KCU Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgDoc95

Surgery Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking forward to meeting all of you in July and thought we'd could start chatting together!

Also, here is the link to the Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/COM2021/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I will be attending here to and I'm excited to start! Are you from STL by chance?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh gotcha! I am and just saw that you were a rams fan so didn't know. I've been a long time fan but they've sucked so bad in the last couple years haha

Oh gotcha! I am and just saw that you were a rams fan so didn't know. I've been a long time fan but they've sucked so bad in the last couple years haha

Haha my dads been one since he was little so it got passed down to me! I do go to school in the Midwest though

Oh well then that counts haha. I looked at the threads from the past years, looks like we have a legacy to keep up.

Enjoy life as much as you can. Medical school will take up quite a chunk of your life when it starts up :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Little premature, but when are you all planning on moving to KC? I'm thinking of moving in a week or two prior to orientation to get acclimated and explore the city a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Little premature, but when are you all planning on moving to KC? I'm thinking of moving in a week or two prior to orientation to get acclimated and explore the city a bit.
So I've actually been thinking about that. All we know is that tentatively the white coat ceremony is on July 29 at the end of orientation week. So give it a week for orientation which starts like July 22 and then a week to move into your place and get all your stuff together and buy any extra stuff you need so it sounds like July 15 is a good move in date

Nice! I really like the convenience of CT apartments but it looks pretty small so gonna look at a couple more options I think

Nice! I really like the convenience of CT apartments but it looks pretty small so gonna look at a couple more options I think

I'm likely to live in CT. I don't need much room. I'm gonna start looking for a roommate soon.

I was gonna do that but then Gia said she heavily advised against it so it left me not knowing what to do lol

California too! Riverside area if people know where that is. Stoked to go to a school in a bigger area, I'm currently doing my undergrad in Idaho in a city of about 20,000... ☹️

Initially I wanted to live in CT, but the area around there and the school isn't very safe and I'd like to live someplace I could take my dog outside for a walk at! Market Station has a dog walk around the complex so I'm really digging that lol

I'm a little worried about the safety there so that's why I figured being as close to school as possible would be best but maybe should rethink that

I'm a little worried about the safety there so that's why I figured being as close to school as possible would be best but maybe should rethink that

The walk to and from CT is fine, there are 24/7 campus security that help route the area and path between these two places :)

I mean I did my undergrad in the Bronx so clearly I'm not picky about my living situation

Advice to anyone coming to KCU or really any DO school: get started on your vaccinations as soon as possible. There's no such thing as too early. Some people last year lost their seats at KCU for not making the May 1 deadline.

Still looking but I'm leaning towards market station apartments right now! Going to KC next month to get a few tours to make sure.
Im checking out some places in Crossroads district and Westport...maybe looking at renting a house or townhome...cant imagine uttering that statement if i was going to a place like Chicago or something.

Im checking out some places in Crossroads district and Westport...maybe looking at renting a house or townhome...cant imagine uttering that statement if i was going to a place like Chicago or something.

Renting houses here isn't actually too bad. Check out Briarcliff, Cityview, Zona Rosa. Also KC downtown lofts work if you have a spouse that's working and they're pretty sweet.

where are you guys getting lab draws for the quantitative vaccine levels? I called lab corp and they had no idea what I was talking about

where are you guys getting lab draws for the quantitative vaccine levels? I called lab corp and they had no idea what I was talking about

I made an appointment with family medicine. Unfortunately I think I have to have them do it again though (the results page they mailed me looks qualitative ).

I made an appointment with family medicine. Unfortunately I think I have to have them do it again though (the results page they mailed me looks qualitative ).

yeah that seems to be the problem I'm having. no one knows what I'm talking about when I say qualitative

yeah that seems to be the problem I'm having. no one knows what I'm talking about when I say qualitative

I'd go to your PCP and have them write up the lab work request. They'll write on the sheet that it needs to be a quantitative titer. At least that's what mine did.

I'd go to your PCP and have them write up the lab work request. They'll write on the sheet that it needs to be a quantitative titer. At least that's what mine did.
I don't have a PCP established here haha I should probably get on that. Or else I'd have to fly home and do it

You can probably go to student health and just give them the paperwork.
that's who I called and they had no idea what quantitative was hah. I'll probably just go down there and see what they say

Still looking but I'm leaning towards market station apartments right now! Going to KC next month to get a few tours to make sure.

I lived at MS for 2 years and I know there were quite a few UMKC and KCU students there as well. It's a great place and in close proximity to downtown amenities. The only thing I hated was how they tried to raise rent $400 in 1 year. They probably raised it $600 in 2-3 years! If I had to stay in KC for clerkships I would probably have moved out to Quality Hill or something.

I lived at MS for 2 years and I know there were quite a few UMKC and KCU students there as well. It's a great place and in close proximity to downtown amenities. The only thing I hated was how they tried to raise rent $400 in 1 year. They probably raised it $600 in 2-3 years! If I had to stay in KC for clerkships I would probably have moved out to Quality Hill or something.
Are there any other places that students live that you'd recommend? I'd like to keep the rent below $1100 if possible!

Are there any other places that students live that you'd recommend? I'd like to keep the rent below $1100 if possible!

Altered_scale pretty much listed all the places I remember.

There is a realtor that works with KCU students for free. I forget her name. I would ask admissions for her contact if she's still around.

A bunch of us live a bit further north near Zona Rosa. Some nice places in your budget. About 15-20 minutes to campus.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hey everyone! I'm so excited to start at KCU next year! If anyone is interested in possibly living in CT apartments send me a PM, I'm currently looking for a roommate, and I figure now is a good time to start!

