New Jersey Medical School Class of 2010 -or- hopeful :o)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluefirefliez

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post if NJMS is your top choice, or if you're in the Class of 2010.

Members don't see this ad.

bluefirefliez said:
NJMS is my first choice, but I'm waiting for my August MCAT scores before my file can be considered complete.

Post if NJMS is your first choice, or if you're in the Class of 2010. Hopefully I'll be joining you in 2006 :)

Yes it is definitely one of my top choices but sadly, even with an April MCAT score I still do not have an interview.

Nice GPA though ;)

It's upthere for me

The admissions dean works real late homies
I can't wait to be complete there

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Hang in there. I think the hardest part about applying is waiting.

Do you guys think I should e-mail the dean? I mean I know I am complete, but im so impatient. I got interviews at other state schools, and nothing my own state. Very sad. :(

beponychick said:
Do you guys think I should e-mail the dean? I mean I know I am complete, but im so impatient. I got interviews at other state schools, and nothing my own state. Very sad. :(

hi beponychick

what are your stats and when were you complete?

medhacker said:
hi beponychick

what are your stats and when were you complete?

I was complete a long time ago.

Stats are average, 3.5, 28 but I have a 4.0 in graduate courses (doing a masters). Went to Ivy (although that matters for absolutely nothing!) :rolleyes:

Both of you got great stats

you should be hearing something soon

do you guys also have strong ECs?

NJMS is definitely my first choice for many reasons. I interviewed the last Monday of August and have to wait till October 15th for a decision. I'm in my fourth year at Rutgers-New Brunswick and don't have stellar stats.(3.76 gpa, 30P MCAT)

good luck guys...i got in and its a great school :D

knight12 said:
NJMS is definitely my first choice for many reasons. I interviewed the last Monday of August and have to wait till October 15th for a decision. I'm in my fourth year at Rutgers-New Brunswick and don't have stellar stats.(3.76 gpa, 30P MCAT)

you applied EDP?

beponychick said:
you applied EDP?

NJMS is definitely high on my list. I absolutely loved it when I interviewed! Everyone involved w/the program seemed great and the students were super friendly. I hope to be receiving good news in the near future. Bepony, I'm sure you'll get the invite soon! I'm giving you and the rest on the thread positive thoughts :)

Members don't see this ad :)
no...I applied MD/MBA...its a 5 yr program with the first year being the MBA :)

scneuro said:
NJMS is definitely high on my list. I absolutely loved it when I interviewed! Everyone involved w/the program seemed great and the students were super friendly. I hope to be receiving good news in the near future. Bepony, I'm sure you'll get the invite soon! I'm giving you and the rest on the thread positive thoughts :)

Thank you! :D :luck: :luck: :luck:

I applied there. Where did you guys do your undergrad; I was at NJIT, so I was right next door to UMDNJ, and have done some things over there, know a couple people over there ;) I was told by a member of the admissions committee that you need at least a 27 for them to even look at your application.

PlasticMan

PlasticMan said:
I applied there. Where did you guys do your undergrad; I was at NJIT, so I was right next door to UMDNJ, and have done some things over there, know a couple people over there ;) I was told by a member of the admissions committee that you need at least a 27 for them to even look at your application.

PlasticMan

Did you hear anything from them? I went to UPenn.

beponychick said:
Did you hear anything from them? I went to UPenn.

I just applied 2 weeks ago; took MCAT in August. I got their secondary last week, but that's about it. Just waiting on mcat scores... For the class of 2010 hopefuls, there is good news and bad news. The good news is that they will have their student apartment building completed in time for next fall and you can get your hands on a nice new place to stay; the bad news is you'd have to live in Newark then :scared: It'd be nice to live right next to the school; however, it'd also be nice to be able to drive home to the relaxing suburbs each night. I live about 15-20 minutes from UMDNJ right now. I went to school in Newark for the past 5 years; a word to the wise don't walk off campus at night, and don't park on the street if at all possible. Also, if you're gonna be riding the newark city subway, learn which days not to wear certain gang colors. It's not that bad, Newark is getting better, but ya still need to watchout. One of the NJIT parking lots was a couple blocks from the school and across from a "projects" type of housing :scared:

PlasticMan

PlasticMan said:
I just applied 2 weeks ago; took MCAT in August. I got their secondary last week, but that's about it. Just waiting on mcat scores... For the class of 2010 hopefuls, there is good news and bad news. The good news is that they will have their student apartment building completed in time for next fall and you can get your hands on a nice new place to stay; the bad news is you'd have to live in Newark then :scared: It'd be nice to live right next to the school; however, it'd also be nice to be able to drive home to the relaxing suburbs each night. I live about 15-20 minutes from UMDNJ right now. I went to school in Newark for the past 5 years; a word to the wise don't walk off campus at night, and don't park on the street if at all possible. Also, if you're gonna be riding the newark city subway, learn which days not to wear certain gang colors. It's not that bad, Newark is getting better, but ya still need to watchout. One of the NJIT parking lots was a couple blocks from the school and across from a "projects" type of housing :scared:

