New Jersey Medical School Class of 2010 -or- hopeful :o)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I put a 500dollar deposit down on a two bedroom apt there with my friend Joe. Since both of us are students and dont have much credit and as well all know, "no credit is bad credit" we will find out on wednesday if we are approved. Its an amazing place! and for 2275month it better be amazing. My apt has 10ft vaulted ceilings, sound proofing, gas fireplace, 12ft balcony, washer dryer in unit, whirlpool bath tub, two bathrooms, brand new wood cabinets, dishwasher, new fridge, garbage disposal, heated swimming pool, puting green, 24/hr gym, dry cleaning service, elevators, beautiful landscaping. Its in a very nice place in south orange a few blocks past seton hall. Close to a super market.

I am having to take out additional money to pay for this however this is definitly a place i will feel comfortable with for the next year. Id be proud to have guests over and I dont have to worry about my car at all. We took the trip to NJMS today from Gaslight and it took us 15minutes taking south orange ave(sunday no traffic but hit every light). The train station is 1 block away so trips into the city are very easy. I already have all my of furniture so if we are approved this is where i will be. I must thank 4Ever for the advice and suggestion.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on the new place! Hopefully you get it and you can start moving in. By the description you gave, it sounds really great. Since you have decided on the gaslight commons I'll just give you a little more information about the area so you can explore further:

- they are building a movie theater/amphitheatre right next to the train station which will be great for down-time when you want to relax and don't want to travel far
- there are some really nice places to eat and to hang out (Bunny's has decent food, happy hour, very busy when Seton Hall games are being played and thus very fun. Also they have an all you can eat pizza special with 1$ beer though I forget when this runs. Gaslight is a nice bar with food and band playing at various times. Another nice place to just hang out to relax. You also have Coldstone icecream and Dunkin Donuts in that area. There are quite a few other places whose names I forget which a lot of college kids go to hang out and very fun along with some nice diners/places to eat, etc

- For traffic purposes, it would be best to go up Third street to prospect and then to south orange as you end up bypassing a lot of the traffic that jams up during morning and evenings (not so bad during off peak but you won't have to worry about that place being the reason why you're late to class).

Everything else I am sure that you will be able to figure out on your own. Once again, congratulations and enjoy the place.

any news on the waitlist, anyone??

is anyone else feeling like its time to throw in the towel? well actually i guess i already resubmit AMCAS so i already kind of have thrown it in...

i REALLY hope its not too late for a phonecall.. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received official information about when school actually starts?

has anyone gotten in off of the waitlist lately? or any info on its movement?

gotgame83 said:
I put a 500dollar deposit down on a two bedroom apt there with my friend Joe. Since both of us are students and dont have much credit and as well all know, "no credit is bad credit" we will find out on wednesday if we are approved. Its an amazing place! and for 2275month it better be amazing. My apt has 10ft vaulted ceilings, sound proofing, gas fireplace, 12ft balcony, washer dryer in unit, whirlpool bath tub, two bathrooms, brand new wood cabinets, dishwasher, new fridge, garbage disposal, heated swimming pool, puting green, 24/hr gym, dry cleaning service, elevators, beautiful landscaping. Its in a very nice place in south orange a few blocks past seton hall. Close to a super market.

I am having to take out additional money to pay for this however this is definitly a place i will feel comfortable with for the next year. Id be proud to have guests over and I dont have to worry about my car at all. We took the trip to NJMS today from Gaslight and it took us 15minutes taking south orange ave(sunday no traffic but hit every light). The train station is 1 block away so trips into the city are very easy. I already have all my of furniture so if we are approved this is where i will be. I must thank 4Ever for the advice and suggestion.

Did someone say they're moving to South Orange? I'm a 2nd year and I live with my fiancee about 2 blocks away from the gaslight. PM me and we'll go get a beer at the gaslight brewery and talk about med school or anything else.

thesauce said:
Did someone say they're moving to South Orange? I'm a 2nd year and I live with my fiancee about 2 blocks away from the gaslight. PM me and we'll go get a beer at the gaslight brewery and talk about med school or anything else.

Definitly! Im moving in August 5th.

