Howard Anyone (Class of 2013)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted to stop by and say wassup to my hopefully soon to be classmates. I also wanted to say oh how I love Howard so!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Aren't acceptance letters sent on the 15th of the month? Maybe tomorrow will bring good news!

This is the last week before break at schools. What a great Christmas gift that would be? :)

Aren't acceptance letters sent on the 15th of the month? Maybe tomorrow will bring good news!

This is the last week before break at schools. What a great Christmas gift that would be? :)

Hope you guys hear some great news this week! I will be praying for yall. Here's to hoping we all will be members of HUCM class of 2013!

Members don't see this ad :)
howard hates me :(

My guess is that Howard doesn't "hate" you but considers that you won't choose to attend Howard if they accepted you. With the acceptances that you already have under your belt, Howard might consider you to be too competitive to attend there and that offering you a slot would tie up that slot for someone who is literally committed to practicing with the under served or someone who is totally committed to attending Howard would love to have.

As I have stated in more than a few posts, Howard is not a "back-up" school for anyone. Howard seeks students who want to be there and who can flourish in their environment. Essentially like Harvard, they are all about seeking students who "fit" and who are in tune with their chartered mission rather than students who have uGPA/MCAT scores above their averages.

If you really want to attend Howard, something in your application, letters of update and other correspondence has to point to why they will provide the best medical education for you within the context of their mission. If you can get this point across, you have a shot at Howard. In short, Howard is very, very particular and selective about the students that they offer admissions to. They have literally thousands of applicants who are well-qualified so they are not "scraping" for students. They also have a stated charter and mission that they attempt to fulfill as best they can.

This school really is an awesome place to learn medicine but you have to fit their profile as evidenced by their charter and mission. If you don't, having a 4.0 uGPA/MCAT 45 isn't going to get you in the door and will likely work against you.

Last edited:
Hope you guys hear some great news this week! I will be praying for yall. Here's to hoping we all will be members of HUCM class of 2013!
you might as well relax because everyone knows, and you included, that you are in! you got this man.

howard hates me :(

In addition to what njbmd stated, you want to do a ROADS residency so it seems likely that even if Howard offered you an acceptance, you'd be more likely to attend a higher-ranked school (according to US News) with a more popular name to increase your chances of matching to derm.

Most people I know who apply to Howard don't want a "lifestyle" specialty; the Howard AdCom folks seem to want people who have shown evidence of a deep interest & commitment to areas of extreme need (e.g. primary care) or to working with underserved populations.

It's not merely a #s thing. I've gotten interviews at schools where my #s were above the mean, but my ECs & essays were in line with its mission statement. I've also NOT gotten interviews at schools where my #s were above the mean. It all depends on what the school is looking for.

Regardless, Howard doesn't "owe" you any love just because you're a Black male and have decent stats. Turn that arrogance down a notch, buddy. :thumbup:

My guess is that Howard doesn't "hate" you but considers that you won't choose to attend Howard if they accepted you. With the acceptances that you already have under your belt, Howard might consider you to be too competitive to attend there and that offering you a slot would tie up that slot for someone who is literally committed to practicing with the under served or someone who is totally committed to attending Howard would love to have.

As I have stated in more than a few posts, Howard is not a "back-up" school for anyone. Howard seeks students who want to be there and who can flourish in their environment. Essentially like Harvard, they are all about seeking students who "fit" and who are in tune with their chartered mission rather than students who have uGPA/MCAT scores above their averages.

If you really want to attend Howard, something in your application, letters of update and other correspondence has to point to why they will provide the best medical education for you within the context of their mission. If you can get this point across, you have a shot at Howard. In short, Howard is very, very particular and selective about the students that they offer admissions to. They have literally thousands of applicants who are well-qualified so they are not "scraping" for students. They also have a stated charter and mission that they attempt to fulfill as best they can.

This school really is an awesome place to learn medicine but you have to fit their profile as evidenced by their charter and mission. If you don't, having a 4.0 uGPA/MCAT 45 isn't going to get you in the door and will likely work against you.

Fit their profile? well I havent heard anything.

I'm a URM (AA). I've been Volunteering at their hospital for nearly a year and a half. Got a letter of rec from one of their docs.
Mentioned my work at Howard in my PS and activities. Been working and volunteering with the underserved D.C area since my freshman year in college.

Besides the fact that I'm far from a financially disadvantaged applicant, if all that doesnt fit their profile, I don't know what does. I know my MCAT and GPA is above their averages (GPA 3.7 BCPM 3.8, MCAT 30T) but come on, since when has that become a negative????

From what I have heard, Howard has one admissions committee which handles all proffessional school applications (med, dental, pharm). This may be a reason why it takes a little longer for some people to hear back. I certainly hope so.

And also. I had a friend last year: An African American Microbiology major at UMD who had a 4.0 GPA and a 31 MCAT (don't know bout his ECs). The guys got into about 10 schools and at the end of the application cycle he ended up having to decide between taking a full ride ride at Howard or a partial scholarship at Harvard. He is presently an MS1 at Howard.

Last edited:
hey guys...how long did it typically take from completion to interview invitation? I'm sick to my stomach thinking about this... So here is my sad sad sob story:
according to my records I have been complete at Howard since early Septmber (since I sent everything in mid august!!!!) but I didnt receive a complete email but tried to be patient for 4 weeks. Finally, I couldnt take it anymore and called to find out they couldnt find my packet and they told me not to send another one they would find it. So I tried to be patient again for another 2 weeks then I couldnt take it anymore again. I just decided I'd count the 1st money order as a loss and re-send my application!!! Well I got a completion email NOV 13th!!! OOOUUUCCCHH!!! So now Im playing the interview waiting game. I've interviewed at 2 other schools so far but Howard is high up there on my list... do you guys think I should chill out or call again... i;ve been burnt already and quite nervous at the prospect of it happening again??? Wait a while??/ arrrrgggghhh!!!!!

Fit their profile? well I havent heard anything.

I'm a URM (AA). I've been Volunteering at their hospital for nearly a year and a half. Got a letter of rec from one of their docs.
Mentioned my work at Howard in my PS and activities. Been working and volunteering with the underserved D.C area since my freshman year in college.

Besides the fact that I'm far from a financially disadvantaged applicant, if all that doesnt fit their profile, I don't know what does. I know my MCAT and GPA is above their averages (GPA 3.7 BCPM 3.8, MCAT 30T) but come on, since when has that become a negative????

From what I have heard, Howard has one admissions committee which handles all proffessional school applications (med, dental, pharm). This may be a reason why it takes a little longer for some people to hear back. I certainly hope so.
And also. I had a friend last year: An African American Microbiology major at UMD who had a 4.0 GPA and a 31 MCAT (don't know bout his ECs). The guys got into about 10 schools and at the end of the application cycle he ended up having to decide between taking a full ride ride at Howard or a partial scholarship at Harvard. He is presently an MS1 at Howard.

Not true. These schools are separate and under separate divisions. The College of Medicine handles all medical school admissions. Dental is under the School of Dentistry (located next door but separate) and Pharmacy is under another division.

In addition to what njbmd stated, you want to do a ROADS residency so it seems likely that even if Howard offered you an acceptance, you'd be more likely to attend a higher-ranked school (according to US News) with a more popular name to increase your chances of matching to derm.

Most people I know who apply to Howard don't want a "lifestyle" specialty; the Howard AdCom folks seem to want people who have shown evidence of a deep interest & commitment to areas of extreme need (e.g. primary care) or to working with underserved populations.

It's not merely a #s thing. I've gotten interviews at schools where my #s were above the mean, but my ECs & essays were in line with its mission statement. I've also NOT gotten interviews at schools where my #s were above the mean. It all depends on what the school is looking for.

