ATSU SOMA vs. LECOM Seton Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATSU SOMA vs LECOM SH

• ATSU

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • LECOM

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

TheHumblingRiver

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for opinions as I will need to make a deposit soon. Out of my three acceptances, these are my current choices. I may forgo my deposit later in the cycle, but for now...

I appreciate the input.

Members don't see this ad.

Gonna depend on where you want to practice. Both are branch campuses of the main campus so i'm sure the experience will be similar.

If you are looking to practice in the NE then LECOM will be your better bet. If you are looking to practice in the SW then ATSU-SOMA is a better fit.

As a third year, I've rotated with a couple LECOM-Erie and Seton Hill campus kids. Other than the mandatory attendance they didn't have any huge complaints about the school. Don't know anybody that went to ATSU.

Reactions: 1 user
Gonna depend on where you want to practice. Both are branch campuses of the main campus so i'm sure the experience will be similar.

If you are looking to practice in the NE then LECOM will be your better bet. If you are looking to practice in the SW then ATSU-SOMA is a better fit.

As a third year, I've rotated with a couple LECOM-Erie and Seton Hill campus kids. Other than the mandatory attendance they didn't have any huge complaints about the school. Don't know anybody that went to ATSU.
Thanks. I'm wondering how much cost should factor in? I'm an older applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Its not CCU (74K), ATSU-SOMA (58K) vs LECOM (34K). You're going to be spending a-lot of money regardless. Tuition should always be a factor but in your situation it should not be the deciding factor. If you can't handle Pennsylvania winters, you are moving across the country (idk what your situation is) and dealing with LECOM's long stated policies including mandatory attendance, buisiness causual, etc etc

LECOM is by far an anomaly in regards to tuition. Most of the private DO schools are running b/w 40-50 K per year.

You need to just run a pros of cons list of
Tuition (one factor), moving to the school and how you will be from family/SO, pre-clinical environment (mandatory attendance, OMM emphasis [Can be pro/con, depending on how its taught], extracurricular (happy students tend to be more involved in school, students with time tend to be involved in clubs), Step/Level 1 (board prep course, dedicated time, policies for struggling students), 3rd year (sites, preceptors, preparation for third year, and online modalities required for third year), 4th year (required rotations, allowed audition time, do people match at residencies you want?).

I'm sure there is something I'm not thinking of. Writing down and triaging what specifically is important to you will help alot. The fact is users on SDN don't know you or know what is important to your well being to surviving medical school.

Reactions: 1 users