PlasticMan

I currently live in Newark, and it is definitely not as bad as people say it is. I live in the downtown area and I hardly see anyone on the streets at night. However, it is not wise to park your car out on the street (as plasticman said). I had my car broken into 2 times within a three month period. Definitely sucks to be replacing windows all the time. Now I park in a 24 hour lot, which is expensive but worth it.

don't get shot.

newark isnt as bad as people complain...the city closes at night like around 8pm....in fact bars and restuarants in newark close at 8 PM with happy hours starting at 4 PM. the streets are deserted at night with police patrolling them. i would advise people to walk in groups preferably like 4 people outside of the campus.

parkingwise, the umdnj dorms will have a parking garage attached to it, so it shud be safe. but many NJMS students have told me that people have their cars stolen and broken into when parked in the regular lots.

I am not sure if I will need a car...so I will probably rely on public transportation

beponychick said:
I currently live in Newark, and it is definitely not as bad as people say it is. I live in the downtown area and I hardly see anyone on the streets at night. However, it is not wise to park your car out on the street (as plasticman said). I had my car broken into 2 times within a three month period. Definitely sucks to be replacing windows all the time. Now I park in a 24 hour lot, which is expensive but worth it.

Yeah definitely. It used to be ALOT worse; like I said, it is getting better. In the NJIT blotter you see multiple auto thefts/break-ins listed every week. Maybe in the downtown area there are not many people around at night, b/c it's all businesses and everyone goes home at 5; however UMDNJ and NJIT are right in the middle of a residential area, and mostly low income housing at that. I would be very careful walking off the campus at night. In the blocks around UMDNJ and NJIT, I've seen plenty of people on the streets at night, and not the kind you want to run into. No one should be afraid to go to school there, but also don't be naieve; be aware of your surroundings.

PlasticMan

ASDIC said:
in fact bars and restuarants in newark close at 8 PM with happy hours starting at 4 PM.
What part of town is this? I've been in bars/restaurants in Newark well into the night.

PlasticMan

downtown area actually and some bars and restuarants outside of the Rutgers campus

ASDIC said:
downtown area actually and some bars and restuarants outside of the Rutgers campus

heehee, planet wings is open 7 days a week until 10pm every night! :p

well i dont like thier food...so i wouldnt go there anyway... :D

PlasticMan said:

PlasticMan
That's interesting... mdapplicants shows abpu 10 people interviewed there with MCATS lowere than 26 and 4 accepted below 26 as well.

medhacker said:
That's interesting... mdapplicants shows abpu 10 people interviewed there with MCATS lowere than 26 and 4 accepted below 26 as well.

:confused: That's what someone that I know there at the admissions committee told me. Maybe he meant I need to get at least a 27 to be competitive there? On a different note, just curious, were those with the low mcat's nj residents?

PlasticMan

beponychick said:
heehee, planet wings is open 7 days a week until 10pm every night! :p

BTW, if you haven't tried it out yet, the Portugeuse food in the iron bound is great! At Iberia, it can be relatively reasonable if you go with a group and order a large dish. I think the Paella is around $35 and can feed about 5-6 easily.

PlasticMan

PlasticMan said:
BTW, if you haven't tried it out yet, the Portugeuse food in the iron bound is great! At Iberia, it can be relatively reasonable if you go with a group and order a large dish. I think the Paella is around $35 and can feed about 5-6 easily.

PlasticMan

No I havent been there but I did hear that Iberia is great! I work in NYC and usually dont get home until 11pm each night so I havent really gotten a chance to explore. Do you know of the new 27 bar on Halsey? I want to check it out. Seems very cool.

PlasticMan said:
:confused: That's what someone that I know there at the admissions committee told me. Maybe he meant I need to get at least a 27 to be competitive there? On a different note, just curious, were those with the low mcat's nj residents?

PlasticMan

Nope, not one of them

i also applied to umdnj and would like to know how much of a disadvantage it is to apply from out-of-state there. does anybody know? and i do not have stellar stats either, very average-borderline below-average(for sdn standards.)

i'm wondering if i wasted my time and money applying there...

bubbleyum said:
i also applied to umdnj and would like to know how much of a disadvantage it is to apply from out-of-state there. does anybody know? and i do not have stellar stats either, very average-borderline below-average(for sdn standards.)

i'm wondering if i wasted my time and money applying there...

I know they do give some preference to NJ residents, plus I think it may help a bit if you did undergrad at one of their closely affiliated schools such as Rutgers or NJIT. Does anyone have the U.S. News Ultimate Guide To Medical Schools and can post up the exact numbers of in state / out of state applicants/acceptances? I know it's in there, but my friend is borrowing my copy.

PlasticMan

beponychick said:
No I havent been there but I did hear that Iberia is great! I work in NYC and usually dont get home until 11pm each night so I havent really gotten a chance to explore. Do you know of the new 27 bar on Halsey? I want to check it out. Seems very cool.

Ibiera is open pretty late; 11pm might not be too late to grab a bite to eat there. :)

Sorry, haven't heard anything about the new 27 bar.