Regardless, Howard doesn't "owe" you any love just because you're a Black male and have decent stats. Turn that arrogance down a notch, buddy. :thumbup:

lol...umm, okay, i dont recall ever saying that Howad "owed" me anything. and um, I do believe that I have every right to be dissapointed for not being offered an interview...perhaps you can show me where I insinuated that I "deserved" an interview because of my "decent" stats. haha...and um, How would Howard know what speciality I wanted to do? No where on my application have I indicated that I am "interested" in Derm. and besides, my interest in derm deals significantly with my interest in dealing with african american skin scare, an issue is SIGNIFCANTLY under studied. i believe that that would fall in line with Howard's mission statement (could be wrong here?) i also believe that the net working oppurtunities at Howard for this would be second to none (speculation, but I suspect im correct)...lastly, all three of my good friends who go to howard are trying to match into anastesia (sp) so not everyone who goes to Howard wants to be a primary care physcian...allow me to go of my soap box but that was an unwarrented affront....:laugh:

l m F a o....you have no clue what my ECs are and what ive devoted the last 5 years of my life to...tisk tisk the nerve of sum ppl :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
l m F a o....you have no clue what my ECs are and what ive devoted the last 5 years of my life to...tisk tisk the nerve of sum ppl :rolleyes:

For what its worth, I have to take my hat off to all black males applying to medical school. We can change the face of this field one doctor at a time. Our numbers are low, and we need to be lifting each other up and supporting each other. This process requires a ton of 'self confidence', which sometimes can be mistaken for arrogance (especially on a blog). Besides, there are tons of arrogant doctors that are not black, and I don't see anyone giving them a ribbing. I gotta say kudos to EVERYONE going through this process, and lets not forget that this is a profession where a lot of times patients come before self. I think you guys are great!!!

For what its worth, I have to take my hat off to all black males applying to medical school. We can change the face of this field one doctor at a time. Our numbers are low, and we need to be lifting each other up and supporting each other. This process requires a ton of 'self confidence', which sometimes can be mistaken for arrogance (especially on a blog). Besides, there are tons of arrogant doctors that are not black, and I don't see anyone giving them a ribbing. I gotta say kudos to EVERYONE going through this process, and lets not forget that this is a profession where a lot of times patients come before self. I think you guys are great!!!

story of my (our) life...the amount of times that I have been doubted, hated, and outright told im not good enough has required me to muster a lot of self confidence...i think Kanye said it best:

"Instead of letting this dream killers kill my self esteem, I use my arrogance as steam to power my dreams"

Now i wouldnt go as far as saying that kanye-esque arrogance is the type to be emulated...but u get the picture...

funny thing is, I am actually truly disappointed, offended, frustrated etecetera for having not recieved an interview from Howard...and just becaust my "stats" are above average for them doesnt mean that I am only disappointed because I feel I "deserve" an interview...i think its quite presumptuous for someone to assume that is my only reason for being disappointed....but neway...thanx for the encouraging words and best of luck 2 u

funny thing is, I am actually truly disappointed, offended, frustrated etecetera for having not recieved an interview from Howard...and just becaust my "stats" are above average for them doesnt mean that I am only disappointed because I feel I "deserve" an interview...i think its quite presumptuous for someone to assume that is my only reason for being disappointed....but neway...thanx for the encouraging words and best of luck 2 u[/QUOTE]

Well they still have a ton of interviewing left to do. This is only about half way through the interview cycle. To be honest I know that there are people at Howard whose stats are astronomical. If I were you, I would e-mail Ms. Walk and state to her your concerns. You can explain how you have acceptances at other schools but Howard is near the top of your list. I assure you that she does respond to e-mails even if it does take 2-3 weeks. I mean as far as I am concerned this is the Mecca of Black Drville. I just got an e-mail stating that they have interviewed 150 of their total 300 people that they are going to interview, and that they have gotten over 6,000 completed applications. I believe that a well crafted e-mail can get you in the door. I know that we all sometimes think, 'why should we have to do all this?', we have already worked so hard. There may be one person that reviewed you file and in their eyes you did not 'fit' the right combination for an interview. However, what an e-mail does, it forces them to take a second look at an applicant that stated that Howard is at the top of their list. If you have already done all this, then I guess all we can do is pray.

