Howard Anyone (Class of 2013)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just sent off howard..........i applied late to every school. Did u get in BlackDoctor2B? I'm from the cpt too.:)

Members don't see this ad.

just sent off howard..........i applied late to every school. Did u get in BlackDoctor2B? I'm from the cpt too.:)

I haven't heard anything yet. I am hoping to hear something this month.

The 15th is a week away. Here is to hoping for some great news for those of us who are waiting! Let's do it! God bless yall!

Members don't see this ad :)
The 15th is a week away. Here is to hoping for some great news for those of us who are waiting! Let's do it! God bless yall!

We believe in you homie!

woo hooooo can't wait! I wish you could start a chant on the internet

BD2B...BD2B!

I've never been so anxious for a criminal background check:xf:

:laugh: I have way too common of a Spanish name and I'm afraid they might mess my background check up. My father was almost arrested for double homicide in connecticut when he was in college cause there was somebody with his same name....damn Puerto Ricans

have they really been this silent for the past 6 weeks? or is it just us sdn folks that arent making any strides? what do u think?

Well everybody, it is a new week. Are ready to have some fun? This is going to be a great week, I can feel it in my spirit. God bless!

woo hooooo can't wait! I wish you could start a chant on the internet

BD2B...BD2B!

I am going to keep my ear to the ground, I have not heard anything yet. I hope we get our criminal background checks soon.

I am going to keep my ear to the ground, I have not heard anything yet. I hope we get our criminal background checks soon.
I'm praying for you guys! I know you will all do amazing things at Howard!

I am praying for everyone. I have not received a letter yet, but I am hopeful. If anybody has good news please post it. God Bless you all.

7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. 9 Which one of you would hand his son a stone when he asks for a loaf of bread,

Any news out there in Howard land? I am extremely excited. I think the adcom met today and I am hoping I was on the agenda. Beerog? Geliebt? You guys interviewed before me. Have you heard?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any news out there in Howard land? I am extremely excited. I think the adcom met today and I am hoping I was on the agenda. Beerog? Geliebt? You guys interviewed before me. Have you heard?

No news yet... :scared:

Is Howard still sending out interviews? They're the only HBCU I haven't heard from.....Is this a silent rejection or are they just that slow?:(

Is Howard still sending out interviews? They're the only HBCU I haven't heard from.....Is this a silent rejection or are they just that slow?:(

All schools are still interviewing, so if you haven't heard a 'no' then that means you are still in the running to become America's Next Top Medical Student..............................................

I know Howard continues interviewing at least till the end of April so keep hope alive:xf:

Now I've been looking everywhere for my acceptance letters and just can't seem to find any of them... LMAO (wait, that's not funny) +pity+

All schools are still interviewing, so if you haven't heard a 'no' then that means you are still in the running to become America's Next Top Medical Student..............................................

I know Howard continues interviewing at least till the end of April so keep hope alive:xf:

Now I've been looking everywhere for my acceptance letters and just can't seem to find any of them... LMAO (wait, that's not funny) +pity+

Hey Beerog. Did you get the email that a decision had been made on your file? Or the one about your file going to committee? I really hope you hear something soon cuz you have been waiting for some time.

Hey Beerog. Did you get the email that a decision had been made on your file? Or the one about your file going to committee? I really hope you hear something soon cuz you have been waiting for some time.

My file has gone to committee so I guess that my letter will be in the next round that they send out, so we will see.

Hey all, Im a first year med student at Howard rite now. If any of you guys have any ?? about anything, feel free to PM me. I may take sum time becuz we just started Neuroanatomy which is shapping up to be the hardest class ever invented.lol. But its really fun to be challenged so much. Just remeber guys, Howard takes a long time for invites. But they also dont invite a lot of ppl. If you DO get an invite, you have a VERY GREAT chance to get in unless you BLOW the interview. I kno that this is a very long and hard process, but all you need is one interview and one acceptance. I interviewed @ two schools. I was watilisted to both. I had my Howard interview in Nov of 2007, got my waitlist at the end of Jan 2008, in which I thought was a soft way to say "REJECTED" because the year b4 me (class of 2011), NO ONE was taken off the waitlist. But after a letter of intent and a few emails every few weeks, I got my acceptance in June 2008. So, dont fret, just be sure you dont lose hope. Take care all.

