New Jersey Medical School Class of 2010 -or- hopeful :o)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Bepony, I understood that, but I also know some schools need your parent's info. anyway to consider you for scholarships and certain grants and so it varies school to school. I was just wondering about NJMS' policy on parental info.

Members don't see this ad.

scneuro said:
Thanks Bepony, I understood that, but I also know some schools need your parent's info. anyway to consider you for scholarships and certain grants and so it varies school to school. I was just wondering about NJMS' policy on parental info.

http://www.umdnj.edu/studentfinancialaid/app_process/packet_forms.htm

http://www.umdnj.edu/studentfinancialaid/app_process/06/Application_Instructions_0607.pdf

In the pdf file it states:
3. PARENTAL INFORMATION is required ONLY in the following instances:

b. Any graduate/professional students who wish to be considered for the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Title VII funds (i.e. LDS, SDS, HPSL and PCL), regardless of age or dependency status. See Summary of Major Financial Aid Programs for definitions. For Title VII consideration, all parental information MUST be provided yearly. Providing parental information will not affect eligibility for the Title IV funds which include: Federal Stafford Loans, Perkins Loans, and Federal Work Study.
c. Any first time graduate/professional student who received a prior Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF) grant or whose sibling has received EOF at a New Jersey college.

I would call and check to make sure about their policies. Regardless, I don't see any harm in putting down parental info because you'll still be eligible for Stafford Loans and Perkins Loans which are the big ones.

scneuro said:
Maybe DRGUY can answer this, but do you need to include your parent's tax info. for FAFSA at NJMS? I'm trying to take care of this, but I can't get an answer. Thanks!

u should include it....it really only matters if ur parents dont make too much money, cuz then u would be entitled to title VIII or something like tat funds, such as perkins, ect ect. If ur parents make too much money...i dont think it really matters.....

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
roca88 said:
Anybody hear anything lately? When exactly are they going to make these 'final decisions'? I've just been waiting for an answer post-interview from these people since the beginning of november, and they've said they're 'delaying' many of these decisions--any past applicants know what this means and how long it finally took them to give these final acceptances? Soon? March?

just give them a call...see wat they say. I do know that the class is pretty much filled with only a FEW spots remaining.

In case anyone is still antsy in their pantsy:

I just got a call from Dean H. last night notifying me of my acceptance. I interviewed in early January, and Dean H apologized for taking so long to call me (he said they were saving me a spot or something). So if anyone thinks they're done with acceptances, you're wrong.

Stats: 33R, 3.50 overall, 3.50 BCMP

OK, here's my question to you guys:

What is the deal with the new student housing building?? I would really like to know more about it, as the 'housing in Newark' issue is really one of biggest footnotes to this school.

anybody definitely gonna go here?

chiggachu said:
In case anyone is still antsy in their pantsy:

I just got a call from Dean H. last night notifying me of my acceptance. I interviewed in early January, and Dean H apologized for taking so long to call me (he said they were saving me a spot or something). So if anyone thinks they're done with acceptances, you're wrong.

Stats: 33R, 3.50 overall, 3.50 BCMP

OK, here's my question to you guys:

What is the deal with the new student housing building?? I would really like to know more about it, as the 'housing in Newark' issue is really one of biggest footnotes to this school.

Housing really shouldn't be a worry. The housing building will be completed by the time first years start, and if you don't wish to live there you can live right in society hill which is a block away from the school. Society hill is a really nice area... kinda like an oasis amongst a dessert.

Just curious, any idea when fin aid packages start being completed?

Random q-
Do NJMS students have any free time? Is the preceptorship/physician's core thing more of a pain than a learning experience?

I'm a current M1.

There are pluses and minuses to Physician's Core. Preceptorship is one of the pluses. PM me with questions which I'll answer whenever possible.

Hey all -

Anyone have any new insight into NJMS's waitilist this year? does it seem that many people will be withdrawing their acceptance come May 15?

Any new info on this would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
pizan0 said:
Hey all -

Anyone have any new insight into NJMS's waitilist this year? does it seem that many people will be withdrawing their acceptance come May 15?

Any new info on this would be much appreciated.

I am going to withdraw my waitlist spot, if that is of any help :rolleyes:

beponychick said:
I am going to withdraw my waitlist spot, if that is of any help :rolleyes:
Well, because you have already decided on another great school, its safe to say, without feeling badly.......YES!!

