LECOM-B vs BCOM vs ATSU-SOMA- Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zen92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am just interested in hearing your thoughts with regards to these schools. Which one would you recommend if you were in my position? I am in love with BCOM though LECOM is quite affordable. The campus and area does not seem to mesh too well with me as I love the mountains and deserts. I have an interview at ATSU-SOMA in December. Like I said before BCOM is amazing but should I still go to these interviews as well? Many thanks on any criticisms or advice that can be provided.

Regards,
Zen

Members don't see this ad.

Go with Lecom-B if you like PBL, go with SOMA if you can deal with the chc model, or go with BCOM if you can't stand either one.

BCOM could very well become a good school but the first class is always hard. You guys will have to deal with changing curriculum and other kinks in the road

But most of all pick the one you would be happiest at

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should hold off on a decision until you've gone to your interview at SOMA. Arizona is beautiful and if you love the desert/mountains, you might also like it there. I believe they also have CHC's in Arizona.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is chc? This my first time hearing that?

What is chc? This my first time hearing that?

Essentially you do years 2-4 at a separate location called a "community health center". These locations range from Chicago, to Oregon, to rural Arizona with a ton of variation in quality, it isn't a model that works for everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
As of now I'd go with Lecom-B over BCOM. Wait until you interview with SOMA and if you get an acceptance then it would be SOMA>LECOM-B. BCOM will be a good school in 2-3 years from now, but for now I don't think you want to use private loans for the first two years.

Lecom-B over BCOM & ATSU-SOMA. There is too much variability with the CHCs at ATSU and BCOM hasn't established itself.

Lecom-B over BCOM & ATSU-SOMA. There is too much variability with the CHCs at ATSU and BCOM hasn't established itself.
+1
As long as you have discipline then LECOM-B is your best choice.

I think it really comes down to LECOM-B or SOMA. Both are established and have actually placed physicians in good residencies. You can use federal loans, which may be a big perk depending on your situation. BCOM's got a great plan for the future, but really it is a plan with no results yet. If you have the opportunity to go somewhere else that's been around at least 10 years, IMO it'd be a big risk not to.

I would only need to get loans for 2 years I would say of the 4 for DO school. I will consider my options depending on how the interview goes. Thanks again everyone for the input on this thread! Some waitlists as well that show potential who knows? This is my first cycle and I do intend it to by my last. Having an acceptance already feels awesome but will keep evaluating my choices.

An established school should be chosen here but at the end of the day it up to you take what we say as a grain of salt. For me it would be soma> lecom>bcom. I just wouldn't want to risk going to bcom if accepted into a program that I know is established. Bcom seems to be quite promising but I mean any new school is going to be on their
"A" game. You need to go to the soma interview though this school beats lecom and especially Bcom by far

I feel that after you interview at soma your question will be answered. Everyone is awesome there and you will meet most of the faculty. Have fun!