Official KCUMB-COM Class of 2009!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
espbeliever said:
ok, seriously, not trying to be mister gunner, but like, how long do you ppl study to do decently well - i.e. passing ? ive heard anyhting from under 10 hrs a week to over 40 hrs a week. thats quite a difference. :confused:

hey i saw "west port" the other day. are there any good places to stay down there?? looked like some cool shops down there...

There's a lot of places down there to stay. Pick up an issue of The KC Star, The Pitch, or check out something like rent.com or roommates.com. Studying is all up to the person.

I don't see how anyone could study only an average of 10hrs a week outside of class and pass. If they someone is, they are lying or barely passing. Maybe on a very slow slow week in which they are very familiar with most all of the material being covered. It all depends. Over the course of 6weeks (the lenght of most every section your first year), you will have filled (stuffed) 3 one and half inch binders full of power point presentations. If you are super-strong in your basic sciences, Foundations of Medicine (your first section), you could probably breeze by with 2-3 hours/weekday and some time on the weekends. You'll definitely spend more time than that as the year goes on. Most people say it really just depends on the person. In my opinoin, this is true, it depends on HOW you study--not how smart you are.. you're all in the same place. Use your study time wisely, understand the big picture and scope of what you are learning first... then get bogged down in the details. Find your own little rhythm for study/play/rest as time goes on and you'll be just fine. I don't think I really found my groove until after Christmas break.

The quick answer to your question. I'd say any given student can spend 2-6 hours per weekday outside of the class room studying, and 5-15 on the weekend. There's days I came home and did nothing, and there are days were I would wake up at 6am, be focused on school all day and not get to bed until 11.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

espbeliever said:
ok, seriously, not trying to be mister gunner, but like, how long do you ppl study to do decently well - i.e. passing ? ive heard anyhting from under 10 hrs a week to over 40 hrs a week. thats quite a difference. :confused:

hey i saw "west port" the other day. are there any good places to stay down there?? looked like some cool shops down there...

If you are talking hotels...I think the Quarterage is down there...

As far as apartments go, I think they are plentiful, but I would probably stay away from it if you plan to get anything accomplished on weekends...can be pretty loud down there with concerts, etc....

Prisoner 37927 said:
You can get by without the OCS books and still do fine. As far as Harrison's, I would wait until rotations or residency.

I think Harrison's is also free via the library web page.

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like we are starting to have a baseball team again. Buddy Bell rocks, he's old school.

Hey guys I'm a fellow KCUMB student class of 2007. I just finished boards and am ready to sell some grreat books. They are all in really good condition and are very useful for your upcoming next two years. I have them for sale on half.com but if you are in KC I could arrange to meet you at school if you are interested in buying them. (Prices are negotiable)

Robbins Pathologic basis of disease
The Developing Human Clinically Oriented Embryology
Curran's Atlas of Histopathology (This book was awesome for pathology practicals because it has text that describes the pathology picture. I bought this my first year but didn't start using it until second year and my path pratical grades shot up.
Clinically Oriented Anatomy: Moore Dalley
Wheater's Functional Histology
Lange Board review of Medical Physiology
Hoppenfeld: Phsical Examination Of the Spine

I have to disagree with Dr. Ram Rod, only on the issue of study time. I only studied the weekend before quizzes and maybe 3 days before a final. I never studied during the week and that was to maintain my sanity. The weekends that I studied were only about 10 hour days. I am not lying, I have nothing to prove by telling you this. Out of the 2007 class I am top 15% so I am definitely "passing". I only state this so that people don't get freaked out by hearing what other people are doing. I ws totally worried that I wasn't studying enough when I would talk to everybody else and then I would get the test back and it would be a great score. I personally think that it is quality not quantity when it comes to what you study. Everybody has there own way to do things, and I know that by not being stressed all the time, that I was able to absorb everything much more easily than those "gunners" who were freaking out over every detail. My two cents :)
VJW class of 2007
comlex 1 down :D , usmle 6/14 :scared:

I just signed on a place in the plaza/westport area. You are right, it's a great place...the neighborhood around that area is great, no one complained of "sketchy" people, the plaza/westport area is the happening place in KC, and it's not too far from school. Also, the I-35 bridge is closed...so north of the river will take a while...a lot of people decided to move away from that area. My roommate and I drove around W45th street to 50thsomething (right off the Southwest Trafficway and Belleview) and we were looking at streets like: Terrace, Wyoming, Oak, Holly, Baltimore...to name a few. We got a house..but there are apts out there too that are nice. Good luck finding a place! The houses for rent there go FAST so you better start looking NOW!

espbeliever said:

