*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 *** pt. 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dr. Solounias rules. He was my interviewier in December. Most comfortable, laid back interview I had! I can't wait to have him as a professor. He seems like a fantastic guy.
Anatomy department :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else catch Dr. Solounias on the history channel today? He was on Histories Mysteries - Ancient Monster Hunters
With all the emails they send, they didn't send one for this? :confused:

With all the emails they send, they didn't send one for this? :confused:

He's been on a few times (I've missed all of them), and they've never sent an email. I'm not sure if it's the same episode, but I don't think so because I know on one of them he was talking all about Greece. I think they just don't care :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hooray... Done with USMLE-1 and COMLEX-1. Off to Hawaii for 10 days.
Good luck everyone.

Hey guys. hope studying for Comlex is going well.
does anyone have 2007 Kaplan USMLE step 1 lecture Video & Notes please

I can bring my external hard drive and get a copy.

appreciate you help!

See attached for an apartment for rent in Sea Cliff. May be too pricey for one person, but it is great for a couple. Pictures included in the attachment.

Attachments

• 264-upstairs ad.doc
    49 KB · Views: 310
On still site.
Some rockstar matched yale rads. Bunch of other rockstars too, per usual.
Holy crap, childrens hosp of boston

Hey does anyone know where to find any additional info on our rotations as far as when to be there and where to go the first day?

Hey does anyone know where to find any additional info on our rotations as far as when to be there and where to go the first day?

I called the hospital direct and talked to the secretary (Medical Education Office) and found out.

It's posted on the still site. Click on "affiliated hospitals" then it has what to wear, what to bring, where to go on the first day, where to park, etc.

woah, someone got medicine at Hopkins, Derm at Monti....thats just impressive

Members don't see this ad :)
On still site.
Some rockstar matched yale rads. Bunch of other rockstars too, per usual.
Holy crap, childrens hosp of boston

I'm in the class of 2011, and was just wondering what this 'still' site is and where I can view the 2008 match list. Thanks.

I'm taking the COMLEX next week. It says I need my NBOME #. Where do I get that? I have an AOA card that states "student member" and has a 6 digit number under it. Is that it? Thanks.

Next week we might be doing OPQRST!

I'm taking the COMLEX next week. It says I need my NBOME #. Where do I get that? I have an AOA card that states "student member" and has a 6 digit number under it. Is that it? Thanks.

I have the same question. Theres nothing like taking the COMLEX on the last day allowed! :laugh:

Not really sure where to get the NBOME #, but when I took COMLEX the only thing you needed was 2 forms of identification, one with a photo on it.

To all the newly-minted 3rd years, congrats!

I am going to be starting NYCOM in Aug for the class of 2012 and am currently enrolled in DPC.

Can anyone who took the boards recently reflect on their experience in DPC and how it prepared them for boards? My main concern is significant gaps in knowledge. Do you think you were prepared for boards better, worse, or equal to the lecture kids? I understand that a large portion of boards success is attributed to the individual but I am quite nervous (and excited) about DPC.

Also, comments in general about DPC? I see that there is a great deal of administrative distress from the lecture kids, but I rarely see DPC kids from 2010 and 2011 venting on the boards.

THANKS! AND CONGRATS ON TAKING YOUR EXAMS!
Don't worry. Class of 2009 DPC 1st time step1 COMLEX pass was 29/30. That's a 96.6% 1st time pass rate, which is pretty impressive IMO. I'm interested to see the numbers for class of 2010.

Don't worry. Class of 2009 DPC 1st time step1 COMLEX pass was 29/30. That's a 96.6% 1st time pass rate, which is pretty impressive IMO. I'm interested to see the numbers for class of 2010.

Isn't it a little strange that they release DPC's board pass rate but they won't tell us ours?!

Good luck tomorrow everyone. Remember what Fischer taught us: The only reason not to do a rectal exam is 1. No Finger or 2. No Rectum.

To all the newly-minted 3rd years, congrats!

I am going to be starting NYCOM in Aug for the class of 2012 and am currently enrolled in DPC.

Can anyone who took the boards recently reflect on their experience in DPC and how it prepared them for boards? My main concern is significant gaps in knowledge. Do you think you were prepared for boards better, worse, or equal to the lecture kids? I understand that a large portion of boards success is attributed to the individual but I am quite nervous (and excited) about DPC.

Also, comments in general about DPC? I see that there is a great deal of administrative distress from the lecture kids, but I rarely see DPC kids from 2010 and 2011 venting on the boards.

THANKS! AND CONGRATS ON TAKING YOUR EXAMS!

