2022 NHSC Scholarship Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if the ORC counts towards total cost of attendance?
Yes. But maybe not the full amount. As I’ve mentioned previously, they throw in an extra $2k or so for a new laptop. I’m not sure if that amount would count toward that, but the whole purpose of the ORC payment is to cover other costs of attendance not included in the tuition payment.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard that NHSC covers AEGD residency for primary dentistry? Is this correct? If so then do we serve another year, which equated to total of 5 years if they covered 4 years of dental school and 1 year of residency?

I heard that NHSC covers AEGD residency for primary dentistry? Is this correct? If so then do we serve another year, which equated to total of 5 years if they covered 4 years of dental school and 1 year of residency?
They do not. They allow you to do it and defer your service, but they will not pay anything for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
First Round Finalist Notification: August 08, 2022
Submitted: August 10, 2022

Countersignature: September 20, 2022 8:37 AM

Reactions: 5 users
how long does it take for NHSC to respond to your questoin when you ask it through the portal? it's been almost a week for me now and still no response

Hey everyone!

I was awarded the scholarship early this month and I'm a little confused on the specifics on what we need to do. I do know that we need to get in contact with our school's financial aid and submit invoices, but what about summer term? I took classes this summer for my program and did not receive a summer EVF for it despite stating that on the fall EVF form. It also says that we need to submit our transcripts... To where? It doesn't show anywhere on my participation portal.

Can someone give me insight please? Thanks!

Hey everyone!

I was awarded the scholarship early this month and I'm a little confused on the specifics on what we need to do. I do know that we need to get in contact with our school's financial aid and submit invoices, but what about summer term? I took classes this summer for my program and did not receive a summer EVF for it despite stating that on the fall EVF form. It also says that we need to submit our transcripts... To where? It doesn't show anywhere on my participation portal.

Can someone give me insight please? Thanks!
If you didn’t get a summer EVF and believe you should have, you should reach out to them either on your portal or by calling them. You can also wait until the Webinar and ask your questions if they don’t address it during the presentation.
To submit your transcripts and EVFs on your portal, you go to “ask a question” on the lower l left. Under category, select “In School: Verification”. Browse for your EVF form under “upload document”, label it, hit “upload”, then “send”.

Does anyone know what the monthly stipend averages out too after taxes?

So does the monthly stipend count as taxable income? I'm concerned it'll make me ineligible for my state's medicaid program, anyone have any insight on this?

I was told that my summer term (required for my program) won't be covered because it started in late June 2022. Is this true? If so, will they still cover for living expenses, etc. Starting July 2022?

Also, is "part-time" defined by our specific school? I have a semester that's a pretty light load, but it's normal for my program to have this. ALSO, I won't have any classes next summer, again it's normal for my program. With this being said, will NHSC SP cover for living expenses within that month and do I have to notify them?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How are you going about ORC? My financial aid office only creates inovices that are billed to my student account. I was thinking about asking my academic advisor to create the invoice.... Please help!

I was told that my summer term (required for my program) won't be covered because it started in late June 2022. Is this true? If so, will they still cover for living expenses, etc. Starting July 2022?

Also, is "part-time" defined by our specific school? I have a semester that's a pretty light load, but it's normal for my program to have this. ALSO, I won't have any classes next summer, again it's normal for my program. With this being said, will NHSC SP cover for living expenses within that month and do I have to notify them?
That sounds correct. The NHSC fiscal year is from July to June, so that is usually the timeline that they work under. They will give you stipend back to July no matter what.
I doubt you’ll have to worry about part-time. Most programs are considered full-time regardless of how light a semester is.
I believe should pay stipend for summer, but you can ask that during the webinar if you need to.

How are you going about ORC? My financial aid office only creates inovices that are billed to my student account. I was thinking about asking my academic advisor to create the invoice.... Please help!
You should not have to submit any invoice. The NHSC calculates ORC based on the amounts that the school reports for cost of attendance.

Reactions: 1 user
That sounds correct. The NHSC fiscal year is from July to June, so that is usually the timeline that they work under. They will give you stipend back to July no matter what.
I doubt you’ll have to worry about part-time. Most programs are considered full-time regardless of how light a semester is.
I believe should pay stipend for summer, but you can ask that during the webinar if you need to.
When is the webinar?

Well I’ll be in an exam so if anyone could take some notes that would be helpful
It will be recorded to watch at your own time. And no one here is going to be taking notes just for you.

NHSC New Scholar Welcome Webinar
Tuesday, October 4
2:00 - 3:30 p.m. ET

Check email for link.

i guess i didn't think it through but if NHSC only covers tuition and ORC, is stipend the onyl way to cover for rent + food/personal stuff?

Yes as long as the total doesn’t go above the school’s COA.
thank you! and i guess i'm not sure if you'd know but if i received a disadvantaged tuition grant and health professional loan for my fin aid before i received the NHSC SP, am i still allowed to keep them?

thank you! and i guess i'm not sure if you'd know but if i received a disadvantaged tuition grant and health professional loan for my fin aid before i received the NHSC SP, am i still allowed to keep them?
That’s pretty specific into something I never had to deal with, but I know that is in either the guide or the documentation that you should have gotten as a new scholar.

After we have been notified we got the scholarship, what do we have to do next? Ive seen some talk about receiving an invoice ? Im kind of confused on what the next steps are to take. Congrats to everyone too btw!

webinar is at 2. I got class so hopefully they record it

damn they awarded 1200 new awards this year

I'm currently having a q/a session in zoom and I'm so confused.
They told me that I can NOT take an additional loan from FAFSA for living expenses if I'm an NHSC participant.
The monthly stipend they will provide is not enough for my living expenses..

