KCU Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have any recommended electives for KC M3? They want us to rank them, but there's no mention of where they would be so I don't know which ones are inpatient/outpatient or if the same field could go both ways depending on which spot you get (ie, cardio could be either outpatient or inpatient depending on your luck).
It can go either way no way to control. My IM was all inpatient but cards (second IM technically) was 90% outpatient. If you're going IM for residency I'd email coordinator after you rank and tell them its imperative you get inpatient/resident ward based IM experience so they can swing it. I emailed my coordinators during dedicated when said no to contact and got all my EM selectives set up, while many of my friends were still struggling to get EM well into their 3rd year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It can go either way no way to control. My IM was all inpatient but cards (second IM technically) was 90% outpatient. If you're going IM for residency I'd email coordinator after you rank and tell them its imperative you get inpatient/resident ward based IM experience so they can swing it. I emailed my coordinators during dedicated when said no to contact and got all my EM selectives set up, while many of my friends were still struggling to get EM well into their 3rd year.
Not gonna lie, really glad I didn't have a reason to stay in KC. I've had all inpatient rotations except peds/fm.

Not gonna lie, really glad I didn't have a reason to stay in KC. I've had all inpatient rotations except peds/fm.
Every rotation I’ve had has been inpatient or at least mostly inpatient except FM and Peds and I’m in KC

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any recommended electives for KC M3? They want us to rank them, but there's no mention of where they would be so I don't know which ones are inpatient/outpatient or if the same field could go both ways depending on which spot you get (ie, cardio could be either outpatient or inpatient depending on your luck).

For IM at least:

If you didn't get it as a core rotation, I suggest rotating at the VA in Kansas City (vs Leavenworth). You will rotate with residents and medical students from KU Med. You will learn how to do a proper, formal presentation, and if you do well you will have faculty/residents to vouch for you. I would not have been at the level I am at now with presenting without having the residents really nitpick what I was doing. You will be doing only inpatient. Hours are 6am to whenever they're done. You will take weekend call.

Also, subspecialty electives with St Luke's, specifically pulmonary critical care, general medicine wards with the purple team (they will expect you to work on this team, take call, etc), gastroenterology (chair of medicine department is faculty here). You will do mainly inpatient here but may be allowed to do some outpatient with med teaching on general medicine which is great for patient FU after DC. You will take long call, and you will take weekend call for general medicine.

Finally, would also suggest interventional cardiology with Dr. Katrapati at providence medical center. You will be pushed hard on this elective but you will learn a tremendous amount of in terms of appreciating physical diagnosis, when and when not to utilize certain tests, and how to become very comfortable reading EKGs at the intern level. You will read a TON so just be ready to work work work with him. You will do a well balanced mix mix of outpatient clinic and inpatient. Hours are good you get there between 730-9 and get down between 2-4. Some days 5-6 but pretty rare. He will expect you to round with him on weekend once. If you can get some of his absurd pimping questions right he will let you off early.

I would also ask the coordinator for electives in HOSPITAL MEDICINE at either research medical center or NKC hospital (which are bigger sized community hospitals). This will give you a really good opportunity to handle patients in the inpatient setting and do admits. It's important to get a workload close to an intern as you enter 4th year (seeing 5+ patients, admitted 1-2, doing long call, learning how to do orders, learning how to work with other care teams for DC planning, etc).

• Love
For IM at least:

If you didn't get it as a core rotation, I suggest rotating at the VA in Kansas City (vs Leavenworth). You will rotate with residents and medical students from KU Med. You will learn how to do a proper, formal presentation, and if you do well you will have faculty/residents to vouch for you. I would not have been at the level I am at now with presenting without having the residents really nitpick what I was doing. You will be doing only inpatient. Hours are 6am to whenever they're done. You will take weekend call.

Also, subspecialty electives with St Luke's, specifically pulmonary critical care, general medicine wards with the purple team (they will expect you to work on this team, take call, etc), gastroenterology (chair of medicine department is faculty here). You will do mainly inpatient here but may be allowed to do some outpatient with med teaching on general medicine which is great for patient FU after DC. You will take long call, and you will take weekend call for general medicine.

bleh none of that sounds fun!!

