New Jersey Medical School Class of 2010 -or- hopeful :o)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys,

just clearing up a little misconception...the parking is about 150-180...the 800 is for guaranteed parking. The parking rates are the same as if u were commuting to school. so again its 150-180 NOT 800.

i personally will be living in the dorms, i commuted about 45 min my first year (REALLY ANNOYING!!)

Members don't see this ad.

4 Ever said:
I honestly don't know what the new housing looks like inside so I really can't say how it would compare to living in SH. The thing about SH that is nice is that i KNOW i dont need to worry about too many people being loud considering it's a townhome (though some models have a condo stacked on them - One condo taking up 2 bottom floors while another is stacked on taking floors 3 and 4). The model I am currently in has a garage spot and a driveway spot so that adds to the convenience. Also, it's more of a home like feal and doesn't feel like you're in a dorm (and thus back in undergrad). Some people don't mind the dorm like feal and some would rather stick to it so it really depends on your preference.

As for the two locations, you are correct that they are relatively in the same location. The SH area surrounding the school has security driving around all the time and many times even when I park my car in front of the house but not parked, they sometimes sit to see what is going on before driving away.

Regarding the SH areas, the apartments are pretty nice AND cheaper compared to the dorms. Prices range anywhere from 550 to a smaller BR where you share a bathroom with one other person to about 750ish with a large BR and your own full bath. I've personally kept a tabulation of how much I have spent on utilities, rent, cable, internet, phone for the past year and it comes out to be about 8500/year. Comparing that to living in one of those 3 BR apartments at 830/month and 200 for the year for electricity comes out to be about 10,100/year but this place includes having laundry on the premises so no having to worry running around finding quarters or wondering why your clothes aren't in the dryer when you left them there (and all the other problems with laundromat type systems). The place has 3BR and 2.5baths so bathrooms aren't an issue either. The ONLY problem you could say would be the 4minute door to door walk to the school. Of course if you live in a 2BR or 1BR, the cost of living may increase another 4-5000/year. It all depends on how much you are willing to dish out.

IF money is no problem and a person doesn't mind the commute, hoboken and newport area of JC is great to live in (however if you want newport, you need to get an application in now because there is a HUGEEE wait list and when you see the apartment and location, you will know why). The areas are prime for having fun after an exam and a hop skip away from NYC. The only time traffic becomes a problem is going INTO hoboken around 5pm. Newport apartments cost about 1600 for 1BR but you honestly are paying for what you are getting (view of NYC, apartment NEXT to the waterfront, a ferry that will take you into NYC, etc). Hoboken apartments may be around 1100-1600 (i really can't recall pricing in that area)

Parking shouldn't be a problem if you come in before 10am but by then the new parking deck underneath the dorms will be complete so it will alleviate the parking problem further. Add to that the fact that a new 8 or 9 story parking deck also opened up a month or so ago and parking is even less of a problem. Of course this is just speculation but it shouldn't be a problem if you go to class.

Also, Armydoc is right on all points and i agree with him wholely. Definitely go to the housing day if you can to find someone to room with and to find a place in the area. If all else fails, you can go into the dorms. Also he is right that for 800/month you can find a huge apartment in newark. So just things to consider. I would determine whether you want to commute or not worry about a commute in order to decide where to live.

A car is definitely recommended because there is no guarantee your preceptorship will be in newark (and even then, it may be a drive to get there). So keep that in mind when deciding on apartments also in case you haven't (i know of some people that didn't think of getting a car during their first year and even somehow managed the 2nd year but 95% of people need cars)

4 Ever, you are wonderful. Thanks for all the insight. I've been out of school for four years now, so I'm definitely not interested in returning to the dorm lifestyle. Reading the website, I was thinking that the full apartments, as opposed to a bedroom only/down the hall bath/kitchenette dormatory, would create more of a mature environment, but also a fun atmosphere with a bunch of first years are all living together. Great breakdown of the pricing as well. Are there one bedroom also available in SH? Unfortunately I can't make the housing day, so I was thinking about getting a place on my own, at least for the first year, and then seeing what happens after that. It definitely sounds like a big jump in price though, and much more if I were to live in Hoboken/Jersey City instead...