In terms of pathology/pathophysiology of things covered on the boards, we were fine. I think most of us read Guyton/Costanzo/Robbins and Goljan or BRS throughout the year, so when it came time to re-read/review Goljan/BRS for boards it was familiar. It also helps to have a pathologist as the head of the program - I think we were all plenty familiar with slides and trying to correlate them with patient presentation.
In terms of the boards thing, I can only speak for myself - I felt tremendous gaps in my knowledge of microbio & neuro in general. That being said, I felt that (for my exam, at least) FA was sufficient for these topics. In fact, FA and Goljan was sufficient for ALL topics on my USMLE. So while I never really learned micro or neuro, what I learned in FA was enough to get me by on the boards. Same with pharm.
In my final 4-5 weeks of board review, I kept saying to myself over and over again, I wish I had more direction to know THIS is what was important! But then again, I never bothered to ask anyone and never really looked at FA as much as I should have the 1st 2 yrs. I never watched lectures either. So the resources were available to me, but I didn't take full advantage. I wish I had popped open FA and glanced at the 5 or 6 pgs of embryo that is important instead of trying to actually read a book on it. I wish I took pharm flashcards and highlighted onto them everything from FA so I didn't waste time reading G/G. Yes, I read G/G. I wish I looked at the beautiful "big picture" biochem diagram in FA before trying to read/understand all those metabolism chapters so that I knew that the only thing that was important was rate limiting steps and deficiencies.
So while I wish I had more direction, I don't know whose fault that is. I mean, I paying them a lot of money, right? The least I could get is some direction. Many of us felt that we got caught up in irrelevant minutiae the first year and only got our acts together second year. Thats a lot of wasted time. You won't truly appreciate how precious time is until you start your hardcore studying for boards.
The administration... well, some of them are stubborn (to put it mildly). While we told them to change the case library to reflect more neuro and more microbio and less kidney, we got the response, oh so youre experts on the kidney then? So then of course we did what we had to - independent learning, learning things completely unrelated to the case. Outside of their stubborness, I think they're okay - we get fed and we get to b*tch directly to them, and to each other, once a month. Dr. Elkowitz was kind enough to rearrange our schedule a few times when it was clearly unfair, so I think he's definately more "on our side" than the general NYCOM admin's.
Overall, if I could do it again, I would... but would keep MUCH more of an eye towards what is board relevant. You'll get these lines about "you don't know whats gonna be on the boards" and therefore you have to prepare for everything"... IMO, thats erroneous b/c that would mean Kaplan, BRS, FA, all the review companies would be out of business. So just make sure you THOROUGHLY use those review materials alongside your primary sources when youre studying to make sure you take away whats important. Everyones got their favorite books, but your most favorite should be your review books, if for no other reason than the fact that you will not have any other source of direction.

Last edited:
In terms of pathology/pathophysiology of things covered on the boards, we were fine. I think most of us read Guyton/Costanzo/Robbins and Goljan or BRS throughout the year, so when it came time to re-read/review Goljan/BRS for boards it was familiar. It also helps to have a pathologist as the head of the program - I think we were all plenty familiar with slides and trying to correlate them with patient presentation.
In terms of the boards thing, I can only speak for myself - I felt tremendous gaps in my knowledge of microbio & neuro in general. That being said, I felt that (for my exam, at least) FA was sufficient for these topics. In fact, FA and Goljan was sufficient for ALL topics on my USMLE. So while I never really learned micro or neuro, what I learned in FA was enough to get me by on the boards. Same with pharm.
In my final 4-5 weeks of board review, I kept saying to myself over and over again, I wish I had more direction to know THIS is what was important! But then again, I never bothered to ask anyone and never really looked at FA as much as I should have the 1st 2 yrs. I never watched lectures either. So the resources were available to me, but I didn't take full advantage. I wish I had popped open FA and glanced at the 5 or 6 pgs of embryo that is important instead of trying to actually read a book on it. I wish I took pharm flashcards and highlighted onto them everything from FA so I didn't waste time reading G/G. Yes, I read G/G. I wish I looked at the beautiful "big picture" biochem diagram in FA before trying to read/understand all those metabolism chapters so that I knew that the only thing that was important was rate limiting steps and deficiencies.
So while I wish I had more direction, I don't know whose fault that is. I mean, I paying them a lot of money, right? The least I could get is some direction. Many of us felt that we got caught up in irrelevant minutiae the first year and only got our acts together second year. Thats a lot of wasted time. You won't truly appreciate how precious time is until you start your hardcore studying for boards.
The administration... well, some of them are stubborn (to put it mildly). While we told them to change the case library to reflect more neuro and more microbio and less kidney, we got the response, oh so youre experts on the kidney then? So then of course we did what we had to - independent learning, learning things completely unrelated to the case. Outside of their stubborness, I think they're okay - we get fed and we get to b*tch directly to them, and to each other, once a month. Dr. Elkowitz was kind enough to rearrange our schedule a few times when it was clearly unfair, so I think he's definately more "on our side" than the general NYCOM admin's.
Overall, if I could do it again, I would... but would keep MUCH more of an eye towards what is board relevant. You'll get these lines about "you don't know whats gonna be on the boards" and therefore you have to prepare for everything"... IMO, thats erroneous b/c that would mean Kaplan, BRS, FA, all the review companies would be out of business. So just make sure you THOROUGHLY use those review materials alongside your primary sources when youre studying to make sure you take away whats important. Everyones got their favorite books, but your most favorite should be your review books, if for no other reason than the fact that you will not have any other source of direction.

