Official KCUMB-COM Class of 2009!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well,

We bought a house!!! WooHoo. New construction 20 mins from school. Heading out next week to pick out the counters/carpet/ appliances, etc.. We will most likely drop by the school and check things out again, visit the book store and prices some books, get ISBNs, and price the tools.

We might get a chance to meet some fellow students...

Keith/Mindy

Members don't see this ad.

last year they told us exactly what to buy for tools, and we have to give them a check for the tools, so id suggest not getting any until. i guess they hand that stuff out the first week...

Yeah, you pay them like $700 dollars for a bunch of tools that you never use except for your stethoscope. I have used my opthalmoscope once and that is it. Have fun with that.

cooldreams said:
last year they told us exactly what to buy for tools, and we have to give them a check for the tools, so id suggest not getting any until. i guess they hand that stuff out the first week...

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone received a loan packet yet or know when they might be sent out? Anyone know the deadline for returning the loan apps?

I graduate this year and we were told to buy a bunch of junk as well...the only thing I use are my steth and BP cuff at home. Opthal scope was the biggest waste of cash. It's really easy to share those things. If I had it to do over again, that's what I would do...find someone to borrow from. :mad:

Piers said:
Anyone received a loan packet yet or know when they might be sent out? Anyone know the deadline for returning the loan apps?

i jus got mine in the mail.

If I remember correctly the equipment fee was required for admissions. Or at least to keep your admissions.

Some more unsolicited advice:
Got to agree that notepool was a waste first year, but it would have been really helpful 2nd year. People get better at scribing and lectures are not as good, ergo attendance drops and profs drop subtle hints about emphases.

Besides the Wolf-man's list, I like the Physiology text, kind of long and wordy, but you will get a full explanation of things. Get the BRS also, though, for review. Overall, everyone seems to get the BRS Path and Phys, and most people get the Pharm. The others are hit and miss, embryo and Biochem are OK and OB/GYN was on the low end. Anatomy is silly (gotta look at pictures). My two highest-yield books were Lippincot Pharm (from KU) and Clinical Neuroanatomy from Lange. I got way more books than I needed, but you will figure out that it is better to get some cheap books from 3rd years and not need them than buy them from the bookstore for big cash. I do very well in Path and never look at Robbins, ERF's notes are without question the best Path text you could want, and his website has so many links you will get tons of photos.

Whatever people say about how silly things are, there are some great teachers here who will go out of their way to help you any way they can. There are some notable exceptions but appreciate the good ones, and don't stress too much about the minutia. It goes by very fast, just remember to keep the healthy hobbies that kept you sane this far. My personal belief is that you get more out of school the more you get out of school :cool: .

Dr. Ditka said:
What? there is a book they want us to study before class starts? What is this book they speak of, how do I get it and is it necessary? I always hear people saying don't study anything before med school because you will learn it all in the fall anyway. As for living, I want to live in the plaza. Does anyone know how practical that would be and how long it would take to get to school in the morning?

The book isn't necessary, but I think they recommended looking over it. It is "Medical Terminology A systems Approach" 4th edition by Barbara A. Gylys and Mary Ellen Wedding. ISBN 0-8036-0394-0. Comes with a CD-ROM.

How much does living in the plaza usually cost?

Oh, and thanks for the great advice! Unsolicited advice or not, it's still advice for someone who knows nothing of the area and other med school related issues.

Don't waste your time with the Medical Terminology book. You will be able to pick it up as you go or look in Stedman's. Save the money and put it to better use like buying some drinks to celebrate you acceptance to the hell we call medical school.

snowhite said:
The book isn't necessary, but I think they recommended looking over it. It is "Medical Terminology A systems Approach" 4th edition by Barbara A. Gylys and Mary Ellen Wedding. ISBN 0-8036-0394-0. Comes with a CD-ROM.

How much does living in the plaza usually cost?

I bought the med term book last year, and I'm currently using it as a fifty dollar beer coaster, I think ive cracked it maybe twice. But if any bright upstanding future med student would like a chapter faxed or emailed to you let me know. Actually just a page would be enough to dampen even the highest ambitions.

Thunderlips said:
I bought the med term book last year, and I'm currently using it as a fifty dollar beer coaster, I think ive cracked it maybe twice. But if any bright upstanding future med student would like a chapter faxed or emailed to you let me know. Actually just a page would be enough to dampen even the highest ambitions.
:laugh: :laugh:
Well, now I feel bad about jumping the gun and already buying it. Granted, I only paid $15. Maybe when I feel like a total slacker this summer I'll open it up to stare at it and feel a little better.

