NSU-COM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOchic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone commit to NSU-COM yet for next year?

Members don't see this ad.

DOchic said:
Anyone commit to NSU-COM yet for next year?
I have I think. I can't say for sure though until the mail is up and running again ( hurricane). I am still waiting for my letter so I can send in the money.

Where else did you apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
Western U

Touro-NV, CA

LECOM-Brad.

PCOM-PA, GA

and a few others.

yo darkwing..how bad is it down in florida due to the hurricane??? did houses get torn up? or was it mainly just rain...and power outages

Very little rain. 90% blackout in Broward County. ~25% still without power. It was kind of weird for the first 3 nights after the hurricane, before power started getting restored in my area, b/c you could see like 5X as many stars as usual. I guess that's how it is for a lot of the people out in the country.

We had the craziest wind I have experienced in 25 years in Broward. And I have just read in the Miami Herald that the winds never got higher than cat. 1(75-94 i think) in my area which is real hard for me to believe. I had 3 trees totally blow down and three that are so badly damaged they need to be cut down. All of which had been through other hurricanes without any serious damage. Tons of power poles that are snapped in half. Not much structural damage to houses.... just roofs that need to be replaced, but a lot of trailers in the trailer parks are totally ruined. Making it through the storm is only half the battle, because even before it is over the local news stations and their reporters (no cable) are assailing you with idiotic news coverage. I hate them all so much.

NSU is one of my top choices too ... but I'm not 100% sure yet. As for the recent hurricane, I'm currently living in Palm Beach County (for those of you not from Florida it's the county north of Broward/NSU) and the south end of the county got it pretty bad here too. 150 windows in my apartment complex got blown out with the storm and we lost electricity for 6 days. Last year I lost it for 11 days. There are still a lot of places in Palm Beach County (i.e. Lake Worth, Glades) that have no power and won't have it for some time now. I guess FPL is expecting nearly everyone will have power back by Nov 20th at the latest. Hurricanes suck ....

im quite a strong possibility... definitely liked the school... from jersey myself. im interested in the dual MPH program.. anyone else?

Hey guy's, just wanted to give you all a shout out and tell you congrats from an M1. I tell you it is true what they say, the hardest part is getting in, I haven't envied any of you walking through on your tours. Although don't think it's easy, right now we are about to pull our hair out. Anyway, please let me know if there is anything you all need and I'll be happy to field any questions you may have. If your not familiar with the area please ask because you can really get screwed on a 30 min drive if your not careful.

PS - may want to PM me I don't check this on regular basis. :)

Anyone else been waiting for a while to hear from them??? I sent in all my stuff a month ago.

You have to find your own place. First you are going to want to decide what is most important to you. The biggest factors are probably going to be rent/own, price, and drive. If you want to be really near school--you are going to pay more for less (and not in quite as nice of a part of town). If you go away from school, you will get a bigger place, but the 5 mile drive at rush hour can take 25-30 minutes (only about 10 outside of rush hour).

One thing to note, if you DO choose that you want to be near campus--get your name on the list for whatever (apt) complex you choose ASAP. There are only about three complexes within walking distance and the one closest to school is converting to condos for fall.

Apartments.com and other various sites are pretty good resources. And as Doc2b said, he and I are both willing to answer any specific questions. (And asking multiple ppl for multiple opinions is probably a good thing).

Good luck class of 2010. Any questions, feel free to pm me. :)

I have a question..do students usually stay in the general area for all 4 years of med school..or do you move away during rotations 3rd and 4th year? ...i was thinkin of buying a condo with my parents money of course...hehe..but if im going to live there for only two years..and move away..i dont think its worth it...what do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
mikeypo0 said:
I have a question..do students usually stay in the general area for all 4 years of med school..or do you move away during rotations 3rd and 4th year? ...i was thinkin of buying a condo with my parents money of course...hehe..but if im going to live there for only two years..and move away..i dont think its worth it...what do you think?

If you have the capitol I would say buy but it is PRICY!, Cedar Keys is going Condo one bedroom for like 170k, it's right across from campus so you can always rent out your place. The way that rotations are set up now, you go to one of about six (i think) sites during your 3rd year, these are your core rotations (Atlanta/Georgia, Tampa, Orlando, Miami, and Ft. Lauderdale). Then 4th year you can stay here and do all of your rotations, you can set up your own, etc. Currently you have 5-6 electives your fourth year, and from what I understand the rest are set for you, ie you have to do peds, surg, so on, but it really can be any where they approve. Also from what I hear they are easing up on some of the fourth year rotations. I plan on just being hear for two years, I'm planning on doing Orlando, or Georgia 3rd and I'm going to bounce for 4th year, we'll see how that goes.

There are plenty of places to buy, and rent, you just have to look. Utilize the campus housing office, they can hook you up. BTW, before you move get a lease signed!