thanks nvshelat! anyone else?

Does this piece of junk E2 only support SD cards with storage capacity 1GB or less? The 18 pages of documentation did not seem to contain this important piece of info but I saw this mentioned in a tech forum. Can't get my 2GB card to get recognized even after soft resets. Thanks.

The palm should beep as soon as you put the card in, I have the 1gb card and it works fine, I figured it might have a problem with the 2gb card but haven't seen any documentation on it.

Oh and btw that program doesn't work that they gave us even with the new card. Even though I've been installing it on the card of my palm, it still refuses to work and just gives me fatal errors and restarts my palm.

Hey does anyone know if the NYIT bookstore carries Maxwell Quick Medical Reference? Both Barnes and Noble and Borders didnt have any left.

hey guys some general questions for people who have been at nycom for awhile:
1. do you take your laptop to class all the time?
2. do you need to get scrubs for 1st 2 years?
3. is there sufficient parking/ or do you need to get to school early for spots
4. how many hours do you study on a regular night after class?

thanks!

hey guys some general questions for people who have been at nycom for awhile:
1. do you take your laptop to class all the time?
2. do you need to get scrubs for 1st 2 years?
3. is there sufficient parking/ or do you need to get to school early for spots
4. how many hours do you study on a regular night after class?

thanks!

1. I took it about 80% of the time but if you find yourself surfing the web instead of paying attention to class leave it in the trunk of your car and take it out during lunch or after class to study. Going to class and having to restream that lecture is wasting time.

2. you should get scrubs to use in OMM lab and Anatomy lab.

3. LOTS of parking. You may want to come 15 minutes early to save yourself 30 seconds of walking. :laugh:

4. This varies depending on when you get out of class, if an exam is coming up, etc. You should study as much as possible in the first few months and each system and then adjust the amount of time as you see fit. If you get the basics down early (pharm, intro path and physio, micro, and anatomy) it will require less study time when you repeatedly encounter it in your education. Start your boards study on day 1.

Oh and btw that program doesn't work that they gave us even with the new card. Even though I've been installing it on the card of my palm, it still refuses to work and just gives me fatal errors and restarts my palm.

Yeah I keep getting a fatal error and have to restart everytime I try to install the new program they bought us. There's a girl on my rotation who got it to work but she couldn't get epocrates to work so maybe only 1 will work at a time? Who knows....I find it kind of funny that they buy us a program that 1 is too big to put on the palm and 2 even if you do get it to work you get a fatal error. They should have just bought us all epocrates.

I got it working but I had to delete a bunch of preinstalled palm software first. It takes up too much memory, try to delete some things and try again. Mine wasn't working at first but now it is.

Does anyone know anything about epocrates...is the $100 version worth it/better than unbound?

Also, does anyone know if we could download the nycom logs programs to use on a windows mobile platform or only palm?

I'm in line to get a new phone and can get either a treo 755p for free or a windows mobile phone which seems like a stronger platform. I'd rather get the windows phone if there was a way I can put the logs software on there. Anything know anything about this as well as if you can get a palm/smartphone and not pay the data fee. I don't care about the internet as much as I care about consolidating what I'm carrying around in the hospital.

found an article by palm on their website. Seems that the max SD card size for the E2 is 1GB.

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/...upportKB,CASE=obj(34080),ts=Palm_External2001

This info is not on the product box, 18 pages of worthless guides, or palm support page. lame.

Lexar, Kingston, and Sandisk 1GB have been used successfully by some users. Stay away from the fancy models and if you can use 512MB or less then go with that.

http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/m...thread.id=15056&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Last edited:
I got it working but I had to delete a bunch of preinstalled palm software first. It takes up too much memory, try to delete some things and try again. Mine wasn't working at first but now it is.

