Howard Anyone (Class of 2013)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SD.net has good medical school admission mojo

Members don't see this ad.

Wassup everybody! Any news?

Does anyone know how good Howard is with Fin. Aid. I also just got accepted to my state school with a 10K scholarship which makes it super cheap. Howard is still my #1 choice but I would like to have least amount of loans as possible. I sent the Fin Aid form back but does Howard have a good history of giving out scholarships.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how good Howard is with Fin. Aid. I also just got accepted to my state school with a 10K scholarship which makes it super cheap. Howard is still my #1 choice but I would like to have least amount of loans as possible. I sent the Fin Aid form back but does Howard have a good history of giving out scholarships.

Its probably going to come down to you weighing out whether going to your top school (Howard) is worth more money. State schools even without scholarships are generally less expensive than private schools. I would bet that Howard is going to be more expensive for you.

Congrats on both acceptances, and good luck on your big decision.

This will be a tough decision, I already sent in my deposit check for howard, but i'll probably have to think about it a little more or at least until I get some more fin. Aid info.

wow this thread really died, but after careful consideration with my family. I am going to stay close to home. It would have been an awesome experience to go to Howard but for financial reasons, and staying close to home is also important. So good luck to you everyone, hope someone waiting gets my spot.

Hey there everybody! How is everybody doing? Any news?

no news here :( I received an email last week Monday saying my letter was out of committee and awaiting a signature but I have not received anything since. Anyone else get something...anything at all? : )

no news here :( I received an email last week Monday saying my letter was out of committee and awaiting a signature but I have not received anything since. Anyone else get something...anything at all? : )

I'm no Washington insider but from the midterm letter saying they had 30 more spots; I think you just got one of them. Let us know soon so we can celebrate with you!!!

:D

Hey everyone, been viewing this site for a while now and finally signed up. I am a hopeful Howard Medical School Bound student from michigan and i am waiting for an acceptance letter. I was wondering how long it takes them to respond! I interviewed at the end of march and i could have sworn they said three weeks but nothing yet. I really want to go and for me its Howard or nothing! Anyone with some advice?

I think this most likely means you're in because I got the same email. Even though it say 2 weeks, I didn't get another email from Ms. Walk telling me that I could call for my decision until 3.5 weeks later and I was accepted. :laugh:So be patient and enjoy the spring weather.

I am an international student from Canada and I was wondering if Howard excepts any internationals? If there are any out there, do you mind sharing your stats?
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sad guys... I just found out that I was put on the alternate list. Its been a pretty hard blow. Has anyone else heard anything or been put on the alternate list as well? I wonder if that list gets much movement. Last year it seemed to move quickly but then again they also had more PARP spots last year. Ughh... it's been a pretty hard day for me here in rainy D.C. It's hard but I just have to keep trusting that what is for me will be for me : / Keep me in your prayers everyone!

I'm sad guys... I just found out that I was put on the alternate list. Its been a pretty hard blow. Has anyone else heard anything or been put on the alternate list as well? I wonder if that list gets much movement. Last year it seemed to move quickly but then again they also had more PARP spots last year. Ughh... it's been a pretty hard day for me here in rainy D.C. It's hard but I just have to keep trusting that what is for me will be for me : / Keep me in your prayers everyone!

Alternate is much better than a no... (although I will have to preface that statement with not knowing how much the list moves at Howard). I know that it is not best case scenario, but it is also not worst case. I believe that some people may be waiting until they get their financial aid package before they make their final decisions. The window of opportunity is still open, and will send a prayer up for you

There could be quite a bit of movement on May 15th so don't lose hope completely. Alternate list or not, you should have a solid Plan B which ensures that you won't have to use it. Get busy if this isn't the case.

Well I've already gotten into another school so I am lucky enough to have some where to go. I had two other late interviews as well so I'll wait to see how they pan out but I really really wanted to go to howard. I loved the school and I live in the area so it would really work out. I guess I just keep praying and hope for the best.

There could be quite a bit of movement on May 15th so don't lose hope completely. Alternate list or not, you should have a solid Plan B which ensures that you won't have to use it. Get busy if this isn't the case.

NJBMD, have you gotten started on that memoir? (I know you hate when I ask :D)

NJBMD, have you gotten started on that memoir? (I know you hate when I ask :D)

I have been writing some stuff. In any event, I will be at Howard on Saturday. I have to pick up a hood at the bookstore. I am faculty at a medical school and now have to march in. I found my academic regalia except for my hood. Ugh!! Now I have to buy another one and stop by HU Bookstore to pick it up.

