New Jersey Medical School Class of 2010 -or- hopeful :o)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
During housing day, many first year students advised us not to get the PDA until 3rd year if you're only gonna use it for your preceptorship. Many of them just jotted down all their notes on paper at their preceptorship's office and logged into the system at home.

Members don't see this ad.

Does this still hold true? Was it recommended for the class of 2009 or was it required as well and they just saw it was a stupid requirement. I will definitly wait until oreintation to find out, now its back to trying to find a cheap, yet good, laptop to buy. Trying my best to make use of the 30% off inspiron coupon.

Hey guys. I was thinking of getting a Treo smart phone from sprint. Cause the new PDA "requirement" it might be able to take of two things at once. I know Sprint is notorious for terrible reception. Anyone know what sprint service is like around campus though?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I didn't notice anyone posting about this, but maybe I skipped over it. I'm trying to fill out the online health insurance waiver but one of the required fields is the student ID number. I tried putting my social but it wouldn't accept that. We haven't gotten ID numbers yet, right? Or if we have, can someone tell me where I can find mine? I checked the links under my.umdnj.edu but I couldn't find anything besides my basic info.

Thanks and congrats to everyone who recently got off the WL. And good luck to those still waiting!

Oh one more thing -- I was also hoping the "gym" in the dorm would be open by the time we moved in. Thanks for the info though, even though it sucks :thumbdown:

try putting ur SS# without the dashes. thats what i did and it worked fine.

Thanks but I tried that. I think it said something about it having to start with a letter....

ummm, i hope i did it right lol I got a confirmation email saying they accepted it so i guess it went through.
Sorry i cant help.

With the oreintation packet we received those parking/ID forms to fill out. Does anyone know how much payment is required for those?

gotgame83 said:
Does this still hold true? Was it recommended for the class of 2009 or was it required as well and they just saw it was a stupid requirement. I will definitly wait until oreintation to find out, now its back to trying to find a cheap, yet good, laptop to buy. Trying my best to make use of the 30% off inspiron coupon.

I think they sent out that same e-mail last year saying it was required and everything but most people I've talked said it wasn't really necessary.

I didn't see anything mentioned in the orientation packet about the price of the parking tag either. Do we just send those forms in and they charge it to us during orientation? We just send in that envelope to the Student Affairs office right?

I'd hold off on buying any PDAs right now, unless you get the one that was mentioned in the email I just got.

Looks like you have to get a PocketPC-compatible PDA, as the email described a Dell product.

If you get a Palm/Handspring-compatible one (like the Treos, I think), you may be out of luck. and a lot of money.

say what said:
Hi everyone,

I didn't notice anyone posting about this, but maybe I skipped over it. I'm trying to fill out the online health insurance waiver but one of the required fields is the student ID number. I tried putting my social but it wouldn't accept that. We haven't gotten ID numbers yet, right? Or if we have, can someone tell me where I can find mine? I checked the links under my.umdnj.edu but I couldn't find anything besides my basic info.

Thanks and congrats to everyone who recently got off the WL. And good luck to those still waiting!

Oh one more thing -- I was also hoping the "gym" in the dorm would be open by the time we moved in. Thanks for the info though, even though it sucks :thumbdown:

the gym will not be close to open when we move in, they haven't even found a bidder to build it yet. i wouldn't be surprised if it takes til next summer.

for parking, it's 150$ for the year for a tag, and 800$ for a reserved parking spot

say what said:
Thanks but I tried that. I think it said something about it having to start with a letter....

I discovered my ID#...

If you have your UMDNJ account thing activated, you can look it up under 'University-wide Toolbox' in the box on the left side of the screen.

I swear... figuring this stuff out is like playing Myst or something...

fhayashi said:
I discovered my ID#...

If you have your UMDNJ account thing activated, you can look it up under 'University-wide Toolbox' in the box on the left side of the screen.

i hated myst... i'm more of a monkey island man myself. i wish figuring it out was like monkey island.

fhayashi said:
I discovered my ID#...

Thanks, I found it....I thought I looked through the whole account site but I guess I missed that. You're right, most of the NJMS website and account stuff isn't very well organized.

edit: Speaking of which, I still haven't gotten this orientation package/parking/ID application mail that everyone else seems to have gotten, even though I got my housing assignment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did everyone return there physical/immunization forms yet? I have been trying to but it took a lil bit of effort to get my body immune to hep B, but finally im immune!! BUT my docs office did a qualitative not quantitative test so looks like more blood for me lol

fhayashi said:
I'd hold off on buying any PDAs right now, unless you get the one that was mentioned in the email I just got.

Looks like you have to get a PocketPC-compatible PDA, as the email described a Dell product.

If you get a Palm/Handspring-compatible one (like the Treos, I think), you may be out of luck. and a lot of money.

I called the IT help guy at the company that makes Meditrek, the system we're supposed to use with our PDAs. He told me that its compatable with both the Palm operating system and PocketPC (windows). So if you have a Treo, you're still okay. Blackberry, however, won't work.

gotgame83 said:
Did everyone return there physical/immunization forms yet? I have been trying to but it took a lil bit of effort to get my body immune to hep B, but finally im immune!! BUT my docs office did a qualitative not quantitative test so looks like more blood for me lol

They're really anal about this stuff. I've already had 2 altercations with the nurse there. Finally got in finished TODAY!

In terms of the PDA thing. According to the NJMS website:

FAQ's

1. What is Meditrek? Why is it necessary?

As part of LCME, the medical school is required to document the clinical experiences that their students have when on their various rotations throughout their four years. The purpose of this is to ensure that students are seeing an assortment of patients and that all students are getting roughly the same diversity of experiences. NJMS has contracted with HSoft, a third-party vendor, to develop an electronic log system to record, summarize and report on all students' clinical experiences. The patient encounter information can be entered via web-based forms or on a (PDA) and sync'd with a central server.

If you can enter the info online later, the PDA requirement just seems like a $400 notebook and pen. I don't buy that crap about "being more accurate" if done immediately. If you really can't take good notes just print the Meditrek "web based forms", tape it to a index card, fill in the blanks. If anyone gives you **** about it, tell them that's your PDA.

I guess later on you can put drug references, etc on a PDA. But by the time I need it (3rd year, or so?) I think i'll be able to get a much nicer/faster one for that price.

For just logging info, I don't see the need for a brand new pda, this thing sounds like a glorified text editor. You could just as easily get away with buying one on ebay for less than a hundo. I'll be using an ancient pda i used through undergrad that I'm sure will be more than adequate. Of course once 3rd year rolls arround something with a little more horepower will probably be more appropriate.

Welcome to all your 1st years. I remember reading SDN some time last year fishing for any drop of information so feel free to ask anything you guys might be thinking about.

I just skimmed through a couple of posts and you guys are stressing way too much about PDAs and Meditrek . Its just some pointless data entry stuff you can do through any browser. The physicians core class recommends a ridiculous amount of unneccesary and costly equipment and you dont need much except a decent stethoscope for the whole year.

General_Tso said:
Welcome to all your 1st years. I remember reading SDN some time last year fishing for any drop of information so feel free to ask anything you guys might be thinking about.

I just skimmed through a couple of posts and you guys are stressing way too much about PDAs and Meditrek . Its just some pointless data entry stuff you can do through any browser. The physicians core class recommends a ridiculous amount of unneccesary and costly equipment and you dont need much except a decent stethoscope for the whole year.

yeah my palm pilot will consist of a pen, and my palm.

General_Tso said:

however, if u have some anal small groups leader he/she will check ALL ur equipment and deduct pnts for not having it....

mine was cool....although i did buy all the equip listed....

Just so u guys know, we DO NOT mail in the ID and Parking stuff. I called the office today and she said that she has been getting a lot of phone calls about this and that we just fill it out and bring it with us when we get there.

Thanks GAME.. I was just about to PM you about that.......lol.....

Army_Doc said:
Hey guys. I was thinking of getting a Treo smart phone from sprint. Cause the new PDA "requirement" it might be able to take of two things at once. I know Sprint is notorious for terrible reception. Anyone know what sprint service is like around campus though?

My Sprint reception has been great around the school and it's a heck of a lot better than my fiancee's Cingular reception.

Hey guys...cingular fone service is crap around Newark and New York City...I wholeheartedly recommend Verizon

The coverage is so dense here, ANY phone service will be fine in the Newark/New York area. As a side note, I'll never get ppl's undying loyalty to their phone service. Everyone thinks their service is the best. It's quite funny really.

sooo...

Where are all the first-years gonna hang out and drink beer and get to know each other?

I think theres some happy hour or get together on Aug 10 at the Dubliner in Hoboken...it was in the orientation packet

ChuckRock said:
The coverage is so dense here, ANY phone service will be fine in the Newark/New York area. As a side note, I'll never get ppl's undying loyalty to their phone service. Everyone thinks their service is the best. It's quite funny really.

It might seem that way, but what is really going on is that people stick with what they found worked the best so that's why they are happy with it. Much like people's choice in cars. Really, shrugging it off as company loyalty just cheapens the advice that people try and give. I have a fiancee, best friend, brother, and father that hate their service and service provider (cingular, all of them) but are stuck in their current contract for now.

I had AT&T before they sold their operation and not only was their coverage pretty g0d d@mned limited, but they pulled some bull**** with my bill and it wound up being $800 one month. I got them to drop the bill, but after that, I switched to Sprint and have not had any trouble with their service or reception. The problem with them now is that they're aren't that many Sprint stores in the area. It seems like Vonage is trying to make a run at undercutting the cell phone market, and if they do, I'd switch in a heart-beat.

