get in somewhere). This realization is helping me cope with my total lack of knowledge easier.:thumbup:

Plasticman is seeking information on Queens neighborhoods. I'm getting married this summer, so will need a place for my future wife, my dog and I that is central to rotations and closer to the city for her. What neighborhoods would be more along the lines of a house apartment rather than an apartment building? I'm preferring a place w/ a driveway parking or garage as I hate having to move for alternate side parking, etc. Can anyone recommend any neighborhoods like this?

Plasticman is seeking information on Queens neighborhoods. I'm getting married this summer, so will need a place for my future wife, my dog and I that is central to rotations and closer to the city for her. What neighborhoods would be more along the lines of a house apartment rather than an apartment building? I'm preferring a place w/ a driveway parking or garage as I hate having to move for alternate side parking, etc. Can anyone recommend any neighborhoods like this?

Sounds like Bayside would be ideal for you guys. There are a lot of house apts available. You can take either the LIRR or the bus to the 7 train to get to the city.

areas like bayside, floral park or areas closer to the border of nassau and queens. there are areas like jamaica or jamaica estates but youll most likely run into the problem of alternate side parking rules and what not. that's a problem you really cant escape once you get into the heart of queens. one suggestion, i would say try to keep away from the richmond hills area...my friends and family say that's probably not the greatest of neighborhoods in queens.

hey guys, i haven't been on here in awhile, nice to see that everyone's still active!

i got st. barnabas in the bronx (yea!!), and i'm ideally hoping to room with 1 or 2 other kids at the regional for the year. ideally, i'd like to live in one of the nicer neighborhoods in the bronx (pelham, throg's neck, parkchester, etc), since craig's list has some terrific apts listed there and it removes the hassle of paying a bridge toll (and fighting traffic). without traffic, these areas are like 15-20 min to the hospital, and it's very easy to get to both nycom (for seminars, shelf exams) and queens (for boozing it up =P ).

please let me know if you're interested, or if you know someone who might be. in general, i like clean people, no cats (sorry, i'm allergic!), and a moderate amount of noise is fine by me. dogs are also ok, if you want to bring yours from home. no drama, please! you can reach me at [email protected] anytime. thanks, everyone!

hey guys, i haven't been on here in awhile, nice to see that everyone's still active!

i got st. barnabas in the bronx (yea!!), and i'm ideally hoping to room with 1 or 2 other kids at the regional for the year. ideally, i'd like to live in one of the nicer neighborhoods in the bronx (pelham, throg's neck, parkchester, etc), since craig's list has some terrific apts listed there and it removes the hassle of paying a bridge toll (and fighting traffic). without traffic, these areas are like 15-20 min to the hospital, and it's very easy to get to both nycom (for seminars, shelf exams) and queens (for boozing it up =P ).

please let me know if you're interested, or if you know someone who might be. in general, i like clean people, no cats (sorry, i'm allergic!), and a moderate amount of noise is fine by me. dogs are also ok, if you want to bring yours from home. no drama, please! you can reach me at [email protected] anytime. thanks, everyone!
Another neighborhood, you might want to look into is Inwood. It's just over the bridge (free) from the bronx, the last tip of northern manhattan. It's pretty close to barnabas and cheap. Any areas to the west of broadway are nice, pretty safe areas.

Random question: Does NYCOM send out the 2008 matchlist to all of the students, or just the 4th yrs? I'm just curious how everyone did :)

To the people in this class that are in the DPC program, do you feel that DPC is preparing you well for the USMLE/COMLEX?

To the people in this class that are in the DPC program, do you feel that DPC is preparing you well for the USMLE/COMLEX?

In a short answer, I'd say yeah. But DPC makes you do your own work from day one, and that includes boards prep. There certainly aren't any boards-style review sessions. We can't really wait for the content exams to start including boards-style questions, because that doesn't happen in a significant way until 2nd year. But we've all been using the BRS books and Kaplan and stuff all along to study for exams, and we usually test each other with the questions at the end of each section. A lot of my friends are into the Kaplan videos right now (as well as Goljan lectures) and they find them helpful. I tend to be more visual than auditory, so I stick to reading the textbooks and putting together my own outlined notes out of Robbins, etc. The Robbins CD is very big with everyone, I think we all use it universally to test ourselves before exams. Some people are signing up for the Kaplan course as well, but again, it depends on individual studying style. But the bottom line is that we have to teach ourselves out of the textbooks most of the time, so we use the BRS review books as sort of "idiot's guide to..." before diving into the heavy textbook content, and then later to review before exams.

The only thing that DPC really does specifically for the boards is the occasional problem set, where they address stuff that doesn't come up as much in our case studies (ex: reading 12 EKGs at a time, microbiology, a few pharm subjects). But that isn't really boards-style studying, it's just going through the material and answering questions.

Another neighborhood, you might want to look into is Inwood. It's just over the bridge (free) from the bronx, the last tip of northern manhattan. It's pretty close to barnabas and cheap. Any areas to the west of broadway are nice, pretty safe areas.

Yeah Inwood west of Broadway and close to the park is nice and the A train is right there and runs express into manhattan. Another area you might want to look into in the Bronx is Riverdale, I think its the best neighborhood in the Bronx. Its expensive but its safe, I don't worry about my car at night or walking home at 4am.

I got the St. Barnabas regional to and I'm looking in Riverdale, Inwood and Pelham.