Anyway, anyone fill out the KCUMB Application for Financial Aid yet? I'm new at filing for financial aid, so what happens when you need more money than the allotted subsidized, unsubsidized and increased unsubsidized for medical students loans? By this I mean how do you apply for private medical loans? Does KCUMB look for us automatically or do you have to search for your own?

I thought I'd ask you guys before I bombard the financial aid department with my list of questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would bomb away at Fin Aid, and then sneak back here and tell us what they said... ask Sommerhauser she knows all things. :thumbup:

Definitely talk to Sommerhauser. She is the all knowing in the financial aid department. I was forced to get private loans to cover everything for my first year and she provided me with a list of trustworthy and reputable sources to attempt to allocate these funds (and those with the lowest variable rates). Like thunderlips said, call and bombard them. They are really very helpful. The money is out there, you just need to find it.

snowhite said:
:laugh: :laugh:
Well, now I feel bad about jumping the gun and already buying it. Granted, I only paid $15. Maybe when I feel like a total slacker this summer I'll open it up to stare at it and feel a little better.

Anyway, anyone fill out the KCUMB Application for Financial Aid yet? I'm new at filing for financial aid, so what happens when you need more money than the allotted subsidized, unsubsidized and increased unsubsidized for medical students loans? By this I mean how do you apply for private medical loans? Does KCUMB look for us automatically or do you have to search for your own?

I thought I'd ask you guys before I bombard the financial aid department with my list of questions.

I just got the list of "REQUIRED MEDICAL EQUIPMENT". Do we HAVE to get the package? I heard from other medical students at other schools that you'll barely ever use some of the tools. Just wondering b/c $669.00 is a lot of money right now.

If we do need those things, is there a cheaper place to buy them? The deadline to order from them is July 1st...so...meaning if you don't order by then you're outta luck?

Double edged sword right here. On one hand, they are very expensive and you hardly use them your first year. The only thing that I ever used consistently was my stethoscope and that was rare. The rest of it is still in the packaging. They will be used more during your second year but still not very much. On the other hand, you have to buy them or forfeit your seat in the class (at least that was the way it was for our class) and you have to buy them from the school because they "are offering you this great discout from Welch Allen". No way outta this one but I would buy the cheapest set that I could. Just make sure that your stethoscope has a bell on it for vascular auscultation. Third and fourth years that I have talked to have said that they don't use their equipment either unless they have kids at home or something of that nature. Welcome to medical school.

snowhite said:
I just got the list of "REQUIRED MEDICAL EQUIPMENT". Do we HAVE to get the package? I heard from other medical students at other schools that you'll barely ever use some of the tools. Just wondering b/c $669.00 is a lot of money right now.

If we do need those things, is there a cheaper place to buy them? The deadline to order from them is July 1st...so...meaning if you don't order by then you're outta luck?

Prisoner 37927 said:
Double edged sword right here. On one hand, they are very expensive and you hardly use them your first year...On the other hand, you have to buy them or forfeit your seat in the class (at least that was the way it was for our class) and you have to buy them from the school because they "are offering you this great discout from Welch Allen".
:eek: Whoa! I did not know this. Looks like I'm buying them. The cheapest IS $669, but I like how they give us the option of choosing color: black, navy blue, forest green and burgandy....decisions decisions :p .

I've basically decided on living in The Century Towers, but I'm going to head up to KCMO in June just to check out other places (just in case). Please Please...if anyone has ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS as to living places that you like or would highly recommend, please let me know. I'm not familiar with the area at all (only time I've been there has been for the interview) and I want to make the most of my search while I'm there.

Thanks, you guys!

snowhite said:
:eek: Whoa! I did not know this. Looks like I'm buying them. The cheapest IS $669, but I like how they give us the option of choosing color: black, navy blue, forest green and burgandy....decisions decisions :p .

I've basically decided on living in The Century Towers, but I'm going to head up to KCMO in June just to check out other places (just in case). Please Please...if anyone has ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS as to living places that you like or would highly recommend, please let me know. I'm not familiar with the area at all (only time I've been there has been for the interview) and I want to make the most of my search while I'm there.

Thanks, you guys!

i hear a lot of ppl like the plaza area. i think ill be staying at ct however. i hate driving ;)

The plaza is very nice...as is JoCo (but JoCo is quite a drive)...