Thanks again. What are all the other incoming first-years going to do?

drguy22 said:
hey guys,

just clearing up a little misconception...the parking is about 150-180...the 800 is for guaranteed parking. The parking rates are the same as if u were commuting to school. so again its 150-180 NOT 800.

i personally will be living in the dorms, i commuted about 45 min my first year (REALLY ANNOYING!!)

thanks for clearing that up.

4 Ever, good breakdown on the housing situation in the surrounding area. Thanks.
One question, if I may. I'm considering a place in SH. Do you know how safe it is to park your car in the front of the buildings? I've heard horror stories from other people about broken windows, etc, but i'm not sure how bad the situation really is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not going to NJMS in the fall, but I currently live in Newark (downtown) and pay 1400 a month for a 2BR apartment, that is... get this: 1850 sq ft.
So yeah, there are definitely cheaper options out there!

Good luck guys! :)

beponychick said:
I'm not going to NJMS in the fall, but I currently live in Newark (downtown) and pay 1400 a month for a 2BR apartment, that is... get this: 1850 sq ft.
So yeah, there are definitely cheaper options out there!

Good luck guys! :)

Oh, and Im moving out July 1st (moving to New Brunswick) so there will be a a 2BR apartment available on Halsey Street. :)

Army_Doc said:
thanks for clearing that up.

4 Ever, good breakdown on the housing situation in the surrounding area. Thanks.
One question, if I may. I'm considering a place in SH. Do you know how safe it is to park your car in the front of the buildings? I've heard horror stories from other people about broken windows, etc, but i'm not sure how bad the situation really is.

i have a nice car and have parked it on the street many times and have yet to ever get it broken into (hopefully i don't jinx myself) but there are a couple of common sense things to do. For one, I don't have anything of value inside my car (nothing in the trunk, nothing in the front or anywhere). So as long as u dont have anything valuable you should be fine

Certain types of cars are more prone. Jeep Cherokees and Acura Integras tend to be targets. Get a club and just be smart about it.

4 Ever said:
i have a nice car and have parked it on the street many times and have yet to ever get it broken into (hopefully i don't jinx myself) but there are a couple of common sense things to do. For one, I don't have anything of value inside my car (nothing in the trunk, nothing in the front or anywhere). So as long as u dont have anything valuable you should be fine

Wow, I have to say I had a totally different experience. My car (parked right in front of my apartment building) was broken into TWICE during a 6 month period about a year ago. And the second time, the guy was still in there!!!! I'm not even kidding!!!!

beponychick said:
Wow, I have to say I had a totally different experience. My car (parked right in front of my apartment building) was broken into TWICE during a 6 month period about a year ago. And the second time, the guy was still in there!!!! I'm not even kidding!!!!

that is some horrible luck you have there. Was anything stolen those two times? It's really just luck of the draw... every so often you will hear about someone's car being broken into but like UD said, keep a club on, park in well lit areas (preferably next to some street light), park in a place that gets more traffic, don't keep any valuables in the car, and you should be safe. I've heard more of people breaking INTO cars and almost nothing about actual car theft.

On the topic of housing, there is one other area that I failed to mention which is extremely nice. 1BR apartments in south orange (very nice area of downtown) for 1600 and 2200 i think for 2BR. A wide range of utilities are included in this and you are literally a one minute walk away from the south orange train station which can go to newark or straight to the city. It's also more safer than being in newark and the south orange community is great to hang around in (gaslight is a great bar/diner, starbucks, coldstone, dunkin donuts, etc etc). If the Gaslight commons apartments are a bit pricey (compared to everything else in the area) then you could look into some of the other ones in the area that are much cheaper (i.e. seton grove).

I didn't go to the reception earlier this year and I was wondering, what's the dress code for housing day? biz cas?

mintchip15 said:
I didn't go to the reception earlier this year and I was wondering, what's the dress code for housing day? biz cas?

business casual...no jeans, nice pants and a shirt/polo will do.

i hope to see u all at housing day...MAYBE (depends on my packing)

drguy22 said:
business casual...no jeans, nice pants and a shirt/polo will do.

i hope to see u all at housing day...MAYBE (depends on my packing)

ripped jeans, unbuttoned vest, pirate hat

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Does anyone commute in from Manhattan? If you lived near a Path station, it seems like it might even be easier to get to school from New York than to drive in from Jersey City or Hoboken and have to worry about parking on either end. According to the NJMS website, Newark Penn station is just one mile from campus and there are busses and shuttles that make the trip regularly. I'm curious about the logistics because I have friends with a room available in the West Village, and rent would be similar to the one bedroom in the new student housing and much cheaper than finding a place by myself in Hoboken or Jersey City. Anyone else thinking about commuting in from the city or have any knowledge of how easy/difficult this might be?

