KCOM vs KCUMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MChem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted into both of these great schools. I know some people do not like these threads and this decision is mine alone. I just want people's opinions on the programs. I can weigh the living situations myself but when it comes to comparing the programs they both have even pros and cons. KCOM with its great reputation seems to be the way to go but I love KCUMB dual degree program. For now I want to specialize so I need to be conscious of matching, KCOM ratios seem to match more in specialty than primary care. Both good rotations I don't worry about that. Class size...is a killer, KCOM I believe around 150 KCUMB 250 (HUGE)! As you can see it's complicated and I have less than 2 weeks to decide :) any input good or bad is appreciated. Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I just want people's opinions on the programs.

Ok, KCOM is awesome. I don't know anything about KCUMB except that it's in Kansas City.

Do you have any specific questions?

For me it was a pretty clear cut decision. KCUMB is in a city..KCOM middle of nowhere. I had to zoom out on google maps 5 times before seeing the closes city and I can't handle that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also liked the smaller class size at KCOM, however I think next year is the first year of the dental program being on campus so I thought with those added students it might lose some of that small class feel. I really liked both schools. I think the KCOM reputation is probably stronger, though I know successful graduates of both programs. Good luck making your decision!

Class size isn't a big deal. You're going to have your group of friends regardless.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Personally I LOVE the genesis (systems based) curriculum at KCUMB and I loved it. I felt like they had a great program. I like that they're decreasing the number of core sites so they can focus more on the quality of those sites and better monitor/control them.

I am interviewing at KCOM on Monday so I can't comment much about it until then. For me KCOM may win me over just based on the opportunity to move back to Utah for years 3 and 4 because that would allow my wife/kids to be close to family while I'm gone for away rotations.

BTW this thread goes in the "school specific discussions."

For me it was a pretty clear cut decision. KCUMB is in a city..KCOM middle of nowhere. I had to zoom out on google maps 5 times before seeing the closes city and I can't handle that.

LoL, so true.

Very true. Being from CA, I just can't imagine living in a place like Kirksville.

I know nothing about the programs except that KCUMB does the genesis curriculum. I can tell you KCUMB is my number one choice when I apply since its a 35 minute drive from my house to campus and I like the idea of the genesis curriculum from what information Ive read.

I'm literally having this dilemma right now too...I am going to need to go take a second look at the schools... its a lot different feeling when you are there nervous and anxious on interview day and touring, then when you are accepted to both and now get to really look at the school. you really can't go wrong with both school. Its kind of annoying when people say "I can't possibly live in a place like Kirksville" because its so small. Its for 2 years, suck it up then move elsewhere.

I'm literally having this dilemma right now too...I am going to need to go take a second look at the schools... its a lot different feeling when you are there nervous and anxious on interview day and touring, then when you are accepted to both and now get to really look at the school. you really can't go wrong with both school. Its kind of annoying when people say "I can't possibly live in a place like Kirksville" because its so small. Its for 2 years, suck it up then move elsewhere.

Why would it be annoying? If an applicant has been fortunate enough to get into multiple, equally good schools, the need to "suck it up" diminishes and factoring in location preference to make the final decision is a good move.

Why would it be annoying? If an applicant has been fortunate enough to get into multiple, equally good schools, the need to "suck it up" diminishes and factoring in location preference to make the final decision is a good move.

I dont think the location for 2 years should be a big determining factor. KCOM has a lot to offer.

I dont think the location for 2 years should be a big determining factor. KCOM has a lot to offer.

Its definitely not the most important factor but what I was trying to say was that when choosing between two schools that both have a lot to offer (KCUMB vs. KCOM), factoring in what location one prefers to be in is not a bad way of going about things.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think location of the school/rotation sites would be one of the better ways to decide between these two actually.

I would think location of the school/rotation sites would be one of the better ways to decide between these two actually.

Location of the school and rotation sites are often very different for DO schools.

Some of the reasons I chose KCOM over a handful of other schools have already been said above by you and others. I'm going to preface this with I know nothing about KCUMB, at all; as I never applied there post-primary.

1. Security/quality of rotation sites; between my other choices I felt this was a big one. Although I don't know anything about KCUMB's sites; other than they seem to be in a lot of the same states as KCOM looking at their list. EDIT: Looking more at KCUMBs site list, they share many of the same sites with KCOM, so this is probably a non-issue between the two schools. Unless you are from Utah (KCOM) or Colorado (KCUMB) and want to go back.

2. Reputation of KCOM around the country; a lot of pre-meds on SDN keep saying reputation doesn't matter, and I agree to an extent. But every single doc that I work with and that I consulted for advice on my decision, knew exactly what KCOM was; but had no clue about who AZCOM/UNE/Western was. To me this mattered a lot. I'm not looking for a debate about reputation, reputation and recognition is something I value highly.

