Med School Decisions: UC vs. not...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snurps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I pre-matched to several Texas Schools and chose Texas Tech because of the MD/MBA offer, the closeness to my family and practically a full scholarship. I've also been accepted to UC Irvine but with no scholarship.

Pros for UCI:
More prestigious research opportunities
Close to my BF (of almost 4 yrs)
SoCal weather
Anatomy all year
Kaplan prep course/1 extra week to study for STEP 1
Familiarity (I went to undergrad in the area and live in SoCal now)

Cons for UCI:
Extreme debt
--I'm not sure if the slightly greater prestige is worth ~100K in tuition debt alone.

Pros for TTU
-MD/MBA (I'm not sure if this is a pro or a con)
-My Mom is in a very high leadership position, w/ an NIH grant and will definitely allow me to participate in her research=lots of publications
-cheap
-no surgical residents, which would be amazing since I might want to go into the field
-more manageable class schedule for 1st year

Cons for TTU

*The only real reason I would go to UC Irvine is to remain closer to my boyfriend.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pro for TTU: On campus waterpark. Done deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go for UCI myself, as you have an already established emotional support network there, as well as not having to adjust to new settings while also starting med school.

Either way congrats on your acceptances!

I love socal, and plan to attend UCI. But with that said, there is a huge difference in cost, and I think texas is the better option. Sorry, that is a tough choice.

I take it the MD/MBA is a 5-6 year deal and you won't be graduating with the rest of your class? Why do you want an MBA?

From reading the General Residency forums, it seems that the attendings and residents who post on this forum think that one of the most important things about medical schools is the 3rd year. What's the difference between the two?

Although UCI would be difficult to turn down (especially since I'm in CA), I would definitely pick Texas. Why would you not? At the end of the day, you are a doctor. If you can get any sort of scholarship, along with your mom helping you get publications, it is a clear cut decision for me.

Your BF can move to TX and that would solve the long distance situation. I know it's easier said than done, but your family is in TX, so maybe they can help out your BF until he gets settled in and find a job?

BTW, SoCal weather is not all that great right now anyways. It actually sucks (raining on the first day of Spring).

From the purely finacial standpoint UCI might be cheaper. Since your going to be doing the MBA in texas, that means you're delaying starting to make money longer. You'd definitely make more than 100k in an extra 1-2 years of practicing.

Do you prefer Cal or Texas? They're rather different states.

That's a tough choice you have to make there. But I'll follow the money, lol. You can eat your cake and have it though. Ask your bf if he can move with you because a 4-yr relationship is no joke, and long distance relationships are stressful. Been through that before and it was by no means easy. Congrats on ur acceptances and good luck with whatever choice u make.:thumbup:

That's a tough choice you have to make there. But I'll follow the money, lol. You can eat your cake and have it though. Ask your bf if he can move with you because a 4-yr relationship is no joke, and long distance relationships are stressful. Been through that before and it was by no means easy. Congrats on ur acceptances and good luck with whatever choice u make.:thumbup:
i like your name lol

Thanks for all of the advice. :) Unfortunately, my bf has is an aerospace engineer with a career of his own. So, moving would not be as easy for his situation.

*The MD/MBA is only 4 years so no loss in earnings.

both are good schools. I've heard TTU and the texas schools are pretty dang good and MD/MBA is pretty nice. I just skimmed over your post again snurps. Almost full scholarship at TTU - that is pretty dang good! :):thumbup:

BF and CA make UCI the definite winner. Don't let money make decisions about your wellbeing

Status
Not open for further replies.