Official KCUMB-COM Class of 2009!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Its a pretty cool site, I just didn't know who was affilited with it you know (like the CMDA club on campus or something). Speaking of, what organizations do you plan on joining. I am guessing CMDA and the EM club.

Members don't see this ad.

iatrosB said:
Its a pretty cool site, I just didn't know who was affilited with it you know (like the CMDA club on campus or something). Speaking of, what organizations do you plan on joining. I am guessing CMDA and the EM club.

:p you got it!

i also want to get into soma, and possiblly a FP club and a surgery club. im still interested in those a lot. i would rather not be in too many so that i can actually have some time to do something in the clubs... but ive heard of ppl being in like 10 -20 or more...

cooldreams said:
:p you got it!

i also want to get into soma, and possiblly a FP club and a surgery club. im still interested in those a lot. i would rather not be in too many so that i can actually have some time to do something in the clubs... but ive heard of ppl being in like 10 -20 or more...

Man that seems like I ton!! I wouldn't imagine that someone would have time for 10-20! I am planning on three tops, CMDA, FP club, and peds club (maybe DOcare, depending on whether CMDA is going on a mission trip).

Members don't see this ad :)
YEA!! I guess I will be headed for KC soon!! Does anyone know about stuff to get before school... my family was asking me if I needed a new computer or a PDA or anything... I have know idea about this kinda stuff...

callie said:
YEA!! I guess I will be headed for KC soon!! Does anyone know about stuff to get before school... my family was asking me if I needed a new computer or a PDA or anything... I have know idea about this kinda stuff...

hey congrats! im sure you will really enjoy it here.

im not sure about the pda or computer, i think the pda is not really needed until 3rd and 4th yrs, so id hold off on getting that because the technology will seriously improve in 2 years. i think you are supposed to have a computer of some sort - at least they gave an allowance for one before. im going to try to have a laptop ready to go because i know they are pushing to go in the direction of wireless internet on campus so they may end up requiring them for some class or something... dunno ...

Hey everyone...congrats on acceptance...I'm actually in the class that's leaving when you guys get there, but thought I'd chime in on a couple of things. First, it's possible to be in 10-20 clubs...but a)you'll get fat and b) you won't have time to be REALLY involved in that many. I was in like 6 or 7 I can't remember, but was only "involved" in a couple. If you decided to be active in all of them...thats a lot. There were meetings every week in something and probably a couple a week.
Second, they're closing the Paseo bridge? That sucks. When are they doing that? I lived North of the river, so that would have sucked big time for me. If anyone has questions, go ahead and ask or send me a message. Good luck all. :thumbup:

yea i have a few questions if you have time. i know a lot about the school and first 2 yrs i think, but i am nearly clueless on 3rd and 4th yrs... what are they like, how do you get setup, can you goto any site you want to? was it hard finding a place to stay at?

also, since you are graduating, what does everything out there look like for graduating DO's? any tips on stuff to do in the first few yrs to prepare for the later years and getting into a residency of choice??

thanks! have a nice weekend...

Hello classmates! I was accepted back in September or early October sometime and made my decision shortly after cuz there really isn't any other choice than KCUMB! :) I just have not been very on task with saying hello. Sorry bout that! I look forward to meeting all of you! Woo hoo for members planning to be in CMDA!

hey great to hear, another prospective CMDA'er hehe... hey, about 199 more days to go....

cooldreams said:
hey great to hear, another prospective CMDA'er hehe... hey, about 199 more days to go....

Hey, the site is looking good cooldreams :thumbup:

LDRoss said:
Hello classmates! I was accepted back in September or early October sometime and made my decision shortly after cuz there really isn't any other choice than KCUMB! :) I just have not been very on task with saying hello. Sorry bout that! I look forward to meeting all of you! Woo hoo for members planning to be in CMDA!

Good to hear from you, welcome to the family :laugh: Our medical school journey is drawing closer and closer. Does anyone else feel like the time is flying?

iatrosB said:
Good to hear from you, welcome to the family :laugh: Our medical school journey is drawing closer and closer. Does anyone else feel like the time is flying?

man, no not at all... at first it didnt seem bad at all, but now it feels like the time is slowing down :p

i guess im just really looking forward to it, kcumb is a really awesome school. have you guys been there lately?

cooldreams said:
man, no not at all... at first it didnt seem bad at all, but now it feels like the time is slowing down :p

i guess im just really looking forward to it, kcumb is a really awesome school. have you guys been there lately?

I was there two weeks ago to talk with the admin, and I am going this week to buy a shirt or something.

You still work full time don't you. I bet that is why time is slow for you, it would be for me too.

Members don't see this ad :)
iatrosB said:
I was there two weeks ago to talk with the admin, and I am going this week to buy a shirt or something.

