New Jersey Medical School Class of 2010 -or- hopeful :o)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone hear anything tonight?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone that went to the accepted students lunch share their experiences? Was anything important said during the lunch? I got accepted to njms but was not able to attend the lunch.

Members don't see this ad :)
jc582 said:
Can anyone that went to the accepted students lunch share their experiences? Was anything important said during the lunch? I got accepted to njms but was not able to attend the lunch.

were u accepted today by any chance?

gotgame83 said:
bump this up

why is this thread in the med student forum? The class of 2010 are not med students yet... hello mods?

thats weird ....there is already an official NJMS thread at the bottom of this forumm....they need to relocate this thread to pre-allo

Yes, I was searching the pre-allo forum for it and couldnt find it. I finally just did a search and much to my surprise it was moved here...

I went to the luncheon.

1. The new Dean of the NJMS gave a short speech.
2. There was some good food served, with lots of cookies on the table.
3. They gave out free NJMS T-shirts, key chains, mugs and pens.
4. They took us on a visit to the Clinical Skillz Center
5. The Dean of Admissions talked about the Federal Investigations into the university and how it would NOT affect the students.
6. Many students had multiple acceptances and didnt make up thier minds if they were gonna matriculate there.

Last edited:

Last edited:
If we underdogs get in, we need to have some seriously unforgettable (or depending on how drunk, completely forgettable) celebration.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
roca88 said:
has anybody else been lied to by these people? every time i've called the admissions office or talked to one of the big wig deans, they've lied. they've given timetables, suggested i'd receive this or that, told me to wait "1-2 more weeks, just 1-2 more weeks" every week for the last 5 weeks now. seriously, they've got major problems and they're just making a bunch of people angry at this point.

yeah, once i get in or not, ill let u know a few of the things they told me as well

Hey all,

Has anyone heard anything from NJMS lately? Did anyone get accepted or have any updates at all?

This waiting should definitely be considered a form of torture. :thumbdown: :confused:

Last edited:

Last edited:
roca88 said:
updates??? anybody call them or hear anything about what's going on?

I can sense your frustration, and I completely agree. I'm not sure if its a matter of nobody posting anything, or just a lack of news/updates in general from NJMS. My guess is that there are many others waiting like us. But please, if anyone knows anything...please post!!! :confused:

Anyone? Anyone???? Bueller.....Bueller????? :(

Called again today to check my status (interviewed 12/1). I got to hear "Didn't you get that letter we sent on Dec 30?" Um, no. Must have been lost on the arduous 4 mile mail route from Newark to my home. "You've been placed on the alternate list." So, I wouldn't expect a swift, definitive answer at this point, as it seems they're having some complications.

Does anyone know when the committee meets?

ASDIC said:
thats weird ....there is already an official NJMS thread at the bottom of this forumm....they need to relocate this thread to pre-allo

I think they tried to put all the C/O of so and so year threads here in this subforum of the allo part because these are accepted students so it was appropriate for the allo section. I guess, they saw it was cluttering up preallo last year so they started doing this. They did the same for other C/O 2010 and 2009 threads as well in the past.

gujuDoc said:
I think they tried to put all the C/O of so and so year threads here in this subforum of the allo part because these are accepted students so it was appropriate for the allo section. I guess, they saw it was cluttering up preallo last year so they started doing this. They did the same for other C/O 2010 and 2009 threads as well in the past.

well they certainly managed to kill the thread, regardless.

First, good luck to everyone who's still waiting to hear. Hopefully Dr. H will be making some calls this weekend!

Next, for those who attended the luncheon, what did everyone think? How many people are definitely going to NJMS? I just wish we had more time to meet more of our potential classmates!

Last edited:
I wrote that not because I have any knowledge on when njms will be notifying of decisions, but because Dr. H normally calls on Sunday nights it seems and since it's been awhile since they have notified anyone, I thought since it's getting to the end of the month maybe there'd be some word. I hope you hear good news soon Roca.

scneuro said:
I wrote that not because I have any knowledge on when njms will be notifying of decisions, but because Dr. H normally calls on Sunday nights it seems and since it's been awhile since they have notified anyone, I thought since it's getting to the end of the month maybe there'd be some word. I hope you hear good news soon Roca.
Hey guys, just wanted to give you a little update since no one has really said much in the way of communication with the school. I received a letter in the mail this past Saturday - it seems that I have been placed on the "alternate list." It reads, "Beginning on June 1, 2006 the Admissions Committee will review your file. If there is any change in your status, you will be notified immediately....When students who have already been accepted decide to withdraw, we will refer to the alternate list and offer acceptances to the top students on that list. Please be advised that the alternate list will not be reviewed until after June 1, 2006, therefore no information regarding your status will be available until then."

