NHSC Scholarship 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is the likelihood of getting this scholarship? I know it is very competitive but roughly how many people apply & how many scholars are there per year (medical and dental)?
From the application guide:
Capture.JPG

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I know this is significant for some reason, but can anybody tell me why exactly? I combed the old thread a bit and I can't exactly pin it down. Were those who were credit checked in June finalists in July? Or is this what I like to call "SDNer Correlation" where SDNers are looking for a correlation to predict there future where there is none?

I know that this is one of the steps to get the scholarship. I don't think there has been anyone on here who got the scholarship unless they get a credit check but not everyone who gets a check will be a finalist.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

From the application guide:
View attachment 219944
Keep in mind that those numbers are not dental specific. When I got the scholarship, they said there were only 20 or 25 dental students (it was in 2013 so there would have been around 180 total scholars. I have heard of numbers up to 50 or so, but it is extremely hard to get those specific of numbers out of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I gathered on last years thread, getting a credit check confirms that we filled out the paperwork correctly, which is an achievement given the ambiguities that I saw.

Reactions: 5 users
Hopefully checks go out around the 14th of June, like last year, but our application opened about a week later than last year, so

how will you know if your credit is being checked? do you get an email notification?

how will you know if your credit is being checked? do you get an email notification?

Check credit karma. It is free and doesn't hurt your score to check it. Downside you can only check it once a week.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Credit inquiry on Equifax today!!! From a company by the name of CREDCO. According to previous threads, it's the scholarship! I have identity guard, which alerts me any time there is activity with my credit. That being said, credit karma updates every week so keep an eye out this week. I know it doesn't mean much, but it's exciting to know that the process is moving forward after all the hard work we put into the application. Good luck everyone! I wish we could all get the scholarship.

Reactions: 2 users
Credit inquiry on Equifax today!!! From a company by the name of CREDCO. According to previous threads, it's the scholarship! I have identity guard, which alerts me any time there is activity with my credit. That being said, credit karma updates every week so keep an eye out this week. I know it doesn't mean much, but it's exciting to know that the process is moving forward after all the hard work we put into the application. Good luck everyone! I wish we could all get the scholarship.
:wow:

Hi everyone,

I also applied for the scholarship and just discovered this thread! haha Does anyone know how many dental applicants there were this year ? (guess)

Also saw credit inquiry via credit karma (inquiry was made on June 8) through credco. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they always use equifax or do they switch between the 3 bureaus?

Nothing for me yet. Anxiety and crushing self-doubt initiated!! :scared:

Just had an alert from protectmyid.com (had a year of free service) showing a credit pull from CREDCO. It was reported by EQUIFAX with an inquiry date of 6/8.

I had two inquiries shown on my credit karma. One from CREDCO on 6/8 and one from PR SCREENING 6/7. I think the latter was for my apartment lease though.

FINGERS CROSSED FOR EVERYONE!

Do they always use equifax or do they switch between the 3 bureaus?
Judging from previous threads, they only pull from equifax. I haven't seen anyone write that they had their transunion or experian credit checked. But this is just speculation!

Does anyone know if there is a second cycle for pulling credit reports?

for those of you who got the check, when did you submit your app?

Does credit check mean you got the scholarship? What if you don't have a credit check yet?

how do i check if they checked it if I never had a credit card or loan? never had literally any loan to my name.

I'm an OMS-I, and I also got the credit check on 6/8!

Did not get that credit check :(. Darn

Credit Karma shows I have 2 total inquiries 1 of which is a "recent inquiry". However it only gives details for one of the inquiries. Why can't I see details on both? Thanks!

Are you sure of this? Or just speculation?
The entire credit check idea is a speculation, but if it's true, I'm pretty sure there are 2 or more rounds of credit checks. I remember feeling all depressed that I hadn't gotten one when others had, but a few weeks or a month later, I looked again, and there it was. I think mine was in July if that gives anyone who doesn't have it yet hope.

Reactions: 5 users
Checked by "US Department of Education?" Is that it or is that just from my school or something?

Yes definitely speculation. Also, some people in the past have gotten scholarship without credit inquiry

Just noticed but credit check from CREDCO on Jun 8 via equifax! Submitted 4/15 (but I don't think it really matters).

Credit Check: 06/08 By Credco
Submitted: 4/27
MD Applicant
Disadvantaged Status
GPA: 3.97

Another speculation-possibly checking in alphabetical order?