ChuckRock said:

I'd check out the reception of each carrier INSIDE the buildings before I'd pick a carrier.

Anyone know for sure which carriers work inside?

fhayashi said:
I'd check out the reception of each carrier INSIDE the buildings before I'd pick a carrier.

Anyone know for sure which carriers work inside?

I have Verizon, have been in some of the buildings with it, works.

No trucks allowed on the parkway north of exit 105?! What kinda crap is that. Apparently trucks over 7000lbs arent allowed, just a heads up to anyone(me) who planned on using the GSP with a moving truck.

Has anyone heard of someone transferring into NJMS after first or second year? Also, if you have, what was their reason? Thanks and sorry for interrupting the thread with this random question....just wasn't sure whereelse to post...

thegingerbreadm said:
Has anyone heard of someone transferring into NJMS after first or second year? Also, if you have, what was their reason? Thanks and sorry for interrupting the thread with this random question....just wasn't sure whereelse to post...

I can't tell you if they allow transfers to NJMS (never had a reason to check), but I know that having a fiancee or a sick family member in the area is the best way to secure a transfer to most med schools.

any continuing students moving into the dorms? I was told that there are different move in dates for incoming students and the continuing ones which somewhat doesn't make sense if they charge the same in rent but force one group to move in late.

Hello everyone, I must be the last one to join this thread and the class for that matter :) I received the phone call last Thursday night and I will be joing you for the class of 2010!!! As for housing, I was told we could move in this Tuesday-no earlier. I will be in Newark on Monday, running around trying to establish in-state residency (from CT), so wish me luck! My last day of work is Saturday and I can't wait to leave and move on to my future!!
See all of you soon,
Priscilla

Congrats!!

Im moving in 2morrow afternoon to my place, if anyone is in town send me a PM because im sure I can only drive around south orange so many times from saturday-wednesday before it gets boring.

pmasque said:
Hello everyone, I must be the last one to join this thread and the class for that matter :) I received the phone call last Thursday night and I will be joing you for the class of 2010!!! As for housing, I was told we could move in this Tuesday-no earlier. I will be in Newark on Monday, running around trying to establish in-state residency (from CT), so wish me luck! My last day of work is Saturday and I can't wait to leave and move on to my future!!
See all of you soon,
Priscilla

congratulations on your acceptance :)

what are the odds that spots will open up between now and the first day of school??? i'm still waiting :-/

persianrug said:
congratulations on your acceptance :)

what are the odds that spots will open up between now and the first day of school??? i'm still waiting :-/

not to discourage, but doesn't seem to likely--Dr. Heinrich even said i'm probably the last person to be contacted
(i'd like to think they've saved the best for last, but i'm not full of myself :laugh: ).
i'll cross my fingers for you in hopes that someone else decides to withdraw quickly!

pmasque said:
not to discourage, but doesn't seem to likely--Dr. Heinrich even said i'm probably the last person to be contacted
(i'd like to think they've saved the best for last, but i'm not full of myself :laugh: ).
i'll cross my fingers for you in hopes that someone else decides to withdraw quickly!

thank you!

Hi Everyone,

I was just curious, was there another accepted students luncheon back in January? Who was that for, people accepted before January only? just for early decision students?

Also, did anyone get a humanism scholarship from NJMS?

Hi! I hope my question isn't too out of place but I am applying for class of 2011 and am filling out the secondary application. Not being a Jersey resident and having never been to the school, I am stuck! Could anyone give me some insight about the school and what encouraged you to apply and then accept? From what I know, the school is in a so-so area, but the students are super friendly and not competitive with eachother. The web site doesn't give much info. In general, I would like to stay in the North East and Jersey hospitals have great reps.

Thanks!!! :D

I chose NJMS cuz of the following reasons:

1. cheap tuition
2. awesome clinical experience...starting with first year u start seeing patients in the outpatient setting...very few med schools in the country allow you to do that
3. brand new dorms...the dorms are like a friggin 5 star hotel..they are expensive, but I couldnt ask for more. They come with 24/7 security, cable, internet, phone, all furniture, dishwasher, microwave, fridge etc all included...you only pay the bill for power and ofcourse the rent. First year students are always given priority in choosing the apts...in fact this year 100 of the 170 students of the first year class are living in the dorms most of them in single bedroom apts or studios...and theres a bridge like thing that connects the med school building with the dorms...so you dont hafta step out. They also offer guaranteed parking for your car..but thats expensive.
4. friendly admin...go to other schools and the admin is never friendly with the students...here we are considered "family"
5. awesome anatomy dept...we have perhaps some of the best anatomy instructors in the country
6. excellent teaching hospitals...you will be doing rotations at University Hospital (the state's most busiest trauma center), Hackensack and Morristown to name a few
7. want a social life?...no problem...Hoboken and New York City are less than 20 min away
8. above all the schoo has an excellent Match record

if you have any questions...PM me

Good Luck