Some friends of mine live in a "townhome" that they own on 10th street a block west of Tanner's Downtown...I would really suggest looking around in there for a place..It's called Quality Hill. Also, there is going to be a LOT of development in the downtown area in the next few years...around the new arena...This would also keep you from having to deal with the bridge being out and is only 5-10 minutes from the school...tops.

Plaza is nice, but can be expensive for what you get.

I'm jealous of all of you..I hope to be a first year at KCUMB when you all are 4th year!

A friend of mine runs a website that has LOTS of info on KC, so if you want some info, you might check it out...

www.kcskyscrapers.com

If you have other questions, please feel free to ask...lived in and around KC all my life.

I've missed some of the posts here, but is the school actually requiring you to buy your stuff from the school bookstore?? That is not right. Go on eBay and try to buy for a better price. Most people in my class have already sold their stuff, as it was gently used, at best. Buy a good stethoscope, but everything else, go for price. Once you're on the wards, you won't need it.

What you happen if you told the school that you had a set given to you as a gift?

Just 8 more days to D.O.! ;-)

Nice thoughts Electra, however, the school makes you purchase the set of instruments over the summer prior to orientation just so you can keep your seat. If you don't get them, then you forfeit your seat and don't matriculate. Buying them from somewhere else is not an option it seems. Don't ya just love change?

Congrats on the upcoming graduation by the way.

electra said:
I've missed some of the posts here, but is the school actually requiring you to buy your stuff from the school bookstore?? That is not right. Go on eBay and try to buy for a better price. Most people in my class have already sold their stuff, as it was gently used, at best. Buy a good stethoscope, but everything else, go for price. Once you're on the wards, you won't need it.

What you happen if you told the school that you had a set given to you as a gift?

Just 8 more days to D.O.! ;-)

Yeah they're sticking it to you guys now......."buy this steth/optho set (while they get a kickback), buy these books, up your tuition every year". Just remember all this after you graduate and they come peddling you for alumni money. You be sure to tell Wilsie/El Sawi/Pletz they can take they're begging elsewhere.

At one point in time, I would have placed my first two years at KCUMB against any med school in the country. But now I even question that,since all the faculty that were of any value to the student body are leaving in droves or should I say have been run out of town by the admin.

Clinical years??? what a joke!!!! you are basically left to fend on your own. The quality of education on the wards is substandard most of the time. Some preceptors are awesome but many could careless about you at all. All you are to them is CME credit. Good luck trying to get any help from the admin regarding the match and residency (once again you are on your own). All they care about at this point is whether or not your FAFSA is in on time so they can get that tuition money.

I have made it my personal mission to tell every prospective student to run from this instituion. To be fair, it is possible to come here, keep you nose to the grindstone, act like a good little drone and graduate onto bigger and better things. But don't dare speak your mind or think for yourself during the process.

My advice to all that choose to go here ; keep an eye on the big picture and get through this gestapo like experience. Once out, you can forget about this place and don't forget, you can then hit em where it hurts ............their pocketbook. DO NOT CONTRIBUTE when you are an alumni. I know I won't and every classmate that I know also feels the same. :thumbdown:

On my way out said:
Yeah they're sticking it to you guys now......."buy this steth/optho set (while they get a kickback), buy these books, up your tuition every year". Just remember that after you graduate and they come peddling you for alumni money. You be sure to tell Wilsie/El Sawi/Pletz they can take they're begging elsewhere.

At one point in time, I would have placed my first two years at KCUMB against any med school in the country. But now I even question that,since all the faculty that were of any value to the student body are leaving in droves or should I say have been run out of town by the admin.

Clinical years??? what a joke!!!! you are basically left to fend on your own. The quality of education on the wards is substandard. Some preceptors are awesome and some could careless about you at all. All you are to them is CME credit. Good luck trying to get any help from the admin regarding the match and residency. All they care about at this point is whether or not your FAFSA is in on time so they can get that tuition money.

I have made it my personal mission to tell every prospective student to run from this instituion. To be fair, it is possible to come here, keep you nose to the grindstone, act like a good little drone and graduate onto bigger and better things. But don't dare speak your mind or think for yourself during the process.

