Is it better to be a prude

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
terrorist chic is my type, there I said it

and no not saddam or bin laden
Obamas-Friends.jpg

"Ayo grrrrl, u wanna shine my rocket?"

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seeing as this thread is pointless... has anyone drunk (drank? no drunk right? right? ahhh) casein protein shakes during their clinical years and kept their satiety in check?

Seeing as this thread is pointless... has anyone drunk (drank? no drunk right? right? ahhh) casein protein shakes during their clinical years and kept their satiety in check?
BodyBuilding.com is that way ----------------------->

Reactions: 3 users
what is casein?
Eating is overrated unless you are trying to put some major mass for body building purposes.
As long as you train and eat regular.
Hell looks at those muai tai fighters that train all day long without food.

No

I make some variation of green juice in the morning

+/- an almond milk and fruits based smoothie

Soups or salads for lunch

And whatever I remember to eat for dinner

I have a really bad sweet tooth so I have to force myself to dodge the temptation ><

shakes people are weird.

Reactions: 1 user
what is casein?
Eating is overrated unless you are trying to put some major mass for body building purposes.

I'm thinking mostly for surgery rotation. Casein protein is a slow digesting protein which can cause one to feel fuller, longer. So taking 50 grams with milk before a long surgery could provide you with sustained energy. I'm ok with not eating for long periods of time and I like fasting now and then, but not on days when I have a lot to do and/or learn. Maintaining mass is difficult too if you've gained a significant amount from baseline.

I think @CherryRedDracul is bro'y enough to misc in here, have you used casein in the hospital ever? Intermittent Fasting? Mired?

what is casein?

You don't even know what casein is, and you're talking about proper training and comparing average joes to Muay Thai fighters. Training is overrated, and eating is everything.

I'm thinking mostly for surgery rotation. Casein protein is a slow digesting protein which can cause one to feel fuller, longer. So taking 50 grams with milk before a long surgery could provide you with sustained energy. I'm ok with not eating for long periods of time and I like fasting now and then, but not on days when I have a lot to do and/or learn. Maintaining mass is difficult too if you've gained a significant amount from baseline.

I think CherryRedDracul is bro'y enough to misc in here, have you used casein in the hospital ever? Intermittent Fasting? Mired?

I usually eat half a cup of cottage cheese in the morning which supposedly has casein, but I haven't really noticed a difference in satiety now that I haven't been doing that for several months--trying to cut back on sodium. I basically had to do intermittent fasting throughout my surgery rotation since we had to be at the hospital by 5:30AM on most days (even earlier in the SICU), and our surgeons rarely took a lunch. I wasn't willing to wake up earlier to make breakfast. I ate as much as possible when I got home and still gained a considerable amount of mass. I've been cutting since late January. I think as long as prolonged periods of fasting doesn't make you queasy, you'll be fine with or without the casein. It couldn't hurt though.

I think @CherryRedDracul is bro'y enough to misc in here, have you used casein in the hospital ever? Intermittent Fasting? Mired?

Nah. Haven't been to the hospital itself much except for volunteering in clinic and preceptorship stuff. I finished second year just a few weeks ago. Peppering angus for Step 1 and clerkships come June.

I'm thinking I might do Intermittent Fasting during rotations. I've done IF before and the hunger pangs aren't that bad at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't even know what casein is, and you're talking about proper training and comparing average joes to Muay Thai fighters. Training is overrated, and eating is everything.

I usually eat half a cup of cottage cheese in the morning which supposedly has casein, but I haven't really noticed a difference in satiety now that I haven't been doing that for several months--trying to cut back on sodium. I basically had to do intermittent fasting throughout my surgery rotation since we had to be at the hospital by 5:30AM on most days (even earlier in the SICU), and our surgeons rarely took a lunch. I wasn't willing to wake up earlier to make breakfast. I ate as much as possible when I got home and still gained a considerable amount of mass. I've been cutting since late January. I think as long as prolonged periods of fasting doesn't make you queasy, you'll be fine with or without the casein. It couldn't hurt though.

I can't do cottage cheese anymore now that I've tried Greek yogurt. Seriously, why the hell did I wait this long to try it??

I can't do cottage cheese anymore now that I've tried Greek yogurt. Seriously, why the hell did I wait this long to try it??

I haven't done cottage cheese in a while, but the macros on it are amazing. I have essential HTN, so I'm having to cut back on sodium. Try mixing 1/2 cup Oikos non-fat vanilla greek yogurt with 1/2 cup Dannon light strawberry yogurt and 2 tbs. of Peter Pan honey-roasted peanut butter. 15F/30C/17P (310kcal with 24.5%/48%/27.5% split). It's amazing. If you choose a healthier peanut butter, you could get closer to the golden 20/50/30.

'mirin jaw brah?