Keep it coming!!! (this goes out to those of you who have actually gotten into other schools and are withdrawing your spot at NJMS)

does anyone know when we should be expecting our financial award letters?? Is NJMS usually pretty good with this?

usually may-june...also I have heard from the dental school applicants the UMDNJ housing will not be ready until october...so we gotta scramble for housing for august and september :(

ASDIC said:
usually may-june...also I have heard from the dental school applicants the UMDNJ housing will not be ready until october...so we gotta scramble for housing for august and september :(

the admin is assuring us that the housing WILL be ready b4 school starts. ill let u guys know more info when i get it.... :thumbup:

The housing most likely won't be available, unless the builders move at ungodly speeds. The amazing high school they're building across the street will probably be done before the apartments. Anybody who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something (like convincing you to come to their school). I only point this out because I would rather not see anybody get screwed and not have a place to live and I also know this school better than anybody.

Also, ask how much the rent is. The school's purpose behind the dorms is to make money, and you can likely find a cheaper, just as nice place to live that's 5 minutes away.

did u guys receive financial aid packages?

Does anyone know anything about the humanism in medicine scholarship program?? I've heard that it involves extra community service, seminars, mentoring, etc. Just wondering if anyone knows any details on it...

They meet once a month with Dr. Wilson (an awesome guy, by the way) and discuss humanism. They keep journals on their experiences with patients. Also, they are expected to work on a project (usually over the summer) related to humanism. One of the girls I talked to who was in it said it was especially good because a lot of the doctors working there knew who she was because of it.

Were you offered the scholarship? PM please me if you were.

Hi! I'm new to the thread and posting in general. I was wondering if anyone is planning on going to the F.I.R.S.T. program this summer. I'm really excited about it and was hoping I could see if others were also going to attend!

Melian said:
Hi! I'm new to the thread and posting in general. I was wondering if anyone is planning on going to the F.I.R.S.T. program this summer. I'm really excited about it and was hoping I could see if others were also going to attend!
Hi,

Would anyone happen to know how NJMS's alternate list works? I thought I understood it, but I just thought of something else. Does NJMS automatically put everyone who was interviewed but not accepted onto the alternate list, or do some just get rejected post interview?

Also, about the F.I.R.S.T program...I'm assuming that you have to be accepted to NJMS first before you do that program. But, how does it work? Do they ask you to do the program or do you apply? Any info on the program would be great.

Thanks!

raph91 said:
The housing most likely won't be available, unless the builders move at ungodly speeds. The amazing high school they're building across the street will probably be done before the apartments. Anybody who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something (like convincing you to come to their school). I only point this out because I would rather not see anybody get screwed and not have a place to live and I also know this school better than anybody.

Also, ask how much the rent is. The school's purpose behind the dorms is to make money, and you can likely find a cheaper, just as nice place to live that's 5 minutes away.

If the dorms won't be ready, where are the other places to live? Is the Newark area safe or would it be wiser to live in the neighboring towns? What is the average rent in the area?

F.I.R.S.T. is a summer prematriculation program for URM...if you are accepted and you are a URM, you are automatically eligible for it.

As far the waitlist goes, if you received an interview and were not accepted, but rejected, then ur done for good. otherwise, they will put you in a ranked waitlist.

About F.I.R.S.T, I got an e-mail inviting me to join after I was accepted and then you just send in a response form saying whether or not you'll be coming (yes, I'm a URM). I don't know whether or not the program will be immensely helpful, but I figured I'm more than happy to get any and all the help I can for succeeding in med school! :)
Also, for housing for the year, there's an information session/general "get to know you" day planned June 2nd. Anyone know if it's okay if we bring additional people to the housing session? My SO is looking for a roommate, but he's not a med student and I haven't heard anything back from the school about whether or not that'd be okay. I didn't think it'd be a big deal if he doesn't eat the food.

Anyone get anything from Financial Aid yet? I submiited my stuff in February and I still haven't heard anything yet.

I'm not a URM or a FIRST grad, but I can say that I wish I was! A number of people who were in the FIRST program were a step ahead first semester. One of my lab partners was the best dissector ever because he had been to the FIRST program and already done some of the dissections already.

MochaMD said:
Anyone get anything from Financial Aid yet? I submiited my stuff in February and I still haven't heard anything yet.

I did.. you should prob give the school a call

Hi. I'm a 4th year at NJMS. I'm looking to sell some of my 1st year books to anyone who is interested. Most are BRS review books with questions. They are great for supplementing full texts and scribe notes, especially before tests. They are also good for board review. I also have a bunch of the first aid series books and the full underground clinical vignettes. They are all in very good shape. Please feel free to email me: [email protected], for a list and prices.

Newark is Newark. Can anyone give some names & addresses and possibly mention rental prices of some of the better apartments within only a few minutes of the Medical School? Thank you in advance.