For IM at least:

Finally, would also suggest interventional cardiology with Dr. Katrapati at providence medical center. You will be pushed hard on this elective but you will learn a tremendous amount of in terms of appreciating physical diagnosis, when and when not to utilize certain tests, and how to become very comfortable reading EKGs at the intern level. You will read a TON so just be ready to work work work with him. You will do a well balanced mix mix of outpatient clinic and inpatient. Hours are good you get there between 730-9 and get down between 2-4. Some days 5-6 but pretty rare. He will expect you to round with him on weekend once. If you can get some of his absurd pimping questions right he will let you off early.

I would also ask the coordinator for electives in HOSPITAL MEDICINE at either research medical center or NKC hospital (which are bigger sized community hospitals). This will give you a really good opportunity to handle patients in the inpatient setting and do admits. It's important to get a workload close to an intern as you enter 4th year (seeing 5+ patients, admitted 1-2, doing long call, learning how to do orders, learning how to work with other care teams for DC planning, etc).
Thank you for writing this and making it so detailed. Seriously, it is SO appreciated. Unfortunately they just have us ranking the fields we'd be interested in. So, like "cardiology" or "endocrine" or whatever. Nothing more specific like who it's with or if it's inpatient or outpatient. But, your thoughts will definitely be super helpful when we get to that point.

Hope everything turns out well for you with the match!

Oof, sorry to hear that. Any word on what you should do for now?
All 3/4 year rotations have been suspended likely until the end of April. We're looking at online coursework in public health it seems.

End of April? Well I guess Step 2 CK/Comlex CE dedicated starts early...

Do you guys remember if zanki and sketchy covered enough of skin/blood/lymph to pass the tests? With classes going p/f I'm struggling to bring myself to try and decipher what puthoff wants us to find in robbins....

Do you guys remember if zanki and sketchy covered enough of skin/blood/lymph to pass the tests? With classes going p/f I'm struggling to bring myself to try and decipher what puthoff wants us to find in robbins....
Puthoff won't ask anything in Robbins thats not in his slides typically. Just use his slides and Robbins/Outline to reference anything in his slides. Anything in Robbins thats not in his slides you can punt

Members don't see this ad :)
is SBL hard? we just got outta Neuro psych and MSK and they were a joke compared to our blocks first semester. Trying to see how hard I can go on boards stuff

is SBL hard? we just got outta Neuro psych and MSK and they were a joke compared to our blocks first semester. Trying to see how hard I can go on boards stuff
I thought Heme/onc was the hardest class of second semester my second year (compared to endo/repro, MSk, psych). had the highest curve of any second semester courses. around 10% I think

Same. Considered just fully ignoring class material (I never watch Puthoff stuff and just read outlines) but a part of me is nervous making the jump to abandon outlines.

Same. Considered just fully ignoring class material (I never watch Puthoff stuff and just read outlines) but a part of me is nervous making the jump to abandon outlines.

I gave it an honest shot to read puthoff's slides.. is this stuff comprehensible to other people? It just seems like random screen clippings and information jumbled together on a slide with no actual coherent material being taught. I legitimately do not know how to prepare for this test because even his LOs are vague and out of order.

I gave it an honest shot to read puthoff's slides.. is this stuff comprehensible to other people? It just seems like random screen clippings and information jumbled together on a slide with no actual coherent material being taught. I legitimately do not know how to prepare for this test because even his LOs are vague and out of order.
Yeah unless you want to watch his 6 hours of lecture or however long it is, his slides are useless.

I completely ignore his material on every exam that he (or Dobson) teach for and it usually works out fine. I normally only come to CISs, but this time since they aren't being separately recorded and it's P/F I'm not bothering. I suggest the outlines, Pathoma, and Anki.