+1 for the zyzz SDN crew.

Reactions: 5 users

50 mg is overkill. Studies show your body can't really break down more than ~30 grams at time, even post-workout.

I'm almost certain it's the same deal for casein, regardless if it's a slow digesting protein.

I saw plenty of unattractively huge guys at my undergrad gym. I should have taken some creep shots. They looked kinda like this:

Groce.

But i also think that 99% of guys are groce so take that with a tub of salt.

@fancymylotus what say you? Hot or not?

I don't know very many men, or women for that matter, who would consider this a "gross" physique for a guy.

I don't know very many men, or women for that matter, who would consider this a "gross" physique for a guy.

I think it's borderline unattractive. His head looks small next to those muscles. I consider it "gross" once the veins start popping like crazy.

I haven't done cottage cheese in a while, but the macros on it are amazing. I have essential HTN, so I'm having to cut back on sodium. Try mixing 1/2 cup Oikos non-fat vanilla greek yogurt with 1/2 cup Dannon light strawberry yogurt and 2 tbs. of Peter Pan honey-roasted peanut butter. 15F/30C/17P (310kcal with 24.5%/48%/27.5% split). It's amazing. If you choose a healthier peanut butter, you could get closer to the golden 20/50/30.

I'll give that a try. But I can't do ratios. What I do is hit my protein macros, and then fill the rest with fats and carbs. Less mental stress.

50 mg is overkill. Studies show your body can't really break down more than ~30 grams at time, even post-workout.

I'm almost certain it's the same deal for casein, regardless if it's a slow digesting protein.

Which studies? Sounds more like a myth more than anything. I'd have awful, awful osmotic diarrhea from protein malabsorption if that was the case. Our digestive systems are quite adept at handling large protein loads mainly by the control of gastric emptying and certain intestinal "braking" mechanisms. For example, in response to amino acids in the duodenum, CCK delays gastric emptying while it directs the gallbladder and pancreas to release bile and digestive enzymes, respectively, so that the majority of the amino acids are absorbed. When amino acid levels are low in the duodenum, CCK levels drift toward lower levels, and gastric emptying resumes, amino acids enter the duodenal lumen, CCK goes up again, so on and so forth.

So I'll enjoy my 16 oz steak without worrying about lost protonz. :D

Reactions: 1 users

Love broscience.

About a decade ago when I was in college I used to mix a little DaVinci sugar free syrup and splenda into a 1/2 cup to full cup of cottage cheese as my bedtime meal, plus 2 tablespoons of natty PB (sometimes mixed in with the cottage cheese, which made a delicious peanut butter ice cream type snack). Cottage cheese by itself is horribly disgusting both in consistency and taste, but loading it with DaVinci/splenda gave it a much better consistency/flavor. Freezing it for a few minutes after adding those things helped a lot too.

Now I'm just too lazy so I take a scoop of casein and eat a few spoonfuls of peanut butter from the jar before bed. Works for me.

It's not broscience. There are studies out there that show we can't absorb more than 30-40 grams per serving, no matter how much mass we have. The supplement industry has marketed 60+ gram servings for years because it sells and people buy into that ****. Hell, there were times in undergrad I would consume shakes 2x a day with over 60g of protein per serving. I didn't have adverse affects from "over-consumption" and when I cut the serving by half I still kept my goals. I didn't necessarily mean to say "our body can't break down" more than 30 grams at a time. The correct term is properly absorb more than 30 g per serving. Most of these studies were based on whey protein shakes.

edit: "Your body can process only so much protein in a single sitting. A recent study from the University of Texas found that consuming 90 grams of protein at one meal provides the same benefit as eating 30 grams. It's like a gas tank, says study author Douglas Paddon-Jones, Ph.D.: "There's only so much you can put in to maximize performance; the rest is spillover."

"Dr. Gabe Wilson Ph.D., CSCS , suggests that the real focus should be what you consume to maximize growth at each meal.3 His work suggests that for most people, the optimal amount comes out to about 30-40 grams of high-quality protein per meal. Exceeding this amount hasn't been shown to increase muscle growth.4 The main reason you should select 30-40 grams of protein is that this amount contains the optimal amount of branched-chain amino acid leucine to encourage muscle growth. And just in case all that eating sounds like a tall order for one day, there's another cool thing about Dr. Gabe Wilson's research. He found alternating meals containing whole protein with snacks of supplemental branched-chain amino acids optimizes growth"

"One study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, pinpointed 20 grams as the best amount of postworkout protein to maximize muscle growth"

Last edited:

Casein forms a gel in the stomach that takes longer than whey based proteins to be broken down and absorbed into the intestines.

I think it's an issue of utilization rather than absorption for the protein amount however. The 30g rule is mostly a purported myth, from what I've found (not on any forum), is that several studies showed acute muscle synthesis peaked at ~20-30g of protein post-workout. There was no evidence that additional protein went "un-used" for whatever purposes they were destined for after breakdown. It's not that it wasn't absorbed, it's that it didn't support additional muscle synthesis.

There is apparently a French study that gave women 80% of their protein for the day in one meal vs. spread out throughout the day. The results showed no difference in nitrogen balance, whole-body protein turnover, whole-body protein synthesis, or protein breakdown. This is similar to the argument that 5-6 smaller meals is better for you, which I also thought was mostly debunked at this point.

Didn't see your post just before mine, I originally mentioned Casein thinking in terms of satiety throughout a day in the hospital, not in terms of increasing mass or muscle synthesis.

Although drinking Casein protein before bedtime HAS been shown to significantly improve muscle synthesis compared to both Whey and placebo. As GWDS alluded to above as well, this absorption and synthesis is more effective when combined with actual food.

It's not broscience. There are studies out there that show we can't absorb more than 30-40 grams per serving, no matter how much mass we have. The supplement industry has marketed 60+ gram servings for years because it sells and people buy into that ****. Hell, there were times in undergrad I would consume shakes 2x a day with over 60g of protein per serving. I didn't have adverse affects from "over-consumption" and when I cut the serving by half I still kept my goals. I didn't necessarily mean to say "our body can't break down" more than 30 grams at a time. The correct term is properly absorb more than 30 g per serving. Most of these studies were based on whey protein shakes.

edit: "Your body can process only so much protein in a single sitting. A recent study from the University of Texas found that consuming 90 grams of protein at one meal provides the same benefit as eating 30 grams. It's like a gas tank, says study author Douglas Paddon-Jones, Ph.D.: "There's only so much you can put in to maximize performance; the rest is spillover."

"Dr. Gabe Wilson Ph.D., CSCS , suggests that the real focus should be what you consume to maximize growth at each meal.3 His work suggests that for most people, the optimal amount comes out to about 30-40 grams of high-quality protein per meal. Exceeding this amount hasn't been shown to increase muscle growth.4 The main reason you should select 30-40 grams of protein is that this amount contains the optimal amount of branched-chain amino acid leucine to encourage muscle growth. And just in case all that eating sounds like a tall order for one day, there's another cool thing about Dr. Gabe Wilson's research. He found alternating meals containing whole protein with snacks of supplemental branched-chain amino acids optimizes growth"

"One study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, pinpointed 20 grams as the best amount of postworkout protein to maximize muscle growth"

As someone who studied predominantly exercise science and sport nutrition in undergrad I can confirm there is an element of truth to this post. I dont know if "maximum you can absorb" is the best terminology to use though. There is a maximum amount of amino acids in one meal that can be utilized for protein synthesis, and studies have generally shown it is indeed around 30g. This is not to say that any protein in excess of that is wasted or "malabsorbed", that is simply untrue. In fact, a high protein diet still has numerous benefits over replacing that excess protein with carbs or fat.

Excess protein consumed beyond 30g still gets digested and absorbed but is merely converted to glucose for use as energy in other metabolic processes. And because it is a lot slower to digest and provides a greater thermogenic effect than dietary glucose or fat it can be a healthier way of obtaining energy than consuming higher amounts of dietary carbohydrates or fats, which are more likely to be stored in adipose tissue and cause other adverse health effects. Another point is that, as an athlete, the benefits of protein go beyond just rates of protein synthesis. High levels of dietary protein are associated with increased IGF-1 release, which is an anabolic hormone. On top of this, even though high amounts of dietary protein might not be beneficial for further increasing the rate of protein synthesis per se, high blood levels of amino acids have been shown to be muscle-sparing, which helps minimize muscle catabolism during strenuous exercise in the first place.

what is casein?

If you want to gain any muscle or strength whatsoever, not just for "bodybuilding" but even as an average person looking to get fit, eating is extremely important. You can workout 6 days a week following whatever amazing training routine you want, and you will make almost no progress whatsoever (beyond "beginners gains" of increasing neuromuscular coordination) unless you are eating enough protein and overall calories to actually allow your body to be in an anabolic state. You don't have to be constantly eating throughout the day, but you still need to get in enough total calories and protein at some point during the day, whether it is broken down into 3 meals, 4 meals, 5 meals etc. doesn't matter much.

Supplement with synthol for maximum gains. Trust me, I'm a doctor in training

Reactions: 1 users
As someone who studied predominantly exercise science and sport nutrition in undergrad I can confirm there is an element of truth to this post. I dont know if "maximum you can absorb" is the best terminology to use though. There is a maximum amount of amino acids in one meal that can be utilized for protein synthesis, and studies have generally shown it is indeed around 30g. This is not to say that any protein in excess of that is wasted or "malabsorbed", that is simply untrue. In fact, a high protein diet still has numerous benefits over replacing that excess protein with carbs or fat.

Excess protein consumed beyond 30g still gets digested and absorbed but is merely converted to glucose for use as energy in other metabolic processes. And because it is a lot slower to digest and provides a greater thermogenic effect than dietary glucose or fat it can be a healthier way of obtaining energy than consuming higher amounts of dietary carbohydrates or fats, which are more likely to be stored in adipose tissue and cause other adverse health effects. Another point is that, as an athlete, the benefits of protein go beyond just rates of protein synthesis. High levels of dietary protein are associated with increased IGF-1 release, which is an anabolic hormone. On top of this, even though high amounts of dietary protein might not be beneficial for further increasing the rate of protein synthesis per se, high blood levels of amino acids have been shown to be muscle-sparing, which helps minimize muscle catabolism during strenuous exercise in the first place.

Right on the money.

Love broscience.

About a decade ago when I was in college I used to mix a little DaVinci sugar free syrup and splenda into a 1/2 cup to full cup of cottage cheese as my bedtime meal, plus 2 tablespoons of natty PB (sometimes mixed in with the cottage cheese, which made a delicious peanut butter ice cream type snack). Cottage cheese by itself is horribly disgusting both in consistency and taste, but loading it with DaVinci/splenda gave it a much better consistency/flavor. Freezing it for a few minutes after adding those things helped a lot too.

Now I'm just too lazy so I take a scoop of casein and eat a few spoonfuls of peanut butter from the jar before bed. Works for me.
Cottage cheese is awesome by itself.

Like, gag me with a spoon.
Why not go greek yogurt? What I can't stand is when you make hard boiled eggs and one or two of the following happens: The membrane stays on and you get that waxy, gross overcoat or the albumen comes off with the shell.

tumblr_inline_n0ixmoE1NU1ryj2q8.jpg

Too many muscles.

Also anyone with that level of physique must spend an enormous amount of time, energy, and money in order to achieve and maintain that look. It comes across very self absorbed, and I don't think that person would have a lot of luck in a serious relationship.

Too many muscles.

Also anyone with that level of physique must spend an enormous amount of time, energy, and money in order to achieve and maintain that look. It comes across very self absorbed, and I don't think that person would have a lot of luck in a serious relationship.

Conversely, it demonstrates tremendous drive, discipline, and dedication... Not that those are attractive qualities or anything.

Reactions: 4 users
Conversely, it demonstrates tremendous drive, discipline, and dedication... Not that those are attractive qualities or anything.

I'd rather someone who applied those things towards their education or their career.

Too many muscles.

I think you'll be surprised in medical school. At my school, a substantial portion of the class has hooked up with each other, but only the most muscular men.

Speaking of which, pretty much everyone in medical school is fit at the least, and we have one amateur bodybuilder and one competitive powerlifter in our class. Both of them regularly post pictures and videos of their physique and lifts.

I think you'll be surprised in medical school. At my school, a substantial portion of the class has hooked up with each other, but only the most muscular men.

Speaking of which, pretty much everyone in medical school is fit at the least, and we have one amateur bodybuilder and one competitive powerlifter in our class. Both of them regularly post pictures and videos of their physique and lifts.

There are a lot of lifters in my class, too (including me). A number of them were Division I athletes in college and they inspired a lot of our classmates to pick up lifting as a hobby.

It's biuriful.

My wife and I are both former college D1 athletes. It helps that we both still work out and are understanding of each other's schedules/dedication. It's possible - but not easy - to still be able to direct your focus towards and excel in other realms of life. I did well in medical school and am doing well in residency, am probably in close to the best shape of my life, and still find time for other hobbies/posting on SDN.

If my wife was a lot less understanding, I might be singing a different tune.

My wife and I are both former college D1 athletes. It helps that we both still work out and are understanding of each other's schedules/dedication. It's possible - but not easy - to still be able to direct your focus towards and excel in other realms of life. I did well in medical school and am doing well in residency, am probably in close to the best shape of my life, and still find time for other hobbies/posting on SDN.

If my wife was a lot less understanding, I might be singing a different tune.

Is your wife a doctor?

No she's not.

I'm assuming Ya'll work out together? That it something me and mr. Tp have to get better at. We distract each other too much haha.

Also i laugh every time I see your avatar. Where the gold at?

getting buffed to get girls is typical beta stuff

getting buffed to get girls is typical beta stuff

You know the alpha beta thing sounds so focused on what other men think. Sounds kinda gay IMO

edit: what is this based on? I see no professional studies linked to this article

There are a couple hyperlinks to some studies in the text of the article, but he links to another article at the end of that section that goes more in depth and has a bit more literature cited.