I like this thread a lot because it's all my future classmates and it's free of the grade replacement drama currently going on in the premed forum. I won't lie though, I'm really glad I got a chance to take advantage of replacing a couple courses before it went down the crapper.

Anyways, in regards to KCU, what do you guy like most about this school. I'm always interested in hearing why people with multiple acceptances picked the school that they did. It makes me proud of my future institution.

On the flip side, what are you guys most concerned/nervous about?

I'll answer these questions first.

The thing I like most about KCU was the high board scores. I know the curriculum is tough, but I kind of like that. Unlike when we were in undergrad, the stuff we learn is literally all super applicable and important to what we as future physicians will end up devoting our lives too. For that reason, it's crucial that we know everything we can about medicine. I'm glad they put us through the ringer because when (not if) we survive, we'll be good doctors for it. If board scores are a reflection of what you know, then I'm glad I'm going to a school that will force me to learn the most.

Moreover, I heard an analogy that medical school is like the army. In the army they treat you like **** and work you hard to break you down and then build you back up in the shape of a good soldier. I want that in a medical school. I want them to work me to the bone so that I lose all the bad habits I've built up over the years and get totally retired in the mood of a brilliant physician. I think a rigorous curriculum does that.

As for the things I'm anxious about, they're two fold. Firstly, naturally I am worried a bit about the work. I know I just praised it, but it will suck, and I hope I handle it well.

Secondly, I'm like terribly afraid of blood. For real, I passed out in high school once when we saw a YouTube video of a facelift in class. I also had to leave the room for a bit during the fetal pig dissection. So yeah, my squeamishness is bad. But like I said earlier, medical school will force me to get over that, and I'll come out better for it. It'll just suck at the beginning and I just don't wanna be the first person who passes out in the anatomy lab. For the first time in my life, I'm content with being second.

@cantcatchme
I really enjoyed KCU because of the city. I got accepted to a LUCOM in Virginia and it was a tiny town. I am currently doing my undergrad in Idaho in a city of 20,000 and am so tired of it. Given the option between going camping or going to a sports game, I would pick the sports game every single time. So that was a good factor for me.

The second reason is that I didn't want to limit myself to in specialties when the time came to it. While I was there the Dr that interviewed me told me straight up that KCU is the school you want to go to if you want a good shot at different specialties (along with 2 other schools). And that has been proven by their match rate. It also helps hat their campus what cool and the students were very friendly.

The thing I'm anxious about is having time to spend with my family. We have a baby boy that's due in early April and I want to spend every minute with him. I wish I could do that, but I know that med school is going to be a lot of work. I mean we have to take 25+ credits every semester, that's unheard of in your undergrad! So that is something I'll have to find a balance with, but I know it'll work out.

Sorry you are affected by the blood haha. That's going to be a big one for you to overcome. I've heard some people say that the squeamishness goes away within the first month or so though.

You know I was very apprehensive about blood as well when I first started thinking of pursuing medicine. Then I got the opportunity to go to the coroners office in my hometown and watch and even somewhat take part in a postmortem autopsy. I felt sick for about the first 20 minutes but I made myself stay there and reminded myself to look at the inside of the body and all the gore through a scientific lens as well as that of a future physician. After that, the next hour or so was an unbelievable experience as I got to hold almost all of the organs after they had been removed and even held the brain. Point is that you just need more and more exposure to the human body and then it'll start becoming less and less an issue!

As for why KCU, I wanted to go to a DO school that I felt would challenge me and also provide the best opportunity for me to specialize if I feel that I want to. On my interview the thing that stuck out to me are all the opportunities the school has for you to set yourself apart. Whether that's through an MBA, global health honors track, the two fellowships, or their new clinical honors track I could tell they cared about providing every avenue to their students to be the best they could be. Then I looked at the size of the campus and what it had to offer. Of the 4 places I was accepted, only WVSOM had a campus that could somewhat match that of KCU. This may not be a big deal to some, but the opportunity to have all of the resources that come from a big campus was important to me. I could go on, but the opportunity to go to school in a big city was a major draw. Like Spongebob I also have gone to an undergrad school in a very small town (10,000). Even though we have an MD program at our school I am turning down my II there simply because I cannot see myself there another 2-4 years (it would also cost me 25K more per year).

The only thing I am apprehensive about is the merger, but I believe that KCU is going to make us into very competitive applicants so all in all I'm very happy to be matriculating in the fall

Luckily I'm fine with blood. One thing I can't handle is being in a room with a drunk person covered in their own urine. Which is unfortunate since I really want to do emergency medicine haha

Exactly the same here. I will forgo MD to get out of a small town that I have never really fit into.

Haha, I'm in the opposite boat as you guys. I live in the SF Bay Area, KC feels kind of small to me. It's fine though, it's just big enough to where I'm sure I'll have everything I need lol

Haha, I'm in the opposite boat as you guys. I live in the SF Bay Area, KC feels kind of small to me. It's fine though, it's just big enough to where I'm sure I'll have everything I need lol

Being from California as well and having lived in the Midwest the past 4 years trust me KC is going to have everything you need. Plus I would be ecstatic to be getting out of the Bay Area if it were me

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the same boat here - from Jersey and did my undergrad in the Bronx so KC felt super small to me. I will have to get used to it, but excited to try something new and slightly out of my comfort zone!

I'm in the same boat here - from Jersey and did my undergrad in the Bronx so KC felt super small to me. I will have to get used to it, but excited to try something new and slightly out of my comfort zone!
Compared to NY, KC is definitely small...but in a lot of ways its alot like boston or portland...not so much build up high rises but so much to do in the surrounding areas