Does anyone know anything about epocrates...is the $100 version worth it/better than unbound?

Also, does anyone know if we could download the nycom logs programs to use on a windows mobile platform or only palm?

I'm in line to get a new phone and can get either a treo 755p for free or a windows mobile phone which seems like a stronger platform. I'd rather get the windows phone if there was a way I can put the logs software on there. Anything know anything about this as well as if you can get a palm/smartphone and not pay the data fee. I don't care about the internet as much as I care about consolidating what I'm carrying around in the hospital.

Get the palm, BUT get the centro not treo. Its a much sleeker phone, and the diff's in screen size(.2 inches) is negligible. I have the centro and its PERFECT, logs work well and i have all the programs, epocrates, archimedes, ripped wash manual, and 5MCC(this one is pretty nice, its got alot of info to read).

Did they ever tell us how often we need to do logs or for how many pts per day. From what i heard it seems just once a week to upload, so does that mean one entry per week is minimum???

Also, i got a 4gb card for my centro but i dont think its usefull unless you want to put alot of music on. All the programs are TINY, and the onboard memory is more than enough, I just got the card for my mp3's and it was only like $20 so who cares.

anybody know if it is absolute requirement to have signature for every logs records in our pda?? thanks guys.

Did they ever tell us how often we need to do logs or for how many pts per day. From what i heard it seems just once a week to upload, so does that mean one entry per week is minimum???

The yellow handbook estimated 2-3 pts per day and 1 deal per day. It mentions this around page 8-10 somewhere. Talk to the 4th years at your hospital since they can tell you the real deal. You know NYCOM...:rolleyes:

to me, the treo seems like the nicer looking phone. Do they both perform equally well?

Also...I have a post-2009 on my rotation who had to miss his rotation last year and is finishing it now.

He said 2 logs per day and 1 deal per day and he never did more than that and was fine. He also only sent his logs in at the end of the rotation, just once for each rotation. Personally, I think it's a good idea to just send them in once a week and try to do a log for up to 3 patients a day but I won't do more than that. It's not worth it. As he said, NYCOM doesn't really check the logs as much as they check to see you have them finished. You're not getting bonus points for excellent logs.

As far as signing, it's ok to sign them yourself if you don't feel like bothering an attending, it says so in the program.

Anyone else get a refund check that did not include grad plus? I did, and I'm not quite sure why, because I got my paperwork a while ago from NYCOM saying I was all set with grad plus. I'm a little worried because I have enough for another month or 2 of bills, but I'm not sure what the issue is or how long they'll take to straighten it out.

don't download the July 9th windows update if you are running Zone Alarm and windows XP. If you already did the update and are still shutdown then just rollback the KB951748 update. shut me down for 2 hours.

Every year I get closer to buying a mac!

Last edited:
Does anyone know the deadline for paying the fall 2008 tuition (3rd year 2010 class)?? I havent received any bill via mail and the nyitconnect site doesn't mention when the payment is due.

anybody know if it is absolute requirement to have signature for every logs records in our pda?? thanks guys.

One of the 3rd yr ladies came to our site and said don't even bother the doc's to sign your logs just do it urself.

I don't have any "forms" that show up under the forms 5.0 program... i think it might have to do with my datatel ID.... is that 2006 followed by our Super secret #, or just the 6 digit super secret #?

Any other ideas on what might be causing this? the password doesn't have to match our guru password, does it? i changed my guru password midway throughout the year.

i hate technology

I forget which password worked for me. One problem I had was with my login. I had to rename my palm to my NYIT email account name before it worked. Not sure if that was my actual solution or I was unware of something else I was doing. make sure everything from the tutorial matches in S-link

I don't have any "forms" that show up under the forms 5.0 program... i think it might have to do with my datatel ID.... is that 2006 followed by our Super secret #, or just the 6 digit super secret #?

Any other ideas on what might be causing this? the password doesn't have to match our guru password, does it? i changed my guru password midway throughout the year.

i hate technology

Use only 6 digits without 2006

I am a member of the class of 2011
Did you guys have enough freedom when scheduling your boards to allow for a week off before clerkships started? Just trying to figure out scheduling for an important family event. Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

I am a member of the class of 2011
Did you guys have enough freedom when scheduling your boards to allow for a week off before clerkships started? Just trying to figure out scheduling for an important family event. Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

I had 2 solid weeks. Other people had more. Not sure what's going to happen with you guys though, because you have to pass the boards before you start 3rd year, and we just had to sit for it. Could be why you are starting off the bat with cardio/resp instead of contemporary issues

Chair of Osteopathic EM... not too shabby.... what a pimp

3 cheers for Spevack!!:thumbup: