Western U - COMP Class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmsltechnician

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this won't get too much use once the facebook group gets made, but thought I'd start one for us SDNers in the meantime! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! Personally this is my top choice and I'm ecstatic and grateful to have the chance to follow my dreams.
:highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Are you set on going to Western, or still waiting to hear from some other schools?
Can't say either way right now, for mostly elusive reasons. Can anybody help me get more informed on their OMM fellowship? I'm highly interested, but their website page is very lacking in that department. I may just email some of their fellows if nothing else. On interview day, they said:

It's after year 2
They pay a stipend during fellowship year
Year 3 and 4 are tuition-comped

Did I understand the basics or am I remembering incorrectly?

Can't say either way right now, for mostly elusive reasons. Can anybody help me get more informed on their OMM fellowship? I'm highly interested, but their website page is very lacking in that department. I may just email some of their fellows if nothing else. On interview day, they said:

It's after year 2

I believe that is correct

Reactions: 1 user
Is it just me or is it difficult to find the COMP class of 2018 and 2019 threads? Or facebook pages? I wonder if the later classes are on some other media.

Is it just me or is it difficult to find the COMP class of 2018 and 2019 threads? Or facebook pages? I wonder if the later classes are on some other media.
I was able to find the class of 2019 fb page, but that might be because I have some friends who are current first years. I wonder when 2020's will be created...

Anyone else doing ISAC(?), the summer anatomy course?

I'm accepted to the Oregon campus. Don't see a separate thread so I'll just assume this is for both?

I made it for the Pomona campus, but up to you if you want to start a new one or just merge the two here! It seems like the previous years don't use these SDN threads much anyways so I doubt they'll get much use once school starts and fb groups get rolling.

Where is everyone living? Slim pickings on craigslist in the surrounding area. Looks like the best scenario will be a 2bd/2ba condo with a non-bat-****-crazy roommate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone staying at the Daumier? Currently, there is a 2br/2ba for 1,000.00 USD/month. That seems like a steal, given the amenities and on campus location. Not sure how thats possible, but that's what it says. Their 1br/1ba is 1,600.00USD/month.

Anyone staying at the Daumier? Currently, there is a 2br/2ba for 1,000.00 USD/month. That seems like a steal, given the amenities and on campus location. Not sure how thats possible, but that's what it says. Their 1br/1ba is 1,600.00USD/month.
I got a tour of the Daumier when I went to pay my deposit. The $1,000 for the 2br/2ba is PER PERSON and not the total (they assume that two people would room together). If one person were to rent out a 2br/2ba unit, they would be paying $2,000 per month. I had the same confusion until I went in and asked.

I got a tour of the Daumier when I went to pay my deposit. The $1,000 for the 2br/2ba is PER PERSON and not the total (they assume that two people would room together). If one person were to rent out a 2br/2ba unit, they would be paying $2,000 per month. I had the same confusion until I went in and asked.
Makes a lot more sense (or less?), thank you. What impression did you have of the Duamier? Even 1,000.00/month with everything included plus amenities doesn't seem so bad.

Makes a lot more sense (or less?), thank you. What impression did you have of the Duamier? Even 1,000.00/month with everything included plus amenities doesn't seem so bad.
I was only able to see a 1br/1 ba unit and it was VERY small. basically the size of a dorm room. As far as amenities, it's great. But, I don't like the size or price. You can get a much bigger 2br/2ba apartment and only have to pay about $700-800 per person.

Did anyone get an "acceptance withdrawal" email to their Western email despite not withdrawing their application? lol

I figured it was a mistake since I submit my deposit yesterday...

It's after year 2

Mostly correct. They pay a stipend during the fellowship, which begins during the third year of medical school. The teaching time is not done in one year but rather interspersed with rotations. The tuition subsidy also applies to teaching fellows in their fifth year.

Most of the fellows seem pretty happy and are genuinely good people. Unfortunately there were some irregularities with the selection process recently which indicate that the faculty is willing to ignore the rules of its own application process when it comes down to choosing candidates. It's still a really cool program, just be prepared to deal with departmental politics.

Where is everyone living? Slim pickings on craigslist in the surrounding area. Looks like the best scenario will be a 2bd/2ba condo with a non-bat-****-crazy roommate.
Consider La Verne, Diamond Bar, Chino Hills, or Chino as well as the other cities mentioned. I found good housing as a first year through the listings on Banweb. Check to see if they still do that.

