Howard Anyone (Class of 2013)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good morning everybody. Hope everybody is blessed and in good health. It's hump day today. Maybe this day will be our lucky day! I'm still praying my behind off for an interview. God bless!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

I am also applying to howard. I am sending my secondary application this Monday. I hope I get an interview. Do you know if they screen people who does not have the minimum 22 on the MCAT? I miss it by 1 point.

Wassup MP. Good luck to you in this cycle. There is no real way of knowing if they will screen you out. You never know what can happen. The only thing I can say is that on the website it says to be competitive we should have at least a 22. But I am sure you have other great things in you app. Just keep believing and keep the faith and I'm sure you will be ok. God bless you!

Wassup MP. Good luck to you in this cycle. There is no real way of knowing if they will screen you out. You never know what can happen. The only thing I can say is that on the website it says to be competitive we should have at least a 22. But I am sure you have other great things in you app. Just keep believing and keep the faith and I'm sure you will be ok. God bless you!

I hope not. I hope I get an interview somewhere and an acceptance. I think I waited too late to apply. Thank you for the encouraging words.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why does it seem like nobody is out there. Its like nobody comes to the UIH side of SDN. These boards seemed so active last cycle. Oh well, Im going to keep it jumpin' over here! :laugh: God bless!

Why does it seem like nobody is out there. Its like nobody comes to the UIH side of SDN. These boards seemed so active last cycle. Oh well, Im going to keep it jumpin' over here! :laugh: God bless!

I noticed the last cycle picked up around January when most people were worried that they would not get into Howard. But this is keeping me alive. Thank you for creating it. I feel so sick. I keep checking my e-mail but I just send out all my applications so I have a while to wait. I am still anxious. I need Jesus.

No no! Don't think the thread is dead. I'm here too and anxiously awaiting an interview invite from Howard as it is my number one choice! I can assure you that this thread is alive and well it's just that few people are actually posting. Most of us are just waiting for good news to come. Good luck to you all!! :) :D

copaceticis still here...and suffering from premed syndrome

Im glad to see that there are some people here. This is my favorite thread because I really want to go Howard. This is definitely my #1. Still hoping and praying for an interview. Our time is coming! God bless!

Im glad to see that there are some people here. This is my favorite thread because I really want to go Howard. This is definitely my #1. Still hoping and praying for an interview. Our time is coming! God bless!

Hey let's hope we all get in. We could be classmate that would be so cool. Have you heard from other places besides Meharry and Howard?

Good morning everybody! Here's to some great news today. God bless1

yo, waitin for my interview invite as well ppls! lets go!

Good morning to all. Here is to hoping and praying for some good news this week. Hopefully I and we will get that invite email. God bless you all!

im here too... just crackin up on the heart palpitations, sporadic email checkin etc... man i guess im normal!!!! ok so has anyone else got their confirmation email. I was complete 9/05 and still havent gotten any confirmation. Called the office and got the story about 3 people and moving.. is anyone worried stuff would get lost??? Good luck everyone.... sending you all good vibes for the week!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
im here too... just crackin up on the heart palpitations, sporadic email checkin etc... man i guess im normal!!!! ok so has anyone else got their confirmation email. I was complete 9/05 and still havent gotten any confirmation. Called the office and got the story about 3 people and moving.. is anyone worried stuff would get lost??? Good luck everyone.... sending you all good vibes for the week!!!

I feel you on the checking the email all the time thing! :laugh: I don't think they will lose anything. I have been told that the move is the reason they are taking things slow because they don't want to lose anything. I believe we will be good. Good luck and God bless you too!

Hey I mailed off Howard's secondary last week, but I haven't received a complete email/notification. Generally speaking, how long is the turn around?

I would love to be at Howard and DC!!! What do you guys know about fin aid packages at HU? I didn't look at HBCUs during undergrad cuz I was forewarned that they have no money to give away; hopefully, the graduate/professional school level isnt the same soup warmed up.

GL

Hey I mailed off Howard's secondary last week, but I haven't received a complete email/notification. Generally speaking, how long is the turn around?

I would love to be at Howard and DC!!! What do you guys know about fin aid packages at HU? I didn't look at HBCUs during undergrad cuz I was forewarned that they have no money to give away; hopefully, the graduate/professional school level isnt the same soup warmed up.

GL

Hi even if they don't have money to give you, there are other ways to get money depending on your specialty interest. Check out the national health service corps website and there are primary care loans which you don't have to pay back until 4 years post residency. There is also scholarship for under represented minority which you can get through the school or at your request. The bottom line is just get into a the school of your choice. After you get in, do your research to find the source of your medical school expenses. And don't forget that it will only cost you like 100K for howard. After your residency, you will make over 100k so you will pay back that in no time. I hope, I was helpfull. Good Luck!!!

GL

Wassup Almond! Welcome to the thread. The turn around might be slow due to admissions office being moved and the school is under construction. They received my secondary in about 10 days or so. Howard is my #1 as well so we shall see. Hopefully we will all hear some good news. God bless you bro!

I interviewed at Howard yesterday and it was great. They are definitely swamped with applications. Everyone is really nice and they give you no opportunities to get nervous. They mentioned that they interview approx. 330 applicants for approx. 110 spots in the class of 2013. They interview 14-15 students per day on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. So that is about 30 students per week. They offer rolling admissions on the 15th of each month starting Nov. 15th. I am really nervous at this point, but I am going to keep praying about it. I sincerely wish everyone the best during this process, don't know how I have made it this far but will keep on keepin on.

Hi even if they don't have money to give you, there are other ways to get money depending on your specialty interest. Check out the national health service corps website and there are primary care loans which you don't have to pay back until 4 years post residency. There is also scholarship for under represented minority which you can get through the school or at your request. The bottom line is just get into a the school of your choice. After you get in, do your research to find the source of your medical school expenses. And don't forget that it will only cost you like 100K for howard. After your residency, you will make over 100k so you will pay back that in no time. I hope, I was helpfull. Good Luck!!!

Thanks for the insight. I think you are right, lol, I should first get into a school, and then worry over financial aid. I just know DC is hella expensive; and if i do get into howard, i'm concerned about the amount of debt that I may accrue while i'm there. but i can worry about that in a few months... i hope.

Finally an interview invitation. I just got an acceptance at Case but I really wanted to interview and see Howard.

Thanks for the insight. I think you are right, lol, I should first get into a school, and then worry over financial aid. I just know DC is hella expensive; and if i do get into howard, i'm concerned about the amount of debt that I may accrue while i'm there. but i can worry about that in a few months... i hope.

Your more than welcome!!!

I interviewed at Howard yesterday and it was great. They are definitely swamped with applications. Everyone is really nice and they give you no opportunities to get nervous. They mentioned that they interview approx. 330 applicants for approx. 110 spots in the class of 2013. They interview 14-15 students per day on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. So that is about 30 students per week. They offer rolling admissions on the 15th of each month starting Nov. 15th. I am really nervous at this point, but I am going to keep praying about it. I sincerely wish everyone the best during this process, don't know how I have made it this far but will keep on keepin on.

Hey Dr. B,

We will keep our fingures crossed for you. Hopefully, you get into Howard. Did you get a good vibe from the studenst? I mean are they happy at Howard?

Dr. J.

Hey Dr. B,

We will keep our fingures crossed for you. Hopefully, you get into Howard. Did you get a good vibe from the studenst? I mean are they happy at Howard?

Dr. J.

Those students are the happiest medical school students that I have ever met. I am not even being funny. I got the feeling that it will be extremely tough, but you will be supported the whole way.

-Brian

Those students are the happiest medical school students that I have ever met. I am not even being funny. I got the feeling that it will be extremely tough, but you will be supported the whole way.

-Brian
Thanks for the input. Today I got an e-mail from them saying they are moving and that they will have new phone numbers and they may not have access to e-mail for a while. I just pray they don't lose my application.

Jackie

They're watching. :eek:

From today's e-mail
HOPE THIS HAS HELPED TO SETTLE DOWN THOSE OF YOU WOULD ARE UNDERGOING THE GRAVE CONDITION KNOWN AS MSAS (MEDICAL SCHOOL APPLICANT SYNDROME). THE SYMPTOMS INCLUDE:

CHECKING EMAIL EVERY FIVE MINUTES,
NERVOUS SWEATS,
SLEEPNESS NIGHTS,
AND AN URGE TO PICK UP THE PHONE TO CALL US EVERY DAY

I wonder if Ms. Walk liked my Tyrone Biggums picture. :laugh:

Hey guys I just got back from from interview at Howard. I was very, very impressed. I've never been to DC before and the campus was very beautiful. The students were great (if your reading this, tour guides, great job) and very honest. I hate when I visit a school and everything is AMAZING -- come on be real. I hope I did well and get some good news from them =D

For anyone who hasn't heard from Howard have no fears. Howard said that they keep every application in play until the end of the cycle and the re-review apps a lot.

Hey guys...I'm so happy to see others that are interested in going to Howard as much as I am. I was in the process of applying this cycle, but the stress of MCAT study got to me, so I'm gonna apply for class of 2014. I pray by the grace of God that each of you are given the desires of your heart if it is in God's will :)

While DC is expensive, Howard does a pretty good job of making sure that your budget will cover your expenses. You won't live like Trump but you can find ways of stretching your dollars so that you can live safe and secure.

When you get your acceptance, :thumbup::thumbup: contact some of the upperclassmen and see where folks are living. There is some very decent housing that is pretty close to the medical school like The Cloisters (3 BR apartments) and other places. Also, keep in mind that DC has great public transportation that means that you probably will not need a car until third year.

There are medical schools that are located in less expensive places but having to have a car to get around does add to your costs even if your rent is low. You can always take comfort in that fact that DC is cheaper than New York so far. A fair number of my classmates lived in the Towers (graduate student side) which is on campus. Again, while not the Ritz, it is close and convenient (no pets allowed).

I wanted to send a thank you note to the admissions office and my interviewer - but I can't remember the name of my interviewer and she is a retired faculty member so she's not listed on their website. Should I just address it to Ms. Walk and the admissions office?

Hey everybody! I haven't posted in here in a while. I was trying some reverse psychology! :laugh: Maybe if I don't post, then my invite will come. Hasn't worked so far so maybe I should try a new approach! LOL. Hope everybody is doing well. For everybody who has already interviewed, I pray that it went well and that you get an acceptance as a Christmas gift! God bless!

Hey everybody! I haven't posted in here in a while. I was trying some reverse psychology! :laugh: Maybe if I don't post, then my invite will come. Hasn't worked so far so maybe I should try a new approach! LOL. Hope everybody is doing well. For everybody who has already interviewed, I pray that it went well and that you get an acceptance as a Christmas gift! God bless!
No worries. patience and persistence are key. don't be afraid to let them know how much you like them! it will all work out in the end.

i am still waiting on an interview invite...

I would make sure to at least acknowledge the director. Have you tried looking up your interviewer on the faculty list?
Yes but I couldn't find her. She had mentioned that she had retired awhile ago and just helps out with admissions. Maybe I'll call and ask for her name from admissions.

No worries. patience and persistence are key. don't be afraid to let them know how much you like them! it will all work out in the end.

How do you think I should go about doing that? Do you think I should write an email to Ms. Walk telling her how much I love Howard and would love an invite or do I wait until I am invited?

If you are really serious about Howard then a letter of interest wouldn't be a bad idea. It is still really early in the cycle so if I were you I'd give them a few more weeks and then send Ms. Walk and the admissions committee a letter stating your sincere interest, why you believe you would be a good fit, what you have to offer, and what you hope to gain from going to Howard. It can't hurt. If you let them know you care it's harder to ignore you, especially if you are trying to weed through the people that are using the school as a "backup"

If you are really serious about Howard then a letter of interest wouldn't be a bad idea. It is still really early in the cycle so if I were you I'd give them a few more weeks and then send Ms. Walk and the admissions committee a letter stating your sincere interest, why you believe you would be a good fit, what you have to offer, and what you hope to gain from going to Howard. It can't hurt. If you let them know you care it's harder to ignore you, especially if you are trying to weed through the people that are using the school as a "backup"

I can dig it. I am getting better at being patient in this process. So I will continue to wait patiently and see what the good Lord has in store for me. After a couple of weeks I will write something. Thanks OTLyss. How are you doing?

I agree with this but Howard is not a "back-up" school for anyone. Just because you may exceed their MCAT/uGPA averages, does not mean that they are clamoring to get you. You have to be in tune with their charter and their mission. In addition, you have to be able to thrive in a multi-cultural environment. They are very sharp when it comes to figuring out who actually wants to attend Howard and who is not interested in their mission. Howard as stated above, is very interested in providing medical school opportunities for people who are willing to work in under-served communities. You are not bound to work with the under-served (other than in the context of the patient population at Howard) but you should definitely articulate your interests in this population because you will be seeing these patients on the wards and in clinic (at most but not all of the Howard clinical affiliates).

This is a very up and coming school under the new administration (relatively new president and new but outstanding Academic Dean). The curriculum is outstanding and the students are pretty mellow and happy to be there. The facilities are under construction but will be awesome when that construction is completed. Howard is a very underrated school by many people who would be surprised at the very high level of instruction that takes place there. Just remember, that the school has a mission to serve the under-served in DC who may be African, African-American, Latino or Vietnamese. It's a very diverse population with very diverse needs.

I'm gooood hanging in there =)

I'm gooood hanging in there =)

Glad to hear that. Well, we shall see what happens. I am going to continue to hope and pray that I get an invite. It is still early in the game. I would love an opportunity to attend HUCM.

I agree with this but Howard is not a "back-up" school for anyone. Just because you may exceed their MCAT/uGPA averages, does not mean that they are clamoring to get you. You have to be in tune with their charter and their mission. In addition, you have to be able to thrive in a multi-cultural environment. They are very sharp when it comes to figuring out who actually wants to attend Howard and who is not interested in their mission. Howard as stated above, is very interested in providing medical school opportunities for people who are willing to work in under-served communities. You are not bound to work with the under-served (other than in the context of the patient population at Howard) but you should definitely articulate your interests in this population because you will be seeing these patients on the wards and in clinic (at most but not all of the Howard clinical affiliates).

This is a very up and coming school under the new administration (relatively new president and new but outstanding Academic Dean). The curriculum is outstanding and the students are pretty mellow and happy to be there. The facilities are under construction but will be awesome when that construction is completed. Howard is a very underrated school by many people who would be surprised at the very high level of instruction that takes place there. Just remember, that the school has a mission to serve the under-served in DC who may be African, African-American, Latino or Vietnamese. It's a very diverse population with very diverse needs.
Yes I definitely agree. I wasn't trying to insinuate Howard should be a backup. Not even close. However, on my interview day we discussed "rumors" about Howard and it not being as competitive - and the students did a great job about dispelling those & showing us how quickly Howard is advancing. Also, a good portion of my interview was talking about my interest in Howard so I feel like they are definitely trying to make sure the students really want their school (which is pretty standard for all schools actually)

It's funny because when I hear people talk about Howard being a back up, I get irritated and I don't even go there! :laugh: But I do believe it is ridiculous to think that an institution that has done so much for people of color and for this country is a back up. Howard is an awesome place to be. Many of my friends that have gone there for undergrad and for medical school have said that the education they received was second to none. Some of my mentors went their and they call it How-Hard because of how tough it is. There are many reasons why I would love to attend Howard. But, it is out of my hands right now. I'm going to keep praying and believing and maybe I will get my chance to join HUCM family. God bless!