Freshnstylin said:
I just signed on a place in the plaza/westport area. You are right, it's a great place...the neighborhood around that area is great, no one complained of "sketchy" people, the plaza/westport area is the happening place in KC, and it's not too far from school. Also, the I-35 bridge is closed...so north of the river will take a while...a lot of people decided to move away from that area. My roommate and I drove around W45th street to 50thsomething (right off the Southwest Trafficway and Belleview) and we were looking at streets like: Terrace, Wyoming, Oak, Holly, Baltimore...to name a few. We got a house..but there are apts out there too that are nice. Good luck finding a place! The houses for rent there go FAST so you better start looking NOW!

dood! can i room with you?? haha how did u find the house to rent?? dang that would be awesome. how much was it per month??

I am going to KCUMB this fall in the Master's of Biosciences new program. I just started looking for places (I know, I know super late) and was wondering if anyone was still looking for a roommate. I am 23/F, I have a cat named Mr. Big. Shoot me a 'private message' if you or someone you know might want/need a roommate. Thanks!
-Jayme

scoops911 said:
I am going to KCUMB this fall in the Master's of Biosciences new program. I just started looking for places (I know, I know super late) and was wondering if anyone was still looking for a roommate. I am 23/F, I have a cat named Mr. Big. Shoot me a 'private message' if you or someone you know might want/need a roommate. Thanks!
-Jayme

hey you dont live in the kcmo area do you?? i think it would be cool to get a house with someone down in the west port area but i just dont know much about it, so im probablly going to settle for CT which is nice, though just not as "exciting" hehe...

Masters program - cool! what do you think of the program?? i dont know much about it. why did you decide to go to it?? do you know what day you guys start?? do you have a specific area you want to specialize in?

espbeliever said:
dood! can i room with you?? haha how did u find the house to rent?? dang that would be awesome. how much was it per month??

What you need to do is drive around the area and just hunt for a place. They go really fast since the westport/plaza area is a great location and nice area. If you live really close to school you will pay around 600/mon for a house BUT you will be in an area that isn't so great...and trust me...we checked out a number of those houses and none were worth it. It took like 4-5 full days of looking and researching.

the place is 1000/mon...so it will be 500/person per month. Not too bad really for that area. If you live north of the river then you will spend around 800-900 for a house, but you will be like 20-30 mins away from campus. After the bridge is fixed...living out there may become an option again. But for now...we are in a great location, nice house and the rent isn't too bad.

With the bridge closed North, are there grocery and discount stored located out West on I70 in Liberty or Independence or to the South? Someone said that Central Bank of KC had ATM(s) on campus. That may be the same bank I saw with a branch West of the campus on Independence.

Hello,

I am visiting Kansas City for the first time since my interview and the second time ever. I originally thought Kansas City was average, but this trip has shown me how great KC can be. I just got a great place on the plaza set up for July. I am from Texas and I am excited about meeting a lot of new friends. I also heard that the week of orientation people go out almost every night. If this is true, then it would be a great time to get to know each other outside of school when we actually have time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Piers said:
With the bridge closed North, are there grocery and discount stored located out West on I70 in Liberty or Independence or to the South? Someone said that Central Bank of KC had ATM(s) on campus. That may be the same bank I saw with a branch West of the campus on Independence.

You could always just take the Broadway Bridge for the first few months of school...or the Heart of America Bridge...both are still very close to KCUMB.

Liberty is NE of Downtown and Independence is East...both are about 15 minutes away, and both have grocery stores, but so does North KC.

If you are looking in N. KC, I might suggest looking in the 169 Corridor if you are interested in convenience to both school and shopping centers/grocery stores.

Personally, I would be renting Downtown if I was a single student without pets...in all likelihood.

anyone else get the phone call last night? guess we are set to start! yay :sleep:

espbeliever said:
anyone else get the phone call last night? guess we are set to start! yay :sleep:

I did get a call, but was at the gym and missed it. What was it about? She did not leave a # or full name to reach her. I am going to try and contact her tomorrow.

They are just current students calling to answer any last minute questions that you may have.

busk0003 said:
I did get a call, but was at the gym and missed it. What was it about? She did not leave a # or full name to reach her. I am going to try and contact her tomorrow.

lol... yay we are now in the class threads section.. :p

Yeah, now that I look back over my post, I misoverestimated. I can remember many a time where I just didn't do squat but go to class for a few days in a row (and probably missed a couple), then did some catching up-- the procrastination was a real motivator to get quality work done. The bottom line is use your time wisely-- you'll see a lot of people cramming in the insignificant stuff and losing sight of the big picture. I would imagine those are usually the people that spend too long studying and don't get much out of it.

Congrats on the COMLEX.