I e-mailed Heinrich a few hours ago about housing, here is what he had to say about it:

THE HOUSING WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR ENTERING STUDENTS. INFORMATION SHOULD BE AVAILABLE IN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS (INCLUDING APPLICATIONS).

WE WILL KEEP YOU POSTED!

BEST WISHES,

George F. Heinrich, M.D.
Associate Dean for Admissions and Special Programs
New Jersey Medical School
phone: 973-972-6088
fax: 973-972-7986
[email protected]

mjl1717 said:
Newark is Newark. Can anyone give some names & addresses and possibly mention rental prices of some of the better apartments within only a few minutes of the Medical School? Thank you in advance.

I assume that you dont want to live in Newark. If you plan to have a car, then you can live in Bloomfield, Montclair or Hoboken.

If you want to rely on public transportation, you want to live in Jersey City or Hoboken.

Hey guys, anyone send in their transcripts yet? Will they care about your grades as long as no C's?

if u get Cs in the sciences...they are gonna ask why u got them

anyone get their aid packages yet?

I got my financial aid package about a week ago. I think they just started looking over it now and I submitted my FAFSA stuff really early in February so that is probably why I got my package too. I would just give them a call to make sure they are not missing any documents.

MochaMD said:
I got my financial aid package about a week ago. I think they just started looking over it now and I submitted my FAFSA stuff really early in February so that is probably why I got my package too. I would just give them a call to make sure they are not missing any documents.

Hello Everyone. Congrats to all of the NJMS Class of 2010!!! Hope everything going well for you all and can't wait to meet you at the upcoming housing day. I did not receive my financial aid package yet either and I believed I had handed in all my stuff in early to mid March. However, I found out I hadn't done an entrance loan interview and they were waiting for that, so definitely call if you arent sure if you handed everything in.

is anyone else a bit outraged by the prices being published for the new umdnj apartments?

shaitahn x said:
is anyone else a bit outraged by the prices being published for the new umdnj apartments?

Absolutely. The prices are insane. I went to college in Manhattan and paid roughly the SAME prices for housing that NJMS is charging for Newark!!

Army_Doc said:
Absolutely. The prices are insane. I went to college in Manhattan and paid roughly the SAME prices for housing that NJMS is charging for Newark!!

The prices don't seem too bad. I was sort of expecting prices close to $1000 when they told use the price would be under $1000. At least the prices include furniture and free internet.

So who plans on living in the housing?

Those prices are insane. Students for the past 50 years have been going to NJMS without student housing. Come to housing day and talk to current students and find out about other cheaper options that may be just as good.

That said, the dorms seem a good option for some. Less to think about, less landlords to deal with, etc...

most of the landlords in the society hill area are pretty easy to live under. My landlord hasn't stopped by or called since we moved into the place (unless someone forgets to send in the rent check). Just take UD's advice because there will be quite a few people looking for roommates next year and you can save a few hundred a month by grabbing one of them. My recommendation would be to see the apartment/condo of anyone in society hill so you can see what it looks like. Just keep in mind that there are various types of townhomes (2BRs, 3BRs, 4BRs) and all with different benefits like garaged parking or lots.

I'm hoping for a little more discussion about housing. I have lived in California now for the last 8 years, so I'm not much at all familiar with Newark or the surrounding areas. Where do most medical students live? From this forum it sounds like they split between Newark (Society Hill area) and Hoboken/Jersey City. I remember Newark not being very nice when I last lived in Jersey, but I keep hearing about it improving. How far away are some of those other options - is that by car, bus, train? I've also heard that Hoboken has gotten pretty expensive. Living in San Francisco, the housing prices sent out seem very reasonable, but what could you expect to pay for a 1-bedroom in these areas (is NJMS housing unreasonable)? It seems like the tradeoff is convenience of living accross the street from the medical school vs. living in a safer/cheaper/more fun area. Just wondering how big these diferences are and looking for some opinions from people who know the area. Thanks a lot!

Catapult said:
I'm hoping for a little more discussion about housing. I have lived in California now for the last 8 years, so I'm not much at all familiar with Newark or the surrounding areas. Where do most medical students live? From this forum it sounds like they split between Newark (Society Hill area) and Hoboken/Jersey City. I remember Newark not being very nice when I last lived in Jersey, but I keep hearing about it improving. How far away are some of those other options - is that by car, bus, train? I've also heard that Hoboken has gotten pretty expensive. Living in San Francisco, the housing prices sent out seem very reasonable, but what could you expect to pay for a 1-bedroom in these areas (is NJMS housing unreasonable)? It seems like the tradeoff is convenience of living accross the street from the medical school vs. living in a safer/cheaper/more fun area. Just wondering how big these diferences are and looking for some opinions from people who know the area. Thanks a lot!