3. Small class size, availability of clinical and basic science research, good facilities, strong sense of community and dedication of the school to promoting a great image of everything it is involved in.

One of my coworkers will actually be attending KCUMB next year, and I think KCUMB is a great school.

Either way you cannot go wrong picking between KCUMB and KCOM.

Last edited:
Location of the school and rotation sites are often very different for DO schools.

I meant the location of the school and the location of rotation sites are potentially the largest difference between the schools (although admittedly I know nothing of KCOMs rotation sites). I wasn't implying there are the same location.

I meant the location of the school and the location of rotation sites are potentially the largest difference between the schools (although admittedly I know nothing of KCOMs rotation sites). I wasn't implying there are the same location.

Oh well then yes I agree.

The only thing that should matter is rotation sites and tuition. They basically share most of their rotation sites. However, at KCUMB if you stay locally you get to rotate through larger city hospitals such as KU, st.lukes, truman, childrens, etc. I think most of KCOM's rotations are at small community hospitals. Being in a large city(if you want to call K.C. a large city) is going to provide you many more opportunities than being in the middle of nowhere. In general KCUMB has a good relationship with the 2 MD schools and their residencies. Check the match lists and see how many KCUMB students match at those 2 institutions. The other thing I personally didn't like about KCOM was they spent way more time on OMT. Both are excellent schools. People often don't realize that KCUMB, KCOM, and DMU share a lot of rotation sites so it doesn't matter that much if picking between those 3.

:confused:

how much time does kcumb spend on OTM every week?

Yeah, interesting. I'd like to know as well, just for kicks. I started a thread about this before at the med students forum. At CCOM it's 3 hours a week. KCOM can't be that much more than that.

Completely agree. Two years is nothing, and KCOM is a wonderful school (hence why I chose it).

KCOM can't be that much more than that.

exactly. it's only 3-4 hours per week (tuesday/thursday 1-2 hours). i'm curious to know how much time that poster thought we are in OMM lab.

I honestly think it comes down to I want an MBA as well. I don't even like big cities but I like opportunity to rotate at big hospitals. I have also recently added another school to the top of my list. This is a really tough process and I am thankful to have some choices. I now believe it's KCUMB vs new choice. KCOM is a great school though I really felt welcome :) thank you all for your opinions

I honestly think it comes down to I want an MBA as well. I don't even like big cities but I like opportunity to rotate at big hospitals. I have also recently added another school to the top of my list. This is a really tough process and I am thankful to have some choices. I now believe it's KCUMB vs new choice. KCOM is a great school though I really felt welcome :) thank you all for your opinions

:luck:

for the sake of clarity on this thread, KCOM has plenty of large academic/training centers for rotations. I'm looking at a 600+ bed hospital for 3rd year. kirksville being a small town is not representative of our rotation sites.

I agree MedPR :) .. I have been accepted to multiple locations and tbh I am not a fan of moving back to a small town, but 2 years isn't that long and KCOM has so much to offer, I think I can 'suck it up' and live in a small town rather than a city when its one of the most reputable DO schools.

for the sake of clarity on this thread, KCOM has plenty of large academic/training centers for rotations. I'm looking at a 600+ bed hospital for 3rd year. kirksville being a small town is not representative of our rotation sites.

I have a question regarding research opportunities. I've worked in research for the past 5 years and would like opportunities to get involved some more. At KCUMB they have the stage 1 through 4 human clinical trials and being in a city and collaborating with other medical schools I was told during my interview that they would even allow me to bring some of my research with me, if my current PI was interested.

The only thing that worries me about KCOM is I won't have these opportunities. I always said I wanted to go to KCOM because I have so much research background, It would be really refreshing to gain more clinical and shadowing experience, something I think my application has lacked. I could always go back to WashU between MS1 and MS2 and work the lab I have worked in.

I am so confused! I went to KCUMB in Sept and then KCOM the first week in Oct. I immediately liked the feeling at KCOM better. However now reading these forums, talking to people at my work, doing research by myself.. I am more undecided then ever. My boyfriend was accepted to KCOM but he has 2 more MD interviews to go.. realistically it is looking like no matter what we will be about 3 hours from eachother, and I don't want to say that the distance between us is important in my decision, but it would be nice if it was less than more!

I definitely plan on putting down both deposits and revisiting each school-- I am more stressed up making up my mind then getting an acceptance! ;)

Class size isn't a big deal. You're going to have your group of friends regardless.

Exactly, med schools can be like high school all over again.

I dont think the location for 2 years should be a big determining factor.
It shouldn't, you will be plenty busy.