Nice argument pulling in the Kanye West thing. I did not know Cornel West was his dad until recently. Now there's a boy with some strong roots.

did you guys know you have to send $400 for a deposit ($300 of which is non-refundable)? ouch Santa come quickly lol

Nice argument pulling in the Kanye West thing. I did not know Cornel West was his dad until recently. Now there's a boy with some strong[/b] roots.

im pretty sure his father was ray west, former black panther.

did you guys know you have to send $400 for a deposit ($300 of which is non-refundable)? ouch Santa come quickly lol

If I get an acceptance to Howard, I was thinking about selling a kidney or 2 to get that $400! :laugh:. Naw, but for real, I will make sure I have that money ready to go! Man I want an acceptance to HUCM!

funny thing is, I am actually truly disappointed, offended, frustrated etecetera for having not recieved an interview from Howard...and just becaust my "stats" are above average for them doesnt mean that I am only disappointed because I feel I "deserve" an interview...i think its quite presumptuous for someone to assume that is my only reason for being disappointed....but neway...thanx for the encouraging words and best of luck 2 u

Question for you chief. Would you actually go to Howard if interviewed and accepted? Just a question, nothing behind it.

If you have a for real interest in attending HUCM, let it be known. From what I have been told, they really love people who genuinely want to go to Howard. I am not saying to email Ms. Walk because she has a gang of things she has to do already and she told me to tell people to chill out and relax. They are interviewing thru March and they haven't even gotten thru half of the 300 they are going to interview. There is still plenty of time left in the game. I figure January is the beginning of the 3rd quarter. You'll be good patna.

im pretty sure his father was ray west, former black panther.

You are right, I stand corrected.

I still say send the e-mail. I mean what is it gonna hurt? There are people who submitted their secondary after you and have gotten interviewed. Its only logical that they have either already read your secondary or lost it. Either way, I think contacting would be good (but hey I am not admissions counselor).

So is anybody extremely excited for January to get here!? I know I am, I can't wait to hear back from HUCM.

Beerog, are you ready to receive your acceptance? Because it is coming!

So is anybody extremely excited for January to get here!? I know I am, I can't wait to hear back from HUCM.

Beerog, are you ready to receive your acceptance? Because it is coming!

That would be great. I am sure you will hear from them soon also.

Question for you chief. Would you actually go to Howard if interviewed and accepted? Just a question, nothing behind it.

If you have a for real interest in attending HUCM, let it be known. From what I have been told, they really love people who genuinely want to go to Howard. I am not saying to email Ms. Walk because she has a gang of things she has to do already and she told me to tell people to chill out and relax. They are interviewing thru March and they haven't even gotten thru half of the 300 they are going to interview. There is still plenty of time left in the game. I figure January is the beginning of the 3rd quarter. You'll be good patna.

umm i dunno? i only applied to schools I would actually go to if accepted. so i guess the answer to your question is yes. but is Howard my top choice at the current moment and time? no. but my chances of admission to my top choice are slim to none, so I am keeping my options open. and i would like options, many options. one of my interviewers told me, be selective, dont settle, expect the best...we go through so much for this process that we should want and expect options...yes, i would like the option of four years at howard for my medical education...it is also close to home for me....one of only 3 near home schools to which i applied...i will be sending that email after xmas break...though i doubt it will do anything...cant hurt to try! :rolleyes:

umm i dunno? i only applied to schools I would actually go to if accepted. so i guess the answer to your question is yes. but is Howard my top choice at the current moment and time? no. but my chances of admission to my top choice are slim to none, so I am keeping my options open. and i would like options, many options. one of my interviewers told me, be selective, dont settle, expect the best...we go through so much for this process that we should want and expect options...yes, i would like the option of four years at howard for my medical education...it is also close to home for me....one of only 3 near home schools to which i applied...i will be sending that email after xmas break...though i doubt it will do anything...cant hurt to try! :rolleyes:
Hahaha you stay in beef cuz. Howard is great, but come to SF. We need more numbers. :thumbup:

I got you bro. Well I will be praying for you that you get the desires of your heart. I am sure you will get that #1 choice. Oh yeah, I hope you know my question was just that, a question. There was nothing behind it. I am excited to see where you will end up becuz you have some big things going on! Keep fighting the good fight bro and God bless!

story of my (our) life...the amount of times that I have been doubted, hated, and outright told im not good enough has required me to muster a lot of self confidence...i think Kanye said it best:

"Instead of letting this dream killers kill my self esteem, I use my arrogance as steam to power my dreams"

Now i wouldnt go as far as saying that kanye-esque arrogance is the type to be emulated...but u get the picture...

There's a difference between self esteem and what Kanye's got...that brother has got a God complex. I hope NONE of yall ever get to that point, cause homie straight trips and throws tantrums like a 3 year old sometimes just cause he thinks he's infallible.

Self confidence and humility are not mutually exclusive.

Has there been only one round of acceptances from Howard so far? Does anyone know if there will be additional news delivered this month (If not, when:confused:)?

I believe there has only been one round of acceptances. It is probably because they started interviewing in October and things got delayed with the move and everything. We will probably hear something in mid January, at least I am hoping we will.

happy holidays everyone...

after much careful deliberation, I have decided to pass on my acceptance to Howard =( After being accepted to an NYC school I think I'd like to stay closer to family. I wrote a note asking for my acceptance to somehow be transferred to BlackDR2B as a belated christmas present :laugh: I know you guys will have an amazing time at Howard!

happy holidays everyone...

after much careful deliberation, I have decided to pass on my acceptance to Howard =( After being accepted to an NYC school I think I'd like to stay closer to family. I wrote a note asking for my acceptance to somehow be transferred to BlackDR2B as a belated christmas present :laugh: I know you guys will have an amazing time at Howard!

:love::love::love: I think I am in love!!! DRLyss, you are too much. I started cracking up when I saw this. But darn it, I was looking forward to being classmates with you. But I understand the family thing. Congratulations again on all of your great acceptances. You are going to be a outstanding doc! Maybe we will get the opportunity to meet each other in some other way. Hopefully Howard gets your note and since Ms. Walk knows my screen name, maybe it will pay off! :laugh:

:love::love::love: I think I am in love!!! DRLyss, you are too much. I started cracking up when I saw this. But darn it, I was looking forward to being classmates with you. But I understand the family thing. Congratulations again on all of your great acceptances. You are going to be a outstanding doc! Maybe we will get the opportunity to meet each other in some other way. Hopefully Howard gets your note and since Ms. Walk knows my screen name, maybe it will pay off! :laugh:
I know!!! I was imagining how much trouble we would start in Howard hehe. Oh well there is always residency! We should have a sdn reunion.

And trust me you don't need my love notes. You will get in on your own just fine :thumbup:

she admittedly frequents SDN?

she admittedly frequents SDN?

She sure does! After my interview we were talking about SDN. She actually quoted almost word for word something I said in a post awhile ago. This of course was after I told her my screen name, but she remembered. I'm telling you, Ms. Walk is the coolest!