Going to stick to pathoma and anki. only issue is that there are so many cards, almost 1500, that I'm basically putting board stuff on hold for a week. not to happy about that

Going to stick to pathoma and anki. only issue is that there are so many cards, almost 1500, that I'm basically putting board stuff on hold for a week. not to happy about that
Zanki works bud. Do all the cards, as well as make cards specific to the lectures. Then after the exam, just suspend/delete the cards that are too low yield. You are still doing board study with Zanki.

Zanki works bud. Do all the cards, as well as make cards specific to the lectures. Then after the exam, just suspend/delete the cards that are too low yield. You are still doing board study with Zanki.
the only upside lol. The real issue is I wont be able to do my reviews for a week. gunna have a fat stack of cards on monday

Damn this is a throw back.
However I remember that putoff’s questions were generally reasonably fair

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Damn this is a throw back.
However I remember that putoff’s questions were generally reasonably fair

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Typically he has followed pathoma almost exactly, this last exam though.... whoof Ended up doing fine but it felt like the worst exam i've ever taken. IDK if there was some cheating going on or if they threw out a bunch of questions because the average was much higher than anyone expected.

Any tips for MOD? There are Robins outlines someone made but every chapter outline is 30 pages long, so it's basically reading Robins chapters. We're 3 days into MOD and we've already gone over chapters 2,3 and a lecture on hematopoesis and peripheral smear. I do not know how reading 30 pages worth of material is sustainable almost every day; some weekend to catch up, but even then that is ridiculous.

I am just doing the lecture slides and watching the recordings, and if something is directly stated like "go read this in the book", I am doing that. Is that enough?

every chapter outline is 30 pages long, so it's basically reading Robins chapters.
Lol. Have fun.
Those outlines are great.
CIS, Zanki, slides, pathoma, outline, robbins practice questions. There you go.

Any tips for MOD? There are Robins outlines someone made but every chapter outline is 30 pages long, so it's basically reading Robins chapters. We're 3 days into MOD and we've already gone over chapters 2,3 and a lecture on hematopoesis and peripheral smear. I do not know how reading 30 pages worth of material is sustainable almost every day; some weekend to catch up, but even then that is ridiculous.

I am just doing the lecture slides and watching the recordings, and if something is directly stated like "go read this in the book", I am doing that. Is that enough?
Welcome to med school. Again.

Typically he has followed pathoma almost exactly, this last exam though.... whoof Ended up doing fine but it felt like the worst exam i've ever taken. IDK if there was some cheating going on or if they threw out a bunch of questions because the average was much higher than anyone expected.

I'm sure some people cheated, some didn't. I was utterly clueless on a lot of that test and wound up getting a fine grade so I also wonder if some questions were thrown out.

My first piece of advice is that you should never rely on the lecture slides if puthoff or dobson is teaching. They don't include a lot of testable information and seem to just incorporate things into their slides without much rhyme or reason. This carries on throughout all of 2nd year as well. Singh is great, martin isn't bad but her slides are a dense and hard to read.

Second piece of advice is that if anki works for you, cram zanki and then just read the chapter outlines. Whoever made those is an angel from heaven. So much of the bolded/red items in those outlines were on our tests, so pay attention to those. I basically just did zanki and skimmed those outlines multiple times = A's throughout 2nd year. I started off the year making my own flashcards but quickly realized the outlines + zanki were more than enough. I also stopped going to the CIS sessions after MOD and never saw a dip in my grades. You spend 3 hours going over a handful of questions when you could finish all of zanki for the day and do 30 questions on your own in that same amount of time.

Might as well add, 30 pages seems like a lot in the outlines, but they are easily skimmed. 1 page of robbins takes as long to read as 5 pages of the outline. I studied a lot less in 2nd year than 1st, and I did better in class, so don't get too discouraged in MOD.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sure some people cheated, some didn't. I was utterly clueless on a lot of that test and wound up getting a fine grade so I also wonder if some questions were thrown out.

My first piece of advice is that you should never rely on the lecture slides if puthoff or dobson is teaching. They don't include a lot of testable information and seem to just incorporate things into their slides without much rhyme or reason. This carries on throughout all of 2nd year as well. Singh is great, martin isn't bad but her slides are a dense and hard to read.

