Is it better to be a prude

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Probably for the same reason they don't call football soccer. Because football is second nature to them, and American football should be called handegg, realistically. Ice hockey is a derivative of hockey, calling hockey "field hockey" thus seems weird, just like calling soccer "European football" or whatever seems weird.

We're the ignorant ones, out naming things that have existed for hundreds (and even thousands) of years whatever the hell we want and then expecting the world to just play along. We're like a five year old that was over at their uncle's house and just decided to start calling his pitbull Fluffy instead of Spike for no good reason whatsoever- the world may play along, but they just kind of roll their eyes while thinking, "Oh you!"
Cool story

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably for the same reason they don't call football soccer. Because football is second nature to them, and American football should be called handegg, realistically. Ice hockey is a derivative of hockey, calling hockey "field hockey" thus seems weird, just like calling soccer "European football" or whatever seems weird.

We're the ignorant ones, out naming things that have existed for hundreds (and even thousands) of years whatever the hell we want and then expecting the world to just play along. We're like a five year old that was over at their uncle's house and just decided to start calling his pitbull Fluffy instead of Spike for no good reason whatsoever- the world may play along, but they just kind of roll their eyes while thinking, "Oh you!"

tl;dr someone?

Sorry fancymylotus I would put your donut on for you. I'm assuming you don't know how to yourself. Do you have AAA?

this thread is like a giant group message text thing.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's cool. Ask any questions you like, I won't be offended. The thing about Hindus is that...and I know how this is going to sound...you technically can't convert to hinduism. You have to be born a hindu. So, you see the problem? Has to do with dynasty as well as your child's prospects. A non-hindu parent might endanger both, in the eyes of the more conservative patriarchs/matriarchs, but thankfully things are changing.

Much of our society/interaction, like any other, is governed by unwritten rules, which if you're not familiar with, you'll end up having a rough time.
you can do like the gays and lie. "I was born gay"

you can do like the gays and lie. "I was born gay"

Requires a little more work. We have genealogies (usually at least 7 generations). These are usually kept by priests called pandas in a place called haridwar (translates as God's threshold).

i get it, anyway it wouldn't be very cool to lie to your religious representatives, you would end up in hell.

i get it, anyway it wouldn't be very cool to lie to your religious representatives, you would end up in hell.

Based upon my experiences with them, they're heading there as well.

It's not them you'd need to lie to, I mentioned them because you'd need to bribe them.

Based upon my experiences with them, they're heading there as well.

It's not them you'd need to lie to, I mentioned them because you'd need to bribe them.

Oh man, don't get me started with those 'religious' goons.

'You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out that is the end of the game...'

How_to_play_whackbat.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Is it like dante's were you go to a different place depending on what you did?

What do you have to do to go to Hindu hell?

It's a little confusing. The oldest texts imply infinite hells and provide only the vaguest descriptions (a bottomless hole), but most religious texts state 7-28. They are quite specific in both, sin and punishment, and do resemble Dante's circles to some degree. eg. Shukramukh is a part of the underworld where people who're supposed to provide justice (rulers/judges) are punished, but they're also sent here if they sentence a priest to any form of physical punishment. It really is clear how the priests altered the religious texts to benefit themselves.

The stay in most of them is temporary, until your rebirth, but there are a few which imply eternal torment.

Fulfilling your 'duty' (dharm) and doing 'good' (karm) are how you avoid them. As you go through life, there are a few things (pilgrimages, singing specific chants, rituals) you can do to be forgiven for specific sins, but this must be done in the same life as the one in which the sin was committed.

If you can't bring yourself to be a decent human being, fear not, you can have a priest perform a ritual at your deathbed, or even after, according to what I hear now, where some of your sins can be, erm, 'disregarded', and this forgiveness, btw, is by some strange quinkydink, directly proportional to the 'donation' made to the priest on your behalf. Not only does this allow those sins to be forgiven, it also gives you a better shot during your next reincarnation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
You gotta realize that all of this varies a great deal with who your tutor was, which of the texts they actually read, and what their biases are.

You're thinking of the 7 Patals, which are quite distinct from Narak.

Last edited:
Oh, and if you commit suicide, God sentences your soul to endlessly walk the earth until you would have died had you not done the deed, lol.

Oh, and if you commit suicide, God sentences your soul to endlessly walk the earth until you would have died had you not done the deed, lol.

Actually that's not strictly true. There are two ways in which you can kill yourself - in battle or by starvation, the latter only if you don't have a family to support.

Actually that's not strictly true. There are two ways in which you can kill yourself - in battle or by starvation, the latter only if you don't have a family to support.
Sounds legit.

All this Indian stuff talk makes me want to drive to queens for Indian food

But not rly cause I have to go to a damn CPR class

Favorite place to get food?

Don't tell me you were talking about one of the street truck/vendors

The only street food I eat is in Mumbai, bc it's SO worth getting sick from its that good :p

Jackson Diner.

Lol the only time I eat at the vendors is after a night out and i'm too drunk to care.

I'll have to check it out!

I want to have sex with all of you.

Reactions: 1 users