I am so confused! I went to KCUMB in Sept and then KCOM the first week in Oct. I immediately liked the feeling at KCOM better...

This here is what you should be determining you choice off of, well, and add in clinical rotation sites as well. Both KCUMB and KCOM are great schools, they have a similar curriculum structure, and are both well known schools. What it should really come down to is when you were at the schools, which one did you feel better at...

Exactly, med schools can be like high school all over again.

It shouldn't, you will be plenty busy.

This here is what you should be determining you choice off of, well, and add in clinical rotation sites as well. Both KCUMB and KCOM are great schools, they have a similar curriculum structure, and are both well known schools. What it should really come down to is when you were at the schools, which one did you feel better at...

I wish I didn't feel the best at the most expensive shool I interviewed at. Fail.

The only thing that worries me about KCOM is I won't have these opportunities.

Why is that? There are plenty of research opportunities. Aside from the A.T. Still Research Institute (primarily OMM research), there are opportunities with most of the faculty (phys, biochem, micro, etc.) to get involved with research. Plus, we have a M.S. program where the students get involved with a lot of research too. I'm not saying we are a research powerhouse, but as of 2007 (latest data I could find) we had $3 million for funding research.

If you are interested, the opportunities are there.

Last edited:
I wish I didn't feel the best at the most expensive shool I interviewed at. Fail.

:cry: I try and forget that I live in debt...

Big deal for me. I went to a smaller university over big well known schools and was very close to my professors. I do want want to be just a mere number in the crowd. I feel smaller classes are better.

Also if like to add location isn't a factor for me. I actually dislike big cities more than small towns. That was not a part of my decision as stated in the first post. It came down to I felt more comfortable at KCUMB and I can get my MBA. Now my next school (rvu) I felt even more comfortable at but no MBA. This process is the WORST! And I'm poor so I can't put multiple deposits down I can Barely make one :/

Some of the reasons I chose KCOM over a handful of other schools have already been said above by you and others. I'm going to preface this with I know nothing about KCUMB, at all; as I never applied there post-primary.

1. Security/quality of rotation sites; between my other choices I felt this was a big one. Although I don't know anything about KCUMB's sites; other than they seem to be in a lot of the same states as KCOM looking at their list. EDIT: Looking more at KCUMBs site list, they share many of the same sites with KCOM, so this is probably a non-issue between the two schools. Unless you are from Utah (KCOM) or Colorado (KCUMB) and want to go back.

2. Reputation of KCOM around the country; a lot of pre-meds on SDN keep saying reputation doesn't matter, and I agree to an extent. But every single doc that I work with and that I consulted for advice on my decision, knew exactly what KCOM was; but had no clue about who AZCOM/UNE/Western was. To me this mattered a lot. I'm not looking for a debate about reputation, reputation and recognition is something I value highly.

3. Small class size, availability of clinical and basic science research, good facilities, strong sense of community and dedication of the school to promoting a great image of everything it is involved in.

One of my coworkers will actually be attending KCUMB next year, and I think KCUMB is a great school.

Either way you cannot go wrong picking between KCUMB and KCOM.

Thanks for your insight :)

Big deal for me. I went to a smaller university over big well known schools and was very close to my professors. I do want want to be just a mere number in the crowd. I feel smaller classes are better.

Then the things you should be looking at are professor to student ratio and the amount of students that actually go to lecture.

KCUMB could have a bigger class, but if KCOM requires attendance and KCUMB doesn't, then the amount of people in the classroom will be greater at KCOM and you're more likely to be just a "mere number in the crowd". Either way, this is medical school, not undergrad and I doubt you will be buried in a crowd of 250 unless you want to be.

Attendance is more or less required at KCUMB according the student ambassadors. Attendance is taken at random (several times a week) and you start losing points or something like that if you are below 80% attendance.

Don't mark my words 100% on this, maybe a current KCUMB student would be good to ask to clarify, but it definitely exists.

:thumbup:

I was going to say, dismissing KCOM because of lack of big hospital affiliations is as absurd as it is factually incorrect.

For reference: http://www.atsu.edu/kcom/admissions/pdfs/SiteGuide.pdf

Attendance is more or less required at KCUMB according the student ambassadors. Attendance is taken at random (several times a week) and you start losing points or something like that if you are below 80% attendance.

Don't mark my words 100% on this, maybe a current KCUMB student would be good to ask to clarify, but it definitely exists.

This is true. At my interview, we were told that attendance is absolutely required at KCUMB. If I remember correctly, they have sign-in sheets to monitor this. For me personally, the required attendance was a major negative point about KCUMB.

:cry: I try and forget that I live in debt...

Just saw this. I hope that works for me.

