Howard Anyone (Class of 2013)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One of the great advantages of attending Howard University College of Medicine is that from the first day of orientation, you realize that you stand in the halls of excellence and greatness. Good medicine is passed from one physician to another and no where in the United States is this more evident than at Howard University College of Medicine.

Thanks to my very strong foundation learned in the classrooms, halls and ORs of HUCM, I have operated with four former presidents of the American College of Surgeons. The first African-American president of the American College of surgeons looked across the table at me and said, "Scalpel to Drnjbmd" and that was a defining moment is my career.

Every hour that I spent in lecture, in study, in the Gross Anatomy lab, in the Pathology lab prepared me for the "ride of my life" and now I am passing that knowledge on to a new generation of physicians. Howard's roots run through me and now through the physicians (and other students) that I teach along with the research that I love. It is no accident that Howard produced many "firsts" and thousands more "bests" in clinical medicine.

I sincerely hope that the folks who wish to attend Howard get that acceptance letter. I can tell you that it was my first acceptance letter and it profoundly changed my life. Even today, as I still enjoy the fellowship of those that studied before me, with me and after me at Howard, I am in awe of how great Howard is and will be.

Not long ago, I sat down with UVABranch and I can tell you for sure, that she "gets it" and is working extremely hard to learn all of those things that will make her an outstanding physician and leader in medicine. All of the prestige in the world is meaningless unless you have a nurturing environment where YOU can learn the art and craft of medicine. When you are long gone from your medical school (and those 3 years [fourth year is away] go by fast), it will be those relationships with your professors and classmates that will become most important and will influence your success.

Even today, when I encounter some pathology that I want to discuss "off the record", my first phone call is to Dr. Fidelia-Lambert in the path department at HUCM from whom I know that I will get the inside story that I can't always get from my colleagues here. She is just one of hundreds of excellent physicians with whom you will develop close and lasting relationships with who are on the front line of fighting the diseases that plague our community.

The Howard physicians will always give you their best scholarship and teaching where in other institutions, you might be looked upon as a "token" or "affirmative action mistake". You will be pushed and challenged in ways that you thought were impossible but after you come through, you will be miles ahead of graduates of other institutions in terms of being ready for residency. It is not accident that Howard graduates match very well and at good institutions (Hopkins, Mayo, Stanford to name a few).

Black Surgeon is so very right with the post above. The "vibe" at Howard is amazing. In a time (Jan 20, 2009) when history was made a few blocks south of "W Street NW and Georgia Avenue" (yes, you can walk to Ben's Chili Bowl), excellence is made every day at HUCM.

NJBMD, NJBMD, NJBMD!!! I tell ya what, your sure do know how to get someone fired up! Man you be comin' with some for real HEAT! This post is AWESOME. I got more and more excited as I was reading your post. Howard really is a blessing and in my opinion the best school in the country. Just being inside/outside the Adams and Mudd buildings you get this feeling of WOW! At least I did. It is a feeling that overcomes you like a tidal wave! And when you read the history of the school or the history of the great physicians that Howard has produced, once again it's like WOW! The love and support that you feel just on the interview day is an amazing feeling. I can only imagine what it is like once you are in and apart of the HUCM family.

I really hope and pray I get the opportunity to attend this great school. It would be such an honor and a privilege to know that I will be surrounded by a tradition of greatness.

Come on Howard, bring me some great news!!! And also bring some great news for everybody else in this thread! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

One of the great advantages of attending Howard University College of Medicine is that from the first day of orientation, you realize that you stand in the halls of excellence and greatness. Good medicine is passed from one physician to another and no where in the United States is this more evident than at Howard University College of Medicine.

Thanks to my very strong foundation learned in the classrooms, halls and ORs of HUCM, I have operated with four former presidents of the American College of Surgeons. The first African-American president of the American College of surgeons looked across the table at me and said, "Scalpel to Drnjbmd" and that was a defining moment is my career.

