NHSC Scholarship 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just checked credit karma. No credit check :(. Is there still hope?
Same with me :( and I triple checked everything. I'm still hoping!!! The sad thing is that there is no way to find out which part of the application disqualified it from progressing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you haven't received a credit check yet, that may not mean your app has been disqualified.

Maybe they filter out applicants based on certain criteria like by # of points an app receives based on their rubric (see link to see review criteria and scoring)

HRSA Review Information

or maybe its based on GPA?

who knows, but don't lose hope because there could be a second round of credit checks

Members don't see this ad :)
NHSC Application 2016 is Officially Open!
I think there was only one person (not many) that didn't get a credit check. That same person had already applied in a previous year too so my speculation is maybe they only check credit once. But remember everything on here is complete speculation.
NHSC Scholarship 16/17
NHSC Scholarship 2015/2016

There are multiple previous year threads, which is why I used the term "many" :) similarly many people who did get a credit check did not get a finalist email, credit check basically doesn't tell you anything lol

Reactions: 1 users
Just a thought... but not everyone who applies for the scholarship is on SDN. Also, correlation does not imply causation. I think it's fair to say there's a correlation, but there are many who received a check later or not at all but still got the scholarship. And others who probably received the credit check but didn't receive the scholarship. Just be patient, and hope for the best!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

No credit check here, but I am a second-time applicant. Hopefully this means they do just one credit check when you first apply, and if you ever reapply, there's no need. Guess that would make some sense. PS- For those who did get a credit check, it's definitely a good sign. Last year I was told that no credit check means no chance of being a finalist. According to NHSC, the applicant "must have a history of honoring legal obligations.. and must not have defaulted on any federal payment obligations", and the only way they'd know that is by checking your credit score. Good luck guys! For stats, I did not get the scholarship last year, taught in an urban school for 3 years after graduation, had a 3.4 from a private university, and came from an underserved/rural area. Interested in peds.

No credit check here, but I am a second-time applicant. Hopefully this means they do just one credit check when you first apply, and if you ever reapply, there's no need. Guess that would make some sense. PS- For those who did get a credit check, it's definitely a good sign. Last year I was told that no credit check means no chance of being a finalist. According to NHSC, the applicant "must have a history of honoring legal obligations.. and must not have defaulted on any federal payment obligations", and the only way they'd know that is by checking your credit score. Good luck guys! For stats, I did not get the scholarship last year, taught in an urban school for 3 years after graduation, had a 3.4 from a private university, and came from an underserved/rural area. Interested in peds.
I also had around a lower gpa, disadvantaged background, good recs, and a ton of work in underserved areas and did not receive the award last year. Given how strong every other component of my application was, it makes me think that GPA is ranked heaviest. Has anyone heard of people winning with lower GPAs? Seems like all the people I saw posting that they had won had GPAs > 3.7.

Last edited:
I also had around a lower gpa, disadvantaged background, good recs, and a ton of work in underserved areas and did not receive the award last year. Given how strong every other component of my application was, it makes me think that GPA is ranked heaviest. Has anyone heard of people winning with lower GPAs? Seems like all the people I saw posting that they had won had GPAs > 3.7.

My bet is that they get so many applications that they use GPA as a screen out to get down to a manageable number. 3 full page essays, 2 letters and up to a 5 page resume would take quite a bit of time for one person to go over. I'm guessing they have a cut off and then don't even bother with the rest.

All the people I've seen who say they aren't disadvantaged and get the scholarship all have a 3.85 and up. Bummer for the rest of us but I guess its whats to be expected when there are 10 applicants for every spot. There just isn't enough time to carefully read and score that much paperwork.

Last edited:
My bet is that they get so many applications that they use GPA as a screen out to get down to a manageable number. 3 full page essays, 2 letters and up to a 5 page resume would take quite a bit of time for one person to go over. I'm guessing they have a cut off and then don't even bother with the rest.

All the people I've seen who say they aren't disadvantaged and get the scholarship all have a 3.85 and up. Bummer for the rest of us but I guess its whats to be expected when there are 10 applicants for every spot. There just isn't enough time to carefully read and score that much paperwork.
I don't know. If they had a threshold like that, then they should set that as one of the requirements for applying. If they aren't going to waste time even looking at people below a 3.5 (yet above the 3.0 min), then why make us waste time to apply. It doesn't make as much sense to me that they would state that they prioritize disadvantaged applicants yet award someone with a 3.9 gpa from a non-disadvantaged background.

I'm guessing they have a generic rejection email and do not state what you can do to improve your application?

Members don't see this ad :)

If you don't mind me asking, did you have your credit checked this year?

If you don't mind me asking, did you have your credit checked this year?
No credit check yet. I didn't get credit checked in the first round last year either.. got it the second round, sometime in mid July. When was yours checked last year, if you don't mind me asking ;)

Last edited:
I put a lot of effort in writing essays, getting LORs on time, and made sure each document has all required things. Still did not get a credit check! I am upset :meh: my gpa is 3.70 and have disadvantage background.

I don't think it has to do with GPA. I got first round checks last year and didnt get the scholarship. I got first round checks this year with a considerably lower GPA

out of curiosity...what stats or things are good enough or probably to land you the scholarship?

I don't think it has to do with GPA. I got first round checks last year and didnt get the scholarship. I got first round checks this year with a considerably lower GPA

May I ask what you think would be the strongest part of your application? Maybe that's the most important component then.