I love the gaslight commons but wow, i read a post on apartment ratings saying they didnt want students to live there and they werent kidding. So originally when I put the deposit down on the apt the leasing person told us we needed to show that we had enough funds to cover the rent because we dont have any credit. So I asked her how much, and she said well ur rent for the year is around 28thousand so you need to have atleast that. Ok no problem, the next day we faxed them information for about 45grand. The office was closed a few days(holidays), the manger wasnt in etc so they got back to us the following thursday. I spoke with them and I was told that we needed to have 30x the rent in cash(around 68grand), checking account money was not accepted, financial aid award letters not acceptable, and we had 24 hours to do this and cosigners are not allowed. LMAO, that was unacceptable. Spoke with Bozzuto management, my roomates mother used to deal with realestate and her brother is a lawyer who specializes in real estate. Made a few phone calls. (His parents wired 29grand into his bank account just to be sure during this time) I called them yesterday, and this is what I am told, " I applogize, I was wrong, you do not need 30x the rent in cash, just enough to cover the rent." Hmmm I wonder how many student in the past just let it go and never pursued anything...

Anyway, as long as I fax this paper tomorrow the apt is ours. Hey Thesauce(or anyone else reading this thread), do you know of any good gyms in the area? My apt complex has an OK fitness room however the only free weights they have are dumbells which only go up to 50. I was told that rutgers newarks gym doesnt really check IDs and maybe Seton hall is the same way.

Ill definitly meet up with you for a drink. Take care.

gotgame83 said:
Definitly! Im moving in August 5th.

I love the gaslight commons but wow, i read a post on apartment ratings saying they didnt want students to live there and they werent kidding. So originally when I put the deposit down on the apt the leasing person told us we needed to show that we had enough funds to cover the rent because we dont have any credit. So I asked her how much, and she said well ur rent for the year is around 28thousand so you need to have atleast that. Ok no problem, the next day we faxed them information for about 45grand. The office was closed a few days(holidays), the manger wasnt in etc so they got back to us the following thursday. I spoke with them and I was told that we needed to have 30x the rent in cash(around 68grand), checking account money was not accepted, financial aid award letters not acceptable, and we had 24 hours to do this and cosigners are not allowed. LMAO, that was unacceptable. Spoke with Bozzuto management, my roomates mother used to deal with realestate and her brother is a lawyer who specializes in real estate. Made a few phone calls. (His parents wired 29grand into his bank account just to be sure during this time) I called them yesterday, and this is what I am told, " I applogize, I was wrong, you do not need 30x the rent in cash, just enough to cover the rent." Hmmm I wonder how many student in the past just let it go and never pursued anything...

Anyway, as long as I fax this paper tomorrow the apt is ours. Hey Thesauce(or anyone else reading this thread), do you know of any good gyms in the area? My apt complex has an OK fitness room however the only free weights they have are dumbells which only go up to 50. I was told that rutgers newarks gym doesnt really check IDs and maybe Seton hall is the same way.

Ill definitly meet up with you for a drink. Take care.

Unfortunately, gyms are scarce in these parts. I feel your pain. I use the Rutgers Newark gym 3 times a week and call it good. It's expensive as **** though. They technically do check that you have an ID, but they don't really match up the name on the ID with the one on your badge, so you can probably get away with it for awhile, but not for long.

There's a gym on Millburn Ave called Motion Fitness, but it's like $100/month. Other than that, maybe "Curves" if you can pass for a girl ;)

How much is the rutgers newark gym per year? Man, i guess i need to start making friends with the people who work at rutgers newark.

thesauce said:
There's a gym on Millburn Ave called Motion Fitness, but it's like $100/month. Other than that, maybe "Curves" if you can pass for a girl ;)

Im no guuuurlly man! ( In a horrible Arnold impression voice)

gotgame83 said:
Hey Thesauce(or anyone else reading this thread), do you know of any good gyms in the area? My apt complex has an OK fitness room however the only free weights they have are dumbells which only go up to 50. I was told that rutgers newarks gym doesnt really check IDs and maybe Seton hall is the same way.