You still work full time don't you. I bet that is why time is slow for you, it would be for me too.

What are you doing now until school starts? The time for me is going exceptionally slow! I am still working on the good ol' undergrad.

LDRoss said:
What are you doing now until school starts? The time for me is going exceptionally slow! I am still working on the good ol' undergrad.

I am still in undergrad as well (last semester! :thumbup: ). That's weird, this year is flying for me.

iatrosB said:
I am still in undergrad as well (last semester! :thumbup: ). That's weird, this year is flying for me.

im working about 55-60 hrs a week and takin a few classes and playing around on that website... yay... :rolleyes:

iatrosB said:

After suffering through my first full day of labs, I must take back my previous comments. I fear I am in for a loooong semester. :thumbdown:

Cooldreams, I think it's great that you're already committed to your class and trying to keep everyone informed. I can tell you're very excited to start medical school at KCUMB....keep up that attitude!

I just thought I'd tell you of an opportunity for you and your webpage. Some classes use an internet website run by a student for Notepool. Students subscribing to notepool get a username and password so that they can access the notes online. This way you can print out only the ones you want and they stay in a perfectly chronological order. It really wouldn't be too hard for you to do that if you'd like for the next two years. The student who takes notes for notepool puts them on to a word document using a template. You would just organize the word documents onto your website...if that made any sense.

Anyway, I just thought that would be a good way for you to get involved and really continue your website for the future. Other than that just inform students of deadlines, events, etc. You're doing great!

LDRoss said:

I'm another one planning on joining CMDA. Good deal. Time is flying for me. I worked as a computer programmer for 6 years and then decided on my dream of medical school. I've deferred for 2 years now!! So I definately am getting anxious to go. The first year I deferred to have my baby boy (18 months) and second year to accept that scholarship. I've been a stay-at-home mom for the last year and a half, so this is going to be a huge change for me. Can't wait to meet you all! I haven't received anything from school yet either, but I think they usually start sending stuff in Feb or March. I live here in KC and I can't tell you how many great things I hear about KCUMB. If you mention it to anyone in healthcare, they always give it props for being a great program.

To answer the questions by cooldreams...
I am not doing the Osteopathic match. I'm doing family medicine and the COMLEX is just fine...If you want to something more competative and do allopathic match...then you may need the USMLE. That wasn't really one of the questions, but I chimed in. Now, as far as 3rd and 4th year goes, we had a "mini match" to figure out where we went for 3rd year. Because there are too many students per number of spots in KC, there are agreements with a bunch of hospitals all over...so you may end up close to "home" for 3rd year. 4th year you set up yourself...it sounds a lot harder than it really is. You can do whatever you want whereever you want (just about). The only requirements are Cardiology, ER, and rural/underserved medicine. Otherwise whatever you shedule should fill all the "requirements". Everyone is assigned someone at school in the clinical education department. They help you through all this so not a problem.
Second part...truely the most important part of getting into a residency (at least primary care...can't answer for Derm and such) is LOR's. If you get good letters, the directors can see that you aren't a *****. That's the most important...can they work with you for 3 or more years. Seconly I would add that a decent personal statement may help also. I was asked questions directly from my statement during interviews. The most important part about interviews? BE YOURSELF. As we all know it's not as easy as it sounds, but the only time I was nervous throughout the entire interview process was before my first interview. I interviewed with the program director and didn't know what to expect...would he grill me about my poor grade in this...or my crap board scores...NEGATIVE. He crossed his legs, clasped his hands together put them behind his head and leaned back in his chair...said "what do you want to know?". Then we just talked. They were all pretty much like that. Family med is a get to know ya kind of field. Like I said, I've heard stories about surgery interviews asking about glycolysis and garbage...but I'm not the one for asking that. Hope this helps you for future use. Let me know if there's anything else. :thumbup:

Wow, this thread has gotten long in my absence.

questions questions:

1) Has anyone received any corespondance from KCUMB lately?
2) OMM is a hands on body experience. What about chubby people like myself, am I going to be a freak in class? :rolleyes: I know, stupid question, but I just do not want people freaking out when they touch my fat-ness.
3) Does everyone know where they are staying?

Take care guys! :thumbup:

DOJDEE said:
Wow, this thread has gotten long in my absence.

questions questions:

1) Has anyone received any corespondance from KCUMB lately?
2) OMM is a hands on body experience. What about chubby people like myself, am I going to be a freak in class? :rolleyes: I know, stupid question, but I just do not want people freaking out when they touch my fat-ness.
3) Does everyone know where they are staying?