My advice to all that choose to go here ; keep an eye on the big picture and get through this gestapo like experience. Once out, you can forget about this place and don't forget, you can then hit em where it hurts ............their pocketbook. DO NOT CONTRIBUTE when you are an alumni. I know I won't and every classmate that I know also feels the same. :thumbdown:

sticking it to us for 600 bucks? man i dont know. most ppl i talk to are elated with the school. top reviews 90%+ of the time. and im not talking public reviews, im talking one on one stuff, ppl just say its a good school.

my personal experience thus far has been great. i have not graduated yet, though, so i guess i cant speak on the whole program yet.

Just buy your equipment wherever you want. Making you purchase it from the bookstore on campus is a blatant conflict of interest. They can't do that.

You mean to tell me they would trash your future medical career because you didn't buy some extraneous equipment from the store that operates out of the school? right. :rolleyes:

I have a set for sale. PM me if interested.

M.

"Haven't graduated yet..." Cooldreams aren't you a member of class of 2009? Shouldn't it be more like Haven't started yet? You have no idea what it is like right now. There is so much sketchy crap taking place right now. Exactly what personal experience do you have as of yet?

cooldreams said:
sticking it to us for 600 bucks? man i dont know. most ppl i talk to are elated with the school. top reviews 90%+ of the time. and im not talking public reviews, im talking one on one stuff, ppl just say its a good school.

my personal experience thus far has been great. i have not graduated yet, though, so i guess i cant speak on the whole program yet.

Prisoner 37927 said:
"Haven't graduated yet..." Cooldreams aren't you a member of class of 2009? Shouldn't it be more like Haven't started yet? You have no idea what it is like right now. There is so much sketchy crap taking place right now. Exactly what personal experience do you have as of yet?

oh i thought you had or were about to graduate.

anyways i was allowed to defer again a few weeks ago, so im looking at 2010 now.

im sorry that your experience has been so bad. i cannot comment on your views, but on my views, the school looks good. :confused:

The best analogy I have heard of compared the school to a fraternity. Early in your experiences during rush, you are shown all the "best" things about the school. Everyone is so cordial and it all appears to be incredible from the outside. You think that you have found the best and there is no other so you sign that "bid". Then you are introduced to the real deal. There is so much BS that goes on that it is hard to focus on school sometimes. The education IS one of the best in my opinion and the curriculum is awesome. I was just saying that there are some downsides to the school as I'm sure that there are with all and it appears to me (after talking with former students and third and fourth years) that the school is in a decline for some reason. We are losing faculty that are great and sincerely student oriented. Professionalism scorecards are a joke amongst the students and the almight Bible to the administration where they are using the term as an umbrella term in order to "cattle prod" the students into doing whatever they want them to. Being creative, original, or opinionated will paint a target on your back and you will be deemed unprofessional. It is a mess right now but the school does have it pros:

1. The students all help one another through everything. You will have one or two anal gunners that are out for themselves and want to make everyone else look bad but they are few and far between.

2. The curriculum as it is set up now by systems is still wonderful. You are able to learn the biochem, anatomy, pharm, phys and all the other junk simultaneously per system instead of learning by subject and then having to correlate it all on your own.

3. The faculty do an awesome job. We have lost a couple of teachers that were really student oriented and made sure that the classes concentrated on what they needed to (e.g. the "big picture") but there are still some that are left behind. They go above and beyond to make sure that you do well in school and want to see you graduate. KCUMB is truly geared towards generating top quality physicians.

4. The school also has a clinical skills program in which students are provided opportunities to interview and perform physical exams on standardized patients. This will give us the knowhow needed before our third and fourth years in the hospital. We will already have practice interviewing patients to obtain a history and chief complaint and we will already have practice performing physical exams.

cooldreams said:
oh i thought you had or were about to graduate.

anyways i was allowed to defer again a few weeks ago, so im looking at 2010 now.

im sorry that your experience has been so bad. i cannot comment on your views, but on my views, the school looks good. :confused:

Do they ever paddle your ass, im kinda into that.

Thunderlips said:
Do they ever paddle your ass, im kinda into that.

??

Anyways, glad to say hi to each of you. I will be starting in the fall and just found out about this site. Where you all staying?
:love:

Howdy all,
My wife and I will be moving up that way at the end of June and the relocation lady has sent us info. on two different homes for rent that are both located around the northwestern part of the city. Anyone know if this is a good place to live or is it like the south side here in San Antonio (i.e. one big drive by shooting). We are headed up to KC during the last week of May for some house hunting and for my wife to get in a few job interviews and any helpful tips about where to look for houses to rent would be much appreciated.