VJWDO said:
I have to disagree with Dr. Ram Rod, only on the issue of study time. I only studied the weekend before quizzes and maybe 3 days before a final. I never studied during the week and that was to maintain my sanity. The weekends that I studied were only about 10 hour days. I am not lying, I have nothing to prove by telling you this. Out of the 2007 class I am top 15% so I am definitely "passing". I only state this so that people don't get freaked out by hearing what other people are doing. I ws totally worried that I wasn't studying enough when I would talk to everybody else and then I would get the test back and it would be a great score. I personally think that it is quality not quantity when it comes to what you study. Everybody has there own way to do things, and I know that by not being stressed all the time, that I was able to absorb everything much more easily than those "gunners" who were freaking out over every detail. My two cents :)
VJW class of 2007
comlex 1 down :D , usmle 6/14 :scared:

i thought med school was all about the minute details? how do u know what to study and what not to study?

do we need renters insurance for an apartment?? i want to goto CT. i just called them up and they told me how much and what room, and when my move in date is. guess im all set, but no insurance yet... should i get some? maybe i shoulda asked them that :p

YES!! you need renters insurance! it's only a about $10 a month but sooooo worth it!
Barclay Club (an apartment complex north of the river) just had a massive fire a month or so ago and about 30 apartments lost everything! most had no renters insurance so they were just up a creek. Think about it... it's way worth it

Todd's Wife

anyone anticipate working during school? is that even legal? :confused:

My advice as a new grad...unless you have a job skill where you can make GOOD money (nurse, pharmacist) I would stick to your studies. You can tutor after first semester if you feel strong enough academically to do so. Your education really needs to be your first priority. And it takes time, trust me.

electra

espbeliever said:
i thought med school was all about the minute details? how do u know what to study and what not to study?

I was going to try to explain it, but that would have taken way too much time. So I'll sum it up quick....

You'll figure it out.

well-i'm getting excited now! i recently moved and can't find one of my important forms. when were we supossed to send in the physical and immunization forms? i got a call saying they were missing, which i know but my physical isn't until next week.

i'm looking forward to meeting everyone too. it sounds like a lot of us aren't from the KC area so that makes it easy to meet people :) have a happy rest of the summer!

Dr. Ram-Rod said:
I was going to try to explain it, but that would have taken way too much time. So I'll sum it up quick....

You'll figure it out.

so there is some mathematical computation involved? :laugh: :sleep:

dulcinea said:
well-i'm getting excited now! i recently moved and can't find one of my important forms. when were we supossed to send in the physical and immunization forms? i got a call saying they were missing, which i know but my physical isn't until next week.

i'm looking forward to meeting everyone too. it sounds like a lot of us aren't from the KC area so that makes it easy to meet people :) have a happy rest of the summer!

you might be able to ask them for the form. i did. they are always very nice and helpful to me...

dulcinea said:

dont worry they are not due until the first day of class

Thunderlips said:
dont worry they are not due until the first day of class

which is fast approaching!!! yay!! :clap:

44 days til orientation

Great! I suppose that means that I only have 43 more free days then until my last free summer is over with and I am banging my head against the wall with neuroanatomy.

espbeliever said:
which is fast approaching!!! yay!! :clap:

44 days til orientation

Prisoner 37927 said:
Great! I suppose that means that I only have 43 more free days then until my last free summer is over with and I am banging my head against the wall with neuroanatomy.

mmm the joys of becoming a 2nd year :p

hey i got the guest letter for the white coating ceremony in the mail ysterday.

3 questions:

1) it says 6 ppl in a group, does that include you or just your guests?

2) is anyone NOT going to use all of their seats?? i was hoping to possiblly bring 8 total ppl including myself

3) what is the reception at the muehlebach like??

espbeliever said:
mmm the joys of becoming a 2nd year :p

hey i got the guest letter for the white coating ceremony in the mail ysterday.

3 questions:

1) it says 6 ppl in a group, does that include you or just your guests?

2) is anyone NOT going to use all of their seats?? i was hoping to possiblly bring 8 total ppl including myself

3) what is the reception at the muehlebach like??

The school goes all out on the reception - It is a great time. Yes free food and alcohol. I guess it isn't free since we all are paying a butt load to go to school here. So enjoy it!

found out the 6ppl do not include you.

38 days ppl!! yay!!!

I'm selling BRS Physiology for 20.00 (normally 38.00 in the bookstore with tax)? I used it for Cardiovascular section in year 1 and that's all I read to pass the section for the physiology since the professor's note weren't as clear cut as it should be. I also have the textbook basic histology, which I used in histo it is the required book and contains both pictures and the description of key points...Hey Medical Genetics textbook as well...but I don't know the BRS since its only for step I.