Take care guys! :thumbup:
(1)Haven't received much other than a reminder that I owe them ANOTHER $1K by March 15.
(2)As for your supposed "fat-ness," anyone with a professional attitude and demeanor shouldn't care. So don't stress!! None of us has a perfect body.
(3)Do you mean for the interview or long term attending the school? For interview, I would recommend the two hotels with the shuttle to the school. Long term, CT looks pretty good as far as apartments go, i.e., if class starts at 0800 you can wake up at 0730, shower, grab a bagel and coffee, and still arrive with time to spare.

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
(1)Haven't received much other than a reminder that I owe them ANOTHER $1K by March 15.
(2)As for your supposed "fat-ness," anyone with a professional attitude and demeanor shouldn't care. So don't stress!! None of us has a perfect body.
(3)Do you mean for the interview or long term attending the school? For interview, I would recommend the two hotels with the shuttle to the school. Long term, CT looks pretty good as far as apartments go, i.e., if class starts at 0800 you can wake up at 0730, shower, grab a bagel and coffee, and still arrive with time to spare.
Just recieved some financial aid info today.

ditto that.... the time is getting closer! yay :D

Finally,

After losing a LOR 3 times in the mail or in the Admin office and losing a faxed version a fourth time, I finally got the application completed. I had to call admissions tell them the fax was coming, have my boss fax the LOR--again-- and call admissions again to make sure they got it in my record and annotated it as complete.

After 3 months of waiting for 1 LOR to get there, I get an interview on Feb 15th.

I visited the school last year when my wife interviewed (and was accepted) so I know the school layout and such. Would be cool to hook up w/ cooldreams while we are there.

Will they have a problem with lugging a 9 week old baby on the tour?

K

i doubt they would mind, that is one of the great things about kcumb, they really try to encourage the family atmosphere. i remember them even saying how family should be number 1 in your life. what other schools would say that? how awesome... congrats on your 9 week old! hehe you should probablly call and ask though incase of some sort of special accomidations or something for being so young.

is your wife in classes now or defer or something?

I'm addicted to running. Anyone at KCUMB know if there are parks or trails nearby to the school that used by runners/joggers? Or indoor gyms with tracks and/or an array of treadmills?

Some people in my class would get together and run in the neighborhood/park that is near the school. Never go alone. I think it's the part of KC that inspired the t.v. show "Cops".

coureurdubois said:
I'm addicted to running. Anyone at KCUMB know if there are parks or trails nearby to the school that used by runners/joggers? Or indoor gyms with tracks and/or an array of treadmills?

The school has a gym in the SEP and if you live in CT there is a 24 hour gym.

It's great to see all the enthusiasm on this message board. I can remember the anticipation of waiting for school to start. Now I'm on the flipside and can't wait for school to be over and residency to begin. If you're willing to work, you will get an excellent education at KCUMB.

The reason I'm posting is because I'm planning to put my condo/townhouse on the market in the next month and many of you are probably beginning to look for housing.

It's a two story, 2 bedroom, 2 1/2 bathroom, 1258 sq ft, fireplace, single car garage, only 4 years old, asking 100K.

It's part of a home owners association so they do all of the lawn care and upkeep of the exterior of the building. (you don't have time for mowing the lawn during your first 2 years)

It's located in a new suburban community, a city park 1 block away, in a top school system, with a new elementary school 2 blocks away.

I'm not trying to turn this board into an advertising service, so I'll stop there. If you might be interested, give me a PM with an email address and I'll send you a longer description with pictures. Thanks and good luck in the future. I'll be glad to answer any other questions you may have as well.

cooldreams said:
i doubt they would mind, that is one of the great things about kcumb, they really try to encourage the family atmosphere. i remember them even saying how family should be number 1 in your life. what other schools would say that? how awesome... congrats on your 9 week old! hehe you should probablly call and ask though incase of some sort of special accomidations or something for being so young.

is your wife in classes now or defer or something?

My wife was accepted for 2004, but deferred a year so the baby would be a little older and we could possibly be in the same class. Unfortunately she requested and was granted a deferral before the scholarships were offered.

Aphelion said:
My wife was accepted for 2004, but deferred a year so the baby would be a little older and we could possibly be in the same class. Unfortunately she requested and was granted a deferral before the scholarships were offered.

that sucks. but it would seem she got something much nicer out of the deal. you two will be going to school together and you have new child. very cool.

:thumbup:

oh and today marks about 180 days left :clap: - about a half year

How is everybody? Had a quick question about scrubs. Is there a certain color we have to buy? Do we have to get them from KCUMB? Not sure and wanted to start buying some here. I have yet to get anything from KCUMB yet. I guess it will be coming shortly. Everyone enjoy the next few months.

It is good to see this site up and going. I am new to SDN and it seems great. I was accepted a few months ago to KCUMB and I was wondering if any of you are getting the "self evaluation CD for use/study over teh summer"? I don't know if this is to get 50 bucks or it is useful. I was just curious. Also, what organizations have you heard are good and what about sports there?

