Is it better to be a prude

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're clearly not Indian. I don't care what my parents think but I do. It's strange as hell.

Yes I am very very white.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand cricket. I've never bothered to watch a game though (except for when the kids in my undergrad would take up one of the fields to play and we'd have to wait for them to finish).

I don't understand cricket.

'You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out that is the end of the game...'

Members don't see this ad :)
'You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out that is the end of the game...'

Well that really clears it up thanks!

I think I'll stick with baseball.

Or Mafia. (What's werewolf?)

Mafia was my shiet in undergrad. That and Egyptian Rat Screw, but that's a card game.

Oh, and speaking of cricket, I feel like I'm one of the few brown kids who doesn't understand the game. I've watched a few matches, but I haven't bothered learning the rules. It looks similar to baseball but slightly less boring.

I'll stick to following soccer (football), American football, hockey, and basketball.

Reactions: 2 users

I have a legitimate question. I was just wondering about something along these lines. Why are Indians generally not represented in American sports? Is there discrimination?

Pffffft to all of you. Ask your dad to explain cricket to you.

And then turn into a cricket loving nutjob who drags their iPad around with them at work and basically everywhere to watch games streamed live! :D

More importantly, why am I still awake when I have wonderful patients at 7 tomorrow?!
I already addressed that. Your man leaves you unsatisfied at night so, unable to sleep, you search SDN in search of answers.

Amirite?

Reactions: 1 users
Pffffft to all of you. Ask your dad to explain cricket to you.

And then turn into a cricket loving nutjob who drags their iPad around with them at work and basically everywhere to watch games streamed live! :D

My dad would probably ask if I was talking about the insect.

I have a legitimate question. I was just wondering about something along these lines. Why are Indians generally not represented in American sports? Is there discrimination?

It's a huge mix of reasons, not the least of which is that manual labor of any kind is looked down upon. It doesn't help that Indians, on average, aren't the fittest of people. Here's the mindset of a lot of the plebs:

Indians are obsessed with image ( thanks - in part - to the Brits), and so kids will be steered towards certain sports that are deemed desirable, like golf, squash, tennis, or badminton. My parents, for example, weren't happy when I dropped tennis for basketball in high school or when I chose the guitar over the violin. When I started lifting, they insisted I wear gloves.

Why are these sports deemed desirable? Two reasons. The first is that they are individual sports and so, you have a greater chance of standing out. Second, they require, and therefore imply wealth. In a sport like football or basketball, all you need is a ball, and everything else can be improvised. This means that a kid without shoes can potentially spank you up and down the field/court if all he has is a ball to practice with. Pretty much the same is true for cricket and/or baseball. With golf, squash, tennis, or badminton, however, not only do you need expensive equipment, you also need proper training on how to use it as well as a very specific area in which to use it. All of this costs money, which: a) puts anyone with resources at a distinct advantage and b) implies that the person belongs to a certain socio-economic class.

Anecdote: my first white gf was a little put off by the fact that my hands and feet were softer than hers.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

No, this is a valid question. You look at how much emphasis China places on the Olympics, and compare that to what importance India gives to it, and you start to wonder.

To answer your question, most Indian immigrant parents look down their noses at physical activity of any sort. They see it as a plebeian activity not fit for their children. Many will argue that it gets in the way of the children's studies.

The first point matters more, I think. As I've said before, my parents actually got angry at me a couple years back because my vastus lateralis and rectus femoris were large enough to show through a pair of pants (even though I really wasn't that muscular).

Arkangeloid, son, how in the hell are you forever alone? Son, you gotta use the med school or doctor line and brown gals will come running. Don't you know that dude? Come on man!

No, this is a valid question. You look at how much emphasis China places on the Olympics, and compare that to what importance India gives to it, and you start to wonder.

To answer your question, most Indian immigrant parents look down their noses at physical activity of any sort. They see it as a plebeian activity not fit for their children. Many will argue that it gets in the way of the children's studies.