You can try the same at the NJIT gym as I heard they don't check ID much though I haven't tried to get in there or Rutgers. Seton Hall will hassle you with parking on campus if u dont have a tag and also they check once in a while your ID (u need to go past the person who will scan ur ID)

there is a gym near the corner of Valley and South Orange (away from scotland going towards valley but near the bank ). its a small gym and has a free weight section and a machine side. Its not that great of a gym but you can check it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
gotgame83 said:
How much is the rutgers newark gym per year? Man, i guess i need to start making friends with the people who work at rutgers newark.

About $350 bucks for the year. Has to be paid up front.

What about POWERHOUSE GYM, Bloomfield? Is it good?

for ppl on the alternate list here, is there any way for us to get any kind of indication as to what our chances are and/or how the waitlist movement is going? i've tried several times to find out whether there has been any movement, and I've even asked if they can tell me what tier i'm in, but i haven't been able to find anything out. at this point, i have no idea whatsoever whether or not i even have a chance of getting a call from here. does anyone else know anything about this???

persianrug said:
for ppl on the alternate list here, is there any way for us to get any kind of indication as to what our chances are and/or how the waitlist movement is going? i've tried several times to find out whether there has been any movement, and I've even asked if they can tell me what tier i'm in, but i haven't been able to find anything out. at this point, i have no idea whatsoever whether or not i even have a chance of getting a call from here. does anyone else know anything about this???

nope...they dont tell you much about the waitlist...i tried but couldnt get anything out of them.

and i dont know if theres any movement bc Dr. Heinrich is away, and will be for the next 10 days, so i decided to leave them alone for the time being.

CibaoMD said:
What about POWERHOUSE GYM, Bloomfield? Is it good?

Have you found a place in bloomfield? If so my old workout partner is a lawyer who just moved from bloomfield a few months ago, he told me some good place to lift around there but I cant remember them. I'll have to give him a call.

4 Ever said:
You can try the same at the NJIT gym as I heard they don't check ID much though I haven't tried to get in there or Rutgers. Seton Hall will hassle you with parking on campus if u dont have a tag and also they check once in a while your ID (u need to go past the person who will scan ur ID)

there is a gym near the corner of Valley and South Orange (away from scotland going towards valley but near the bank ). its a small gym and has a free weight section and a machine side. Its not that great of a gym but you can check it out.

Hey, I was up there yesterday with my roomate to sign the lease. Is it NEAR the bank or is it in the same big building that the PNC bank is in? I saw a karate place, curves and some other stores in that big building but i didnt see a gym. I forgot that you had told me about it but the owner of the Blimpies on Valley st (older italian man, cant remember his name) told us about it too. He also told us that LOCO bar had a lot of hot Seton hall girls there, im not sure why he knows that but my friend asked him where the girls hang out at lol

Oh and he was also telling us about why that section of south orange is so nice, something about raising the propery taxes so much to keep out some shady people. Then he was telling us about how I think he said the president of Seton hall was shot in the leg a few years ago and then all the local Jewish people paniced and moved to livingston or something like that. He was a funny guy.

thesauce said:
About $350 bucks for the year. Has to be paid up front.

Ouch, I hope that gym on valley st is cheaper. If not I guess I will have to get creative using the gym in my apt complex.

Hahaha, I just got a phone call from NJMS asking my my jacket size for my white coat. Im such a dork this is what i said, " Well right now i think its a 45, but this is my summer weight. Just to be safe you better make that a 47 just so I dont have to watch what I eat lol"

Did everyone else fill out that survey that they emailed to us?

gotgame83 said:
Hahaha, I just got a phone call from NJMS asking my my jacket size for my white coat. Im such a dork this is what i said, " Well right now i think its a 45, but this is my summer weight. Just to be safe you better make that a 47 just so I dont have to watch what I eat lol"

Did everyone else fill out that survey that they emailed to us?

um sizes are like S M L XL

and 47? remind me not to go near the bench press when ur around...

Yea after i said that she said the L was up to 44 and the xl was 46-48. I wonder what they would have given me if i said it was a 45 lol

femmedargent said:
um sizes are like S M L XL

and 47? remind me not to go near the bench press when ur around...