A guy from Dallas

N.O. Shane: The scrubs just have to be a solid color, any color. You do not have to get them from the school, so go ahead and start buying them if you can get a good deal. Most students wear scrubs 90% of the time so you'll need quite a few.

Congratulations again to all of you who have been accepted.

I think the next 6 months are going to CRAWL by for me. i absolutely am losing my mind working in a cube and cannot wait to get back in the classroom setting. i'm sure those that are coming straight from undergrad dont feel this way, but believe me- school is the BEST! i cant wait to study something i enjoy (versus being a corporate slave), meet awesome people, get re-addicted to caffeine, etc.

i type ALL day at my job. and my worst repeating nightmare is that when i finally get to medical school and start my first day of class, i don't remember how to hold a PEN. and therefore not only do i look like an idiot but i cant take notes.
i'm such a geek!

Later guys~

Aida
KCUMB, class of 2009

That is what I thought, but never got a definate answer.

May I reccommend not doing anything over the summer before you come!!!
Foundations of medicine is like all of your basic undergrad sciences torn down to the most important stuff and compressed into 6 weeks. If you come in fresh and ready to take it then the better. If you have spent the last few months trying to be a gunner, then you will regret it. Go on vacation, get married, have kids, raise kids whatever. Just don't waste your second to last carefree summer with anything but family and friends!!!! Same goes for 1st year summer, JUST HAVE FUN!!!

Vanessa
Class of 2007

Congratulations to everyone in the incoming class.

I am a current first year HPSP students (Navy). There are about 25-30 HPSP students in each class. We have 8 Navy, 10 Army, and 5-6 Airforce in the first year class. There is a lot of good information in the Military Medicine Section below, but I can answer your questions or anyone else's that are KCUMB HPSP specific. During the school year you cannot tell us from any
other student. Either before or after your first year you would do Officer Basic/Training/Candidacy for your 45 days. Every year after would be 45 days of paid clerkship rotations at a military hospital.
I can give more info to anyone, just PM me.

The gym you are talking about is North Kansas City Community Center. It's awesome. Check out the web site at www.nkccc.org.

Someone else can address the room mate match, I live in Kansas City (North).

To prepare for school, I would just enjoy your free time as much as possible. Again congratulations.

Thanks for the link on the gym. Great looking gym but it does not look from an Internet map that it is only blocks from the school. Looks like it is across the river/bridge. How many minutes auto commute is this from KCUMB? Is there a gym closer with a track?

Wow. You guys seem pretty excited about going to KCUMB. Does anyone know if they are still interviewing and handing out acceptances? I mailed in my secondary a few days ago and hope that I may have a chance.

of course we are excited, this is a really great school, and it was an honor to get accepted.

ive heard of people being accepted even up to a a few weeks before the start date. if you want to go there, make sure they know you want to go there.

Hello KCUMB classmates,

Name: Trent Stephenson
college: SMU (Southern Methodist University) in Dallas
Major: Marketing
Interesting fact: I was the kicker on the football team in college

Good call on the intros ams8855. I always see people posting and would love to know more about them. Here goes, although I've probably said these things somewhere before in this thread :)

Heather
29 yrs old
ex- computer programmer
mother of an 18 month old perfect baby boy ;)
intesting fact: I was supposed to be in the class of 2007 but deferred for 2 yrs., man I'm not gettin any younger here
Kansas City native, own a home here with my hubbie, go Chiefs!

but in the spirit of being like everyone else :D

Name: Jason
From: Kansas City ... spent a while down by jefferson city... i actually saw a cow... im so happy now... ;)
Major: double e
Interested In: emergency medicine
Random Factiod: i run my own computer service business

man all of this talk about football... i guess i should actually watch it and learn about it sometime... isnt there some super-bowl thing soon?? :D

ima lemming.

Who: Matthew Bradley Howard Aka mr. wonderful
Where: Kansas City
How: im not telling you that, i think we cover reproduction in the first couple of weeks
What: thats complicated, St Luke's Hospital EICU IA, painter, drinker, lover, ya right, streaker, professional jackass, photographer, mind reader (you are thinking of the number 2), soon to be med student.
Why: why not

enjoy the smell of sight.

you forgot "when"...

dah... stupid science and math majors.... hmmm wait a minute.... :D

i didnt forget i dont believe in time

Linsey Ray
From Nebraska...the U...go Huskers!...hopefully next year is a lil' better. :)
Major: Nutritional Science
Everyone should visit New Zealand. I got to spend most of last summer there doing mission work. It is incredible!

I have been accepted to KCUMB!! So the class of 2009 will have an old married couple with a baby...

Now the hard part begins... finding a house...

We can't wait to meet the rest of the class in a few months..

Keith/Mindy