Official KCUMB-COM Class of 2009!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cooldreams

American Mensa Member :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that I am at least among the first accepted into the class of 2009. Anyone else out there?? The stuff going on at the school is very exciting, and I think it will make it one of the more prominent schools around.

From this past year, I feel much more confident, and know what to do and expect. I have met some really great people along the way that have helped me immensely and would not change a thing.

Anyways, back to the grind...

:idea: :sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

cooldreams said:
I am pretty sure that I am at least among the first accepted into the class of 2009. Anyone else out there?? This is stuff going on at the school is very exciting, and such that I think will make it one of the more prominent schools around.

From this past year, I feel much more confident, and know what to do and expect. I think I am going about this a little slower than some, but I have met some really great people along the way and would not change a thing.

anyways, back to the grind...

Wow, accepted already when half the people probably haven't even turned in their applications yet! Congratulations! :clap:

oops...I accidentally started another thread before I realized this was in existence. Anyway, hi to all. I'll be starting in 2009 as well! WHOOOO HOOOO! :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
How could we pass up a sweet deal such as this. What is one more year? 60K is a hell of a lot better than 120K. What are you going to do in this next year? I will continue with research and probably take the national registry to become an EMT. Good luck with everything and I will speak with you later.

yea i know... and it means more to me than just that, i dont think ill have any loans now, plus im going to get a lot more experience in some of this stuff before i start than I would have had otherwise so maybe ill be ahead of the game... this is pretty cool...

How are you accepted now?

N.O. Shane said:
How could we pass up a sweet deal such as this. What is one more year? 60K is a hell of a lot better than 120K. What are you going to do in this next year? I will continue with research and probably take the national registry to become an EMT. Good luck with everything and I will speak with you later.

EMT? That is cool. Always thought that was cool... im actually right now hoping to do a little part time work in a pharmacy. What is something docs are notorious for?? Their prescriptions!! Maybe in doing this, I might gain some insight in allowing for better communication in this area. Patients actually die from being given misread meds. That is ridiculous, so preventable...

(nicedream) said:

By the gracious gifts afforded to us by the school and alumni... And through hard work and dedication. If you get the chance to come here, DO it!

(nicedream) said:

I'm not sure about this, but I hear that when someone interviews and they like you so much but there are no more seats in the class, they offer you a seat in the following class. I'm assuming they interviewed for the Class of 2008 and then they were offered a seat for the class of 2009 when the seats were full. I know that TUCOM and MSUCOM do this.

We were accepted into the class of 2008. We were offered a scholarship if we deferred. We took it. No brainer. Cooldreams, I like your thinking. That will be a great advantage for you going into school and an eventual practice. Good luck.

any tricks on getting accepted?? this is looking like a pretty cool school. why did they change the name??

dynamicrhythm17 said:
any tricks on getting accepted?? this is looking like a pretty cool school. why did they change the name??
I really don't believe there are any tricks. I believe KCUMB is a school that truly looks at the applicant as a whole. If you are a well rounded applicant they are interested. If you get an interview, then you definately have a great shot at being accepted. That goes for most schools. They want to see what type of person you are and if you fit their school. Just be yourself and answer their questions the best you can. Also be honest and sincere. That's all you can do. I believe they changed their name for two reasons. 1 Represent the city and area. 2 They added another program to the school and wanted to represent the whole school. Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences sounds much better than the University of Health Sciences.

Members don't see this ad :)
i hope i get in here, anyone care to share what the like most about the school??

how about the great staff inside, the architecture outside, the curriculum, hmm yea that about sums it up :laugh:

CharlesCarino said:
our school roughly accepts 90% of its applicants it interviews..... taking into account that some applicants will also be accepted to other schools and choose to go their. This year more students than in the past choose to come to UHS. The last number i heard was the class of 2008 had a class size of 280. The maximum number of students that the first year classroom can hold is 250 (really 248.. broken chairs in the back). My class size (2007)is 230ish. the only way to get students to willingly defer a year is to throw some money at them...

you guys that did defer......... congrats.... but in all honestly 60K.. or lets just say 200K (4 year tuition w/ interest) IMO is really nothing and theoretically should be easy for a phyisican to pay off once he/she is practicing!!