To the poster before about not hearing anything yet, be patient, things are still a little f'd up down here, I'm sure the hurricane has got things behind. ;)

so in the acceptance packet, it says i need to send them my AP scores. I assume this is from Collegeboard. I took them OVER 4 years ago, any idea how to send them or if this is indeed necessary? Im getting kinda confused by this =(

rack said:
so in the acceptance packet, it says i need to send them my AP scores. I assume this is from Collegeboard. I took them OVER 4 years ago, any idea how to send them or if this is indeed necessary? Im getting kinda confused by this =(
I am assuming that these are the AP tests that you took in high school. I would start by contacting your high school. If they do not have them on record, they would knowwhere to find them at.

Good luck.

any other doods make it into NSU and are going to commit (pay deposit)???
I interviewed on 11/18..and will hear back on Dec 2nd...getting really nervous..because i was only offered one other interview..and i found out i got waitlisted for that school (AZCOM) just wondering if any other of yall received waitlist from NSU..or if they are lenient this time of year when it comes to interviews

I am sending in my deposit next week! So, I am officially going to NSU-COM! Rack, I too am interested in the dual MPH program. To current students, when do you recommend starting to look for an apt? :)

I was accepted today and I am not sure where I am going to go yet. I also have an acceptance to KCUMB which I owe a deposit to by December 15th. I guess I need to decide by then. I really want to hear from PCOM also to help make my decision. But I havent even been offered an interview yet.

For all those who live in Ft lauderdale, what apartments are closest to campus??

Also, for those who have been recently accepted: I was accepted in early October and am still without an official acceptance packet...I was told that it is on its way but I still don't have it!! Anyone else waiting for their packet to arrive?!? :(

Ive just been accepted!!! hope to see you guyes there!!! nova is totally awesome..and i cant wait :)

I'm definitely committed!! I'll see you all there! :)

For those of yall that got accepted on 12/2 lemme know when you receive the acceptance package.. thx :)

You guy's should re-think your career choice. Medschool sucks! Maybe I'll have a different outlook after finals. Congrats to you guys again, and hope all of you are out having a life, it ends in august.

hehe..your just feeling down because of finals...once you get off for xmas break..you'll look back in retrospect and see it is well worth it...ROCK those finals so you can party w/ your family in xmas break...good luck

mikeypo0, congrats on getting in! where ya from? when ya gonna start looking for an apartment? drop me a line sometime....future classmate!

hey DOchic:

i grew up in houston, TX..went to undergrad at UT-austin...im thinking of looking at apts during my spring break (2nd week of march i think)!! if not then ..probably after my finals which is early may...

once again..let me know if any of you out-of-staters receive your acceptance package for those that got the phone call on 12/2..thx

my deposit is in.. from jersey! any other northeast heads gimme a holler

PA here, rack...where'd you go to undergrad?

rutgers university nb.. what about yourself... im def gonna do do/mph methinks!

Any of you guys interested in doing that anatomy fellowship at the end of MS1? I know i am!!

oh..and im also very interested in DO/MPH as well.. :)

Hey boys! I think I am interested in the DO/MPH program as well, but I don't know enough about it...how many extra credits would you need to take per semester/summer? Why are you interested in the MPH program (what do you hope to do with it)? Also, what is the anatomy fellowship?

By the way, I went to Lafayette College in PA, graduated last year, and I'm currently volunteering for AmeriCorps.

Did anyone get a call recently from NSU? I got a call yesterday from a doctor there who just wanted to congratulate me and see if I had any q's....how nice!!! Talk to you guys soon... :)

No i didnt get that call!! The anatomy fellowship is where you and another student dissect a human body during the summer following MS1..You later (i think) are obligated to teach the dent/pharm,etc students anatomy the following year for a limited set of hours and you get paid for teaching...(or maybe its a teaching assistant job)..but in my opinion it would be very interesting..and it would look good on the resume for all you future surgeons..;)

As for the DO/MPH program..the only time commitment..is where you go to class 2 times a week at night for a couple of hours (maybe 7-9?)..and from what i heard from the student that was talkin to us..is that all the classes are a blow off..and he usually just studies while he's in class..he said something to the effect that he never got anything lower then a 90+ in any of his MPH classes..They said its good to have the MPH degree if your interested in the administrative type jobs..like working at the CDC, NIH, etc...but yes..the extra degree is FREE if you decide to pursue it. Im not sure if you get paid during the anatomy fellowship..but i do know you get paid to teach or tutor the other health professional students (be a teaching assistant?)

MikeypDO~
You ARE ambitious. I'll have to keep in touch with you and see what you are thinking in about a year.