So, for me...not a rejection, but still very discouraging - it truly is frustrating to know that I'll have to wait until June. But, I wanted to post to so that you guys knew that the adcom was still alive. I'm not sure if this means that everyone who is waiting is going to be put on this alternate list, because I did hear that rumor at one point. I doubt that to be the case; I'm sure that it only applies to me (and the others that are waitlisted). Well, best of luck to everyone - I hope to see you there this fall; keeping my fingers crossed.

pizan0 said:
Hey guys, just wanted to give you a little update since no one has really said much in the way of communication with the school. I received a letter in the mail this past Saturday - it seems that I have been placed on the "alternate list." It reads, "Beginning on June 1, 2006 the Admissions Committee will review your file. If there is any change in your status, you will be notified immediately....When students who have already been accepted decide to withdraw, we will refer to the alternate list and offer acceptances to the top students on that list. Please be advised that the alternate list will not be reviewed until after June 1, 2006, therefore no information regarding your status will be available until then."

So, for me...not a rejection, but still very discouraging - it truly is frustrating to know that I'll have to wait until June. But, I wanted to post to so that you guys knew that the adcom was still alive. I'm not sure if this means that everyone who is waiting is going to be put on this alternate list, because I did hear that rumor at one point. I doubt that to be the case; I'm sure that it only applies to me (and the others that are waitlisted). Well, best of luck to everyone - I hope to see you there this fall; keeping my fingers crossed.

Hey Pizano,

I was put on the alternate list last year, and did not get in. I spoke to Heinrich in person this past August, and one of his major gripes was that I did not maintain communication with him or the school while I was on the waitlist. I would recommend a regular campaign (twice a month, say) of calling, emailing, and occasional letter writing - though I would probably wait until the adcom is a little less busy, say, toward the end of February. This was a big mistake I made, so this is your warning lest you repeat it.

I am still waiting to hear this year.

good luck.

femmedargent said:
Hey Pizano,

I was put on the alternate list last year, and did not get in. I spoke to Heinrich in person this past August, and one of his major gripes was that I did not maintain communication with him or the school while I was on the waitlist. I would recommend a regular campaign (twice a month, say) of calling, emailing, and occasional letter writing - though I would probably wait until the adcom is a little less busy, say, toward the end of February. This was a big mistake I made, so this is your warning lest you repeat it.

I am still waiting to hear this year.

good luck.

Hey femmedargent,

Thanks for the advice. I completely agree with you about maintaining communication. At this point, its all that I have left - and I will continue to make myself known because I truly want to go to this school. Do you really think I should wait a little while before that? Also, what do you mean by calling? Should I call Dean Heinrich himself? What types of things should I be letting him know? What do you think is not worthwhile?

Although I was very discouraged by the alternate list news, I am still 'alive,' and I won't give up until they tell me I'm out. Thanks again for your help! :thumbup:

Being as this is my second time on the waitlist, I was wondering if anyone interviewed is ever outright rejected. Are all interviewees either accepted o waitlisted? In other words, is their waitlist status some kind of a "soft" rejection?

Im not sure about how the waitlist works but i have a meeting with Dean Heinrich on Feb 9th and I will be sure to ask as many questions pertaining to the structure of it as possible.

pizan0 said:
Hey femmedargent,

Thanks for the advice. I completely agree with you about maintaining communication. At this point, its all that I have left - and I will continue to make myself known because I truly want to go to this school. Do you really think I should wait a little while before that? Also, what do you mean by calling? Should I call Dean Heinrich himself? What types of things should I be letting him know? What do you think is not worthwhile?

Although I was very discouraged by the alternate list news, I am still 'alive,' and I won't give up until they tell me I'm out. Thanks again for your help! :thumbup:

pizano,

While I certainly cannot speak with any authority, I just suggested waiting a few weeks because the Adcom/Heinrich is really busy, and they are seriously behind on evaluating applications (I've been told.). But it's completely up to you, perhaps if you want to contact them now call the main office and try to set up a meeting with someone, most likely heinrich.
As for contacting them, emailing Heinrich is probably a good starting point, from there he may want to set up a meeting with him directly.

Also, the admissions office may be able to tell you what "tier" you are on the waitlist (top middle bottom)- this is a good indicator for your chances. Last year I was in the "middle" and did not get in, but I also did not keep in touch with them, and probably missed some chances to move myself up on the list.

best of luck to the both of us, and hopefully I'll see you in class in a few months mate.

cheers

femmedargent said:
pizano,

While I certainly cannot speak with any authority, I just suggested waiting a few weeks because the Adcom/Heinrich is really busy, and they are seriously behind on evaluating applications (I've been told.). But it's completely up to you, perhaps if you want to contact them now call the main office and try to set up a meeting with someone, most likely heinrich.
As for contacting them, emailing Heinrich is probably a good starting point, from there he may want to set up a meeting with him directly.