Every hour that I spent in lecture, in study, in the Gross Anatomy lab, in the Pathology lab prepared me for the "ride of my life" and now I am passing that knowledge on to a new generation of physicians. Howard's roots run through me and now through the physicians (and other students) that I teach along with the research that I love. It is no accident that Howard produced many "firsts" and thousands more "bests" in clinical medicine.

I sincerely hope that the folks who wish to attend Howard get that acceptance letter. I can tell you that it was my first acceptance letter and it profoundly changed my life. Even today, as I still enjoy the fellowship of those that studied before me, with me and after me at Howard, I am in awe of how great Howard is and will be.

Not long ago, I sat down with UVABranch and I can tell you for sure, that she "gets it" and is working extremely hard to learn all of those things that will make her an outstanding physician and leader in medicine. All of the prestige in the world is meaningless unless you have a nurturing environment where YOU can learn the art and craft of medicine. When you are long gone from your medical school (and those 3 years [fourth year is away] go by fast), it will be those relationships with your professors and classmates that will become most important and will influence your success.

Even today, when I encounter some pathology that I want to discuss "off the record", my first phone call is to Dr. Fidelia-Lambert in the path department at HUCM from whom I know that I will get the inside story that I can't always get from my colleagues here. She is just one of hundreds of excellent physicians with whom you will develop close and lasting relationships with who are on the front line of fighting the diseases that plague our community.

The Howard physicians will always give you their best scholarship and teaching where in other institutions, you might be looked upon as a "token" or "affirmative action mistake". You will be pushed and challenged in ways that you thought were impossible but after you come through, you will be miles ahead of graduates of other institutions in terms of being ready for residency. It is not accident that Howard graduates match very well and at good institutions (Hopkins, Mayo, Stanford to name a few).

Black Surgeon is so very right with the post above. The "vibe" at Howard is amazing. In a time (Jan 20, 2009) when history was made a few blocks south of "W Street NW and Georgia Avenue" (yes, you can walk to Ben's Chili Bowl), excellence is made every day at HUCM.

This is a really great post. Some people will never get what it means to be able to fellowship and train at an institution like Howard University. I felt honored just to interview at Howard. Although I do not know whether I will get in at Howard or not, I had goose bumps which never happens. I am really glad to know that I am one of the people that does get what it means to train at HUCM. To those of you who have heard CONGRATS!!!!! To those of you who are waiting like me, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!!!

If I do get accepted, then you better believe that I am taking my seat.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a really great post. Some people will never get what it means to be able to fellowship and train at an institution like Howard University. I felt honored just to interview at Howard. Although I do not know whether I will get in at Howard or not, I had goose bumps which never happens. I am really glad to know that I am one of the people that does get what it means to train at HUCM. To those of you who have heard CONGRATS!!!!! To those of you who are waiting like me, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!!!

If I do get accepted, then you better believe that I am taking my seat.

Wassup Beerog. How you doing my man? Still haven't heard anything uh? Me neither, just trying to wait as patiently as possible. Well I will continue to pray for you and hopefully we will end up being classmates in July.

I haven't been in these parts in AGES...congrats to those who made it, and good luck to those still waiting!

Njbmd, you seem like such a wonderful person. You passion for your profession is awe inspiring.

Bump!

Any news out there? How is everybody doing?

Hello everyone,

I've been calling the admission office for the past two weeks, but haven't gotten through. The phone just rings and rings. There's not even an option to leave a message. I've also emailed to check my status, and no reply :( I'm getting a bit anxious because I heard that decision would be made on the 15th of the month. Has anyone try calling the admission office lately? Am I the only one having problems getting through? (202) 806-6279 is the number I've been calling.

Thanks.

Hey Folks,
It's getting into match time. Dean Cannon, who is the Dean of Admissions, is the same dean who handles the match and residency issues at Howard. I would expect things to move slowly in the next month as the school gears up for the San Francisco match (it just finished) and the regular match (later this month). She is also the Associate Dean of Students too and is dealing with student issues that happen at this time of the year.

Howard does move slowly so chill out. No news is good news and like UVABranch put in her post above, she was accepted in April and not off of a waitlist. I am certain that they are inundated with calls at this point as people would love to know decisions but things move at the pace that they need to move at.

As things get later in the year, there will be loads of shifting and moving around at Howard. The May 15th date for Howard turns out to be a huge shift date too. If you have been interviewed and you don't have a rejection, then chill out and wait (do you have a choice?).

Howard will get your decision to you when they get it done. The Inauguration delayed some things and some things just run slowly. As Doctajay says, "Pray alot" because all good things come in time.

At my two schools, where I do admissions, we are slowing down and not doing any more interviews (we were done the last week in Feb) as we have our classes set and the waitlist established. We are about to send out a mass of rejection letters (hope no one is on that list). Howard at least is interviewing some folks in March.

Chill folks, I am pulling for the people who want to be a member of the Class of 2013 but do take heart in that if you don't have a rejection, you are still under consideration and I hope you hear something good soon.

Hello everyone,

I've been calling the admission office for the past two weeks, but haven't gotten through. The phone just rings and rings. There's not even an option to leave a message. I've also emailed to check my status, and no reply :( I'm getting a bit anxious because I heard that decision would be made on the 15th of the month. Has anyone try calling the admission office lately? Am I the only one having problems getting through? (202) 806-6279 is the number I've been calling.

Thanks.

Hey Newtokyo. A friend of mine at HUCM told me that they are really busy with some administration things right now so that is probably the reason you haven't heard anything. When did you interview? I interviewed on 12/10 and haven't heard anything yet, but its ok. Like NJBMD said, they will let us know as soon as they can. I don't believe that Howard wants to get us all anxious, I think they are genuinely excited about telling people their good news, we just have to try and be patient and wait for our blessing! Keep coming on here and talking to everybody. I found that, that helps me to calm down. Especially when NJBMD comes around, she is really good at getting us anxious folks to chillax a lil bit. Thank you NJB for all of your help. Our good news is on its way, lets all just remain prayed up and have faith that the Lord will see us through. God bless!

Do anyone know if Howard is still sending out interview invites?

Thanks for the advice everyone, I interviewed 12/9 and still havent heard anything. I just keep praying and hoping because howard is one of my top choices. So does anyone think this 15th is going to be our lucky day.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I interviewed 12/9 and still havent heard anything. I just keep praying and hoping because howard is one of my top choices. So does anyone think this 15th is going to be our lucky day.

I have a feeling it will be. Did you get the email that said your file is out of committee and your decision will be in the mail on or around the 15th? I got that email in January for 2/15.

Do anyone know if Howard is still sending out interview invites?

I believe they are. I know there are a couple of people around here who are interviewing next week. Just keep praying and believing. Hope you get that invite. God bless!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a feeling it will be. Did you get the email that said your file is out of committee and your decision will be in the mail on or around the 15th? I got that email in January for 2/15.
I never got that email, in all honesty i have been having trouble with emails from them. When I got my interview invite, I had to get it delaye, but they didnt send me a confirmation until I asked them again a week before my requested date. I am hoping not getting that email doesnt mean bad news because I really liked Howard.

BTW. Was the email they sent personalized or a mass email?

Wow I just got the email saying my file is out of the committee and the decision will be sent around mar 15. Pray to god its good news. Did anyone else just get this email. Pray for me.

Wow I just got the email saying my file is out of the committee and the decision will be sent around mar 15. Pray to god its good news. Did anyone else just get this email. Pray for me.

I will definitely be praying for you and hoping we will be classmates. I didn't get it, that is probably because I got the email in January. You just it right now?

Yea, right after I wrote that first response I had an email ring. Its weird maybe its a good sign from god. I'll keep you all in my prayers too, hope for good news.

Hello everyone,

Thanks.

Hi!

I've tried calling that number too and I don't have any luck with reaching anyone. I tried calling 806-0270 and the main HUCM number with no luck. :confused: Please post if you are able to reach someone in the office!

Hi!

I've tried calling that number too and I don't have any luck with reaching anyone. I tried calling 806-0270 and the main HUCM number with no luck. :confused: Please post if you are able to reach someone in the office!

Have you already interviewed? If so your email notification might be on its way. Just sit tight, as much as possible.

Yea, right after I wrote that first response I had an email ring. Its weird maybe its a good sign from god. I'll keep you all in my prayers too, hope for good news.

If accepted pakidoc, are you going to attend?

Have you already interviewed? If so your email notification might be on its way. Just sit tight, as much as possible.

I'm still waiting for an interview and hoping they read my update/interest letter. Trying to stay calm but it's easier said than done.

Right now Howard is my #2 choice, my first choice is an IS school which I am waiting to hear from. Howard has impressed me the most of all my interviews, but in the end the state school will be much cheaper and saving the extra 50-60K will be worth it i think.

I would absolutely love you if thats the case, and since B2B seems to have gotten the same email i dont mind being in the same group as him.

I have a feeling that that email usually means good news --even if the good news doesn't necessarily come on the date specified!

I would have to agree. People who have gotten email this cycle and in the past have received acceptances.

I would absolutely love you if thats the case, and since B2B seems to have gotten the same email i dont mind being in the same group as him.

I say rejoice and start thanking the Lord now for your blessing. Time to start thinking about which school you really want to be at. Hopefully you will choose Howard and we all can be classmates! I would love to be in the same batch as you pakidoc. Let's hope and pray!

There isn't a HUCM class of 2013 in the allo section. I was going to start it but I told myself to wait until I received my acceptance. So if anybody who is in wants to start it, feel free.

I dont want to jinx anything but my god I am really hoping to hear some good news in a couple of weeks. God knows I have been needing one recently.

thanks for the replies.

i interviewed in late january. but i didn't get that email about a decision being reached on my file. oh man...getting really worried now.

good luck to you all.

check in the allo threads now
HUCM class of 2013!!!!

thanks for the replies.

i interviewed in late january. but i didn't get that email about a decision being reached on my file. oh man...getting really worried now.

good luck to you all.

Hey! I interviewed the first week of February newtokyo and have not received anything yet either... Our time is coming, wait and hope and everything will work itself out

I am getting excited about Howard hoping the letter is good news. :)

c6425b5ea472d08848c6aec2ab09ca93ba12e3a.gif

Where's my interview?:mad:

I was flying this past weekend. While I was sitting in BWI airport, waiting for my plane to get ready, one of my former Howard professors walked up to me and said, "I know you!". I looked at her familiar eyes and just couldn't place her name (its been more than a few year mind you). She was one of my Gross Anatomy professors. (She is now heading research at a private company after having left Howard for some exciting opportunities). Certainly a loss for Howard but a wonderful opportunity for this very creative scientist.

After 15 seconds, it was as if no time had passed at all and we were catching up. I could recall all of those hours working in the Gross lab and learning all of those structures with her help and guidance. Yes, I literally "lived" in the Gross lab until I mastered everything that I needed for the course. I was out of a class of 125 folks and she remembered me! That's Howard folks. That's why I chose Howard over five other medical schools including my wonderful state schools.

I was flying this past weekend. While I was sitting in BWI airport, waiting for my plane to get ready, one of my former Howard professors walked up to me and said, "I know you!". I looked at her familiar eyes and just couldn't place her name (its been more than a few year mind you). She was one of my Gross Anatomy professors. (She is now heading research at a private company after having left Howard for some exciting opportunities). Certainly a loss for Howard but a wonderful opportunity for this very creative scientist.

After 15 seconds, it was as if no time had passed at all and we were catching up. I could recall all of those hours working in the Gross lab and learning all of those structures with her help and guidance. Yes, I literally "lived" in the Gross lab until I mastered everything that I needed for the course. I was out of a class of 125 folks and she remembered me! That's Howard folks. That's why I chose Howard over five other medical schools including my wonderful state schools.