This is true. At my interview, we were told that attendance is absolutely required at KCUMB. If I remember correctly, they have sign-in sheets to monitor this. For me personally, the required attendance was a major negative point about KCUMB.

Glad I canceled my interview if that's true.

Glad I canceled my interview if that's true.

Hah.

Yeah it's actually a pretty big negative. Even if you think to yourself "Hey now, I'm forking over 200k for this education, I should at least have the motivation to haul myself out of bed at 7am every day to attend lecture" it doesn't change the fact that you're essentially being treated like children.

In a nutshell...
Going to lecture every day is (probably) a good decision.
Being forced to? Not so much.

Hah.

Yeah it's actually a pretty big negative. Even if you think to yourself "Hey now, I'm forking over 200k for this education, I should at least have the motivation to haul myself out of bed at 7am every day to attend lecture" it doesn't change the fact that you're essentially being treated like children.

In a nutshell...
Going to lecture every day is (probably) a good decision.
Being forced to? Not so much.

As a KCUMB student it isn't really a big deal. Its a sign in sheet, not GPS ankle bracelets, its pretty easy to get around it if going to class really is that much of a drag on you. Plus they are looking into alternatives such as having watching the lectures online count as attendance. But yeah I get how it can seem like we are being babied.

According to the admin the attendance change was because they were told they had to take attendance in order for the students to be eligible for federal loans....so either they are lying to us or you are going to soon be seeing every school requiring attendance...I would go with the latter.

In choosing between the schools I would probably let location guide your decision. Both schools are great and will make you an excellent doctor, go where you will be happiest. I personally could never live in in kirksville, but other people may feel the same way about kansas city.

I respectfully disagree. I think location should be considered a very minor factor.

Sure, if two schools are almost identical in reputation, opportunity, average indebtedness, and personal "vibe" then by all means go to the better location.

But as others have said multiple times, we are talking about two years of your life. That's it. Unless you have a family with young kids, location should not be *driving* your decision.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

As a KCUMB student it isn't really a big deal. Its a sign in sheet, not GPS ankle bracelets, its pretty easy to get around it if going to class really is that much of a drag on you. Plus they are looking into alternatives such as having watching the lectures online count as attendance. But yeah I get how it can seem like we are being babied.

According to the admin the attendance change was because they were told they had to take attendance in order for the students to be eligible for federal loans....so either they are lying to us or you are going to soon be seeing every school requiring attendance...I would go with the latter.

In choosing between the schools I would probably let location guide your decision. Both schools are great and will make you an excellent doctor, go where you will be happiest. I personally could never live in in kirksville, but other people may feel the same way about kansas city.

Take attendance for federal loans? Lol cmon now.

Then the things you should be looking at are professor to student ratio and the amount of students that actually go to lecture.

KCUMB could have a bigger class, but if KCOM requires attendance and KCUMB doesn't, then the amount of people in the classroom will be greater at KCOM and you're more likely to be just a "mere number in the crowd". Either way, this is medical school, not undergrad and I doubt you will be buried in a crowd of 250 unless you want to be.

Best believe I would be the loser front row, front and center..half because I wanna be seen and half because I don't want to squint way in the back :)

Best believe I would be the loser front row, front and center..half because I wanna be seen and half because I don't want to squint way in the back :)

Nothing wrong with that. My girlfriend is like you in that regard and her class size is around 180. She didn't have a problem.

Can a current KCUMB student please let me know how the feel of the city is? I was only there a day and left right afterwards. Do you feel like you are living urban? The ironic contrast in KCOM and KCUMB living is astonishing actually. Super rural vs. Super urban. I have to say if I was going to choose on location, I would choose RVU 100%. I personally do not like Kirksville or Kansas City. I know living shouldnt be that important but I have first hand seen how living in a bad situation has cost me my grades (aka my MCAT). On another note, I was told that places go FAST in Kirksville and you have to grab houses up months before you move ( I was told Feb.). That seems frightening that I could choose a school but not have somewhere to live also.

I respectfully disagree. I think location should be considered a very minor factor.

Sure, if two schools are almost identical in reputation, opportunity, average indebtedness, and personal "vibe" then by all means go to the better location.

But as others have said multiple times, we are talking about two years of your life. That's it. Unless you have a family with young kids, location should not be *driving* your decision.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

I had thought this all along as well until I visited Kirksville. Location is such a matter of personal preference that it is really up to each individual applicant to decide how much its going to matter in the decision making process, especially if the applicant has the luxury of deciding between multiple schools.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :)

When we went for a tour, there was students sitting on the floor in the back of the lecture hall and they seemed really cramped. I heard they may expand the lecture halls, is this true or in the works?