NSU-COM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i will be in town on July 17th...Palm Trace...but we should organize an SDN get together b4 the class of 2010 get together (weekend b4 school starts)..i was thinking Friday or Saturday the week before the get together..any suggestions/comments/thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm already in FL in Coral Springs (about 20 min N of the school), so I would love to meet people. We could meet at Sawgrass Mills- plenty of restaurants, so it could give some flexibilty. Any time is great for me.

I am getting the key to my apartment, Cameron Cove, on Monday, and will be in by the 17th. I would love to meet especially at Sawgrass (Lux Cafe best creme brulee ever.) Lovely Florida weather right now as I hear pounding rain on my skylights - just in time for the weekend.

Members don't see this ad :)
packerfan said:
I am getting the key to my apartment, Cameron Cove, on Monday, and will be in by the 17th. I would love to meet especially at Sawgrass (Lux Cafe best creme brulee ever.) Lovely Florida weather right now as I hear pounding rain on my skylights - just in time for the weekend.

How was Cameron Cove's leasing office to deal with?

i will also be in palmtrace (with mike) on 17th of july. cannot wait. i need to buy a bed though =(

I haven't had any problems with Cameron Cove leasing so far. I'll let you know after today when I start to move in. By the way there are two furniture outlets near Nova, Rooms To Go (Sample and 95) and City Furniture near the sawgrass for those who need beds,ect. There are directions on their websites.

yea we could all meet sometime.

is anyone here this weekend?

lunallena said:
is anyone here this weekend?
I'm there this Saturday afternoon. I'm staying in Tampa till then with friends. This weekend is all about buying furniture. Not really sure where to start, should be 'fun'. I'll be more than happy to take a break from that.

is anyone going to the medstart pool party on tuesday?

Can I choose to take only the Stafford loan and not the other?

Cameron Cove move in was easy. The apartment was immaculate and cold-got to love the air conditioning that is included in the rent. I am going to be there off and on this week and finally move big stuff on Friday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is medstart mandatory??? And which color is ciel blue?

Thanks

doc3341 said:
Is medstart mandatory??? And which color is ciel blue?

Thanks

Medstart isn't mandatory. It seems like a way to meet people before the rush of orientation with alot of social activities and some other activities.

The ciel blue looks like a powder blue/light blue. Its on the bottom shelf of the scrub rack in the NSU bookstore. They don't have the logo that the order form seems to mention on them though.

Weather in S.FL has been sunny with slight rain in the afternoon, for those not here yet :)

have any girls out here ordered scrubs thru allheart.com? i'm confused about the sizing

Do we have to have all 3 hepatitis shots before school?? They span over a 6 month period. I wasn't even given admission 6 months before the start of school...

Anyone here that can burn DVDs and want to share the price of the histo DVDs??? I know at least 4 ppl that would want to share ...which would make it less than 7 bux a person per set of DVDs...i dont want to spend 40 bux for dvds....i think thats a major rip off

is anyone going to the pool party on tuesday?????????????????????????i'm trying to see if anyone's going cause i wanna go too. i don't know where the pool is though hehe

Hey all: :) :smuggrin:

why don't we do something next week? we could go to the pool/grill area in Sundance apartments as Randy suggested(across the street from NSU)

or to the mall or a cafe like some other people suggested here.

Can anyone tell me how late is too late to apply? I'm applying to MD in Fl and not really sure about DO yet. At the same time, I do not want to take my chances and not get into med school this year.

DrMikeyLu said:
Anyone here that can burn DVDs and want to share the price of the histo DVDs??? I know at least 4 ppl that would want to share ...which would make it less than 7 bux a person per set of DVDs...i dont want to spend 40 bux for dvds....i think thats a major rip off

I am pretty sure my computer can burn DVDs as long as I can transfer the information to my computer. So I would be glad to help split the costs.

packerfan said:
Cameron Cove move in was easy. The apartment was immaculate and cold-got to love the air conditioning that is included in the rent. I am going to be there off and on this week and finally move big stuff on Friday.

Sweet, I just moved into Cameron Cove too, but a couple days ago and I'll be back next week. Wow, our landlady (not the people in the office) is a piece of work, though. My mom wanted to talk with her about switching to another apartment in CC because she imagines it'll be unsafe at night (she gets worried easily) and didn't know that would entail breaking the lease (though I told her it might). Anyway, so my mom talked with the landlady today and the landlady was so negative! Like, she felt a bit hurt and taken aback after talking with her! So my mom tells me the lady was all like, "my daughter goes to Harvard and wouldn't ever choose these things and do all that blah blah blah and she would have done all this research blah blah blah. and your daughter could've done this and this and this. and if you're breaking your lease you're never living here again." i mean, gosh, there's no need to put me down and try to make me feel bad or something. what a negative, spiteful person! no need to say rude, unneccessary things. i'm sad that my money is going to her, though i guess it's supporting a Harvard education. :)

potteaj said:
I am pretty sure my computer can burn DVDs as long as I can transfer the information to my computer. So I would be glad to help split the costs.