Catapult said:
Does anyone commute in from Manhattan? If you lived near a Path station, it seems like it might even be easier to get to school from New York than to drive in from Jersey City or Hoboken and have to worry about parking on either end. According to the NJMS website, Newark Penn station is just one mile from campus and there are busses and shuttles that make the trip regularly. I'm curious about the logistics because I have friends with a room available in the West Village, and rent would be similar to the one bedroom in the new student housing and much cheaper than finding a place by myself in Hoboken or Jersey City. Anyone else thinking about commuting in from the city or have any knowledge of how easy/difficult this might be?

been thinking about that as well, but keep in mind that West Village PATH will take you to Journal Sq (~15-20 min), and you have to transfer there to get to Newark Penn (~10 min). From Newark, there’s a shuttle every 15 min that takes 10-15 min to get to school, so you are looking at a solid 45 min- 1 hour commute door to door. This isn’t too bad, but considering that if you have a car in Hoboken, you can get to school within 20 min (correct me if I’m wrong?), a travel-time loss of 1 hour could be significant.

Proximity to NYC is impt to me as well, so I’m seriously thinking about Jersey City, which might be a good compromise of size, price, and location. Then again, the immediate social life in JC is severely lacking, making Hoboken a more attractive choice. Then again, the high density of bars and WASPy/JAPpy rich girls in Hoboken makes it a dangerous town for me, so I’m still up in the air over everything.

Catapult said:

It's doable, maybe not ideal, but doable. I know a couple students and professors who do it every day. It's a long commute, but for those who are married or have significant others on Long Island or in Manhattan or wherever, these are the options available. It just means you have to get up earlier and will get home later. Some I know drove an hour each way every day. It depends on your situation.

Personally, I lived at home this year, 30 minutes commute on a good day, 45 minutes to an hour most days. I'm moving to Newark next year but for first year, it worked and it was cheaper. Something you have to take into account is the price of commuting by car or by train. It may be worth it to get a more expensive place in Newark than a cheaper place farther away.

if u choose to live in NYC, you would pay out of state tuition....not a nice number....

I have a dilemma...I am either going to live in Newark on-campus in a 1 Bdrm hopefully for the ridiculous $1100 a month or I'm going to live with a friend in a 2 Bdrm apt. in Montclair for $500 a month. Is the price difference worth it to be close to school and the hospital and classmates? I'm so torn I really don't know what to do. :confused: Thanks for the help!

PS- I'd be bringing my car if I lived in Montclair but leaving it home if I lived on campus.

PuRpLeSwIrLzZz said:
I have a dilemma...I am either going to live in Newark on-campus in a 1 Bdrm hopefully for the ridiculous $1100 a month or I'm going to live with a friend in a 2 Bdrm apt. in Montclair for $500 a month. Is the price difference worth it to be close to school and the hospital and classmates? I'm so torn I really don't know what to do. :confused: Thanks for the help!

PS- I'd be bringing my car if I lived in Montclair but leaving it home if I lived on campus.

even if you lived on campus, there is no guarantee that your preceptorship will be in UH. So you might still require a car while at NJMS. If money is an issue, then you might want to think about the 7200/year difference between the two. There are plenty of commuters who are still able to maintain fairly good friendships at school and go to all the events. There are so many factors to consider when debating between living in the dorms and outside of newark so it really comes down to which is beneficial to you

housing day is tomm...i wonder what information we are going to expect from the dorms :)

ASDIC said:
housing day is tomm...i wonder what information we are going to expect from the dorms :)

i think spokesman for the housing is going to make a presentation at the housing day 2m....i believe 10-11AM

are any of the guys coming looking for a roommate at UMDNJ housing?

thegingerbreadm said:
are any of the guys coming looking for a roommate at UMDNJ housing?

believe so, i am at least, probably a number of people i'm guessing

seemed like most of the people I talked to at housing day were unsure of whether they wanted to live in the UMDNJ housing. Did anyone find roommates at housing day?

jc582 said:
seemed like most of the people I talked to at housing day were unsure of whether they wanted to live in the UMDNJ housing. Did anyone find roommates at housing day?