See..... that's what I'm talking about! I can't wait to have that feeling!

So do you guys think we have a good chance of actually hearing something close to the 15th of this month?

So do you guys think we have a good chance of actually hearing something close to the 15th of this month?

Well I am hoping and praying because I interviewed on 12/10 and Beerog interviewed before me, So I am praying and believing that we will hear this month. Last month 2 of my friends got emails the friday before the 15th, since the 15th is on a sunday. So I am hoping that is when we will hear! I will be sending up prayers everyday that we all will be hearing some great news next week. We just have to keep the faith, keep praying, keep believing, trust the Lord, and claim what is ours in Jesus Name!!!

Well I am hoping and praying because I interviewed on 12/10 and Beerog interviewed before me, So I am praying and believing that we will hear this month. Last month 2 of my friends got emails the friday before the 15th, since the 15th is on a sunday. So I am hoping that is when we will hear! I will be sending up prayers everyday that we all will be hearing some great news next week. We just have to keep the faith, keep praying, keep believing, trust the Lord, and claim what is ours in Jesus Name!!!

I will pray for all of us.

Hello there everybody! Is everybody excited for the possibilities this week may hold? I know I am! Let's go Howard, Let's go! *clap, clap* :D

I'll be there on the March 10th date. Hopefully I'll see some of you there :)

So wishing, how was your interview day? I know Howard is your #1, so was it everything you thought it would be?

Does anyone know when the financial aid refund is processed? That is, would the money be in our bank accounts before or after (& how long after) school starts? Also, how soon will we need to have the computer after class begins -can't get that w/o the financial aid! (Having the funds to help w/ rent wouldn't hurt either). Maybe current students can chime in.

Fin aid processing can vary. If you have all your materials together, ie you are verified, they you can have your refund in about a week after school starts. If not then you can have some trouble getting your money. They do have direct deposit if you supply a blank, voided check. The second semester I got the refund the day after classes started, it could have been earlier as I wasn't expecting it to be there.

The computers are distributed during orientation whether you have fin aid or not because it is expected that your finances will be covered at some point. And if I remember correctly you can get the computer a couple of days before orientation, I believe 3 to 5 days before.

I had all of my financial aid stuff done at my interview. My refund check was in my account about 4 days after school started (within orientation). I had plenty of stuff to keep me busy and my second-year advisor had hooked me up with books that she was anxious to get out of her closet. Earlier always works with financial aid.

I have been accepted to Howard University College of Medicine, class of 2013!!!!!!!!! Hallelujah, thank you Jesus!!!!!

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::banana::banana::banana::zip::zip::zip:

Congrats BD2B....I have to figure out how to get those dancing smilies... its so festive.

I have been accepted to Howard University College of Medicine, class of 2013!!!!!!!!! Hallelujah, thank you Jesus!!!!!

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::banana::banana::banana::zip::zip::zip:

My prayers are answered! I am so thrilled for you! Wow! Congratulations and remember what I said to you a while back! My fellow Bison!!! Yea!!!:thumbup::thumbup: You know that you have to go up to our sticky thread and add your name under Howard for "officially class of 2013"

congratulations to everyone that has been accepted. did you get letters through the mail? i'm still waiting...

congratulations to everyone that has been accepted. did you get letters through the mail? i'm still waiting...

Nothing in the mail yet. Just an email from Ms. Walk. I know the waiting hurts, believe me and Beerog. I interviewed in December and Beerog interviewed in October. It will come. Just keep the faith.

Nothing in the mail yet. Just an email from Ms. Walk. I know the waiting hurts, believe me and Beerog. I interviewed in December and Beerog interviewed in October. It will come. Just keep the faith.
Watch out Howard! Ow Ow! What an amazing day

I also interviewed in Dec but nothing yet. Was the email sent you guys personalized or a general one, if it was personalized than I think Ms Walk was really excited about your acceptance and sent you guys an email since she knows you guys. And the rest of us will hopefully find out in mail. Just a theory.