I want in! :)

superkiwi said:
Sweet, I just moved into Cameron Cove too, but a couple days ago and I'll be back next week. Wow, our landlady (not the people in the office) is a piece of work, though. My mom wanted to talk with her about switching to another apartment in CC because she imagines it'll be unsafe at night (she gets worried easily) and didn't know that would entail breaking the lease (though I told her it might). Anyway, so my mom talked with the landlady today and the landlady was so negative! Like, she felt a bit hurt and taken aback after talking with her! So my mom tells me the lady was all like, "my daughter goes to Harvard and wouldn't ever choose these things and do all that blah blah blah and she would have done all this research blah blah blah. and your daughter could've done this and this and this. and if you're breaking your lease you're never living here again." i mean, gosh, there's no need to put me down and try to make me feel bad or something. what a negative, spiteful person! no need to say rude, unneccessary things. i'm sad that my money is going to her, though i guess it's supporting a Harvard education. :)

Hey superkiwi, I move into CC on the 27th but I never had a chance to take a look at the place before I signed my lease. What is the inside of the apt. like and is it really right across from HPD building. I think I will be in apt building C if that sounds right :cool: r

isotope1979 said:
I want in! :)
Okay...I know I'm about become the least favorite person here, but I have consulted with a few other ppl (professors, other students, etc)--and we all seem to be at a concensus on this.

Before you guys all go and burn the Histology DVDs, please think of the moral ramifications. I know that you guys don't want to spend the money, but please realize a few things.

First, Dr. Dribin (great person, great professor) makes these videos as a courtesy for the club--a cause she supports as a coutesy to the students--she can withdraw their access at any time if thier use is abused. If you don't want to buy them, don't buy them.

Second, DO Care it is a club, a not-for-profit organization that uses the money raised to support medical mission trips to third world countries (not exactly a selfish use).

Third, if sales go down because everyone is illegally ripping them--you guys (your class) is going to be solely responsible for the abolishment of this amazing resource. Why mess things up for the ppl who follow you?

Nobody is forcing you to buy the DVDs, but if you think you need them...Please purchase them yourself, or if you REALLY cant afford them watch them with a friend/roomate. 8-10 ppl sharing one set of DVDS is a bit excessive. ....and btw, I have NO affilitation with this club, since everyone is rolling their eyes right now...

potteaj said:
Hey superkiwi, I move into CC on the 27th but I never had a chance to take a look at the place before I signed my lease. What is the inside of the apt. like and is it really right across from HPD building. I think I will be in apt building C if that sounds right :cool: r

My apt is one of the refurbished ones. It is clean and the carpet looks new. It has a livingroom like the one on the website but the kitchen is different slightly. The bedroom has room for a queen and nightstands and a walk-in small closet (see floorplan on website. My worry with the shared a/c is that it wouldn't be cold but it was great. I drove from my parking lot to the front of the health buildings and it was less than 4/10 mile.

I got this email this morning...I just thought I'd pass it along since this seems to be a hot topic. I did the MBS program here and I took histo and used the dvd's, and they really are a must have. They make studying for the practical much easier than have ur face stuck in a microscope or histo atlas. Im not sure what happends if you try and burn them because I bought mine new...hope this helps

"Hey everyone!

This is a reminder to send in your Histology DVD checks by July 17th to get the discounted price of $33! If purchased during medstart/orientation, they will cost $40.

These DVDs are truly a MUST HAVE!

Please keep in mind that these DVDs aren’t as “high quality” as those that you buy at the store. If copied…you may be in for a surprise. Furthermore, all proceeds go to our yearly mission trips AND these DVDs are copyrighted. Don’t miss out your opportunity to buy these…they will not be offered again and cannot be purchased elsewhere.

Please see below for ordering info.

Thanks so much and feel free to email with questions,

Paola Bordoni

DoCare treasurer and fundraising "

kaikai128 said:
Okay...I know I'm about become the least favorite person here, but I have consulted with a few other ppl (professors, other students, etc)--and we all seem to be at a concensus on this.

Before you guys all go and burn the Histology DVDs, please think of the moral ramifications. I know that you guys don't want to spend the money, but please realize a few things.