There is no way I am marching without proudly displaying my Howard colors even though I could get by with just my GWU hood (Ph.D). I HAVE to wear Howard's which I lost somewhere between UVa and where I am located now. You would think that I would have lost GWs. Go figure! It's probably in some box folded away but I just can't seem to locate it by next week.

I am in Baltimore to give a lecture on Saturday morning (Hopkins). I am slipping down to DC on Saturday afternoon to get that hood. If I am lucky, I can catch up with UVABranch who should be studying hard for finals or exhausted from finals and looking forward to being a second-year student.

I have been writing some stuff.

Haha, good to hear.

In any event, I will be at Howard on Saturday. I have to pick up a hood at the bookstore. I am faculty at a medical school and now have to march in. I found my academic regalia except for my hood. Ugh!! Now I have to buy another one and stop by HU Bookstore to pick it up.

There is no way I am marching without proudly displaying my Howard colors even though I could get by with just my GWU hood (Ph.D). I HAVE to wear Howard's which I lost somewhere between UVa and where I am located now. You would think that I would have lost GWs. Go figure! It's probably in some box folded away but I just can't seem to locate it by next week.

I am in Baltimore to give a lecture on Saturday morning (Hopkins). I am slipping down to DC on Saturday afternoon to get that hood. If I am lucky, I can catch up with UVABranch who should be studying hard for finals or exhausted from finals and looking forward to being a second-year student.

It sounds like a pretty busy weekend. I'm scheduled to work at Howard U hosp on Sat. I would be glad to me you in person.

Haha, good to hear.

It sounds like a pretty busy weekend. I'm scheduled to work at Howard U hosp on Sat. I would be glad to me you in person.

The traffic was ugly but thanks to Ms. Jones in the bookstore, I have a beautiful new doctoral hood that has the Howard colors. I wish I had checked SDN earlier but I was in and out of DC in a hurry.

I hope to meet you at the White Coat Ceremony later this summer. So I will look for you. I always fly in for that ceremony. It's great to catch up with folks there.

I am now sitting in Va eating a bowl of pho, something that I can't get unless I fly to DC.

The traffic was ugly but thanks to Ms. Jones in the bookstore, I have a beautiful new doctoral hood that has the Howard colors. I wish I had checked SDN earlier but I was in and out of DC in a hurry.

I hope to meet you at the White Coat Ceremony later this summer. So I will look for you. I always fly in for that ceremony. It's great to catch up with folks there.

I am now sitting in Va eating a bowl of pho, something that I can't get unless I fly to DC.

To another day :).

Going to be in DC in middle of June (another weekend conference) and planning to stop by Howard. I recently participated (as a faculty member) in commencement exercises at the university where I teach. I was happy to wear my Howard colors. Since the commencement was televised, the TV cameras were on me for a long period of time. I must say, I had a great time and my green-striped doctoral gown with the blue and white of my hood is very distinctive.

Go Bison! We are everywhere!!

congratulations to everyone who has been accepted :) btw. does anyone know if anyone has been accepted after april 15th? Does Howard accept anyone that late? what is the latets acceptance date?

Last edited:
congratulations to everyone who has been accepted :) btw. does anyone know if anyone has been accepted after april 15th? Does Howard accept anyone that late? what is the latets acceptance date?

I believe people come off the wait list up until orientation on July 22nd.

Thank you so much. I can still hope then :)

Hi everyone! Just wanted to give those still waiting some hope. I was just accepted off of the waitlist today. I still can't believe I'm in, it was really by the grace of God :love:

Hi everyone! Just wanted to give those still waiting some hope. I was just accepted off of the waitlist today. I still can't believe I'm in, it was really by the grace of God :love:

Congrats!!! Welcome to the family. See you in less than a month.

That's what Im talking about! Congrats on the acceptance! Welcome to the family. HUCM is truly an awesome place and I have only been here for 2 weeks. Look forward to meeting you. If you are in DC already, you should stop by sometime. We are always at the school in class or studying. God is an AWESOME God! See you soon, God bless!

Along the lines of things to do:

I would encourage anyone who is not from DC to start looking for housing right now. The graduate side of the Towers is good if you are single and want convenience but those with families may want to start looking for housing right now.

This is a time that many folks who have graduated are leaving their places so the choices might be good. After all, you don't want to have to worry about finding a place to live and getting through orientation week at the same time. It's going to be hectic under the best of circumstance so get on housing now.

