NHSC Scholarship 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just out of curiosity how long were your resumes? It said 5 page max but every business class I ever took told me resumes are supposed to be 1 page

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just out of curiosity how long were your resumes? It said 5 page max but every business class I ever took told me resumes are supposed to be 1 page

Mine was 2 pages

Members don't see this ad :)

Length does not equate to quality. In fact, one would be more likely to question the veracity of a five-page resume as opposed to a standard one.

Reactions: 1 user
Resume should be as short as possible, the best is 1, no longer than 2 pages. A CV on the other hand should be more detailed and could be significantly longer (could possibly reach 5 pages if you have been involved in a lot of things, perhaps for a non-traditional applicant who had a previous career in science or health). You can submit either for the scholarship.

When was the first round of emails approximately and when did you receive it (the second round)?

First round = July 27th
Mine= August 8th

I believe there was someone who received it after me as well so potentially 3 rounds. It's different every year depending on how many first round finalist decline award or don't go through with the process in time.

False, there are people who have received the scholarship without a credit check.
I highly doubt it. Everyone I know who has gotten the scholarship has had their credit checked. They are not going to give you $200K+ without checking your credit history. The people you are talking about probably didn't check their credit through Equifax.

That's true but I think NHSC does a bad job at specifying that they are looking for a CV rather than a resume in which case you should have a lot more details, making it longer than a resume.

@FlossBoss19 what were your stats? Trying to get a general sense of average accepted GPA etc. for the scholarship. Thanks!

@FlossBoss19 what were your stats? Trying to get a general sense of average accepted GPA etc. for the scholarship. Thanks!

Undergrad GPA: 4.0
Dental school GPA: 3.95
5+ years of work experience in underserved communities
2 international trips for volunteer work
Your work experience with underserved population is way more important than GPA.

Undergrad GPA: 4.0
Dental school GPA: 3.95
5+ years of work experience in underserved communities
2 international trips for volunteer work
Your work experience with underserved population is way more important than GPA.

Well time to throw in the towel

Reactions: 3 users
According to creditkarma my credit has not been checked as of today. When is the next time credits are checked?
Losing hope here.

According to creditkarma my credit has not been checked as of today. When is the next time credits are checked?
Losing hope here.

I find your lack of faith disturbing. Regardless we need a New Hope.

But for real mine hasn't been checked either :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Countdown till the 27th

16 more days, guys. Time to stay positive. Positive thoughts, guys.

Just a reminder that you never know what the future holds so winning or losing this scholarship may or may not be good or bad. What if you win, but then you end up getting killed in a car accident at your site. What if you lose, but then your alternative backup plan allows you to meet the love of your life. Point is--you never know....

Reactions: 5 users
Just a reminder that you never know what the future holds so winning or losing this scholarship may or may not be good or bad. What if you win, but then you end up getting killed in a car accident at your site. What if you lose, but then your alternative backup plan allows you to meet the love of your life. Point is--you never know....

I second this. Whatever is supposed to happen will and it will be the best for all of us whether we realize that at the moment or not! Still good luck to everyone!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

14 more days.

Special shoutout to those that were in this thread from the very beginning. And special shoutout to the NHSC Scholars that are nice enough to help us along this amazing journey.

"Greatness is a mentality. It is an attitude. It is the way in which one approaches things, remaining vigilant and gathered in the face of anything."

-Craig_sherwood234

14 more days.

Special shoutout to those that were in this thread from the very beginning. And special shoutout to the NHSC Scholars that are nice enough to help us along this amazing journey.

"Greatness is a mentality. It is an attitude. It is the way in which one approaches things, remaining vigilant and gathered in the face of anything."

-Craig_sherwood234
Did you just quote yourself?

My roles tab changed from applicant to participant and its prompting me to activate my account (also says portal is down tomorrow). Is this change just a random glitch? Has it happened to anyone? Thanks!

Edit- I read back and saw it did happen to someone. And of course it doesnt let me activate it. *wishful thinking* lol

Last edited:
My roles tab changed from applicant to participant and its prompting me to activate my account (also says portal is down tomorrow). Is this change just a random glitch? Has it happened to anyone? Thanks!

Edit- I read back and saw it did happen to someone. And of course it doesnt let me activate it. *wishful thinking* lol
Did you log in to the portal that you submitted you application? Mine does not show any tabs.

13 more days.

If there's something that can be done about something, then don't worry about it.

If there's nothing that can be done about something, then don't worry about it.

Did you log in to the portal that you submitted you application? Mine does not show any tabs.
Yeah I did, but after I logged out and logged back in it now has a dot next to applicant. So probably has no significance

13 more days.

"If there's something that can be done about something, then don't worry about it.

If there's nothing that can be done about something, then don't worry about it."

-Craig_Sherwood234

Added this for ya!

13 more days.

If there's something that can be done about something, then don't worry about it.

If there's nothing that can be done about something, then don't worry about it.
Im hoping for less than 13 days!

12 more days.

Stay positive, guys. We are at the homestretch! One's mentality, or attitude as it is put, is pivotal at times like these. Press on!

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

-Coolidge

If I get anymore emails from HRSA in general I might have a small anxiety attack. We are only a week out possibly now! Good luck everyone and for all of those who may have already started class, I hope it is going well!

If I get anymore emails from HRSA in general I might have a small anxiety attack. We are only a week out possibly now! Good luck everyone and for all of those who may have already started class, I hope it is going well!

The one week is until they potentially do their second round of credit checks?

The one week is until they potentially do their second round of credit checks?
The first round of finalist emails went out on the 27th last year. So, the one week out is probably referring to that. Hopefully, they will start notifying finalists within the next week!

A few more days. This is what champions are all about. Keep your nose to the grindstone and don't let anyone or anything negatively affect you. Easier said than done.

Press on!

Edit: Special shoutout to master yoda, shifff based, teetharemything, and to the NHSC scholars that have generously helped us along this amazing journey

Last edited:
A few more days. This is what champions are all about. Keep your nose to the grindstone and don't let anyone or anything negatively affect you. Easier said than done.

Press on!

Edit: Special shoutout to master yoda, shifff based, teetharemything, and to the NHSC scholars that have generously helped us along this amazing journey

Especially when you just realized interest rates on student loans went up almost 1% in the last year

What did I just say? Pay attention. Positive thoughts. Breathe with me, whooo-sahhhhh
Thanks for the words of encouragement the last few days! It's nice to see some positivity around here. Especially while we wait for these finalist emails...

Press on!

Thanks for the shout out! I can't wait to hear who got the scholarship. Some quick math says that this thing is pretty life changing!

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

While I wish I had gotten the credit check too, I'm really excited to see some of you get this thing! Good luck!!

Does anyone know if they use Credco to run the credit checks for them? Just saw an inquiry on my Mint app that I can't justify

Does anyone know if they use Credco to run the credit checks for them? Just saw an inquiry on my Mint app that I can't justify

An inquiry from Credco is NHSC. When did they run your credit?

An inquiry from Credco is NHSC. When did they run your credit?

Back on June 8th. I moved in May so I was afraid it might have been that credit check but it would have been done 2 weeks before that.

EquiFax Credit report shows that I got a credit check by CREDCO on 06/08/2017.

Did everyone who got a credit check have/had student loans from undergrad?