Second piece of advice is that if anki works for you, cram zanki and then just read the chapter outlines. Whoever made those is an angel from heaven. So much of the bolded/red items in those outlines were on our tests, so pay attention to those. I basically just did zanki and skimmed those outlines multiple times = A's throughout 2nd year. I started off the year making my own flashcards but quickly realized the outlines + zanki were more than enough. I also stopped going to the CIS sessions after MOD and never saw a dip in my grades. You spend 3 hours going over a handful of questions when you could finish all of zanki for the day and do 30 questions on your own in that same amount of time.

Might as well add, 30 pages seems like a lot in the outlines, but they are easily skimmed. 1 page of robbins takes as long to read as 5 pages of the outline. I studied a lot less in 2nd year than 1st, and I did better in class, so don't get too discouraged in MOD.
Thanks man

Dr. Martin will always include everything you need on the slide. Trust her slides, but everyone else you need to zanki/pathoma/sketchy it up. At least skim the outlines and pay attention to the highlights and bolds.

Did you still read Robbins or just the outlines (or both)?

Second piece of advice is that if anki works for you, cram zanki and then just read the chapter outlines. Whoever made those is an angel from heaven. So much of the bolded/red items in those outlines were on our tests, so pay attention to those. I basically just did zanki and skimmed those outlines multiple times = A's throughout 2nd year
Can confirm, also A's throughout 2nd year here solely reading the outlines multiple times + Zanki/lolnotacop + Pathoma + Sketchy. Have never once opened a single Putthoff or Dobson lecture or powerpoint.

every chapter outline is 30 pages long, so it's basically reading Robins chapters.
Also want to comment on this: it's not really like reading Robbins at all. Robbins is way more dense, smaller font, etc. You're talking about 30 pages written on word in big font. It's definitely not as long.

No Robbins. Ever. The outlines are all you need.
Damn that pretty awesome, I guess since its pass fail right now I can just try this and see if it works for me. I'm just so used to watching lectures its kinda weird to change it up that much. But thanks for the advice y'all

Damn that pretty awesome, I guess since its pass fail right now I can just try this and see if it works for me. I'm just so used to watching lectures its kinda weird to change it up that much. But thanks for the advice y'all
So, I'll expand a little more: I watched lectures if it was Martin or Singh. Singh is an amazing lecturer and her powerpoints are clear and have everything you need to know. Martin also includes all the info on her slides, but they're insanely dense. Either way, when those 2 were teaching I would typically only read the outlines 1-2x and then just keep reviewing their powerpoint slides. I never watched or paid any attention to Dobson or Putthoff (outside of CIS sessions) because their lectures just suck...there's barely any info on their slides and it's a mess. I was given the advice to completely ignore them by upperclassmen, and I was also wary of it at first, but I'm so glad I did it. For them, I'd typically try to have 3 passes of the outlines by test day. That was enough for me to pick up all the minutiae and get A's throughout the year. If you're just trying to pass, you can definitely go over the outlines less.

So, I'll expand a little more: I watched lectures if it was Martin or Singh. Singh is an amazing lecturer and her powerpoints are clear and have everything you need to know. Martin also includes all the info on her slides, but they're insanely dense. Either way, when those 2 were teaching I would typically only read the outlines 1-2x and then just keep reviewing their powerpoint slides. I never watched or paid any attention to Dobson or Putthoff (outside of CIS sessions) because their lectures just suck...there's barely any info on their slides and it's a mess. I was given the advice to completely ignore them by upperclassmen, and I was also wary of it at first, but I'm so glad I did it. For them, I'd typically try to have 3 passes of the outlines by test day. That was enough for me to pick up all the minutiae and get A's throughout the year. If you're just trying to pass, you can definitely go over the outlines less.
Ok I see that what I'll do then, and I'm assuming you also used pathoma/sketchy/ etc. and just unsuspended the cards from Zanki for it?