She sure does! After my interview we were talking about SDN. She actually quoted almost word for word something I said in a post awhile ago. This of course was after I told her my screen name, but she remembered. I'm telling you, Ms. Walk is the coolest!

hmmm wow, thats great and all...but i prefer my anonymity to be preserved on this site, otherwise it would severely lose its appeal...ha...did she mention anything about searching for prospectie applicants on here :oops:, and successfully identifiying them :scared:

if so, that is waaaack :thumbdown:

hmmm wow, thats great and all...but i prefer my anonymity to be preserved on this site, otherwise it would severely lose its appeal...ha...did she mention anything about searching for prospectie applicants on here :oops:, and successfully identifiying them :scared:

if so, that is waaaack :thumbdown:

No, she doesn't do all that. As far as I know, she comes on here just to see what us applicants are stressing about. That is why she wrote that email in the beginning of the cycle to get all of us to relax. The only reason she knew who I was, was because I told her my screen name. She doesn't have time to come on here and search and pry about every applicant, not with 6,000 primaries! :laugh: Your anonymity is fine, I wouldn't worry. Plus I have been told that a fair amount of adcom people from various schools come on this site.

No, she doesn't do all that. As far as I know, she comes on here just to see what us applicants are stressing about. That is why she wrote that email in the beginning of the cycle to get all of us to relax. The only reason she knew who I was, was because I told her my screen name. She doesn't have time to come on here and search and pry about every applicant, not with 6,000 primaries! :laugh: Your anonymity is fine, I wouldn't worry. Plus I have been told that a fair amount of adcom people from various schools come on this site.
very true. While I was at GWU I was talking to the interview coordinator & she was making fun of all of the applicants on sdn & saying how easy it is for her to identify some of the applicants... but it was all in good fun it's not like she was searching the forums for people talking trash & then writing letters to the admissions committee.

Howdy folks! How is everybody doing? Any good news?

Howdy folks! How is everybody doing? Any good news?

Everytime you post in this thread, I keep waiting for the "I'm in" news. I surely hope you get some good news from Howard. I know you will love it there as I did.

Everytime you post in this thread, I keep waiting for the "I'm in" news. I surely hope you get some good news from Howard. I know you will love it there as I did.

I sure hope I get some great news as well. Man I really want to go to Howard. I am hoping that when Jan 1st hits that the time will go by faster cuz right now it feels like time is inching. They said acceptances go out the 15th of every month. So maybe Jan 15th will be a great day! 2009 is going to be my year!

I have been doing some research on Howard..and I think I am falling in love!! I am in love with the mission statement because basically that's what I am trying to do. Serve in underserved areas..I will be applying this summer..really nervous though. I think I have enough clinical experience and all other great ECs, though nothing like WOW! Great! Never heard of that one! Is there any specific thing that I should do to help gain an acceptance there? I also wonder if you guys would suggest me applying while starting my SMP in the fall..and jus continue updating them with transcripts after my summer and fall courses?? Hopefully my MCATs will be strong enough...so they won't shred my app lol

Just wanted to send a good luck to those applying to Howard....

I think I may have seen some of you that have already interviewed but since I have no idea what you look like I can take a shot in the dark on that one....

Is anybody that has interviewed filling out FAFSA or are you waiting to hear your decision? Some people have said to fill it out now so if/when you do get accepted, it is ready to go. I don't want to get ahead of myself. What do yall think?

hey guys..see that no one answered my question lol...

any takers??

former applicants to Howard, students at Howard now??

PM me if necessary..

THANKS!!

I have been doing some research on Howard..and I think I am falling in love!! I am in love with the mission statement because basically that's what I am trying to do. Serve in underserved areas..I will be applying this summer..really nervous though. I think I have enough clinical experience and all other great ECs, though nothing like WOW! Great! Never heard of that one! Is there any specific thing that I should do to help gain an acceptance there? I also wonder if you guys would suggest me applying while starting my SMP in the fall..and jus continue updating them with transcripts after my summer and fall courses?? Hopefully my MCATs will be strong enough...so they won't shred my app lol
hey dr chuck

great to see you have such a strong interest! Keep doing what interests you & I would apply while taking your SMP and update with grades. good luck

What up yall!

Raise your hand if you feel like this:

:whistle:
or
:cry:
or
:scared:
or
:confused:

Counting the days...

When did you interview again? I am def trying to :whistle: the time away.

I love all the smilies :biglove: