New Jersey Medical School Class of 2010 -or- hopeful :o)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just spoke with admissions. Yes there is an open house 2morrow. It starts at 8:30am and they have a lil breakfast thing first. She said she would send me an email in a few minutes. If anyone wants me to forward them the email just let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

gotgame83 said:
I just spoke with admissions. Yes there is an open house 2morrow. It starts at 8:30am and they have a lil breakfast thing first. She said she would send me an email in a few minutes. If anyone wants me to forward them the email just let me know.

hey gotgame, thanks a lot for the info. i'd appreciate it if you could forward me the email, because i don't think i spoke to ever sent it to me. i'll pm you my email address. thanks again.

I was unable to make it up to the open house thing tomorrow. If anyone wants to make a trip of it this week just send me a PM. Ill be going up this week to look at the housing options and to see if I could survive in Newark, because I dont know if im as tough at Bepony lol

Members don't see this ad :)
gotgame83 said:
I was unable to make it up to the open house thing tomorrow. If anyone wants to make a trip of it this week just send me a PM. Ill be going up this week to look at the housing options and to see if I could survive in Newark, because I dont know if im as tough at Bepony lol

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

did all of you receive ur financial aid?

I am still waiting for mine...and they said it will take time to process even though my file is complete.

ASDIC said:
did all of you receive ur financial aid?

I am still waiting for mine...and they said it will take time to process even though my file is complete.

I received my reward letter and a letter stating that I had to complete the entrance interview. but since then.. nothing... :scared:

mintchip15 said:
I received my reward letter and a letter stating that I had to complete the entrance interview. but since then.. nothing... :scared:

Nothing for me yet either. I called the financial aid office up and they said I had to complete the entrance interview online.

Has anyone gone in to meet up with Dr. Heinrich. If so, was just wondering what you conversation with him was like. What did you guys talk about? Thanks.

BUMP. I got the phone call from Dr. Heinrich yesterday but my phone was dead. I had a feeling that I got accepted after he called me at 9:15PM !!!! Talked with him today and its official!!! It feels great. My first acceptance !!!! Wow..... And Dr. Heinrich is such a class act. He makes his phone call very personal. He's awesome. This is awesome!!!

CibaoMD said:
BUMP. I got the phone call from Dr. Heinrich yesterday but my phone was dead. I had a feeling that I got accepted after he called me at 9:15PM !!!! Talked with him today and its official!!! It feels great. My first acceptance !!!! Wow..... And Dr. Heinrich is such a class act. He makes his phone call very personal. He's awesome. This is awesome!!!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

CibaoMD said:

WELCOME:)

Bumping this up.

Please, if you are looking for housing and want a roomate join that google message board. Housing is expensive up in north jersey, im guessing more people then just me are looking for roomates.

congrats to all the new incoming students. i was just curious as to how many people here opted for the studio or 1BR apartments and whether they showed you anything worthwhile at the housing day regarding the housing? Rumors from the grapevine are that they are very pricey

Members don't see this ad :)
They are definitly a little pricey. Im hoping to be able to find a very nice apt outside of newark for that price if i get a roomate. I saw the housing two days ago and I will be very impressed if its all complete on time.

i got an e-mail from ms. lettman a few days ago, and it seems that all the studio and 1BR apartments have been accounted for the next year....no more spots for us!! :scared:

4 Ever said:
congrats to all the new incoming students. i was just curious as to how many people here opted for the studio or 1BR apartments and whether they showed you anything worthwhile at the housing day regarding the housing? Rumors from the grapevine are that they are very pricey

Yea they are all taken. They were expensive though. For a thousand bucks im hoping i could find a really nice apartment if i found someone to pay a thousand bucks each on a two bedroom. Hopefully i can find one a lot cheaper then that.

gotgame83 said:
They are definitly a little pricey. Im hoping to be able to find a very nice apt outside of newark for that price if i get a roomate. I saw the housing two days ago and I will be very impressed if its all complete on time.

I agree with you man. Drove around there last night and the building still needed a lot of work. Seems they would have to work double time to finish by August 1st. Oh yeah man, what's up with Society Hill? Seemed pretty nice (from the outside)

CibaoMD said:
I agree with you man. Drove around there last night and the building still needed a lot of work. Seems they would have to work double time to finish by August 1st. Oh yeah man, what's up with Society Hill? Seemed pretty nice (from the outside)

Society hill didnt seem too bad however things i didnt like is i saw a lot of street parking and I was told that cars get broken into pretty often over there. I dont live there so i cant confirm this but If someone else who has lived in society hill can chime in that would be great. Im not sure about the pricing at society hill however I might be willing to pay a bit more and move 10-15minutes away to a nicer location. This is all moving so fast now, I had all my stuff squared away at another med school and since ive decided on NJMS im homeless!

gotgame83 said:
Society hill didnt seem too bad however things i didnt like is i saw a lot of street parking and I was told that cars get broken into pretty often over there. I dont live there so i cant confirm this but If someone else who has lived in society hill can chime in that would be great. Im not sure about the pricing at society hill however I might be willing to pay a bit more and move 10-15minutes away to a nicer location. This is all moving so fast now, I had all my stuff squared away at another med school and since ive decided on NJMS im homeless!

Damn Game.... I didn't know about that car issue.. That would suck coming back from class seeing your window busted or something.......Maybe you could park on campus or in the new dorm parking lot??... 800 bucks a year is very reasonable for "peace of mind"

CibaoMD said:
Damn Game.... I didn't know about that car issue.. That would suck coming back from class seeing your window busted or something.......Maybe you could park on campus or in the new dorm parking lot??... 800 bucks a year is very reasonable for "peace of mind"

Thats not a bad idea but im not sure if they will go for it. The only problem is I went there during the day and I felt perfectly safe in the day time. However, I hear its different at night. Im not sure how I would feel getting back from my friends place, parking in the garage, and then walking to my place in society hill. I dont know, maybe someone else can comment on the area. I know some buildings at soc hill have a garage but there was a lot of street parking. I was on rent.com and apartments.com for about an hour today looking for apartments within 15minutes from NJMS. If anyone is looking for a roomate and doesnt mind commuting 15minutes let me know, im sure we could find a really nice apt for a decent price.

the "new dorm parking lot" is nothing more than an extension of the current parking lot (P1). At night the parking lot closes at 11pm but there appears to be a separate exit being built so maybe they will be open later since there are now apartments above the parking deck. Parking information is somewhat vague. Also, it is 800 for a RESERVED spot which means that your license plate will be on the parking spot compared to if you have a GUARANTEED spot where you could just park in any of the corresponding spots. I haven't looked into details about whether a reserved tag automatically will allow you to park in a guaranteed spot. Lastly, if for some reason you don't have your own car (or have a friend park in your spot), it seems that there would be an issue since the plates wouldn't match the parking spot --- this issue would be better addressed by the parking people in the ADMC buildings

Gotgame - i would recommend checking out the gaslight commons in south orange. It is right next to the train station and located downtown in SO (very nice area and not scary to walk down at night). The price of a 2BR from what I have heard is about 2100 and covers many ammenities so if you can find someone else that wouldn't mind living there, it would be fairly convenient. Commute time in the morning varies depending on how many lights you'll hit and how much traffic but without traffic, it would only take 15min to get to UMDNJ while with traffic you might spend 25min. There ARE of course other ways to get to UMDNJ instead of south orange ave.

4 Ever said:
the "new dorm parking lot" is nothing more than an extension of the current parking lot (P1). At night the parking lot closes at 11pm but there appears to be a separate exit being built so maybe they will be open later since there are now apartments above the parking deck. Parking information is somewhat vague. Also, it is 800 for a RESERVED spot which means that your license plate will be on the parking spot compared to if you have a GUARANTEED spot where you could just park in any of the corresponding spots. I haven't looked into details about whether a reserved tag automatically will allow you to park in a guaranteed spot. Lastly, if for some reason you don't have your own car (or have a friend park in your spot), it seems that there would be an issue since the plates wouldn't match the parking spot --- this issue would be better addressed by the parking people in the ADMC buildings

Gotgame - i would recommend checking out the gaslight commons in south orange. It is right next to the train station and located downtown in SO (very nice area and not scary to walk down at night). The price of a 2BR from what I have heard is about 2100 and covers many ammenities so if you can find someone else that wouldn't mind living there, it would be fairly convenient. Commute time in the morning varies depending on how many lights you'll hit and how much traffic but without traffic, it would only take 15min to get to UMDNJ while with traffic you might spend 25min. There ARE of course other ways to get to UMDNJ instead of south orange ave.

Thank you for the suggestion! I just checked it out on google. Looks very good!

Just want to throw this out again...

Im moving from 91 Halsey Street (downtown Newark) on July 1st and the 2BR will be available then if anyone is interested. Its a HUGE apartment (1850 sq feet) and the rent is 1500/month. Rutgers law school is right across the street, so there are a bunch of law students living here. Overall, it is VERY quiet.

If I went to NJMS, I was going to just keep this place and walk to school every day. It's about a 20-25 minute walk so you really dont even need a car.

Let me know if you are interested and I can give contact info of the landlord.

I had called the housing people and received some information on housing -- The oddest of which to me is that first year students get preference every year. This means that it is possible that if you are in a studio for one year, you may have to move out the next year if all studios are chosen by incoming students. (i guess this can make sense otherwise some people wouldn't move at all while living there but unfair for people living there because there is no guarantee that they will have housing for the following year). Secondly, though the place is furnished, people aren't allowed to bring in ANY extra furniture (i.e. book shelf, larger study table, table for a TV etc). However, for most I suppose the latter isn't much of an issue

I probably would have moved into the campus housing if we were allowed to bring our own furniture. I already purchased all of mine and spent the summer finishing the wood and stuff so Im not about to part with it. I spoke with the housing people via email last week and they told me the same thing, " NO extra furniture allowed"

Does anyone know exactly what time the White Coat Ceremony usually starts???? I know that its on August 15th and in the afternoon but I was hoping someone on this forum might know from previous years what time it starts. Thanks in advance.

Well atleast now i know its on the 15th, thats more then i knew before.

gotgame83 said:
Well atleast now i know its on the 15th, thats more then i knew before.

i thought heinrich said it was the 16th

I have no idea what day its on, i was counting on u guys to know! Heinrich told me when I got the acceptance call but some how i forget almost everything after the congrats ur accepted statement lol

Btw, cmon someone has to want housing outside of newark lol

Game.... What did you decide on??? I hit a couple of spots today... Society Hill , E Orange, So Orange, Oranges, Union, Irvington..... Suffice to say I don't like fruit...... I didn't get a chance to check out Gaslight though......Seems kinda pricey though..... I hope their gym and other ammenities are worth the extra mula........

Yea gaslight is definitly pricey, id definitly be living like a poor med student if i went there but im not saying its not an option. Right now I am just trying to find a roomate. Theres nothing i can afford thats decent thats a single.(Im living entirely off loans) I did speak with my friends mom who used to work as an EMT in newark and told me that i should stay away from east orange, irvington and she would like it if i didnt stay in newark lol Right now im just afraid of being homeless come august lol

Cibao, did u check out bloomfield, montclair, nutley? I hear those are better then most of the surrounding areas.

Im going to wait another week or so and try to find a roomate. If not im going to either look into getting a personal loan so I can live in a nice single for a year or see if i can find any singles a bit further away and commute a bit to school. I have a lot of really good furniture that just wouldnt go good in a crappy apartment lol

Is there a calendar of events somewhere?

I'm not sure what the next 'event' I'm supposed to show up is.

I thought the White Coat Ceremony would be before classes starts - but if it's on the 15th or 16th of August, that makes it after the start date I found on the academic calendar of the web (Aug. 10th.).

Am I totally clueless and miss out on some information packets, or are all of you in the dark as well?

Orientation starts Aug 10, actual classes dont start till the 15th or 16th, thus the date for the ceremony. I haven't gotten anything, but that's the word from the housing day a couple weeks ago.

I only assumed it would be August 15th by looking at the dates from last year.

Last year, orientation began on August 11th (Thursday) and the White Coat Ceremony was on August 16th (Tuesday). Classes began the day after.

I assume its the same for this year too where Orientation will be on August 10th (Thursday) and the White Coat Ceremony will be on August 15th (Tuesday).

Orientation definitely begins on the 10th though (http://njms.umdnj.edu/education/registrar/06_07.cfm.

August seems like so faraway.

lol, August seems too close for those of us on waitlists :scared:

August seems very close. The summer seems to be flying by, next thing I know ill be seeing half of you in the library instead of on SDN.

you guys are so lucky. our orientation begins on the 4th!!! i could sure use that extra week!

hey everyone,
i just withdrew my acceptance from NJMS
i hope one of you waiting to hear gets the call soon

good luck everyone!!!

NjGirl said:
lol, August seems too close for those of us on waitlists :scared:

froggo37 said:
hey everyone,

good luck everyone!!!

froggo, you are AMAZING!

haha sorry i think im a little too excited but its good to know that there is still hope for the waitlist...and btw did you decide on cinncinati?

froggo37 said:
hey everyone,

good luck everyone!!!

best of luck to you bro!

njgirl: haha, good luck to you, and yeah, i decided on univ. of cincinnati

gotgame: thanx bro, good luck to you for ur medical career, we'll chat on SDN for the years to come, i'm sure of it
also thanks for your help the past 2 weeks, u've been very helpful!

secondyear classes begin on the 16th and as far as i know the White coar ceremony is on the last day of orientation, which i believe is the 15th. So the 16th u all will have Anatomy and/or Molecular Genetics and Medicine. (and yes..u will learn the first day.)....hehehe.. I warn u..for anatomy u will have Dr. Vasan the first day and he will be goin 100MPH so hold on:) but hes a awesome guy!!!

Does anyone know of any two bedroom apts for rent in society hill? I was told that sometimes lists are posted on webct but i dont have my login info for that yet. If so please send me a PM

gotgame83 said:
Does anyone know of any two bedroom apts for rent in society hill? I was told that sometimes lists are posted on webct but i dont have my login info for that yet. If so please send me a PM

i tried to access it for you but it seems that i no longet have access...although i think im supposed to....u should call student affairs and they should be able to guide u.

yea its weird, i can access the my.umdnj thing but i cant access my email or webct lol. Ill get in touch with technical support on monday and see if student affairs can help out. Thank you for all your help drguy.

Here are some to get you started:

• 2 Bedrooms - Society HIll
• $1625 per month
• Large Living Room
• 2 1/2 baths
• Patio in Master Bedroom
• New paint, new carpet
• A/C, Alarm and Washer/Dryer
• Full Kitchen
• Private parking
• Contact Cris Mobely @973-568-4684

2 Bedroom condo - Society Hill?Walking distance to UMDNJ?$750 month smaller Bedroom, $850 month for larger BRw/attached bath?2 1/2 baths?Large Living room w/fireplace, EIK w/appliances?Off street parking?Plendy of other med student in complex?Contact: 201-247-16577

2 Bedroom comdo - Society Hill (share with current med student)?2 1/2 baths?$1700 month ?Available June 1, 2006?Parking on Premises?Laundry Facilities on premise?10 min to UMDNJ - NJMS?Contact: Sade Oladapo at [email protected]

2 Bedroom Condo - Society Hill (4th yr med student moving)?$1450 month + $2175 security?2 1/2 Bath, Top 2 Floors w/ 2 balconies?2 Parking spots on Premise?Central A/C and Heat, Washer and Dryer, diswasher in utin?Dining Room, Living room, Jacuzzi?Great Landlord - share apr with other med student?Contact Colville Tobias @ 973-484-0990

4 Ever, u have been extremely helpful! Thank you. Im actually taking a ride in about 30minutes to head up to south orange and take a look at Gaslight and see if its worth me being poor considering im just using the schools budget.

definitely let us know how it turned out. I personally haven't seen the place myself but have heard great reviews from some of my friends who were checking out the place. Good luck on the hunt