Is it too late to send it in.....I've been a little tight on money:mad:.

Is it too late to send it in.....I've been a little tight on money:mad:.

No it is not too late to send in your secondary. It is definitely not early but by no means too late. Especially if you have good stats and everything. Good luck with the process. I know what it is like to be tight on money. Also, don't be afraid to contact the admissions office (Ms. Walk) to ask questions about the process. They go out of their way to make sure that finances aren't the reason why you are not able to go to medical school.

It's funny because when I hear people talk about Howard being a back up, I get irritated and I don't even go there! :laugh: But I do believe it is ridiculous to think that an institution that has done so much for people of color and for this country is a back up. Howard is an awesome place to be. Many of my friends that have gone there for undergrad and for medical school have said that the education they received was second to none. Some of my mentors went their and they call it How-Hard because of how tough it is. There are many reasons why I would love to attend Howard. But, it is out of my hands right now. I'm going to keep praying and believing and maybe I will get my chance to join HUCM family. God bless!

i think its foolish to think of any US allopathic medical school as a back up or safety.

but i have many friends who go to undergrad at howard and, lol, none of them share this sentiment. this is second hand knowledge, and most of my friends are outstanding students who probably would thrive anywhere, but the overwhelming sentiment is that classes, and specifically science classes at howard are EASY. i have one female who transferred from howard to my school and said that the comparison in Orgo was not even possible. so i dunno, it depends on the student.

but i agree, howard med is great school. know at least 3 docs who graduated from here and they are absolutely brilliant and well trained, compassionate physicians.

i think its foolish to think of any US allopathic medical school as a back up or safety.

but i have many friends who go to undergrad at howard and, lol, none of them share this sentiment. this is second hand knowledge, and most of my friends are outstanding students who probably would thrive anywhere, but the overwhelming sentiment is that classes, and specifically science classes at howard are EASY. i have one female who transferred from howard to my school and said that the comparison in Orgo was not even possible. so i dunno, it depends on the student.

but i agree, howard med is great school. know at least 3 docs who graduated from here and they are absolutely brilliant and well trained, compassionate physicians.

I know that courses may be tougher when you compare one institution to another but the only thing that really matters is whether or not the courses are comprehensive. I think that the common denominator is that if a student is a hard worker then it does not matter what undergraduate institution they attended they will be able to prepare themselves to enter medical school. When it comes to medical school you should apply broadly and have first, second, and third choices. When it comes down to it just find the institution that is right for YOU. Educate yourself and make an informed decision about which schools to apply. I don't see what purpose it serves to spew out comments like 'School X is my backup school.' unless you provide concrete reasons why? For example, Wash. U is my top choice because I want to go into academic medicine and they have a great program that puts emphasis on that, however with my current stats I am also applying to my local state schools because I am a more competitive applicant there. When you put things that way then the comment may help others trying to make up their minds about where to attend school or submit applications. Just spewing out school 'X' is my backup school is kind of like blowing hot air to me. In other words I agree with the above comments and was just adding my 2 cents. Me, myself, personally LOL would be very honored to attend Howard University Medical School. :)

That statement wasn't about the undergrad. I was saying that my mentors who went to Howard for medical school call it that. That was their experience, but they loved it!

Hey everybody, hope you all had a great weekend. I'm still over here praying for an interview. We shall see. God bless!

Hey everybody, hope you all had a great weekend. I'm still over here praying for an interview. We shall see. God bless!

me too. So far one rejection no interview. Their loss.

Hey everyone...I found you guys hiding over here. I interviewed with QT and I'm currently in grad school at Howard. I have some close friends in the med school there and I can say for sure that Ms. Walk is all about persistence and interest. If you haven't gotten an email, don't hesitate to send an interest or update email. If you've already been interviewed, make sure you keep them updated, especially if you're on the wait list. If you make it known that you're still interested, you're more likely to be pulled off. Good luck everyone...especially Dr. B!!