The first point matters more, I think. As I've said before, my parents actually got angry at me a couple years back because my vastus lateralis and rectus femoris were large enough to show through a pair of pants (even though I really wasn't that muscular).

Reactions: 3 users

Outside the anatomy lab, I think it might be easier to just say "quads", bro.

Reactions: 9 users

Uhhh have you seen Indians recently? They are built for intellectual work, not physical. I have no idea what brain bucket is talking about. I rarely ever see an athletic individual. Loll

What did your parents say to you when they noticed your bulging vastus lateralis?

Reactions: 1 user
Uhhh have you seen Indians recently? They are built for intellectual work, not physical. I have no idea what brain bucket is talking about. I rarely ever see an athletic individual. Loll

Uhhh Brain bucket is talking about reality. You don't actually tend to see built Indians in America. You just see the patidar community and/or the banias (merchant/trader community).

But, like I said earlier, most athletic endeavors aren't encouraged, making the people best suited for them avoid them.

Last edited:
Uhhh Brain bucket is talking about reality. You don't actually tend to see built Indians in America. You just see the patidar community and/or the banias (merchant/trader community).

But, like I said earlier, most athletic endeavors aren't encouraged, making the people best suited for them avoid them.

You should set a new standard of indian athleticism.

Because as a whole, we're 1) not very tall, and 2) not very athletic. We were brought to the US because of our intellect, rather than our physical prowess.

Even you are Indian? This site should be renamed to shaadi.com

Edit: A colleague of mine was using it and I made fun of him for it all the time. But he did find someone lol

Because as a whole, we're 1) not very tall, and 2) not very athletic. We were brought to the US because of our intellect, rather than our physical prowess.
I don't recall all the indians I've met being particularly small. What about you guys, as modern day adults. Will you pass this down to your kids?

Last edited:
It's a huge mix of reasons, not the least of which is that manual labor of any kind is looked down upon. It doesn't help that Indians, on average, aren't the fittest of people. Here's the mindset of a lot of the plebs:

Indians are obsessed with image ( thanks - in part - to the Brits), and so kids will be steered towards certain sports that are deemed desirable, like golf, squash, tennis, or badminton. My parents, for example, weren't happy when I dropped tennis for basketball in high school or when I chose the guitar over the violin. When I started lifting, they insisted I wear gloves.

Why are these sports deemed desirable? Two reasons. The first is that they are individual sports and so, you have a greater chance of standing out. Second, they require, and therefore imply wealth. In a sport like football or basketball, all you need is a ball, and everything else can be improvised. This means that a kid without shoes can potentially spank you up and down the field/court if all he has is a ball to practice with. Pretty much the same is true for cricket and/or baseball. With golf, squash, tennis, or badminton, however, not only do you need expensive equipment, you also need proper training on how to use it as well as a very specific area in which to use it. All of this costs money, which: a) puts anyone with resources at a distinct advantage and b) implies that the person belongs to a certain socio-economic class.

Anecdote: my first white gf was a little put off by the fact that my hands and feet were softer than hers.

Sounds elitist.

Name one Country?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
I'm talking about the culture looking down on sports and physical activity- in America. Besides Asian cultures, I don't see that attitude.

I'm talking about the culture looking down on sports and physical activity- in America. Besides Asian cultures, I don't see that attitude.

yep. These fads cycle over centuries.

Arkangeloid, son, how in the hell are you forever alone? Son, you gotta use the med school or doctor line and brown gals will come running. Don't you know that dude? Come on man!
Should've gone osteopathic so he could insist he had a large bone for them to examine.

i have turned this thread into bollywood central. mission accomplished
neil.png

My body is ready.

Is this supposed to be a joke?

I wish I had the pictures I took on my last trip home.

I think you might be confusing ice hockey with hockey.

I was kinda wondering. It is a bit of a rich man's game.
Ya I'd agree. You need a lot of equipment and fees to play in a league. In JH and HS, this stuff is provided to you if you play football.

What are you talking about? Is there another form of hockey?

There is only 1 type of hockey, genius