NSU-COM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OK, I am using a computer on campus since I am without internet. The most important info I 've gotten so far from medstart is to #1 get a lock and put it on a locker on the third floor for the labs. So those of you who are around should make sure you get that done since they are not assigned and it is first come first serve. #2 make sure you get your ID card. #3 Good time to make sure fin aid is in order with the office in HPD mine needed a little paperwork adjustment. I wonder what afternoon activity will be rained out today? Oh, yeah, the pool party.

Members don't see this ad.

packerfan said:
OK, I am using a computer on campus since I am without internet. The most important info I 've gotten so far from medstart is to #1 get a lock and put it on a locker on the third floor for the labs. So those of you who are around should make sure you get that done since they are not assigned and it is first come first serve. #2 make sure you get your ID card. #3 Good time to make sure fin aid is in order with the office in HPD mine needed a little paperwork adjustment. I wonder what afternoon activity will be rained out today? Oh, yeah, the pool party.

Thx susan..im goin to claim a locker tomar with randy...already took care of the ID..looks like things are finally comin together :)

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMikeyLu said:
Thx susan..im goin to claim a locker tomar with randy...already took care of the ID..looks like things are finally comin together :)
mike~
By the lockers there is a sign that says to "have all lockers cleaned out by Aug 4th...". I think they are currently using them for the anatomy summer fellowship(?). So if you claim a locker now, it may be cut off Aug 4th.
also
KABOOMS TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!11!!!!!1!!

isotope1979 said:
mike~
By the lockers there is a sign that says to "have all lockers cleaned out by Aug 4th...". I think they are currently using them for the anatomy summer fellowship(?). So if you claim a locker now, it may be cut off Aug 4th.
also
KABOOMS TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!11!!!!!1!!

Just make sure to go into the anatomy lab and speak to Mr. Gaines, or Ron and theyll be able to help you out. Theyll probably ask you to leave a note or something on the locker so they know not to cut them off.

TRUE, DUMB CRIMINAL ACTS !!!!!!!!!!

A man from the town of Grand Forks, North Dakota, decided to travel to Fargo so that he could rob the First Community Bank. The criminal quickly scribbled a note demanding money and gave it to the teller. Frightened, she gave the man what he asked for and watched him run out of the door. Police were called and searches of the surrounding area turned up nothing. Upon reviewing the ransom note, it was noted that the message had been written on the perpetrator's bank deposit slip. Police traveled to the man's house and arrested him on his front porch.

Forget Something?-Kentucky

Two men tried to pull the front off an ATM by running a chain from the machine to the bumper of their pickup truck. Instead of pulling the panel off the machine, however, they pulled the bumper off the truck. Scared, they left the scene of the crime. Their bumper, along with their license plate was still attached to the ATM.

Wrong Tire

A man had a flat tire and pulled over on the highway to change it. A police officer pulled up behind him to give him cover. The man changed the tire and got in his car when the police turned on his sirens. The man was arrested for DUI. The police did not realize he was drunk until he changed the wrong tire.

A man went into a drug store and announced his intentions to commit robbery. He pulled a Hefty-bag over his face to conceal his identity. He did not, however, cut eyeholes in the mask and was tackled by a brave customer

Arizona
A company called "Guns For Hire" stages gunfights for Western movies and other events. One day, a middle-aged woman called to inquire if they could kill her husband. She was sentenced to four and a half years.

Left Behind-Virginia Beach, VA

Police in Virginia Beach, Virginia charged Charles Robertson, 19, with bank robbery after he made a series of dumb mistakes. After handing the teller a note of demands, Robertson retrieved the money and began to flee. Realizing he had forgotten the note, Robertson rushed back to the bank and grabbed the incriminating evidence. Racing back to his getaway car, he discovered that he had left the keys at the bank. Managing to elude police, Robertson made his way home and told his roommate, whose car he had borrowed, that it had been stolen. Very upset, his roommate called and reported his car stolen. Less than twenty minutes later, Officer Mike Koch spotted the car just a block from the bank. The officer retrieved the keys that had been left at the scene of the crime. When the keys fit the car, the officers went to the address the car's owner had given and arrested Robertson

A man was arrested and charged the robbery--of vending machines. The man posted bail, entirely in quarters

doc3341 said:
Just make sure to go into the anatomy lab and speak to Mr. Gaines, or Ron and theyll be able to help you out. Theyll probably ask you to leave a note or something on the locker so they know not to cut them off.
Last year we just taped notes to the front of the locker with our names and MI written on it...nobody's locks were cut off.

Did anyone go to society workshop and was it worth attending? Where is assem 2. ?

Me and Trent went today to try and claim a locker..when we forgot our IDs we saw some Anatomy fellowship ppl hoping they would help us out...And they said not to put it on until after aug. 4th.. when we said that we were going there to tape a sign on the lockers they said they were going to take off the signs and cut off the locks ...so ...i guess we are gonna have to wait

I don't know how they are going to do it this year...
If you really wanted to, you could get a cheap 1.00 lock (with a key) put it on there with a sign and see what happens...

...Or you could just wait and hope you get a locker on Aug 4th when everyone else is gunning for them.

Hey,
Is there anyone living in Cameron Cove this year that wouldn't mind picking up my key to my apt. I will be arriving in town late on the 28th and the office will be closed. If you wouldn't mind let me know. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

I just found out today that I got in, and I need some info about books. Where is the best place to get them - Internet or NSU Bookstore? How much should I expect to spend? Any other words of advice to expedite the paperwork madness?

Thanks! :)

NSU - COM Class of 2010!

do not get any books yet...you get all your notes first year...if you want to get a book..get first aid..and BRS physio..congrats on getting in...our class is huge

DrMikeyLu said:
do not get any books yet...you get all your notes first year...if you want to get a book..get first aid..and BRS physio..congrats on getting in...our class is huge
don't buy ANY books. you guys don't need first aid yet; it'll just set on your shelf and you don't know which books you'll need/use. you may be wasting your money. they pretty much give you everything you need.

:D :D CONGRATS :D :D

tearnmyhand said:
Hello all,

I just found out today that I got in, and I need some info about books. Where is the best place to get them - Internet or NSU Bookstore? How much should I expect to spend? Any other words of advice to expedite the paperwork madness?

NSU - COM Class of 2010!

tearnmyhand said:
Hello all,

NSU - COM Class of 2010!

Congrats!! Welcome to the party ;)

Hey wats up this is "Da Brown from Chi-town"...you're neighborhood brown M-4 from the windy city saying wats up...just wanted to say congrats to u all! Ya'll gonna luv it down here...and just to brighten your day and show you how us late M3s and new M4s have stupid fun....here's a little link with some of our classmates from NSUCOM:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2326129223414594782&q=ofc

click it or ticket! hahahaha :laugh:

I promise you'll luv the soundtrack if you watch it till the end...and dont forget the closing credits! :p

Puttin the "Mani" in Manipulation,

Ca$h Mani

Any questions, comments, or advice from a nova vet are welcome here...see ya at the beaches!!!

Doc 2b said:
don't buy ANY books. you guys don't need first aid yet; it'll just set on your shelf and you don't know which books you'll need/use. you may be wasting your money. they pretty much give you everything you need.

MikeyLu and Doc 2b,

Here's the low-down on books, per my best friend, an M4. He said that:

1. The Berne Physio book is way too lengthy, so buy a book called Medical Physio by Linda S. Costanzo. He said that cell physio will be first and then cardio, and the writers hit the cell pretty well, but really got the cardio physio that's taught in class. He raved about this book.

2. Buy the Histology ATLAS for Dribin's class (I love Dr. Dribin!)

3. For Anatomy, "The Bible" (also known as Netter's Atlas) and if you need a reference book, Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy, but he warned me not to buy too much. He also suggested the Rohen's Atlas (Pics of live cadavers) so you can study the true form, even if you're not in lab. If anyone has not taken Gross, there are also these Netter's cards that act as quizzes with Netter's pictures. I liked them alot.

4. Textbook for Physical Diagnosis by Shwartz for Clinical Practicum

5. If you love the DO philosophy, buy Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine, the OPP required book.

He told me that I should heavily weigh buying ANY other books, because, as you could see on any of the professor's syllabus, they recommend quite a few books beyond just the M1 Book list.