First, Dr. Dribin (great person, great professor) makes these videos as a courtesy for the club--a cause she supports as a coutesy to the students--she can withdraw their access at any time if thier use is abused. If you don't want to buy them, don't buy them.

Second, DO Care it is a club, a not-for-profit organization that uses the money raised to support medical mission trips to third world countries (not exactly a selfish use).

Third, if sales go down because everyone is illegally ripping them--you guys (your class) is going to be solely responsible for the abolishment of this amazing resource. Why mess things up for the ppl who follow you?

Nobody is forcing you to buy the DVDs, but if you think you need them...Please purchase them yourself, or if you REALLY cant afford them watch them with a friend/roomate. 8-10 ppl sharing one set of DVDS is a bit excessive. ....and btw, I have NO affilitation with this club, since everyone is rolling their eyes right now...

Hey Kaikai128, I apologize for my previous comment with regards to helping those "burn" the histology DVDs since I was completely unaware of where these DVDs came from and the cause they support until I received an email today explaining further the details of the DO care program. Thanks :D

Hello everyone, my name is Eric and I just saw that a lot of people are living in Cameron Cove. I am in building B room 202. Come by and say hi if you are in town next week.

potteaj said:

Hey! Yup it's exactly like packerfan said... the living room feels huge, but that might be because i have no real furniture in there yet... there is plenty of closet space, which is great for storing all the boxes i've been using to move... the bathroom floor area is on the smaller side, but with plenty of counter space. the kitchen floor area is also a bit small, but there is a lot of cupboard space. i think the place will definitely feel cozy soon!

i'm not exactly sure which one is building C, but the buildings on that corner are pretty darn close to the HPD. There's actually an auto shop right on the corner. CC is actually kind of behind a strip mall that is on University Dr. Also, the HPD is actually not on that corner of the campus, but a bit of a walk to the middle of the block on University Dr. my building's on the far end and i think it'd take me about 15 minutes to walk it - 10 minutes of a brisk walk. my guess is maybe 7 minutes from your area?

I'm so glad there are other students there!

Im leaving tomorrow..will be in town on Monday!!! ahhhasldfajsfk

It has been a while since I've been on here. Well I'm here getting settled in my apt in FL. Is anyone else here? I'm staying in Sundance. Is anyone else staying here? I'm so bored and don't know anyone here. I agree with the plan to do something---soon. I'm getting cabin fever! Is anyone doing anything this weekend? I will also be at medstart.

John

Hey everyone,
I totally forgot about this site for a while. Just wondering if anyone applied for private loans since we're all short about 20 grand for tuition after Federal aid was awarded. The max they'll give us is $40 some grand.
If you have which one did you go with, just curious because my heads been swimming with all thefacts and figures and rates haha.
thanks and see you all at orientation and medstart! :)
Nat

kaikai128 said:

She's right about this guys and didn't mention that you really don't want to piss Dr. Dribin off (she can make your life as easy or as hard as she likes), if you think it's a lot of money your in for a surprise when you start buying books. These are a deal for how helpful they are. Just sack up and buy them. Just thought I'd throw my $0.02 in. See you all in a couple weeks.

calm down guys..i just found out i dont even have a dvd player...let alone a burner in my computer...plus i was just throwing the idea out there :)

Doc 2b said:
She's right about this guys and didn't mention that you really don't want to piss Dr. Dribin off (she can make your life as easy or as hard as she likes), if you think it's a lot of money your in for a surprise when you start buying books. These are a deal for how helpful they are. Just sack up and buy them. Just thought I'd throw my $0.02 in. See you all in a couple weeks.
Thanks for backing me up...now I feel at least a little less like a bitch. I know how much DO Care relies on the DVD sales for their trips...

lunallena said:
is anyone going to the pool party on tuesday?????????????????????????i'm trying to see if anyone's going cause i wanna go too. i don't know where the pool is though hehe

I don't know where it is either but I want to go.

See some of you Mon. I am going to be without internet for a while till I decide what to do about a laptop. Cameron cove here I come.

Can someone tell me where and what time we meet for the medstart workshops or where I can find that information?

I would like to know who will be going to the Bally's on university north of NSU.

Just curious: Has the school finished the big gym they were working on??

I heard that they are finished...but ppl cant go in until beginning of august...if im wrong slap randy

DrMikeyLu said:
I heard that they are finished...but ppl cant go in until beginning of august...if im wrong slap randy

thanks man. Hey I think were in the same Academ Society (AT Still). See you soon

yea! join the facebook group...whats your name again?

mike V. I joined a few days ago, but im kinda new to it.

hey welcome to the group :)