PlasticMan

PlasticMan said:
Ibiera is open pretty late; 11pm might not be too late to grab a bite to eat there. :)

Sorry, haven't heard anything about the new 27 bar.

PlasticMan

So how many of you guys have applied and what step are you at?

The best way to get in is to become buddies with Dr. Heinrich. He loves students that e-mail, call, visit, and just overall show extreme interest in the school. He is very receptive to applicants. Although I ultimately decided not to attend NJMS, I received an early acceptance and a lot of scholarship money. I think a lot of that was attributed to the fact that Heinrich was my boy. Oh yea, it also helps to have decent stats (esp if you want some money)

blz said:
The best way to get in is to become buddies with Dr. Heinrich. He loves students that e-mail, call, visit, and just overall show extreme interest in the school. He is very receptive to applicants. Although I ultimately decided not to attend NJMS, I received an early acceptance and a lot of scholarship money. I think a lot of that was attributed to the fact that Heinrich was my boy. Oh yea, it also helps to have decent stats (esp if you want some money)

I have been complete there for some time and still no word. do you think i should e-mail him? I just dont know what else I can say. I expressed interest in the school before and nothing is really new since then. sigh. :-(

beponychick said:
I have been complete there for some time and still no word. do you think i should e-mail him? I just dont know what else I can say. I expressed interest in the school before and nothing is really new since then. sigh. :-(

What is your guys opinion on letters of interest? My advisor said that you should not send one unless you've been waitlisted. What are your thoughts? I'd really like to go to NJMS

Last edited:
roca88 said:
Hey all

I just scheduled my NJMS interview today, which is my first. Anybody else there November 1 (at 2 PM)?

Has anybody interviewed there so far this year that would like to talk about how it was? How long does it take? Also how is the MD/PhD interview for anybody that knows?

-roca88

MD/PhD: You'll have one interview for the MD and about 3-4 for the PhD. THe program director is very nice. Be prepared to talk about your research and be yourself. IT wasn't stressful, very conversational. I loved it! The day is somewhat long 9-3 for me.

Hello! I just received my interview invite for NJMS today - and I was so excited until it sounds like I am going to get shot there.
Seriously, how bad is it? I am comfortable around some of the supposedly "bad" parts of LA (East LA, South Central), how would it compare??

i completed early sept, scheduled interview today for 10/25.

waitlisted and rejected last year. very impt to maintain contact w/heinrich. he lambasted me for not expressing enough interest and commitment to the school while i was on the waitlist.

have 3.15 from a hardass premed school, and a 37R.

will prolly live in hoboken if i get in, i have a few friends who commute to njms from there and they like it.

Class of 2010 here!!!!! I'm so excited to go. This year is really dragging. For those who are waiting to hear from them, just contact Heinrich. He's a really nice guy and he will help you if he sees the passion for medicine that he looks for. I know a lot of people getting there interviews at NJMS now these days and the earliest they will notify you is around October 15th.

Does anyone know about the housing that is being built there? I know its going to be open by August 2006 but anyone have info on prices or what kinds of rooms will be available? I hope I can get my own studio type place there.

MochaMD said:
Class of 2010 here!!!!! I'm so excited to go. This year is really dragging. For those who are waiting to hear from them, just contact Heinrich. He's a really nice guy and he will help you if he sees the passion for medicine that he looks for. I know a lot of people getting there interviews at NJMS now these days and the earliest they will notify you is around October 15th.

Does anyone know about the housing that is being built there? I know its going to be open by August 2006 but anyone have info on prices or what kinds of rooms will be available? I hope I can get my own studio type place there.

just had my interview there yesterday...i like the school. the facilities are nice, although i couldn't get an in depth tour because my interview was scheduled immediately after. i liked what i saw, though. newark does rather suck, but i suppose it would make for some interesting hospital experiences.

question for the current students there...do you think most of the student body commutes and does that lead to a lack of campus life. in other words, do you hang out with your med school buddies after class or lab work?

Has anyone joined Mocha as a future NJMS class of 2010 yet??? Good luck to everyone and be sure to post as soon as you hear!

the current 1st years at NJMS are having a keg party for Halloween...anyone want to come with me to their party (as class of 2010 representatives :D )

ASDIC said:
the current 1st years at NJMS are having a keg party for Halloween...anyone want to come with me to their party (as class of 2010 representatives :D )

right on. did you get accepted early decision? or did dr. heinrich call you on saturday?!

MDDM said:
right on. did you get accepted early decision? or did dr. heinrich call you on saturday?!

He replied above or on the previous page, but I'll answer again for him........

He applied during the C/O 2009 cycle and got accepted to a joint program MD/MBA, where he is doing one year of the MBA classes now, and that is why he's deferred from the MD program for year, which he'll start with you all.

gujuDoc said:
He replied above or on the previous page, but I'll answer again for him........

He applied during the C/O 2009 cycle and got accepted to a joint program MD/MBA, where he is doing one year of the MBA classes now, and that is why he's deferred from the MD program for year, which he'll start with you all.

Thank you sir ;)

Dr. Heinrich called me this morning and let me know I was accepted MD/PhD!!!!! So excited!!!!!!