Another thing to do is make sure that all of your papers are in and correct. This means things like health forms, immunization records etc. Financial aid should have been done a while back or your loan money could be delayed (not good if you have rent to pay).

Congrats to all that have been accepted. Don't forget that once classes start, you won't have time (or the energy for that matter) to run errands. Get your stuff taken care of early. Also, make contact with your second-year advisers so that you can get what you need early.

congratulations :) God only knows what he has in store for me :) still waiting..

I got accepted to Howard med. a few days ago and I wanted to know if anyone needs a roomate or knows of a good place/area to live in and get to Howard easily.

I got accepted to Howard med. a few days ago and I wanted to know if anyone needs a roomate or knows of a good place/area to live in and get to Howard easily.

I know a couple of people who work/go to school at Howard and live in Maryland. They take the metro everyday.

I got into another medical school but I really want to be at Howard. I love the atmosphere and the area. I worked most of my life with disadvantaged population and I know I belong nowhere else. Ms. Walk put me in the alternate list. Does Howard call for interview this late? I am so worried..

Great thread, and congrats to all who made it in! I take the MCAT in August and am currently filling out my AMCAS, so here's hoping (praying) I'll be in the class of 2014!

The list is a mile long of places to stay. For me personally I am going to stay in Hyattsville, MD. It is about a 15-20 minute metro rise to Howard. If you map out some options it would be good to also try to make a trip up here if possible before signing a lease. If that is not possible, then you can send me a PM and we can talk about some options. Let me know.

Great thread, and congrats to all who made it in! I take the MCAT in August and am currently filling out my AMCAS, so here's hoping (praying) I'll be in the class of 2014!

Be blessed on your MCAT UVA. I think the most important thing with taking the MCAT in August is to go ahead and submit your AMCAS primaries and secondaries. This will make sure that your application is not delayed in the cycle and will maximize your chances of getting in. I have to preface this by saying send the secondaries in if you are scoring well enough on your practice exams to put yourself in the game. When I say put you in the game then I mean mid to upper twenties (>23). Having a 25 and applying EARLY can put you in the 'interview' category at Howard. Even if you are in the 22-24 range, then I would say still apply especially if you have a solid science GPA.

This goes for everyone, if you are serious about going to Howard or any institution; start forming your network now. SD.net was invaluable to me during my application process for networking. Communicate with current students and administrators about your desire to attend the institution well before the application process starts. Also, I would say don't be an innocent bystander. POST on the site and share your story with other people. People can learn from everyones individual stories.

Lastly, don't let naysayers get you down. Even if you do have a 30+ MCAT and 3.7+ GPA you are still not guaranteed to get into medical school. On the same token just because you have a 25 MCAT and a 2.9 GPA you are NOT out of the game. You may have to work 10 times harder and hit a homerun during your interview, but it is all possible.

Last but definitely not least. Stay prayed up. Time and time again the good Lord has opened doors for me that others said would never open.

Enjoy the ride, the application process is hectic but can be enjoyable if you remain optimistic.

Be blessed on your MCAT UVA. I think the most important thing with taking the MCAT in August is to go ahead and submit your AMCAS primaries and secondaries. This will make sure that your application is not delayed in the cycle and will maximize your chances of getting in. I have to preface this by saying send the secondaries in if you are scoring well enough on your practice exams to put yourself in the game. When I say put you in the game then I mean mid to upper twenties (>23). Having a 25 and applying EARLY can put you in the 'interview' category at Howard. Even if you are in the 22-24 range, then I would say still apply especially if you have a solid science GPA.

This goes for everyone, if you are serious about going to Howard or any institution; start forming your network now. SD.net was invaluable to me during my application process for networking. Communicate with current students and administrators about your desire to attend the institution well before the application process starts. Also, I would say don't be an innocent bystander. POST on the site and share your story with other people. People can learn from everyones individual stories.

Lastly, don't let naysayers get you down. Even if you do have a 30+ MCAT and 3.7+ GPA you are still not guaranteed to get into medical school. On the same token just because you have a 25 MCAT and a 2.9 GPA you are NOT out of the game. You may have to work 10 times harder and hit a homerun during your interview, but it is all possible.

Last but definitely not least. Stay prayed up. Time and time again the good Lord has opened doors for me that others said would never open.

Enjoy the ride, the application process is hectic but can be enjoyable if you remain optimistic.

Good Stuff! :thumbup: