2022 NHSC Scholarship Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, I currently applied to the NHSC Scholarship program with one school but received admission to another school and might want to switch. On the 2023 NHSC Scholarship program guide it mentions that if you have been awarded the scholarship, it mentions to immediately contact the NHSC if you are attending a different school program than the one you applied with. I am wondering if anyone has been awarded the NHSC scholarship and changed school programs after being awarded. What was your experience with that? Were you able to change programs and still keep your NHSC award? If the school that you switch to was more expensive than the one you applied with, did the NHSC still cover all the tuition or did you take out additional loans to cover the difference?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I currently applied to the NHSC Scholarship program with one school but received admission to another school and might want to switch. On the 2023 NHSC Scholarship program guide it mentions that if you have been awarded the scholarship, it mentions to immediately contact the NHSC if you are attending a different school program than the one you applied with. I am wondering if anyone has been awarded the NHSC scholarship and changed school programs after being awarded. What was your experience with that? Were you able to change programs and still keep your NHSC award? If the school that you switch to was more expensive than the one you applied with, did the NHSC still cover all the tuition or did you take out additional loans to cover the difference?

Thank you!
I would like to know this too, when I called the application service they told me that if I change the school it disqualifies me but I would like to get a second opinion from someone that has went through it or is going through it.

Thank you!
The year I applied, I had a classmate disqualified for this. However, since then, I have talked to numerous people who have successfully changed schools after the application deadline, but before the award was given. From what I have heard from those who switched successfully, as long as you inform the NHSC beforehand, it would not disqualify you. I also don’t believe the difference in tuition makes any difference in their decision. They would pay the full tuition/fees no matter what— there is no partial payments based on something like this.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The year I applied, I had a classmate disqualified for this. However, since then, I have talked to numerous people who have successfully changed schools after the application deadline, but before the award was given. From what I have heard from those who switched successfully, as long as you inform the NHSC beforehand, it would not disqualify you. I also don’t believe the difference in tuition makes any difference in their decision. They would pay the full tuition/fees no matter what— there is no partial payments based on something like this.
I am wondering if you know how they happened to change the schools. I just called the NHSC again and they assured me that I would not be able to make any edits to my schools or program.

I am wondering if you know how they happened to change the schools. I just called the NHSC again and they assured me that I would not be able to make any edits to my schools or program.
I was told that they just called and were given instructions on how to do it. It’s been an inconsistent part of the process. Like I said, I’ve talked directly to people at both ends— a few who successfully changed schools and one who was disqualified for even trying. You might be able to scroll back through previous years and find people who did it and reach out to them.

I’m in my second year of dental school so I had my dental school admin office sign it. I’m not sure who you would need. I guess whatever school you’re at for the fall term needs to complete it. That might be a question for NHSC. I hope they don’t disqualify you over the school change. Fingers crossed for you
I currently have switched schools too. I am wondering what the process was for you and if you were able to successfully switch your scholarship award to your new school. I hope everything went well and you are currently loan free!

I'm a little stressed out about this and low-income student here hoping for scholarships to come thru. Thank you for taking the time to answer, i appreciate it!

@PatDatDentist @cooliyak and everyone else worried about being disqualified, that is no longer true, well not in my case. You guys are correct about one rep/agent saying one thing and another saying something else.

You will receive a confirmation of interest (COI) and and Enrollment Verification Letter (EVF) after you are selected as a finalist where you will have the opportunity to put down your new school info and explain in the space provided that your school has changed from what you previously entered in the application.

See attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1835.jpeg
    IMG_1835.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: 1 users
Everything you need to know is in the program guide:

But to answer your question, here is what the guide says:

Essays. Applicants are required to respond to the following three essay questions. Responses to essays must be uploaded as three separate documents, one document per essay. Each response should be limited to a 500-word count or less (about a half of an 8.5 x 11 page with spacing).

• Essay Question 1: The mission of the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) is to build healthy communities by supporting qualified health care providers dedicated to working in areas of the United States with limited access to care. With this mission, we know that patients often need health care providers to better understand them as a whole. This is particularly important among underserved populations receiving care. Please tell us what patient-centered care means to you and provide an example.

• Essay Question 2: NHSC clinicians provide care to underserved communities inurban and rural areas with limited resources. Please provide an example of when you have proposed an innovative solution to a challenging problem where you had limited
resources.

• Essay Question 3: Describe an experience in which you have contributed to thewell-
being of an underserved community and the impact/result of your contribution.
are these questions relatively the same each year? if im prepping for next year early can I answer these questions u think?

are these questions relatively the same each year? if im prepping for next year early can I answer these questions u think?
That used to be the case, but in the last 5ish years, they have changed up the questions at least twice if not 3 times. You can use them for practice and hope that they don’t change, but I don’t know if you can count on that anymore.

That used to be the case, but in the last 5ish years, they have changed up the questions at least twice if not 3 times. You can use them for practice and hope that they don’t change, but I don’t know if you can count on that anymore.
oof that rlly sucks. thats seriously such a busy time for ppl too, i will be finishing undergrad/graduating around that time so i was hoping to get it done early. thank u for letting me know! they release the questions in march when the application opens?

oof that rlly sucks. thats seriously such a busy time for ppl too, i will be finishing undergrad/graduating around that time so i was hoping to get it done early. thank u for letting me know! they release the questions in march when the application opens?

They changed the requirements for this current cycle, which can be found by searching up the NHSC requirements. It’s just one essay (previously three) and now they don’t require CV/resume. But yes, in March you’ll know what the updated requirements are for 2024 cycle, but they probably won’t change from this year since there was already such a big change from 2022 to 2023

They changed the requirements for this current cycle, which can be found by searching up the NHSC requirements. It’s just one essay (previously three) and now they don’t require CV/resume. But yes, in March you’ll know what the updated requirements are for 2024 cycle, but they probably won’t change from this year since there was already such a big change from 2022 to 2023
thank you! <3

Has anyone received any updates on their application status for 2023 cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
do we know when we get our ORC for existing scholars? is it november again or july?

How's everyone doing with their NHSC? I wish I hadn't done it, I hate it. They don't pay me on time, sometimes I don't know if I'll get my stipend (used to come at the 15th-17th every month), now it's the 24th and I still don't have it for this month. They don't pay my tuition, they finally paid my spring 23 tuition at the end of April, and haven't paid summer of Fall yet. Because of this I haven't been able to take out loans (loans always go toward balance first) so I'm not self sustainable. If I didn't have my husband's income as a backup, I'd be so screwed right now and unable to make my away rotations.

How's everyone doing with their NHSC? I wish I hadn't done it, I hate it. They don't pay me on time, sometimes I don't know if I'll get my stipend (used to come at the 15th-17th every month), now it's the 24th and I still don't have it for this month. They don't pay my tuition, they finally paid my spring 23 tuition at the end of April, and haven't paid summer of Fall yet. Because of this I haven't been able to take out loans (loans always go toward balance first) so I'm not self sustainable. If I didn't have my husband's income as a backup, I'd be so screwed right now and unable to make my away rotations.
Hello, I just received a notification about being a finalist. I have not received my countersignature yet. But I had a question about them paying your tuition. Does the school wait for the payment or do they charge you late fees?

Hello, I just received a notification about being a finalist. I have not received my countersignature yet. But I had a question about them paying your tuition. Does the school wait for the payment or do they charge you late fees?
My school has not charged any late fees, but if you're already living off of student loans monthly, know 1400/month is about half of what you get now, and you will not get any more money, nor could you even do private loans as it all goes toward COA. The NHSC took into Mid july to get the COA for that summer COA information to my school. It's been a **** show. Also, still no money today. Not sure if I'll get August's payment at this point.

My school has not charged any late fees, but if you're already living off of student loans monthly, know 1400/month is about half of what you get now, and you will not get any more money, nor could you even do private loans as it all goes toward COA. The NHSC took into Mid july to get the COA for that summer COA information to my school. It's been a **** show. Also, still no money today. Not sure if I'll get August's payment at this point.
Thank you for your reply. I wonder if other people are also experiencing similar issues.

The delay could be caused by how long it takes your bank to process the check. My friend and I both have the scholarship, I used to get the check 3ish days before she did until she switched banks. But also woudn't be surprised if NHSC was just slow

I just got my ORC, but it's really low this year. It's under $2K. I got close to 6K for the first year. My school said they didn't know why it was that low and told me to contact the NHSC. I've been trying to reach them all morning, but they are super difficult to get a hold of.

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing a similar situation?

I just got my ORC, but it's really low this year. It's under $2K. I got close to 6K for the first year. My school said they didn't know why it was that low and told me to contact the NHSC. I've been trying to reach them all morning, but they are super difficult to get a hold of.

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing a similar situation?
could be budget issues, people in the nhsc FB group said they experienced decreases as well. I had my ORC halved.

Mine was also low this year, just over 1k. I am taking boards this year and this does not even cover the cost to take both COMLEX and STEP. Has anyone received reimbursement for excess costs for board exams that ORC did not cover?