Last edited:
Mostly correct. They pay a stipend during the fellowship, which begins during the third year of medical school. The teaching time is not done in one year but rather interspersed with rotations. The tuition subsidy also applies to teaching fellows in their fifth year.

Most of the fellows seem pretty happy and are genuinely good people. Unfortunately there were some irregularities with the selection process recently which indicate that the faculty is willing to ignore the rules of its own application process when it comes down to choosing candidates. It's still a really cool program, just be prepared to deal with departmental politics.

Consider La Verne, Diamond Bar, Chino Hills, or Chino as well as the other cities mentioned. I found good housing as a first year through the listings on Banweb. Check to see if they still do that.
Thank you so much for all the info @GUH. What was your living arrangement? Would you consider the Daumier?

Thank you so much for all the info @GUH. What was your living arrangement? Would you consider the Daumier?
Rented a house with other students and it worked well. I haven't spent much time in the Daumier but heard that it's pretty decent. You can't beat it for proximity to campus.

Rented a house with other students and it worked well. I haven't spent much time in the Daumier but heard that it's pretty decent. You can't beat it for proximity to campus.
Did you use the online service provided to find roommates? That is more or less what I'd like to do as well.

Also, is anyone here able to access the "Secure" area of Banweb yet? I don' think I can access the find a roommate function yet.

Last edited:
that's scary man... only Daumier emails recently

I sent them an email about it, and then I realized I forgot to submit one of the sheets with my deposit :eek: I feel like that might have been the issue. I planned on dropping the other sheet off next week before the deadline. Hopefully that'll solve that issue then

Any recently accepted students able to access banweb? Their new "YOU" portal system works, but the banweb tab does not, grr.

Does anyone know if they send some sort of confirmation notice after you mail in your deposit?

Does anyone know if they send some sort of confirmation notice after you mail in your deposit?
They did via the new school email you received (in the acceptance package). Check your mail.western.edu and it should be there.

Anyone know how or when we get access to the BanWeb, so we can find housing? I know it's still a while away, but just wanted to find out.

Anyone get any emails aside from welcome email, the Daumier and the 12/15 deposit confirmation?

What else did they send you? I haven't received any info re/ BanWeb login :(
The daumier, the deposit confirmation, and link to access the YouPortal. But, nothing about BanWeb yet.

Can someone please explain to me how those interviews are MMIs? Mine was just a panel interview with one person too few.

So I started looking for places to live, but I'm not familiar with Southern California. What areas should I be looking at for an apartment? I'm interested in 777 Place and Helix, but I'm willing to commute 15-25 mins from campus.

I've found that most places north of Interstate 10 and south of Foothill Blvd have reports of crime (cars broken into, bikes stolen, etc.).

The two most important things for me are safety and parking (I don't need to be driving around for 30 mins looking for a spot to park at my own place).

POTENTIAL ROOMMATES: Looking for someone to get an apartment in June for the year at the 777 2Br+2Ba. Send message if interested.

What would you like to talk about?
Boys :3

jk. I think most students are busy getting the serum titers and physicals done. And if my suspicions are correct, there is likely a commuter culture for most of the students since they live 15-30 minutes away. And if they actually accepted ~60 more students over the last few weeks, that would also explain the lack of talking.

Haha. We could talk about anything.

Quickly realizing my mistake must be not joining the facebook group. Can't remember the last time I used facebook. Guess I have to suck it up and log back in.

Btw, did you find housing yet? If so, where? I've been looking at Daumier or Helix, but I know I can find better places for the same or less if I'm willing to drive.

Posted using SDN Mobile
Gotcha. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to commute to school or live nearby and be further away from family/friends/etc.

I'm from NorCal so I won't be a commuter. I was thinking of staying at Daumier or Helix, at least for the first year, so that I could be around a lot of students in the beginning. I'd rather not worry about driving in the beginning. For second year though, I'd consider moving a little further away like the Claremont area or something.

Btw, I was stalking you and reading through your posts :) You're an international student, right? If you don't mind me asking, where are you from? Just curious.
I did not like my visit to both the Daumier and the Helix, but I understand that for some it may be a decent option.

That's correct, yes, technically I am an international student, even if I don't identify myself as such. I'm from Western Europe, let's leave it at that :p

Waiting on an application to get approved at El Sereno Apts. $1325 1 bdr with all utilities except internet and electricity paid. I'm married so the whole renting just a room thing is a no-no.

I'm also on Team Mystic and have noticed that most of the Pokemon gyms around campus are blue. Hell yeah. Heading to Santa Monica pier now to catch a billion Magikarp.

Reactions: 1 users