I was thinking the same thing...

Just got my UMDNJ account, pretty cool :thumbup:

ChuckRock said:
I was thinking the same thing...

Just got my UMDNJ account, pretty cool :thumbup:

How did you get a UMDNJ account already? I haven't received anything about this.

I have my UMDNJ account too. I got it a few weeks ago however the email section just started working a few days ago for some reason.

gotgame83 said:
I have my UMDNJ account too. I got it a few weeks ago however the email section just started working a few days ago for some reason.

Did you get an e-mail about getting an account? What website did you have to go to register for one? Thanx.

I received an email about activating my account, the subject line was "UMDNJ New Students - Important Technical Info about your UMDNJ account" I then had to click on a link and i just had to pick a password the first time but the link walked you through all the steps. To go to it i just go to the umdnj.edu page and on the bottom left u click my.umdnj Then i can just login. However for the first 3 weeks the email wasnt working but i tried it today and I go into my email fine. Its just filled with news updates from UMDNJ etc. If you have any more questions feel free to ask but I cant promise ill know the answer lol

MochaMD said:
How did you get a UMDNJ account already? I haven't received anything about this.

My first reaction was, "oh they must be rolling it out slowly to everyone so the system isnt overloaded"... then I realized there's less than 200 ppl in the class and that would be pretty silly. Maybe it has to be done manualy and thus it might take a couple days to get everyone in.

Either way, I'm just talking out of my ass, I'm sure it's comming. I got an email like the one gotgame described last night.

I got the UMDNJ account activation Email on Thurs.....

MochaMD said:

i havent either

ChuckRock said:
My first reaction was, "oh they must be rolling it out slowly to everyone so the system isnt overloaded"... then I realized there's less than 200 ppl in the class and that would be pretty silly. Maybe it has to be done manualy and thus it might take a couple days to get everyone in.

Either way, I'm just talking out of my ass, I'm sure it's comming. I got an email like the one gotgame described last night.

I hope so. Maybe I'm just a little too impatient. It's probably a central UMDNJ thing so maybe they are doing it in alphabetical order or something.

Anyways, I sure hope we get the housing confrimations already. There is only a couple of weeks left. Yikes.

gotgame83 said:
Yea after i said that she said the L was up to 44 and the xl was 46-48. I wonder what they would have given me if i said it was a 45 lol

the XL, and a box of Twinkies.

MochaMD said:
I hope so. Maybe I'm just a little too impatient. It's probably a central UMDNJ thing so maybe they are doing it in alphabetical order or something.

Anyways, I sure hope we get the housing confrimations already. There is only a couple of weeks left. Yikes.

Hmm that might be possible, my last name does start with the letter C.

I was up there last week but i forgot to check to see how they were making out with the housing, but I was told from a fellow SDNer that it looks like it is almost complete. Mocha im guessing u opted for the on campus housing?

I got my account activation email this past week. Last name starts with H.

Anyone got any more details on when and where to show up for the first day? And what supplies/books we need to purchase before that?

fhayashi said:
I got my account activation email this past week. Last name starts with H.

Anyone got any more details on when and where to show up for the first day? And what supplies/books we need to purchase before that?

I think they are sending us more specific info as we get closer to orientation.

Does anyone know if they said anything about including a gym in the new apartment building? I recall hearing about that early on but it's nowhere to be found on the apartment specs website.

The gym and the other retail establishments wont ready until for some time...according to the VP of the new housing admin. They still havent built it yet and after that they hafta set them up for bidding...which can again take a few months...there is a gym and starbucks at the Rutgers campus which is a 10 min walk or u can take the shuttle that runs every 20 min.

Just got the White Coat Phone Call yest. My last name starts with a T soooo its probably going alphabetically.....

I received my oreintation packet in the mail today. The hardest part about oreintation for me is waking up to be there by 830am lol

So i guess we have to buy a PDA. I wish she would tell use how much our financial aid will be increased for it.

gotgame83 said:
So i guess we have to buy a PDA. I wish she would tell use how much our financial aid will be increased for it.
i think you have to call the fin aid office and you can request an increase. 500 - 1000 shouldnt be a problem.