He also mentioned that if you're just thinking about buying books, then you may need to buy them at the NSU Bookstore because half.com does not expedite shipping.

Also, thanks for the congrats, all! I feel very welcome :p I hope that each of you will meet me in person when we start orientation next week. Look for the girl who keeps pinching herself for no obvious reason (j/k). Anyway....Yes, I am very excited about next week! NSU was my first choice and the wait list was brutal this year. Please feel free to contact me via email at [email protected]

NSU Class of 2010!

I also noticed a thread that talked about Dribin's Histology DVD for $40. Please forward information so that I can purchase it :)

Thanks!

they are gonna be selling it in orientation..

tearnmyhand said:
MikeyLu and Doc 2b,

Here's the low-down on books, per my best friend, an M4. He said that:

1. The Berne Physio book is way too lengthy, so buy a book called Medical Physio by Linda S. Costanzo. He said that cell physio will be first and then cardio, and the writers hit the cell pretty well, but really got the cardio physio that's taught in class. He raved about this book.

2. Buy the Histology ATLAS for Dribin's class (I love Dr. Dribin!)

3. For Anatomy, "The Bible" (also known as Netter's Atlas) and if you need a reference book, Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy, but he warned me not to buy too much. He also suggested the Rohen's Atlas (Pics of live cadavers) so you can study the true form, even if you're not in lab. If anyone has not taken Gross, there are also these Netter's cards that act as quizzes with Netter's pictures. I liked them alot.

4. Textbook for Physical Diagnosis by Shwartz for Clinical Practicum

5. If you love the DO philosophy, buy Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine, the OPP required book.

He told me that I should heavily weigh buying ANY other books, because, as you could see on any of the professor's syllabus, they recommend quite a few books beyond just the M1 Book list.

He also mentioned that if you're just thinking about buying books, then you may need to buy them at the NSU Bookstore because half.com does not expedite shipping.

Also, thanks for the congrats, all! I feel very welcome :p I hope that each of you will meet me in person when we start orientation next week. Look for the girl who keeps pinching herself for no obvious reason (j/k). Anyway....Yes, I am very excited about next week! NSU was my first choice and the wait list was brutal this year. Please feel free to contact me via email at [email protected]

NSU Class of 2010!

These are pretty good recommendations and I tend to agree with them. Some of the physio professors have terrible notes and I highly recommend the Constanzo Physiology book for a better understanding. Don't buy a histo atlas--all you will need is Dribin's DVD. The Physical Diagnosis book is great, and I still use it here in my 3rd year to look up how to describe certain things. The other book you MUST buy is Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple, but that can wait until next semester. :) Good luck!

Does anyone know when theyre gonna be selling the medical supplies...stethescopes, otoscopes etc...? Heres a good website that someone had posted a while back that I guess could be used for price comparison: http://www.steeles.com/index.html

For the OCD amongst us what are the titles/ed. of the books suggested? There are a few versions of Physiology on Barnes and Noble ( board review and ...) and Medical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple.

i would use pricegrabber.com to look up the books..they find the cheapest ones ..and have merchant reviews etc so its safe..and yes ive used them b4...supposedly a new edition of Costanzo physio book is going to come out very soon (august) so im going to wait for that... and MMRs can also wait as mentioned by pegasus

I am a 4th year med student at Nova and moving next month for my electives. I am selling a dresser, large desk and matress if anyone needs furniture let me know! If interested email me at [email protected] :)

DrMikeyLu,

I looked over pricegrabber.com and I saw an April 2006 edition already out. Are you saying that they're making another edition again in August 2006?

no i was referring to the BRS physio book by costanzo..not the physio 3rd edition...i plan on getting both books...as well as the BRS cases and problems book

doc3341 said:
Does anyone know when theyre gonna be selling the medical supplies...stethescopes, otoscopes etc...? Heres a good website that someone had posted a while back that I guess could be used for price comparison: http://www.steeles.com/index.html
It will probably be the first or second week of school. It will be announced during orientation week. I don't know how the prices compare, but it is worth the $$ to get a good stethoscope---I know several ppl who ended up getting a 2nd stethoscope before the end of their first year bc the first one they got was of poor quality.