Come on Howard, show us some love please!!! We just want to be accepted and attend HUCM!!! We're not asking that much!!! Hahaha!:laugh: Hopefully we will hear tomorrow that the adcom met today and we can call to find out our decisions.

dang, still no word for anyone yet? not even bd2b?? lol. ive been complete for a minute. i think they are passing on me, but i am still hoping and praying for a surprise. this is the only school im still waiting on that matters to me! well, except for Davis i guess, but i cant really go there. my allergies kill me out there!

Hey Guys, I hate to be the bearer of some extenuating circumstances but there's an event in town this weekend and into the first part of next week called the Inauguration and MKL Birthday. There isn't much going on in terms of regular work at Howard this weekend (include Friday in the weekend). I would be surprised if anything got rushed this week with Spike Lee doing his thing at Cramton auditorium and the HBCU gala taking place at the Postal Museum, Tom Joyner broadcasting from Ben's Chili Bowl etc. You might not hear anything for awhile so chill. I am sure that you will be fine but things are not going to be swift and everyone within 200 miles of DC is a bit distracted. It's cold and stuff is happing all over the place.

Hey Guys, I hate to be the bearer of some extenuating circumstances but there's an event in town this weekend and into the first part of next week called the Inauguration and MKL Birthday. There isn't much going on in terms of regular work at Howard this weekend (include Friday in the weekend). I would be surprised if anything got rushed this week with Spike Lee doing his thing at Cramton auditorium and the HBCU gala taking place at the Postal Museum, Tom Joyner broadcasting from Ben's Chili Bowl etc. You might not hear anything for awhile so chill. I am sure that you will be fine but things are not going to be swift and everyone within 200 miles of DC is a bit distracted. It's cold and stuff is happing all over the place.

Yeah, I hear ya NJB! Thanks for reminding us to chill out. I know sometimes I forget this is a marathon and not a race. So thanks for the note! How are you doing?

Well in other news, I got an email from Ms. Walk letting me know that file is out of committee and my decision letter will be mailed on or around Feb. 15th! So now that my fate has been decided, all I can do now is continue to pray and believe and hope for a great birthday present! Our time is coming yall! We just have to be patient. God bless yall!

Oh yeah, my friend was telling me that she got an email in December saying that her letter will be mailed in mid January. So maybe Geliebt, Beerog and some others will get your decisions in a couple of days. I will be praying for yall! God bless!

Whether or not I go to Howard, I will Definitely do some of my fourth year clinical rotations at their Hospital. I know too many of their academic clinicians not to. Who knows? I might even end up there for residency. So I will see you guys in the future.

well to those that are still waiting, keep your head up!! :D

i decided to not apply to Howard this cycle approaching but to wait until next year...which is a very very long time from now..but i definitely want to improve certain areas in my app, and even try to do their summer program (
The Advanced Health Careers Enrichment Program) just to better my chances, and it will definitely give me more time to study for the MCAT. Still my number 1 school, and MarylandDude, I agree with you. I would love to do rotations at their hospitals or even my residency...they are some of the best..:D

but enough rambling..GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited:

NJB, are you going to be in town for the inaugural? If so maybe we can hookup.

NJB, are you going to be in town for the inaugural? If so maybe we can hookup.

I am in Virginia and on a pretty tight schedule. I am planning on getting to Spike Lee's presentation at Howard and to Ben's Chili Bowl for the Tom Joyner Show with Bill Cosby. I had tickets for the GWU Ball at the Shoreham but gave them to one of my practice partners who will be attending with his wife. I have an orange ticket for the swearing in ceremony and will attend that but then I have to get off the Mall, back to GWU and back to BWI to fly out.

I am in Virginia and on a pretty tight schedule. I am planning on getting to Spike Lee's presentation at Howard and to Ben's Chili Bowl for the Tom Joyner Show with Bill Cosby. I had tickets for the GWU Ball at the Shoreham but gave them to one of my practice partners who will be attending with his wife. I have an orange ticket for the swearing in ceremony and will attend that but then I have to get off the Mall, back to GWU and back to BWI to fly out.

Well I'm flying into BWI tonight, and staying until Wednesday morning. I have a silver ticket for the inauguration, but your schedule sounds solid, so I guess we'll have to do it another time.

Hi everyone, I interviewed at Howard on 12/9 and loved it. I am interested in underprivileged care and I believe Howard will be awesome for taht. Does anyone know when we will be hearing anything from them?

BTW: I had a weird moment with my interviewer where he kind of ridiculed my MCAT score and I have a 35 11,11, 13 and it is the strongest part of my application. I didnt know how to respond to it so I just said i tried my best and am satisfied with the effort that I put in. I hope this doesnt effect my chances because I really want to go there.

Does anyone know how interview invites are sent? (Snail mail or email?)
Now that the Presidential and MLK celebrations are over, my mind is back on the app process.

Does anyone know how interview invites are sent? (Snail mail or email?)
Now that the Presidential and MLK celebrations are over, my mind is back on the app process.

Interview invites are sent via email. Somethings might start to happen now that the holidays are over. We shall see. Good luck to you, hope you receive that invite!

Any other news out there? I know it is the day after all of the festivities so I doubt it. Just asking though.

Hi everyone! I hope that you all took a breather from the stresses of premed life to enjoy the wonderful moment in history. We had our first neuro exam Wednesday morning (originally scheduled for 1/20 but the school closed due to the inauguration and we were "given an extra day" although me and many of my classmates went to the inauguration then studied afterwards.

I was in your shoes just last year, and believe me dreams do some true so don't stop working towards your goals and keep doing your best. This forum was an amazing source of support for me last year when I was so stressed about everything! I'm glad to see that everyone is still going strong, and be sure to update us on your progress!

BlackDr2b-I hope you're staying calm over there! I'm sure you will get your wish soon :)

To those waiting for a response be steadfast, and know you have done your best. And as painful as it may be to think about it there is always next year. If you want it you will get there, just believe in yourself and that will project to the schools. Remember we are lucky to have them, and they are lucky to have us. It's a wonderful thing to be able to pursue your dream, so if it's what you desire, don't let anything stand in your way.

I'm off to bed, since I have a slight fever and tomorrow starts new material...ahh the orbit :)

G'luck!

I just want to say that I am still rooting and praying for everyone. For those of you who are in, CONGRATS!!!. Those who are waiting, GOOD LUCK. I feel blessed to be here and able to fellowship with you all...

I just want to say that I am still rooting and praying for everyone. For those of you who are in, CONGRATS!!!. Those who are waiting, GOOD LUCK. I feel blessed to be here and able to fellowship with you all...

Beerog. Wassup homie! So have you heard any news?

Beerog. Wassup homie! So have you heard any news?

I called and a decision hasn't been made yet on my app. I applied to the MD/PhD though so it may be taking more time. I dunno, but as long as I don't hear a no, I will be happy to wait till August.

man I liked howard and the wait is killing me, anyone hear anything.

Hi All,

I'm a student at HUCM and I was recently informed by a reliable source that you all should remain patient and keep hope alive. With the holidays and the inaguration things slowed down a lot since december, but they are picking up the pace again.

So if you're waiting for an interview, don't panic if you haven't heard anything. Keep working hard if you're taking classes and (IMO) update them if you have something beneficial to add to your file.

Those post interview, the same thing applies. :) And remember you have gotten this far, so maintain hope. The admissions office definitly doesn't want you all (regardless of your application status) to freak out...although I can empathize. They are working dilegently to make this process as stress free as possible. So no news in this case is more likely a result of Obama (a worthy reason to delay a response IMO) ;) and the holidays than anything else.

I hope this puts some of you at ease.

btw I wasn't accepted until April of last year (not on the wait list), so know that there are more interviews/acceptances to come in the next few months. :)

G'luck...now I'm going to get back to my studying. Yes I'm stillllll studying, on a Firday night, IN the medical school. :-\ BUT it's what I signed up for and honestly I would rather be here, than not here if you know what I mean ;)

ta-ta!

Hi All,

I'm a student at HUCM and I was recently informed by a reliable source that you all should remain patient and keep hope alive. With the holidays and the inaguration things slowed down a lot since december, but they are picking up the pace again.

So if you're waiting for an interview, don't panic if you haven't heard anything. Keep working hard if you're taking classes and (IMO) update them if you have something beneficial to add to your file.

Those post interview, the same thing applies. :) And remember you have gotten this far, so maintain hope. The admissions office definitly doesn't want you all (regardless of your application status) to freak out...although I can empathize. They are working dilegently to make this process as stress free as possible. So no news in this case is more likely a result of Obama (a worthy reason to delay a response IMO) ;) and the holidays than anything else.

I hope this puts some of you at ease.

btw I wasn't accepted until April of last year (not on the wait list), so know that there are more interviews/acceptances to come in the next few months. :)

G'luck...now I'm going to get back to my studying. Yes I'm stillllll studying, on a Firday night, IN the medical school. :-\ BUT it's what I signed up for and honestly I would rather be here, than not here if you know what I mean ;)

ta-ta!

Thanks for the note. Good Luck this year!!!

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that hope is still alive because I received an interview invite today. I am super excited as Howard is my top choice!! I have not been on here in quite sometime but I want to wish everyone else good luck!... It's in the air... and in this great weather :)

got the interview invite today, who here is going the the march 11 date

I'll be there on the March 10th date. Hopefully I'll see some of you there :)

I know what you mean Slick. I would at least like to know my status whether they want to interview me or not. Dont just leave me wondering Howard.

Have you heard anything BlackDr?

I know what you mean Slick. I would at least like to know my status whether they want to interview me or not. Dont just leave me wondering Howard.

Have you heard anything BlackDr?

I am officially making my return back to SDN. Had to leave for a min just to get myself together. But I am back.

I haven't heard anything yet. Still waiting, but I will wait as long as I have to for Howard. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long. Hopefully this week will be the golden week. The last email I received said I should get my letter on or around 2/15. We shall see.

Any news around Howard land?

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that hope is still alive because I received an interview invite today. I am super excited as Howard is my top choice!! I have not been on here in quite sometime but I want to wish everyone else good luck!... It's in the air... and in this great weather :)

Congrats on the interview! I hope and pray you have a great interview and we get to be classmates. When is your interview?

Just got an interview at Howard U!!!!!!!!! aaaaaa (its about timeeeee :D). I have worked at Howard for the past two years or so. I know so many students and clinicians at this school that interview day is sure to be a homecoming.

Congrats on your interview. It should be a lot of fun, especially since you know so many people there. Where is Howard on your list?

got the interview invite today, who here is going the the march 11 date

Congrats Kennesaw! Hope and pray it goes great for you!

Congrats on your interview. It should be a lot of fun, especially since you know so many people there. Where is Howard on your list?

Hey thanks man. Very few people actually understand the historical and pragmatic significance that Howard has had as an institution. Not only in the African American community, but in the Unites States in general. Everyone is so bogged down with the pursuit of prestige and fixated on numbers that they often fail to see Howard as the Mecca for minority involvement, and minority advancement in Medicine, in health care and society in general. Not many people can understand the pride I felt working in their hospital or scrubbing in for surgery with African American physicians and surgeons. Those guys are my role models and part the reason why I will be an MS1 in a few months. If you ask me, Howard has an uncomparable prestige and I feel as if you're one of the few people who actually gets that.