Well coming from california to the east coast (esp north east) will be a big change... mostly due to weather. Most medical students live in society hill and surrounding newark areas while quite a few live in bloomfield and montclair. The latter two require a 10-15min drive but they are in a more suburban area compared to the urban newark environment. Many like living outside of newark so they can "escape" and for peace.

Hoboken itself is quite expensive but there are a few apartments there that are VERY nice. In fact if you don't mind spending the money, Newport area of Jersey City is extremely beautiful and from what a friend of mine who came to school from cali said, it reminded him most of what the west coast was like. Plus newport looks over the water front and NYC so the view is AMAZING. The commute from both hoboken and jersey city/newport is about 20-25minutes.

Lastly, people also live in the Ironbound section which is the "portugese area" of newark and the prices there are slightly cheaper than society hill but its also a 5-10min drive (you could take a bus or cab to school though from ironbound)

I agree with you that there are tradeoffs between society hill and living outside of newark. The plus sides of SH is obviously the convenience of just being able to walk over but the downside is walking home at night can be scary to quite a few students. I've walked home many times but its also with people so i havent really felt scared but there are those who would rather sleep in school than walk home at night. It just depends on how scared you would be in newark. (that and getting hit up for money all the time) The plus side of living outside newark is that you AWAY from newark and have a peaceful environment. You don't have to obviously worry about safety as much there also. The downside is having to commute for 10-15minutes. Oh, and of course the cost is much cheaper living outside (get a bigger place for about the same cost as SH)

It really comes down to your own personal preference. With newark the plus is that you can catch a cab to the train station and be in NYC within 10minutes. Many find this to be quite great. Also, hoboken is a great social scene so once again, another 20min drive and you can have fun. You honestly won't know what this area is like unless you start living here but hopefully ive answered most of your questions

The school's rent is about $900s (per person) for a two bedroom place. However, if you have a car its more for parking ($800 a year), and I believe you have to pay for you own cable TV. All that for a 2 bedroom place that's about 800 square feet. I've checked out the area and I know you can find a place much larger for that price, especially if you go in with a roommate. My suggestion would be to try and meet someone who you're compatible with, and in a similar situation. The June 2nd accepted student's day would be a great time to do that. Current student's: Correct me if i'm wrong, but even at Society Hill, if you have a roommate, the prices are cheaper than the dorms.

As 4 Ever said, it all depends on how much a premium you put on living directly across from school, as opposed to a 15 minute walk or drive. And whether or not you want to live with others. Hope that helps

4 Ever said:
Well coming from california to the east coast (esp north east) will be a big change... mostly due to weather. Most medical students live in society hill and surrounding newark areas while quite a few live in bloomfield and montclair. The latter two require a 10-15min drive but they are in a more suburban area compared to the urban newark environment. Many like living outside of newark so they can "escape" and for peace.

Hoboken itself is quite expensive but there are a few apartments there that are VERY nice. In fact if you don't mind spending the money, Newport area of Jersey City is extremely beautiful and from what a friend of mine who came to school from cali said, it reminded him most of what the west coast was like. Plus newport looks over the water front and NYC so the view is AMAZING. The commute from both hoboken and jersey city/newport is about 20-25minutes.

Lastly, people also live in the Ironbound section which is the "portugese area" of newark and the prices there are slightly cheaper than society hill but its also a 5-10min drive (you could take a bus or cab to school though from ironbound)

I agree with you that there are tradeoffs between society hill and living outside of newark. The plus sides of SH is obviously the convenience of just being able to walk over but the downside is walking home at night can be scary to quite a few students. I've walked home many times but its also with people so i havent really felt scared but there are those who would rather sleep in school than walk home at night. It just depends on how scared you would be in newark. (that and getting hit up for money all the time) The plus side of living outside newark is that you AWAY from newark and have a peaceful environment. You don't have to obviously worry about safety as much there also. The downside is having to commute for 10-15minutes. Oh, and of course the cost is much cheaper living outside (get a bigger place for about the same cost as SH)

It really comes down to your own personal preference. With newark the plus is that you can catch a cab to the train station and be in NYC within 10minutes. Many find this to be quite great. Also, hoboken is a great social scene so once again, another 20min drive and you can have fun. You honestly won't know what this area is like unless you start living here but hopefully ive answered most of your questions

Thanks for the very informative post. I like city life and proximity to NY, so I am leaning towards Newark/Hoboken/Jersey City vs Bloomfield/Montclair or somewhere else more suburban.