Well that is really interesting. I had thought that a first round check was a shoe-in but apparently that's not necessarily true. Is your GPA <3.4?

out of curiosity...what stats or things are good enough or probably to land you the scholarship?
According to the official guidance packet, the selection factors listed are numbered as 1) History of honoring prior legal obligations 2) Academic Performance 3) Commitment to Primary care and working in underserved communities - this includes LOR and essays 4) Not have any judgement liens and 5) Not be excluded or disbarred by another federal agency. We don't know how much weight these factors actually have and the resume isn't mentioned in there either. My conclusion after reading every thread last year is that really, everything here is pure speculation. It's hard to draw a concrete conclusion because there seem to be exceptions to every case (ie. one guy didn't get credit checked and still won, some people that got credit checked still didn't get an award). That said, frankly I think you need a slam dunk in every category to win. I met every category except a high GPA last year and I didn't win. I'm still glad for this site because at least we can support each other through the stress/uncertainty of it all. It's fun to dream --- and speculate ;)

Last edited:
Does anyone else have a "roles" tab on the right hand side of the application portal? Under roles it has participant and applicant.

Does anyone else have a "roles" tab on the right hand side of the application portal? Under roles it has participant and applicant.
I do see that. it's got a dot on "applicant". What does yours say?

I had a credit check on June 8th and I also have a 'participant' section in my roles tab. I don't think it means anything.

No credit check yet. I didn't get credit checked in the first round last year either.. got it the second round, sometime in mid July. When was yours checked last year, if you don't mind me asking ;)

I'm a second time applicant. Got my credit checked mid-June last year; did not get the scholarship. I just recently had my credit checked (seen via EquiFax and NOT TransUnion) on June 15, for this round. Nothing new on my application this round except I finished my first year of med school and was the president of a service club. Stats: Disadvantaged status, grew up in rural town, 3.4 undergrad, taught for 3 years in urban school (Americorps/TFA), Pediatric medicine applicant.

I'm hoping they don't use GPA to screen out applicants because I wouldn't think it's fair to compare an undergrads GPA to an OMS1.. I had a decent undergrad GPA but medical school is a bit more challenging.

I got this credit check on 6/12:
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
0 C/O TSYS INC1600 CAMPUS C BLDG3RD
COLUMBUS , GA 31901

Could this be NHSC, or is this for student loans?

I'm a second time applicant. Got my credit checked mid-June last year; did not get the scholarship. I just recently had my credit checked (seen via EquiFax and NOT TransUnion) on June 15, for this round. Nothing new on my application this round except I finished my first year of med school and was the president of a service club. Stats: Disadvantaged status, grew up in rural town, 3.4 undergrad, taught for 3 years in urban school (Americorps/TFA), Pediatric medicine applicant.
Thanks for killing all my hope as a reapplicant! I didn't have my credit checked either and was hoping that since I did last year, there was no need for them to do it again this year. Here's to being yet another well-qualified applicant to get denied.

anyone know when the next round of credit checks are relatively suppose to be?

Thanks for killing all my hope as a reapplicant! I didn't have my credit checked either and was hoping that since I did last year, there was no need for them to do it again this year. Here's to being yet another well-qualified applicant to get denied.

Don't lose hope! No reason to doubt yourself; Regardless of the scholarship, I'm sure you'll be a great provider and do great things for the world :)

Don't lose hope! No reason to doubt yourself; Regardless of the scholarship, I'm sure you'll be a great provider and do great things for the world :)

Why thank you! Gotta focus on studying for boards in a few weeks anyway!

Did you have to activate your account as a participant?

How many years of funding did you request? 2 or 3?
I requested funds for year 2, 3 and 4 (MD applicant). I do not have any updates to my portal, and no "roles" tab on the right... though I sure wish I did ;-) Didn't get any updates on it last year, either.

I requested funds for year 2, 3 and 4 (MD applicant). I do not have any updates to my portal, and no "roles" tab on the right... though I sure wish I did ;-) Didn't get any updates on it last year, either.
I am a first time applicant. I did not have a "roles" tab until I attempted to sign in as a participant. Then for whatever reason, the "roles" tab appeared on my application portal. I don't think this is an indicator of anything important!

Hey guys I got the scholarship last year. I just wanted to clear up a few things that I've read in the thread. Credit is checked every year you apply. (I applied twice - got credit check both times)
Having your credit check only means you are one step closer to getting the scholarship. It doesn't mean you got it.
However, in order to get the scholarship you must have a credit check at some point. Just wait till the finalist emails are sent out. Receiving a finalist email means that you got the scholarship. Also there are more than one round of finalist emails. I got the finalist email in the second round. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Hey guys I got the scholarship last year. I just wanted to clear up a few things that I've read in the thread. Credit is checked every year you apply. (I applied twice - got credit check both times)
Having your credit check only means you are one step closer to getting the scholarship. It doesn't mean you got it.
However, in order to get the scholarship you must have a credit check at some point. Just wait till the finalist emails are sent out. Receiving a finalist email means that you got the scholarship. Also there are more than one round of finalist emails. I got the finalist email in the second round. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
When was the first round of emails approximately and when did you receive it (the second round)?

False, there are people who have received the scholarship without a credit check.

When was the first round of emails approximately and when did you receive it (the second round)?
The first round of finalist emails went out on July 27th last year, according to what was posted in a previous thread. The credit check this year was earlier than last year, so I am hoping finalist emails go out earlier as well.

False, there are people who have received the scholarship without a credit check.
That they know of. They could have just not checked all 3 of their credit reports. On page 3 of the program guide it says, "In addition, information from other sources will be considered (e.g., credit bureau reports)." They specifically say credit reports will be considered. Will be considered. Not may be considered. That sounds like a pretty good case for credit checks being part of the process to me. Although, I'll admit, since they are so horrible at communication, I don't think anyone can know anything for sure.