"Where does Howard fall on my list? " I'm not sure and I prefer not to think about that until I get an acceptance letter, but judging by the fact that you haven't heard and you've basically been waiting for a year, I may be in Med school by the time I hear from their admissions committee post interview.

I wish you the best of luck though and who knows? We may be MS1s at Howard later this year.

Last edited:
Hey thanks man. Very few people actually understand the historical and pragmatic significance that Howard has had as an institution. Not only in the African American community, but in the Unites States in general. Everyone is so bogged down with the pursuit of prestige and fixated on numbers that they often fail to see Howard as the Mecca for minority involvement, and minority advancement in Medicine, in health care and society in general. Not many people can understand the pride I felt working in their hospital or scrubbing in for surgery with African American physicians and surgeons. Those guys are my role models and part the reason why I will be an MS1 in a few months. If you ask me, Howard has an uncomparable prestige and I feel as if you're one of the few people who actually gets that.

“Where does Howard fall on my list? “ I’m not sure and I prefer not to think about that until I get an acceptance letter, but judging by the fact that you haven’t heard and you’ve basically been waiting for a year, I may be in Med school by the time I hear from their admissions committee post interview.

I wish you the best of luck though and who knows? We may be MS1s at Howard later this year.

One of the great advantages of attending Howard University College of Medicine is that from the first day of orientation, you realize that you stand in the halls of excellence and greatness. Good medicine is passed from one physician to another and no where in the United States is this more evident than at Howard University College of Medicine.

Thanks to my very strong foundation learned in the classrooms, halls and ORs of HUCM, I have operated with four former presidents of the American College of Surgeons. The first African-American president of the American College of surgeons looked across the table at me and said, "Scalpel to Drnjbmd" and that was a defining moment is my career.

Every hour that I spent in lecture, in study, in the Gross Anatomy lab, in the Pathology lab prepared me for the "ride of my life" and now I am passing that knowledge on to a new generation of physicians. Howard's roots run through me and now through the physicians (and other students) that I teach along with the research that I love. It is no accident that Howard produced many "firsts" and thousands more "bests" in clinical medicine.

I sincerely hope that the folks who wish to attend Howard get that acceptance letter. I can tell you that it was my first acceptance letter and it profoundly changed my life. Even today, as I still enjoy the fellowship of those that studied before me, with me and after me at Howard, I am in awe of how great Howard is and will be.

Not long ago, I sat down with UVABranch and I can tell you for sure, that she "gets it" and is working extremely hard to learn all of those things that will make her an outstanding physician and leader in medicine. All of the prestige in the world is meaningless unless you have a nurturing environment where YOU can learn the art and craft of medicine. When you are long gone from your medical school (and those 3 years [fourth year is away] go by fast), it will be those relationships with your professors and classmates that will become most important and will influence your success.

Even today, when I encounter some pathology that I want to discuss "off the record", my first phone call is to Dr. Fidelia-Lambert in the path department at HUCM from whom I know that I will get the inside story that I can't always get from my colleagues here. She is just one of hundreds of excellent physicians with whom you will develop close and lasting relationships with who are on the front line of fighting the diseases that plague our community.

The Howard physicians will always give you their best scholarship and teaching where in other institutions, you might be looked upon as a "token" or "affirmative action mistake". You will be pushed and challenged in ways that you thought were impossible but after you come through, you will be miles ahead of graduates of other institutions in terms of being ready for residency. It is not accident that Howard graduates match very well and at good institutions (Hopkins, Mayo, Stanford to name a few).

Black Surgeon is so very right with the post above. The "vibe" at Howard is amazing. In a time (Jan 20, 2009) when history was made a few blocks south of "W Street NW and Georgia Avenue" (yes, you can walk to Ben's Chili Bowl), excellence is made every day at HUCM.