Within Newark, what are your thoughts on the new student housing and Society Hill? It sounds like they are basically the same location. I'm travelling until the end of July, and even then, returning to SF first, so it is very tempting just to submit the housing application and be done with it! But if campus housing is much more expensive, or not that nice, then I guess I should spend a little more time looking...

Except for the hassle of the commute and the additional expense, Hoboken (and Newport/Jersey City?) sounds like the more fun and safe option. Does the drive get pretty bad around rush hour? Is parking a problem at NJMS? How much more expensive are apartments in Hoboken?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate all of your advice...

Catapult said:
Thanks for the very informative post. I like city life and proximity to NY, so I am leaning towards Newark/Hoboken/Jersey City vs Bloomfield/Montclair or somewhere else more suburban.

Within Newark, what are your thoughts on the new student housing and Society Hill? It sounds like they are basically the same location. I'm travelling until the end of July, and even then, returning to SF first, so it is very tempting just to submit the housing application and be done with it! But if campus housing is much more expensive, or not that nice, then I guess I should spend a little more time looking...

Except for the hassle of the commute and the additional expense, Hoboken (and Newport/Jersey City?) sounds like the more fun and safe option. Does the drive get pretty bad around rush hour? Is parking a problem at NJMS? How much more expensive are apartments in Hoboken?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate all of your advice...

I honestly don't know what the new housing looks like inside so I really can't say how it would compare to living in SH. The thing about SH that is nice is that i KNOW i dont need to worry about too many people being loud considering it's a townhome (though some models have a condo stacked on them - One condo taking up 2 bottom floors while another is stacked on taking floors 3 and 4). The model I am currently in has a garage spot and a driveway spot so that adds to the convenience. Also, it's more of a home like feal and doesn't feel like you're in a dorm (and thus back in undergrad). Some people don't mind the dorm like feal and some would rather stick to it so it really depends on your preference.

As for the two locations, you are correct that they are relatively in the same location. The SH area surrounding the school has security driving around all the time and many times even when I park my car in front of the house but not parked, they sometimes sit to see what is going on before driving away.

Regarding the SH areas, the apartments are pretty nice AND cheaper compared to the dorms. Prices range anywhere from 550 to a smaller BR where you share a bathroom with one other person to about 750ish with a large BR and your own full bath. I've personally kept a tabulation of how much I have spent on utilities, rent, cable, internet, phone for the past year and it comes out to be about 8500/year. Comparing that to living in one of those 3 BR apartments at 830/month and 200 for the year for electricity comes out to be about 10,100/year but this place includes having laundry on the premises so no having to worry running around finding quarters or wondering why your clothes aren't in the dryer when you left them there (and all the other problems with laundromat type systems). The place has 3BR and 2.5baths so bathrooms aren't an issue either. The ONLY problem you could say would be the 4minute door to door walk to the school. Of course if you live in a 2BR or 1BR, the cost of living may increase another 4-5000/year. It all depends on how much you are willing to dish out.

IF money is no problem and a person doesn't mind the commute, hoboken and newport area of JC is great to live in (however if you want newport, you need to get an application in now because there is a HUGEEE wait list and when you see the apartment and location, you will know why). The areas are prime for having fun after an exam and a hop skip away from NYC. The only time traffic becomes a problem is going INTO hoboken around 5pm. Newport apartments cost about 1600 for 1BR but you honestly are paying for what you are getting (view of NYC, apartment NEXT to the waterfront, a ferry that will take you into NYC, etc). Hoboken apartments may be around 1100-1600 (i really can't recall pricing in that area)

Parking shouldn't be a problem if you come in before 10am but by then the new parking deck underneath the dorms will be complete so it will alleviate the parking problem further. Add to that the fact that a new 8 or 9 story parking deck also opened up a month or so ago and parking is even less of a problem. Of course this is just speculation but it shouldn't be a problem if you go to class.

Also, Armydoc is right on all points and i agree with him wholely. Definitely go to the housing day if you can to find someone to room with and to find a place in the area. If all else fails, you can go into the dorms. Also he is right that for 800/month you can find a huge apartment in newark. So just things to consider. I would determine whether you want to commute or not worry about a commute in order to decide where to live.

A car is definitely recommended because there is no guarantee your preceptorship will be in newark (and even then, it may be a drive to get there). So keep that in mind when deciding on apartments also in case you haven't (i know of some people that didn't think of getting a car during their first year and even somehow managed the 2nd year but 95% of people need cars)