• Angry
They told me that I can NOT take an additional loan from FAFSA for living expenses if I'm an NHSC participant.
Not necessarily true. You can. And most scholars that I know personally did. Unless they changed something, but I HAD to in order to pay my rent. The stipend was just simply not enough.

Not necessarily true. You can. And most scholars that I know personally did. Unless they changed something, but I HAD to in order to pay my rent. The stipend was just simply not enough.
i feel like they changed a couple of things this year :(
they're not even going to pay for any costs after falll 2022 so we need to adjust or cancel loans for future semesters...
but how do they expect us to know how much to estimate??

I'd definitely talk to the financial aid office at your school about this... Mine told me I can take out addition loans for living expenses if needed, I just need to tell them (financial aid office).

Reactions: 2 users
did they say when the recording should be posted/sent out?

i feel like they changed a couple of things this year :(
they're not even going to pay for any costs after falll 2022 so we need to adjust or cancel loans for future semesters...
but how do they expect us to know how much to estimate??
What do you mean they aren’t going to pay for any costs after fall 2022?

What do you mean they aren’t going to pay for any costs after fall 2022?
omg i guess i worded it kind of incorrectly
but they're not going to let us take out loans after fall 2022 at all so we need to adjust our future semester loans with fin aid office before fall 2022 ends because once fall 2022 is over theyre not gonna let us take out loans
so we can't borrow loans then cancel or reimburse ourselves once disbursement of bills are out

so we essentially can’t have any loans/personal payments applied towards Spring semester bill before the NHSC payment comes through bc they will no longer be reimbursing recipients.

omg i guess i worded it kind of incorrectly
but they're not going to let us take out loans after fall 2022 at all so we need to adjust our future semester loans with fin aid office before fall 2022 ends because once fall 2022 is over theyre not gonna let us take out loans
so we can't borrow loans then cancel or reimburse ourselves once disbursement of bills are out

so we essentially can’t have any loans/personal payments applied towards Spring semester bill before the NHSC payment comes through bc they will no longer be reimbursing recipients.
Hmm. That doesn’t sound right. I would talk to your financial aid department and come up with a plan like @zacheman suggested because there shouldn’t be any reason why you can’t.

Hmm. That doesn’t sound right. I would talk to your financial aid department and come up with a plan like @zacheman suggested because there shouldn’t be any reason why you can’t.
my fin aid advisor was the one who advised me to adjust my spring loans after seeing that NHSC SP wouldnt reimburse after fall 2022
and even in todays Q&A i asked about it and they told me i would have to talk to fin aid advisor to cancel or adjust future semester loans :\

idk why but it seems like NHSC SP is changing things up this year
also they surprisingly awarded 1200 more recipients this year compared to prev years.... i wonder why?

So just to be clear:

Our stipend is counted toward our COA even though it isn’t… reported to the school? / invoiced?

my fin aid advisor was the one who advised me to adjust my spring loans after seeing that NHSC SP wouldnt reimburse after fall 2022
and even in todays Q&A i asked about it and they told me i would have to talk to fin aid advisor to cancel or adjust future semester loans :\

idk why but it seems like NHSC SP is changing things up this year
also they surprisingly awarded 1200 more recipients this year compared to prev years.... i wonder why?
I’m not convinced things are changing. They’ve always said things like that, but it’s never actually worked out that way. You just might have to navigate things differently for your personal situation.
They awarded more because the government went crazy with spending during COVID. They awarded a record amount to programs like NHSC as part of the American Rescue Plan.

I’m not convinced things are changing. They’ve always said things like that, but it’s never actually worked out that way. You just might have to navigate things differently for your personal situation.
They awarded more because the government went crazy with spending during COVID. They awarded a record amount to programs like NHSC as part of the American Rescue Plan.
i hope you're right. i'm just worried about the potential risk of not getting reimbursed after fall 2022 if i still borrow more loans for spring 2023 semester

and ahh i see makes sense. that's nice to hear!

So just to be clear:

Our stipend is counted toward our COA even though it isn’t… reported to the school? / invoiced?
Yes and no. Technically yes, but maybe not. My first year, they didn’t count the stipend toward my COA. At the start of year 2, I got an email scolding me saying that I shouldn’t have gotten the extra loans because I was receiving the stipend. Then they said if they catch it happening again, they would take back everything they over-dispensed. After that, I could only take out loans for the amount it took to get me up to the COA, which wasn’t much, but at least let me pay rent.
So, I guess it’s whether or not you can get away with it and for how long.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Yes and no. Technically yes, but maybe not. My first year, they didn’t count the stipend toward my COA. At the start of year 2, I got an email scolding me saying that I shouldn’t have gotten the extra loans because I was receiving the stipend. Then they said if they catch it happening again, they would take back everything they over-dispensed. After that, I could only take out loans for the amount it took to get me up to the COA, which wasn’t much, but at least let me pay rent.
So, I guess it’s whether or not you can get away with it and for how long.

this is what confuses me because i asked the NHSC about this and they said that the stipend did not count towards COA

this is what confuses me because i asked the NHSC about this and they said that the stipend did not count towards COA
so if stipend doesn't count towards COA, are we allowed to take out additional loans to cover the rest of COA (living expenses)? cuz im hearing confliciting things about even being able to borrow additional loans