Also, DO NOT WAIT til May to look for an apartment if you can help it at all. Especially if you want to live near campus. You are probably going to want to have your name down with an apartment waiting for you at least 60 days before you want to move in. Some complexes have waiting lists much longer than that. (I am moving over break and most comlexes in the middle of the semester have 2 month waiting lists). Also, my advice would be to have the lease signed via mail before you get to FL. There were several classmates who thought they had places and then got here to find out that they had lost their apt for whatever reason.

good luck.

hmm... so can i get a nearby condo later if i am BUYING? i dont have time to go house searching yet (and not sure if i wanna purchase or rent)... so i may not be able to do anyhting til march or april... whats the price range on condos in the area anyhoo

kaikai128 said:
MikeypDO~
You ARE ambitious. I'll have to keep in touch with you and see what you are thinking in about a year.

Also, DO NOT WAIT til May to look for an apartment if you can help it at all. Especially if you want to live near campus. You are probably going to want to have your name down with an apartment waiting for you at least 60 days before you want to move in. Some complexes have waiting lists much longer than that. (I am moving over break and most comlexes in the middle of the semester have 2 month waiting lists). Also, my advice would be to have the lease signed via mail before you get to FL. There were several classmates who thought they had places and then got here to find out that they had lost their apt for whatever reason.

good luck.

Yeah I was one of those, it sucked. I still wound up "ok" but not Ideal. If I were you guy's I would look for someone renting a condo. Check with the school housing office. Prices are steep down here and the apartments around here will absolutely **** you if they get the chance. Keep the post going guys I'm enjoying how excited you all and remembering the days. Ahhh.

lets say i go down there near xmas time..what happens if i find i place..that i want for the following fall..put my name on a waitlist?? dont know how that works..reserving a room until the fall..

I am not an expert, but my guess is that spring would be the best time (March-April). It is standard down here to give 60 days notice before moving out. So if you are looking to move in July, the apt would be vacated by June. You are going to have the best chance of finding a place during this time period.

If you KNOW you want to live right next to campus, I would start calling the complexes to find out what their policies are on reserving places (as everyone is a bit different).

thanks kai..btw..is there some kind of roomate finding service...i think because of the high a$$ for the housing..im going to have to find a roomate ...

yea i was browsing through that earlier...some dont even tell you the price..which means its proly gonna be a crap load!!..and a lot of the ppl loooking for roomates dont even put pics of their place..hehe..i think i'll head down to FLL during my spring break..

Just letting you guys that got accepted on 12/2..i received my acceptance package today..so be checking your mail...:)

hmm.. anyone know of a good website for BUYING condos WALKING distance... thats prolly gonna be what i do =(

rack said:
hmm.. anyone know of a good website for BUYING condos WALKING distance... thats prolly gonna be what i do =(
Well, Cedar Key is a complex accross the street from school and they're going condo... I don't know of any others
Congrats on the acceptance!

And yeah, not to sound mean or anything..I started out wanting to do the MPH program and then all of the sudden, I realized I had missed the deadline! :( Med school's hectic...I just took it as a sign that I was not ready for that....

Good luck!
Karina

mikeypo0 said:
thanks kai..btw..is there some kind of roomate finding service...i think because of the high a$$ for the housing..im going to have to find a roomate ...
As long as you are okay with having a roomate, yes--it does save money. This is just a very stressful time for most, and if roomate pairs don't work out well (as many do not)--it can just add to it. My caution was to just do what is best for your education first, and then figure out the money second.

There are a lot of people who manage a 1br apt on the budget that they give us--it is actually do-able (even for those non-military types) for those out there who are wanting that.

Thx kai...I think it would be best to live 1 br for the first year..get to make new friends..and decide on the roomate situation the following year (m2)..which places do you think have affordable 1 br apts that isnt more than 15 min away driving..I know you guys have finals and all so i wish yall luck!!

I would start at Cameron cove (downside: no washer in unit, no dishwasher). They are about the cheapest, and right across from the school. If you do a search on apartmentguide, you should be able to get an idea. Ppl say that Los Padros, The Laurels, Plantation Colony, and Lakes of Pembrock (I don't know how to spell that one) are probably some of the cheapest (which is still the mortgage of a house in most parts of the country). I would stay in the Davie, Plantation, Pembrock Pines area. Anything outside of that will for sure be more than a 15min drive (and even some of the Pembrock Pines and some of the Plantation places will).

If you find a complex, Mapquest it with its address and the school's addres. You can figure it is going to during rush hour in the am take a bit longer than whatever that says to get an idea on drive time.

If you find a specific place and want to know about it, I can ask around and see what ppl have to say about the management, the drive, etc. I know a bit about the area--but I'm not a native. I will defer to the experts for my consultation.

thx kai.your awesome..i'll be doin some research once finals are over for me.

Anyone know how the traffic is on S. Pine Island Rd. Its the street exit after University.... off of 595 coming from the airport