I wasn't even able to go to the housing day <_>
But im thinking i'll just try and find a place in soc hill
Anyone possibly interested can pm me/email me ([email protected]). Im thinking i'll be in town to go check places out sometime in the second week of june

I got the call two hours ago!!

Now I have tough choices to make. I really like SOM and I already have an apt picked out there and I already have all my furniture which I spent monthes refinishing the wood on. So since i have my own furniture I wont be moving into the campus housing, Im probably looking for a 1 bedroom for under a grand. Im not even sure where Im going yet, i have many reasons to attend SOM and I think NJMS is a great school. I appologize to anyone who just read the last few sentances, that was a bunch of jumbled thoughts lol

Whats Up guys.

I just got into NJMS on monday. Just wanted to Say whats up!! Hope to meet some of you in the fall.

gotgame83 said:
Now I have tough choices to make. I really like SOM and I already have an apt picked out there and I already have all my furniture which I spent monthes refinishing the wood on. So since i have my own furniture I wont be moving into the campus housing, Im probably looking for a 1 bedroom for under a grand. Im not even sure where Im going yet, i have many reasons to attend SOM and I think NJMS is a great school. I appologize to anyone who just read the last few sentances, that was a bunch of jumbled thoughts lol

Congrats Gotgame! That is so wonderful!!!!!

I personally think you should go to NJMS. I LOVED it there!

Does anyone know how long I have to decide. Someone told me I have one week to turn in my deposit after I receive the letter in the mail. Does anyone think its even possible to get a good apt for under a grand in a good neighborhood up by NJMS. I might have to look for a roomate.

Thanks Bepony. I was really surprised. I got the phone call around 130pm. I was driving in the rain(if you live in Jersey thats all we have seen for days) and I had to pull over lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Roca. Good, its tough making a life long decision in a few days but two weeks is a lot better.

Well I have just been looking at some of the housing online by NJMS. Well, originally I was planning on living alone. Yea thats not happening now, the cost of apartments is a LOT more then I thought it would be. So whos looking for roomates lol

Last edited:
congrats gotgame....did you get in off the waitlist?

Yea. I got waitlisted back in Feb. I got a phone call from Heinrich two days ago in the afternoon. He personally told me that all my efforts of writing letters and going up to meet with him is what paid off. Are you waitlisted now?

Last edited:
roca88 said:
so you chose NJMS then?

I have a pros and cons list going right now. I am adding to it day by day. I never went on a tour of njms so I am going to try to get up there and take another look at it as well as housing options. Oh and Roca, good call with the two weeks thing. NJMS did UPS overnight and I got the letter and packet today and thats what it said.

does anyone here have any info on teh open house that njms will be having tomorrow? i was thinking of going, so i called the office to find out the details. they said that they'd email me the flyer, but i haven't got any email yet :-(

Open house? Hmmm.

yup im on the waitlist as well...i have been in contact with Dr. H ever since I was waitlisted back in December...Well heres to hoping I hear from ANY school soon!

NjGirl said:
yup im on the waitlist as well...i have been in contact with Dr. H ever since I was waitlisted back in December...Well heres to hoping I hear from ANY school soon!

i'm on the waitlist too njgirl, at both njmed and rwj. i have been in touch with dr. heinrich as well, but i didn't go to personally meet with him. reading what gotgame said in a previous post, that meeting dr. h paid off, it's got me a bit worried now.

Any information about this open house 2morrow? I never got a chance to really see the school and this might be a good opportunity.(Not to mention my parents are trying to get me to help put up a fence tomorrow that I am trying to get out of lol)

hey everyone,
i received a call from Dr. H on wednesday too (i think he called me right after he called u gotgame, based on the time u mentioned earlier)
anyway, i'm currently deciding between university of cincinnati and njms?

i didn't get a chance to really see njms as well, so i haven't been able to decide which school to attend yet....anybody care to offer some insight/suggestions?

Hey froggo where are u from? If your local and want to take a trip up there just let me know.

gotgame83 said:
Hey froggo where are u from? If your local and want to take a trip up there just let me know.

hey gotgame,
i'm a jersey resident, but currently in toronto, canada
i wouldn't mind going down to check it out though, just need to arrange a time