If you have questions about KC and stuff about class...feel free to PM me.

Good Luck...and relax the last month.

If you live in CT, you don't really need renter's insurance...I never bought it or used it.

The bridge on Route 9 N or 169 are still open so you can still go north to Barry road for groceries or to North Oak Trafficway price chopper...its still faster than going to other places...if you live at CT don't go to the grocery stores nearby on independence, its really really really not recommended...especially at night.

is anyone looking for a roomate in CT housing (or someone nearby)? It is my preference is to live at kcumb. Does anyone know of a ct housing roommate posting board? (i'm going to start @ kcumb and still havent figured out where I am going to live)

28 yr old guy here.

thanks

Would the grocery stores heading out West on I70 be as convenient as the ones North of the bridge? Do a lot of students use the bank that is close to the campus (Central Bank?) and do they have ATMs onsite? Are the loans disbursed on a monthly basis or in a lump sum for the year? Can the loans be automatically deposited to any bank?

nader23m said:
is anyone looking for a roomate in CT housing (or someone nearby)? It is my preference is to live at kcumb. Does anyone know of a ct housing roommate posting board? (i'm going to start @ kcumb and still havent figured out where I am going to live)

28 yr old guy here.

thanks

My hubby might be looking for a roommate. He was just accepted last week so we dont exactly have much time to get him all situated up there. I won't be joining him until Dec or Jan so he would only need a roomie for the first semester. Does anyone know if CT even does 6 month leases?

Also, does anyone know if there is a thread here, or a seperate message board somewhere for the KCUMB SAA? Thanks!

Courtney, wife to Jason- member of KCUMB Grad class of 2009

Hey everyone
I was just wondering whether anybody knows if 300 Gladstone Blvd, just across from Concourse park is a safe place to live. Any feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks
Meg

coureurdubois said:
Would the grocery stores heading out West on I70 be as convenient as the ones North of the bridge? Do a lot of students use the bank that is close to the campus (Central Bank?) and do they have ATMs onsite? Are the loans disbursed on a monthly basis or in a lump sum for the year? Can the loans be automatically deposited to any bank?

From what I understand, the loans are distributed once annually, at the beginning of the year-usually around early September. The school will take out what you owe them first, then write you a check for the remaining. At least, this is how some schools do it. We have to prove we can pay by August, so I imagine we will know how much the government is giving us by then. Hopefully people will post when they start getting their financial aid packets-I'm anxious to get mine!!

dulcinea said:
From what I understand, the loans are distributed once annually, at the beginning of the year-usually around early September. The school will take out what you owe them first, then write you a check for the remaining. At least, this is how some schools do it. We have to prove we can pay by August, so I imagine we will know how much the government is giving us by then. Hopefully people will post when they start getting their financial aid packets-I'm anxious to get mine!!

just once? i for some reason thought bi-yearly. but once would be better in my eyes!

anyone else getting anxious??

dulcinea said:

Just recieved award letter in the mail today, didn't say anything about when aid would be distributed. It only mentioned you have 21 days to respond, by either accepting or rejecting aid, and you had to notify them if there are any changes in your financial aid applications since you sent it in.

Hope this helps

Hi, I am a soon to be MSII at KCUMB and to answer your question, loan disbursments are made twice per academic year. Once in the fall and again in the spring. During the fall the government sends the school half of your total loan. The school takes half of your tution from that amount and writes you a check for the rest. That happens in the spring as well. Hope that helps.

I have been reading through the orientation packet and it says that we need "professional dress" on August 8th. Does that mean suit for guys? Also, what day is the Royals game and how do you let them know how many are going?

Gettin' excited

didnt it say something about the royals day on the tenative schedule thing?

anyways, all of my ms2/3 friends are saying the augus 8th thing is to get your pictures taken. so dress appropriately.

Hey 2009!! I am getting ready to move to Mobile, AL for rotations and have some books you might be interested in.
Big Robbins Pathology, Lange Color Atlas of Basic Histology, Netter Flash cards and some board review books. Let me know if you are interested!! PMme
VJWDO 2007

On another note, if any of you still haven't found housing may I suggest Kelly Crossing north of the river on I-29 and Barry road. I moved here last year and it is awesome. The people here are great and the pools are sweet!! Also there is a movie theater right behind the apartments and a brand new shopping center that is like the plaza called Zona Rosa, all practically within walking distance. If you do happen to lease here, Mention my name and I will split the finders fee with you. I think it is like $400, so $200 to each of us!! PM me if you want more info.
Vanessa Walker, MSIII

For those intending to live in century towers, is anyone looking for a roommate?