Havoc (or anyone else who wants to answer this) so I can increase my budget by an extra 500-1000bucks beyond the schools normally allowed budget because they are requiring that I purchase this item. I already requested that I receive the full aid to the maximum budget.

gotgame83 said:
Havoc (or anyone else who wants to answer this) so I can increase my budget by an extra 500-1000bucks beyond the schools normally allowed budget because they are requiring that I purchase this item. I already requested that I receive the full aid to the maximum budget.

wait, you guys are REQUIRED to have a PDA?

I've heard from other students there now that you don't really need the the PDA until third year so I'm going to hold off buying it for now. Even in the SNMA mail that we recently received about joining it, there was a paper with all the recommended books/items to buy and they specifically said a PDA wasn't necessary. I'm sure its good practice to get used to it buy third year but I rather wait to buy until then since technology seems to get updated so often.

I received an email today from lettman saying we are REQUIRED to have it for the class of 2010

NJMS uses an electronic log system called Meditrek for students to document their clinical experiences during the first year course titled "Physician's Core". Having an effective way of documenting clinical experiences is a requirement of the accreditation group for medical schools, called LCME.

The Meditrek system is used with a personal digital assistant (PDA), and is web-based. The students in the Class of 2010 will be required to purchase a PDA with which to collect information about the patients you see at the point of service. Studies have shown that log entries are more accurate if done immediately after seeing a patient, rather than waiting to record entries at the end of the day or week. Meditrek is completely HIPAA compliant and you will not be collecting any specific identifying information about patients, but more general information like age and diagnoses.

As you know, PDA's also serve as an excellent reference for drug information, evidence-based medicine tools and other reference information (texts). Not to mention that you can keep your calendar, addresses, and even checkbook on them, too. More information about using PDA's and available reference systems will be given to you during orientation.

The Meditrek system works on both the Windows CE and Palm OS platforms. If you already have a PDA, there is no need to purchase another at this time, as long as it has adequate memory. For those of you who need to purchase a new PDA, Financial Aid will increase your budget to accommodate the purchase. The NJMS now has wireless coverage in most areas, and should be completely wireless by next year. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that you get a PDA with wireless capability. A warranty is also highly recommended.

We recommend the following:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=x51520&s=dhs

FYI - this model is the basic model with wireless starting at $399

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=x51416&s=dhs

FYI - this model is the basic model withOUT wireless and also the cheapest at $239

For additional NJMS support information, please visit: http://www.umdnj.edu/tssweb/meditrek.htm

gotgame83 said:
NJMS uses an electronic log system called Meditrek for students to document their clinical experiences during the first year course titled "Physician's Core". Having an effective way of documenting clinical experiences is a requirement of the accreditation group for medical schools, called LCME.

The Meditrek system is used with a personal digital assistant (PDA), and is web-based. The students in the Class of 2010 will be required to purchase a PDA with which to collect information about the patients you see at the point of service. Studies have shown that log entries are more accurate if done immediately after seeing a patient, rather than waiting to record entries at the end of the day or week. Meditrek is completely HIPAA compliant and you will not be collecting any specific identifying information about patients, but more general information like age and diagnoses.

As you know, PDA's also serve as an excellent reference for drug information, evidence-based medicine tools and other reference information (texts). Not to mention that you can keep your calendar, addresses, and even checkbook on them, too. More information about using PDA's and available reference systems will be given to you during orientation.

The Meditrek system works on both the Windows CE and Palm OS platforms. If you already have a PDA, there is no need to purchase another at this time, as long as it has adequate memory. For those of you who need to purchase a new PDA, Financial Aid will increase your budget to accommodate the purchase. The NJMS now has wireless coverage in most areas, and should be completely wireless by next year. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that you get a PDA with wireless capability. A warranty is also highly recommended.

We recommend the following:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=x51520&s=dhs

FYI - this model is the basic model with wireless starting at $399

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=x51416&s=dhs

FYI - this model is the basic model withOUT wireless and also the cheapest at $239

For additional NJMS support information, please visit: http://www.umdnj.edu/tssweb/meditrek.htm

Yikes. I hope we are not next!