for this year off... my suggestion is DONT DO anything medicine related. this is basically going to be your LAST whole year off for EVER!!!! trust me, when you guys start youll be getting enough information. Take several vacations..... once you start... 4 years medical school + minimum of 3 years residency...... thatll be a minimum of 7 years before youll have a chance to take a nice long vacaction...

well... this is my 2 cents!!
-welcome to the family.. you guys will love it here

charles incognito carino
class of 2007

perhaps the 60k is not THAT much but in all honesty im doing like 4 things right now that i would not have done otherwise, and ill also probablly graduate with zero loans. to me, the extra year is worth it. but that is my 2 cents :p
:laugh:

CharlesCarino said:
our school roughly accepts 90% of its applicants it interviews..... taking into account that some applicants will also be accepted to other schools and choose to go their. This year more students than in the past choose to come to UHS. The last number i heard was the class of 2008 had a class size of 280. The maximum number of students that the first year classroom can hold is 250 (really 248.. broken chairs in the back). My class size (2007)is 230ish. the only way to get students to willingly defer a year is to throw some money at them...

you guys that did defer......... congrats.... but in all honestly 60K.. or lets just say 200K (4 year tuition w/ interest) IMO is really nothing and theoretically should be easy for a phyisican to pay off once he/she is practicing!!

for this year off... my suggestion is DONT DO anything medicine related. this is basically going to be your LAST whole year off for EVER!!!! trust me, when you guys start youll be getting enough information. Take several vacations..... once you start... 4 years medical school + minimum of 3 years residency...... thatll be a minimum of 7 years before youll have a chance to take a nice long vacaction...

well... this is my 2 cents!!
-welcome to the family.. you guys will love it here

charles incognito carino
class of 2007
Yes theoretically it will be relatively easy to pay off those enormous loans. But by taking the scholarship and saving over 64K I will be making my residency that much easier. After speaking with a number of residents at Tulane, they all conveyed that it would be much easier on them if they did not have such enormous debt. 95% of those I asked indicated they would have taken the scholarship. It will be nice looking at loan payments of around 200-300 per month instead of 400-600. These are just guestimates, so don't take them as scripture.

probablly be a little more like paying 400-600 instead of 800-1000

dude? dewd!! dooooood...... :cool:

Congrats on getting in so soon. I had not heard of this scholarship deal, but as long as you get in that's all that matters. I am a third-year here and am just peeking in on the different class threads. I wish you all the best. KCUMB is a great school and the curriculum really works. I don't know about you, but I don't think I could have taken having to deal with an entire structured class on biochem, path, phys, anatomy, etc. The way everything is woven together really makes the info flow well. Plus, you don't have time to forget the basic science before you get into the clinical info. Take care and good luck!

James
Class of 2006

Do you by chance know what the more KCUMB friendly hospitals or similar places are? I have also heard that there are plans to building a new hospital(s) and closing down one, do you know anything about that?? I heard that it was bought by some For Profit company so they are redoing things now. :confused:

It is true, the hospital that all of our residencies are technically based out of is closing down along with another hospital in Independence. The two are merging and a new, state-of-the-art facility is being built on the edge of town. What does this mean for the residencies? The verdict is still out. The word is that the faculty have to vote on keeping them and then they have to be re-accredited. What does this mean to you as a med student? Nothing. If you do stay in KC you rotate with many different docs in many hospitals in several surrounding areas as well as in KC. So don't let it worry you; it's just progress!

hey thanks for getting back so soon, its not that im worried i guess, maybe more like planning for the future... where were i go, where will i rotate at?? i guess im just always looking forward and trying to learn about the various situations all that i can so that i may be better prepared... i dont think im a gunner, i just want to do very well for my own and my (future) patients benefits. thanks again.

That's no problem. Feel free to email me with questions at any time. Take care, enjoy your year off, and good luck!

n e 1 else added to the team lately?? :D

I am really looking forward to the start of class!!! whooo hoo!!! :D IM IN!!!

dynamicrhythm17 said:
I am really looking forward to the start of class!!! whooo hoo!!! :D IM IN!!!
Let me be one of the first to congratulate you on your acceptance.