Note: At the Welsh-Allen equipment fair, they will allow you to try out all the equipment to see the differences between the different options that they offer. If you don't know a lot about equipment, it is worth going to (even if you don't end up purchasing there).

isotope1979 said:
I want in! :)

Ok, so I'm not part of DOCARE (the club that sells the DVD's)...but I heard they are protecting them so they cannot be copied...

doc3341 said:
DO NOT BUY ANY BOOKS YET!!!

When you do find it a necessity to buy books, either get them online or get a Barnes and Nobles membership and order them there. (The bookstore is overpriced, and often doesn't have what you need). Netters is provided as a perk of your SOMA membership (club that also has the Test Packet).

I know everyone is obsessed with having everything before school starts, but it is entirely un-necessary. They are going to ease you into it (relatively), and you will have plenty of good resources (about 240 M2s) around to ask any questions that you have. Also, there will probably be plenty of M-2s who were anal last year buying every book (and never used any of them), who will sell them for cheap.

kaikai128 said:
DO NOT BUY ANY BOOKS YET!!!

When you do find it a necessity to buy books, either get them online or get a Barnes and Nobles membership and order them there. (The bookstore is overpriced, and often doesn't have what you need). Netters is provided as a perk of your SOMA membership (club that also has the Test Packet).

I know everyone is obsessed with having everything before school starts, but it is entirely un-necessary. They are going to ease you into it (relatively), and you will have plenty of good resources (about 240 M2s) around to ask any questions that you have. Also, there will probably be plenty of M-2s who were anal last year buying every book (and never used any of them), who will sell them for cheap.

Listen to her guy's, you'll be glad you did when you have a surplus of money in december.

Hey all,

So how do we know which academical societies we are in? Is there a link on the web? Also, does anyone know if NSU can also provide dental insurance?

NSU Class of 2010!

tearnmyhand said:
Hey all,

So how do we know which academical societies we are in? Is there a link on the web? Also, does anyone know if NSU can also provide dental insurance?

NSU Class of 2010!
We got an email tell us which society we are in. If anything, on orientation day there will be a list.

Where are people getting their health insurance? (other than NSU and SOMA..)

I didnt know SOMA had health insurance...how do you find info on that? Thanks

tearnmyhand said:
Hey all,

NSU Class of 2010!
If you really want to know what society you are in, send me a pm with your real name. I have a list of all of the societies, and who is assigned to each society.

anyone going to beachplace tomorrow night for the get together?

Does anyone have the schedule for orientation? I can't remember if we received one or not.

Also, where do I find out the information on the 2010 get together tonight? Looking forward to meeting you all soon!

God Bless!

our get together will be tomorrow at 8 pm. we will be meeting at "the
gallery" at beachplace in ft lauderdale.

HeY All:

The results are in! http://www.opinionpower.com/results.cgi?id=545038805

We will be having our get together July 29 (Saturday). We'll be going
to beachplace in ft lauderdale.
Time: 8 pm

Where: we will be meeting in the entrance steps of "the gallery at
beachplace"
website is http://www.galleryatbeachplace.com/

faith2DO said:
Does anyone have the schedule for orientation? I can't remember if we received one or not.

Also, where do I find out the information on the 2010 get together tonight? Looking forward to meeting you all soon!

God Bless!

We start Monday the 31st at 9am. I think their gonna be giving us an updated schedule once we get there. Theres also a link with the info but I cant find it. Maybe someone else has it.

there are now signs on the anatomy lockers that say to remove locks/contents by aug 7th...I just put a sign on the locker (boys and girls i checked hehe)...hopefully that'll be enough so my lock wont be cut..

DrMikeyLu said:
there are now signs on the anatomy lockers that say to remove locks/contents by aug 7th...I just put a sign on the locker (boys and girls i checked hehe)...hopefully that'll be enough so my lock wont be cut..

Michael, let us know if it gets cut... I may just get a lock and try this too. Have a lot of M1's tried claiming them yet?

Anyone that applied for GRAD PLUS loans still dont have their money?? And when do you think they will clear that up

humm...this is what happened to a bunch of ppl last year too. It sucks to have to go with sallie mae because of their problems...but at least they give out their $$. You will eventually get your money, it may just take awhile.

kylie...im with THE :( They claim that since Grad PLUS is so new it takes them awhile to process them all..