Ok I see that what I'll do then, and I'm assuming you also used pathoma/sketchy/ etc. and just unsuspended the cards from Zanki for it?
Yes. I have the original Zanki before the AnkiKing overhaul, so mine is sorted into subdecks based on system (like respiratory path, cardio path, etc). I'd just unsuspend the entire path deck for whatever block we were in. For Sketchy I used both the Zanki pharm deck and the lolnotacop deck and unsuspended all the cards that were in the Sketchy videos I was watching for class. Divide number of cards needed to be done by days until ~1 week to 5 days before exam, do x amount of cards per day.

If anyone else needs any more convincing that you don't need Robbins, I didn't open it once this year and passed every class comfortably.

Sketchy path (with premade Anki deck) -> Make Anki cards of bolded/emphasized points on outlines (for Dobson and Puthoff)/Powerpoint slides (for Martin and Singh) -> Robbins Practice Q's

I second watching Singh's lecture if you want to get the most out of them/have the time. All of the info is there on the slides, but she's just such a great teacher that I felt guilty not watching.

Edit: Sketchy path Anki deck that I use is Conaanaa's

^^ Everything they said. Stopped reading Robbins after mod and had no problems on the tests. Sketchy micro is also fine to pass the micro test in mod, especially now that it's p/f. That was the one test in med school where I 100% avoided any and all school material.

Dr. Martin will always include everything you need on the slide. Trust her slides, but everyone else you need to zanki/pathoma/sketchy it up. At least skim the outlines and pay attention to the highlights and bolds.

She's good, but her lectures are deeeense. To the point where I sometimes don't even know what she's trying to say because she abrv wds so mch. She also has a habit of just putting the name of something on the slide and then not explaining it at all. But all said and done, I appreciated her efforts to include everything rather than just opening up a random page of robbins and making a slide on some odd sentence like some others seem to do.

Reactions: 3 users
Soooo....how annoying and/or difficult are the TTC self-directed modules? Not looking forward to 110 quizzes lol

Soooo....how annoying and/or difficult are the TTC self-directed modules? Not looking forward to 110 quizzes lol
And I thought our TTC was bad xD
It shouldn't be hard, it also isn't useful because you'll forget everything by the time you need it.

^^ Everything they said. Stopped reading Robbins after mod and had no problems on the tests. Sketchy micro is also fine to pass the micro test in mod, especially now that it's p/f. That was the one test in med school where I 100% avoided any and all school material.

She's good, but her lectures are deeeense. To the point where I sometimes don't even know what she's trying to say because she abrv wds so mch. She also has a habit of just putting the name of something on the slide and then not explaining it at all. But all said and done, I appreciated her efforts to include everything rather than just opening up a random page of robbins and making a slide on some odd sentence like some others seem to do.
Martain moved from my fave to my least fave by the end of the year. We just dont have time to study what she gives us. I started to appreciate puthoff and Dobson more because they typically followed board stuff or at least had a pattern of what they wanted us to know

What I'm expecting is KCU to come up with an online alternative to whichever type of rotation ends up being cancelled. If your audition rotation becomes cancelled then we'll probably complete some 'online' course so the registrar or whoever can check off the completed graduation requirements. They're not going to change the 3 sub-I requirements but they will *hopefully* ensure we can fulfill them one way or another.

I was wondering if anyone could offer guidance on my lease for next year (rising 2nd year). I was thinking it would be good to extend my lease until just after boards, giving me a quiet controlled space for dedicated. so my question is when should I extend my lease until? currently it goes until June 30. our global schedule they gave us has BLS/ACLS and transition to clerkship class going through May 21 and a week after that is blocked out for mock NBOME exam. should I plan for dedicated to start May 31, putting my test date around July 12? or is it feasible to get some decent studying in during the weeks where they have a few things scheduled?

thanks for any input you can provide!

If you extend it'll be a month by month basis, so it wont matter. You'll pay for all of July. If you plan on staying in Joplin to take boards you should make sure your lease goes until August 1st, that way if you need to push boards back at all you don't have to also worry about finding housing