Generally, everything NW of Downtown is pretty decent....Parkville being among the nicest, imo.

I would recommend staying clear of the area South of I-70 and east of Downtown, and definitely anywhere near DT. KCK...wouldn't recommend that..

Any decent real estate people will be able to guide you pretty well.

Gladstone, Liberty, and many parts of N. KC are pretty good....(for north of the River)..

The Waldo area and the KS side around Shawnee/Prairie Village, Old OP are good as well (some kind of near the Plaza area...)

Really depends on exactly what you are looking for and how convenient you want it to be to get to school...

I'm not sure how good the rental market is in terms of actual houses...

seems like there was something i was going to ask.... hmm

oh yea, what is involved in the "DOlympics" ??

espbeliever said:
seems like there was something i was going to ask.... hmm

oh yea, what is involved in the "DOlympics" ??

DOlympics is basically a little 'game' they do during orientation week. We (class of '08) competed in teams, winners got a gift certificate (5 bucks) to the bookstore (you had to BUY something.. you couldn't just go get some candy and a pencil if I remember correctly). You'll be quizzed over respiratory, musculoskeletal and cardiovascular sections. Failure of your team to answer better than 85% means remediation later that week.

Of course I kid I kid. It's just questions about school policies, 'Person Y' to go to for 'problem X'... that sort of thing. Its just a way to do part of orientation week that beats the never-ending lectures you'll get.
Hope that helps.

MJB said:
No problem, what area are the houses you're looking at in?

The one that we really like is at NW 60th Terrace, but I'm not sure how good that address is since mapquest has a problem locating it. A couple of guys I've talked to down here have both said that the NW side is a good place. So long as my wife is happy with it I'll be happy with it.

Is it a KCMO address?

Just asking because I know there is a 1% earnings tax for living/working in KCMO...that you might want to avoid, but I don't know all the details of it...might be something to check into.

Could this be it? If so, pretty good location...

mapimage

Only problem will be the need to take the Broadway Bridge while the Paseo Bridge is out...

whats going on with the teacher situation? are they going to close the school?

Good teachers are moving on to better things and they are not closing the school.

espbeliever said:
whats going on with the teacher situation? are they going to close the school?

Prisoner 37927 said:
Good teachers are moving on to better things and they are not closing the school.

oh... well thas what that other dood said might happen, and no one spoke up after him to say anything so i was just wondering what the hell.. :confused:

I seriously hope you are a pre med because it is down right STUPID to think that just because some facilty are leaving that the school is going to just fold. This institution has been around sense 1918 IT'S NOT GOING ANYWHERE. Do your future classmates a favor and think before you post.

I hadn't heard of that 1% earnings tax yet, will have to look into it. The map you had seemed like the same place I managed to find from the address given to me. Glad to hear that it's a nice area.
The school had sent something awhile back about the Paseo bridge being out, guess I'll just have to see how bad it is.

bobg504 said:
I seriously hope you are a pre med because it is down right STUPID to think that just because some facilty are leaving that the school is going to just fold. This institution has been around sense 1918 IT'S NOT GOING ANYWHERE. Do your future classmates a favor and think before you post.

is it wrong to ask a question? if you would have read the other thread maybe you would have some insight into my question rather than attack the simple notion of the existance of my question. i would expect harsh words from my girlfriends for stupid things but not from boys.

espbeliever said:
is it wrong to ask a question? if you would have read the other thread maybe you would have some insight into my question rather than attack the simple notion of the existance of my question. i would expect harsh words from my girlfriends for stupid things but not from boys.

Funny, if you really want to fire back at Bob-O, remind him the school has been in KC since 1916--not 1918. You asked a question, he tried stating a fact. You got served Bob-O. Sounds like we have a gunner on our hands.

Friggin gunners ...

Dr. Ram-Rod said:
Funny, if you really want to fire back at Bob-O, remind him the school has been in KC since 1916--not 1918. You asked a question, he tried stating a fact. You got served Bob-O. Sounds like we have a gunner on our hands.

medic,

I will ask my co-worker that lives in KCMO about the earnings tax...

I'm not sure how nice that area is, but I do know it's a Safe place..if I drive by there soon, I can let you know more...as I can't picture it all that well right now (whether it's a newer area or older)...the biggest advantage to it is that it's RIGHT by the highway, so that will cut commute times...straight down 169 to the Broadway Bridge will be pretty easy, but congested with the Paseo Bridge out.

i heard they were going to close the bridge in a few days now actually...