ACOM Class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where is everybody coming from?

• Alabama

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other Southeast

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Pacific Coast

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Desert

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rockies

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Rust Belt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Midwest

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Northeast

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Texas (probably deserves its own, right?)

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • International

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

williameb23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread for ACOM's 2020 class to connect before July. Congrats and I'm excited to meet all of you! Post any of your questions or comments about the matriculation packet, housing, waitlists, etc. As an OOS matriculant I'd love to hear what everybody is looking forward to at ACOM or saw in Dothan that they were excited about.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
the Facebook group has been pretty active if you haven't joined yet

Midwest reporting in!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Just poppin in to say hi from Maryland! I can't wait to start school. I'm super excited and nervous to move so far away from home. Can't wait to explore Dothan!!

Greetings from Utah! Looking forward to getting to know all of you!

From Dothan, and so happy to be staying here for awhile. Can't wait for July! Im excited about meeting all of you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

From Auburn, AL. Looking forward for this exciting new chapter with everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Scraping windows sucks, but I for one am going to miss the snow :( Having the beach be close though will be awesome.

Reactions: 1 users
Can someone explain how cold it gets there? I guess no snow from the posts above, but will it get in the 30s ever?

Can someone explain how cold it gets there? I guess no snow from the posts above, but will it get in the 30s ever?

daily_high_and_low_temperature_temperature_f.png

Last edited:
It could get in the 30s at night or even a couple nights in 20s (much more rare). Often winter isn't bad in that area if you are used to being further north.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Average low in the winter is in the 40s!!!!!

HOLY KAMOLY COUNT ME IN

Looking forward to July :happy:

Anyone here from the Valentine's interview weekend?

Anyone know if ACOM is going to send us info on the school affiliated health plan?

Anyone know if ACOM is going to send us info on the school affiliated health plan?
I was just wondering this same thing! I am going to lose my health insurance since I'm quitting my job shortly, so I need to sign up ASAP ha

I was just wondering this same thing! I am going to lose my health insurance since I'm quitting my job shortly, so I need to sign up ASAP ha

You should be able to continue your health coverage for another 1.5 years. I would personally just use it to not have gaps in coverage while I look for a better option because my current plan is very locally focused.

You should be able to continue your health coverage for another 1.5 years. I would personally just use it to not have gaps in coverage while I look for a better option because my current plan is very locally focused.
Sometimes the exchanges are cheaper than Cobra. If you have chronic med issues you definitely don't want a lapse in coverage.

Sometimes the exchanges are cheaper than Cobra. If you have chronic med issues you definitely don't want a lapse in coverage.

Haha wow, I didn't even mention COBRA at all...

Definitely a few beers in atm... :mooning:

I don't have any chronic med issues, just do the annual check ups and what not. I'm looking into how long the coverage will last after my last official date. It would be nice to have the insurance info from ACOM just so we all can start looking into it if needed.

I don't have any chronic med issues, just do the annual check ups and what not. I'm looking into how long the coverage will last after my last official date. It would be nice to have the insurance info from ACOM just so we all can start looking into it if needed.
During interview they mentioned they might switch to the ACA exchange as well. I'm sure they would tell you more if you emailed them.

During interview they mentioned they might switch to the ACA exchange as well. I'm sure they would tell you more if you emailed them.

Good idea. Maybe I'll shoot them an email tomorrow.

Anyone else unable to access their acom account?

Hey guys! I'm an accepted member of the 2021 class and I wanted to ask you guys if you knew whether or not ACOMs rotations are all preceptors or if there are some wards based rotations? Thanks!

Hey guys! I'm an accepted member of the 2021 class and I wanted to ask you guys if you knew whether or not ACOMs rotations are all preceptors or if there are some wards based rotations? Thanks!

It's a mix mate!

I thought I'd start a thread for ACOM's 2020 class to connect before July. Congrats and I'm excited to meet all of you! Post any of your questions or comments about the matriculation packet, housing, waitlists, etc. As an OOS matriculant I'd love to hear what everybody is looking forward to at ACOM or saw in Dothan that they were excited about.

Hello,

I was waitlisted for ACOM in January 2018. I talked to admissions and he told me I was in the top half and that ACOM usually takes about 30-40 people off their waitlist. Do any of you happen to know my odds of getting into the school? He said ACOM starts utilizing the waitlist in April. But I was wondering when does the BULK of this waitlist start to move?

Thanks!

For reference: MCAT 501, GPA 3.3, sGPA 3.1