Also, the admissions office may be able to tell you what "tier" you are on the waitlist (top middle bottom)- this is a good indicator for your chances. Last year I was in the "middle" and did not get in, but I also did not keep in touch with them, and probably missed some chances to move myself up on the list.

best of luck to the both of us, and hopefully I'll see you in class in a few months mate.

cheers
femmedargent,

I appreciate your post. I have been thinking about how I will go about keeping myself updated and keeping contact with the committee - you have definitely helped me consider a few ways in doing that, and I thank you for it.
I will be doing my best to keep this contact with the school, and Dean Heinrich himself. I wouldn't want to bother him considering that the adcom is probably very busy right now - but I will likely set up a meeting with him so that he can put a face to the name. At the same time, he can learn more about me, and I hopefully learn a bit more about my chances and what I can do from here on out.
As you already know, its very frustrating because even if you are considered "top tier," there still are no guarantees. We can only try and hope for the best.

But again, thanks for your suggestions. Best of luck to you - hope to see you there in a few months as well.

Last edited:
roca88 said:
hey does anybody know if they're still giving acceptances? anybody with any inside info. like that? it seems like they've kept a few of us on hold and haven't given a definite reason post-interview--withOUT waitlisting or rejecting. anybody know anything?

i just got the call tonight... i was told that there were only a couple of spots left in this round, so i dont know how many more acceptances to go around.

best of luck to everyone who is waiting...

Wait.. so you go accepted tonight??!!

gotgame83 said:
Wait.. so you go accepted tonight??!!

yeah, i posted the 'underdog' thread on pre-allo.

good luck man... i know how terrible this shlt is, just remember that victory is inevitable.

femmedargent said:
yeah, i posted the 'underdog' thread on pre-allo.

good luck man... i know how terrible this shlt is, just remember that victory is inevitable.

Congrats femmedargent and welcome to the class! I hope you hear good news soon Roca and the rest of you waiting.

hello,

about 2 weeks ago, i got a letter from njms letting me know that i was put on an alternative list.

NJMS is one of my few top choices and i was wondering if anyone knows what my odds of actually getting in are.... from the other post it seems that no one has a real %

I like the idea of communication, but I am an out of state applicant.
No meeting for me I guess.

Are anyone's parents or family going to the open house event in March? My family got the letter today.

Well i met with Dean Heinrich today and he said that only a few more spots are currently available and they have not had any new acceptances in the last 6 weeks. He also said that last year there were VERY few people admitted off the waitlist and that happened 3 weeks before classes started. He said the waitlist comes in clusters and that they only kinda rank the top cluster but to expect little waitlist movement. My file hasnt been reviewed yet (interview was Jan 18th) but he said i should expect to be reviewed in about a week...

Oh yea and parking was horrendous. I spent 45minutes looking for a spot to no avail. I called Ms. White and told her and she told me to go get valet and they would validate it. Then the security guard wouldnt let me get from the hospital to the med school lol. So after it was all said and done i was only 15minutes late lol

gotgame83 said:
Well i met with Dean Heinrich today and he said that only a few more spots are currently available and they have not had any new acceptances in the last 6 weeks. He also said that last year there were VERY few people admitted off the waitlist and that happened 3 weeks before classes started. He said the waitlist comes in clusters and that they only kinda rank the top cluster but to expect little waitlist movement. My file hasnt been reviewed yet (interview was Jan 18th) but he said i should expect to be reviewed in about a week...

Thanks for updating us. I do not think I will get off the NJMS waitlist, so im looking for apartments in in NB for RWJ... oh well! Good luck! I hope you get in!

u know spots will open up when ppl starting choosing other schools...it all depends how many ppl choose other schools and drop njms

Last edited:
Im not sure why he said that but maybe he meant that there werent any NEW acceptances in the last 6 weeks meaning that the adcom met and decided to admit this person. Maybe the fate of the people accepted had been decided more then 6 weeks ago but only notified recently...

gotgame83 said:
Im not sure why he said that but maybe he meant that there werent any NEW acceptances in the last 6 weeks meaning that the adcom met and decided to admit this person. Maybe the fate of the people accepted had been decided more then 6 weeks ago but only notified recently...
ya i think this is the case.

Maybe DRGUY can answer this, but do you need to include your parent's tax info. for FAFSA at NJMS? I'm trying to take care of this, but I can't get an answer. Thanks!

scneuro said:
Maybe DRGUY can answer this, but do you need to include your parent's tax info. for FAFSA at NJMS? I'm trying to take care of this, but I can't get an answer. Thanks!

I dont think you have to include parental information for any school really. You are considered an independent for graduate studies.