My interview is in two weeks!! Whoo hoo!

r u a military dood? just wondered because that is the military medical symbol.

dynamicrhythm17 said:
r u a military dood? just wondered because that is the military medical symbol.

Yes sir/maam, I am. Air Force HPSP recipient, go Air Force! :thumbup: How did your interview go? When was it?

n e news out there from anyone "in the know" ?? :laugh:

i jus drove by there to get gas at arnonies and looks like they are pouring concrete for that new parking area across from CT... i havent seen anything about the audiorium that someone said something about before though...

I just finished with my interview on thursday. It was awesome, I hope I get in. Dr. Peters (peds) was my interviewer and he was cool, very laid back guy. I loved KCUMB and hope to go there, I'll find out soon.

Oh, and it was funny seeing Mr. Dalzell slip up and say "UHS" in his presentation :laugh:

cool... i saw a billboard on i-70 that show a line through University of Health Sciences and under it written Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences. i also saw that the i-71 exit road sign for the university has also been updated to reflect the new name... that was what i thought would be about the last thing to change... kewl...

Just received word, I'm accepted into class of 2009! Hope to see you all there. :D

iatrosB said:
Just received word, I'm accepted into class of 2009! Hope to see you all there. :D
I glad to hear you were accepted. I will see you next August. That is a nice sigh of relief this early in the process. You can enjoy the next year.

Just want to tell you guys that you did the hardest part of you medical education....as far as they like to tell us...by getting accepted. Now enjoy the remaining of your college experience and if you have any question or need more details about the school feel free to contact me (pm or KCUMB (UHS) answers ).

KCUMB
class of 2008

dood... under 290 days until school starts up for 2009'ers yay!! :thumbup: :D

cooldreams said:
dood... under 290 days until school starts up for 2009'ers yay!! :thumbup: :D

Very exciting yet a little scary :eek:
Going to update your sig?

iatrosB said:
Very exciting yet a little scary :eek:
Going to update your sig?

lol.. oh yea... that was my original purpose, and i just posted somewhere else... lol :rolleyes:

is KCUMB-COM the same as the UHS-COM in KC?

Paul1441 said:

sure is... they just changed the name this year. if you go to their website, you will find out all about it.

Paul1441 said:

Yeah, and its just KCUMB now without the COM on the end (not KCUMB-COM)

nah thats not what i understood... all osteopathic medical schools use the "-com" at the end... uhs was typically used for uhs-com, just like kcumb is used for kcumb-com

cooldreams said:
nah thats not what i understood... all osteopathic medical schools use the "-com" at the end... uhs was typically used for uhs-com, just like kcumb is used for kcumb-com

Now its bugging me. Are you at the school yet? If so, look up some literature and find out, I really want to know. I looked on my acceptance letter and packet, and it does not say "COM" on any of it. Let me know if you find out for sure. ;)

Gotta represent like all the other 09er's out there. KCUMB class of 2009, yeah!

medic170 said:
Now its bugging me. Are you at the school yet? If so, look up some literature and find out, I really want to know. I looked on my acceptance letter and packet, and it does not say "COM" on any of it. Let me know if you find out for sure. ;)

The school as a whole is KCUMB, no "COM" attached. The DO degree program (which represents the brunt of the school) is subtitled "COM", but this does not apply to the MS or PhD programs.

BTW, I'm in the class of 2006...

T.A.M said:
The school as a whole is KCUMB, no "COM" attached. The DO degree program (which represents the brunt of the school) is subtitled "COM", but this does not apply to the MS or PhD programs.

BTW, I'm in the class of 2006...

sooooo, if you are in the DO program, then you goto kcumb-com right? :confused:

cooldreams said:
sooooo, if you are in the DO program, then you goto kcumb-com right? :confused:
If you want to look at it that way... but in the same light, I would never say I went to the "University of Notre Dame College of Sciences" for undergrad...and it's hard enough explaining to all my attendings and residents that I'm from "the-school-formerly-known-as-UHS-now-known-as-KCUMB" without throwing in a "COM" to complicate the matter further. Plus, my ID, my Clerkships manual, all my mail from the school , and the free hat and shirt they gave to us all say "KCUMB". So, in a nut shell, I go to plain-old "KCUMB".