So did anyone get a treo and if so does the software work well?

i am having second thoughts about getting mine, nervous that it wont work.

yeah, i thought about those neighborhoods too. unfortunately my bf lives in forest hills and i don't want to make it impossible for us to hang out, so i was thinking more on the east side of the bronx.

Speaking of neighborhoods, what's up with the toll hikes? It's now $8 cash for Jersey crossings and $5 each way for the MTA crossings. The MTA crossings are avoidable, but there's no way getting around the NJ crossings. :thumbdown: :mad:

Hey plastic queens resident here. you should look into the woodside area. close to the city and also to the LIE... nice place, i have a bunch of friends that moved into that area very decent rent and i havent heard any complaints from them.

Hey guys does school send out the match list or does it get published online or something?

last year's match list is on the still site. they havent put out the 2008 one yet. but i can tell you where about 25 people are going if you'd like :laugh:

here is a random list of 2008 matches, both AOA and ACGME. i think about half the class did AOA match, the other ACGME.

psychiatry, nyu
ophthalmology, pcom and howard
neurosurgery, LIJ and somewhere in michigan
anesthesia, st lukes roosevelt and downstate
pm&r, nyu
pediatrics, LIJ schneiders and rochester
EM, st barnabas bronx and good sam
general surgery, pcom and wyckoff
orthopedic surgery, peninsula
obgyn, st barnabas new jersey
FP, christiana care delaware and georgetown
radiology, st barnabas bronx

this is all from people i talked to. if i get the entire list i will post it.

hey guys, random ?, how would you say derm was last yr? thanks.

hey guys, random ?, how would you say derm was last yr? thanks.
Material is not difficult to understand and seemed easy, so they made sure to make the test extra nitpicky and tricksy. At least this was my impression of it.

thanx for the match info peewee...

i thought derm was by far our easiest course last year...i studied outside in my backyard for 3-4 days for the entire exam (it covered 4 weeks of material for us) and did fine...but i guess its different for everyone. i thought immuno was our most difficult course. however, that may have been because we only had one exam on 8 weeks of information, including the antineoplastics and immunomodulating drugs which were a killer for me.

in general i like 2nd year much better than 1st year. good luck!

thanx for the match info peewee...

i thought derm was by far our easiest course last year...i studied outside in my backyard for 3-4 days for the entire exam (it covered 4 weeks of material for us) and did fine...but i guess its different for everyone. i thought immuno was our most difficult course. however, that may have been because we only had one exam on 8 weeks of information, including the antineoplastics and immunomodulating drugs which were a killer for me.

in general i like 2nd year much better than 1st year. good luck!
Funny, for me, Immuno was the easiest course. Derm and Neuro were the hardest. :confused:

I could have sworn I heard someone matched radiology at Yale today in lecture. If I wasn't imagining it...then wow that rocks! :thumbup:
here is a random list of 2008 matches, both AOA and ACGME. i think about half the class did AOA match, the other ACGME.

psychiatry, nyu
ophthalmology, pcom and howard
neurosurgery, LIJ and somewhere in michigan
anesthesia, st lukes roosevelt and downstate
pm&r, nyu
pediatrics, LIJ schneiders and rochester
EM, st barnabas bronx and good sam
general surgery, pcom and wyckoff
orthopedic surgery, peninsula
obgyn, st barnabas new jersey
FP, christiana care delaware and georgetown
radiology, st barnabas bronx

this is all from people i talked to. if i get the entire list i will post it.

thats very possible. if thats true i can make a good guess who it is. last year we matched yale anesthesia and harvard peds neuro.

edit to add: this year someone matched at hopkins for IM

One of the clinical ladies let me look at the results for the AOA match b/c i was in her office and there were alot of fourth yrs that went the DO way. I think a majority on the AOA list where doing NYCOMEC residency's. This was like last month so the MD match results hadn't come in.

But I wonder why is it that people say NYCOM does bad on its boards but we end up getting some pretty nice residency spots, it confuses me.

Derm was pretty easy, its run by Fischers wife. I think Derm and Endocrine was my most enjoyable blocks.

Derm is pretty boring in my opinion but easy. To be honest, you don't need to study much. Hoffman (fisher's wife) has like 40 exam questions and tells you basically every question she's going to ask during her last lecture.

Other than that, the other lectures were pretty simple as well.

I didn't particularly like the course, but it's rather simple. I had similar feelings toward endocrine as well. Honestly, now that you got neuro out of the way, IMO you are done with the hard stuff.

dr. elkowitz told us today that someone matched yale radiology this year.

Hey all. Congrats on those who got the SBX regional! I live in the Bronx now and can totally help anyone who is confused on what the safe areas are in the Bronx. I live in Throgs neck, very close to Pehlam bay, and in my opinion they are the best place for someone to move to. Super safe (italian area mostly), cheap (for NYC Prices) and it takes me less than 15 min to get to Barn, even with some traffic. I saw someone talking about Riverdale, yes it is a VERY nice, but really expensive and from what i can recall not that close to the hospital. If anyone has an questions email me ([email protected]). I'm going to bring in my local newspaper for my DPC people who also made it into SBX, if you wanna copy just let me know. The little old italian landlords don't know about criags list etc, so the best way to get an appt. in my hood is via the penny pintcher or the Bx. times.

im hearing rumors that someone matched allopathic derm too. who knows. i dont think they officially release the list till after graduation. but i am still trying to find out.

im hearing rumors that someone matched allopathic derm too. who knows. i dont think they officially release the list till after graduation. but i am still trying to find out.

Hi PeeWee, I found you!