Howard Anyone (Class of 2013)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mezmerized7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this was answered already but when does Howard start to send secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if this was answered already but when does Howard start to send secondaries?

Usually in August, I believe. But of course people like UVA and NJBMD would know more so than me. This is going to be a fun year, In Jesus Name!!!

waiting on those secondaries alright. i took MCAT 7/18. i hope i did okay. i really want to be complete as early as possible so i can increase my chances of an interview

Members don't see this ad :)
waiting on those secondaries alright. i took MCAT 7/18. i hope i did okay. i really want to be complete as early as possible so i can increase my chances of an interview

Hey Mimi! Im sure you did well. Did you submit your amcas yet?

Hey Mimi! Im sure you did well. Did you submit your amcas yet?

yes..i have already submitted AMCAS and verified as well. am working on morehouse and sunny upstate secondary now. am waiting for Howard and meharry. hopefully am complete by late august in all out of state schools.

letters of evaluation are also what i need to finalized. i already have 3 so far.am doing the individual letters and not a committee package..we will see how that goes.

I'm wondering when I should start a Howard thread for this year. This thread was awesome but it is 2012's thread and we need one for 2013. Well, there is not time like the present. Congrats again 2012! I hope yall rock it and I pray I get to meet you all in the near future, In Jesus Name! God bless!

I'm wondering when I should start a Howard thread for this year. This thread was awesome but it is 2012's thread and we need one for 2013. Well, there is not time like the present. Congrats again 2012! I hope yall rock it and I pray I get to meet you all in the near future, In Jesus Name! God bless!

Since I was sitting here in my hotel room (just finished a meeting), I thought I would start a new thread for you. I am officially "cloaking" UVABranch at the HUCM White Coat Ceremony later this evening. I hope to meet up with a few more SDN folks who are now Bison! Well done folks and the best is yet to come!:thumbup:

Since I was sitting here in my hotel room (just finished a meeting), I thought I would start a new thread for you. I am officially "cloaking" UVABranch at the HUCM White Coat Ceremony later this evening. I hope to meet up with a few more SDN folks who are now Bison! Well done folks and the best is yet to come!:thumbup:

Hey NJBMD, how was the white coat ceremony and how was it to cloak UVA?

Hey NJBMD, how was the white coat ceremony and how was it to cloak UVA?

It was a great ceremony. Remember this quote, "Have a long memory for your failures and a short memory for your successes." It was one of the key points from Clive O. Callender M.D. who was the keynote speaker for this ceremony. Anyone there who heard his story could not help but admire this man's journey. He NEEDS to write a book for all of us because he was truly inspiring.

UVABranch is going to be a true "rock star" at Howard. She is on her way to an amazing career and off to a great start. I was honored to cloak her and to celebrate the beginning of her career. We will hear much from her to come. I heard many great comments about her already from folks in the administration at HUCM.

I didn't meet some of the other folks. It was hot and crowded and I had been in Baltimore in meetings most of the day. I did have a great time seeing some of my professors such as Dr. Deborah Smith who was one of my OB-Gyn professors and works with HIV/AIDS patients at Whitman-Walker clinic. If you know anything about working with the AIDS/HIV community, Whitman-Walker set the standards for outreach to this population.

Other wonderful people that I was happy to see were: Dr Jayam Trouth, the chair of neurology who taught me neurology, Dr. Victor Scott who was the first person to teach me how to drive a colonoscope when I was a fourth year and of course Dr. Callender who was my faculty adviser for my four years at HUCM.

I also met Dr. Mildred Clark who is an OB-Gyn who works in the Mississippi Delta. I had not met Dr. Clark before the WCC but she was one of the most inspiring people I have ever encountered. She fights the fight in the trenches on a daily basis to provide the best health care that she can for people who have practically nothing. I have invited Dr. Clark to come and address the medical students in my classes now because she had a message for everyone. She is truly a great lady and dedicated physician.

This ceremony is a great way to remember why one goes into medicine in the first place. I was energized and refreshed.

It was a great ceremony. Remember this quote, "Have a long memory for your failures and a short memory for your successes." It was one of the key points from Clive O. Callender M.D. who was the keynote speaker for this ceremony. Anyone there who heard his story could not help but admire this man's journey. He NEEDS to write a book for all of us because he was truly inspiring.

UVABranch is going to be a true "rock star" at Howard. She is on her way to an amazing career and off to a great start. I was honored to cloak her and to celebrate the beginning of her career. We will hear much from her to come. I heard many great comments about her already from folks in the administration at HUCM.

I didn't meet some of the other folks. It was hot and crowded and I had been in Baltimore in meetings most of the day. I did have a great time seeing some of my professors such as Dr. Deborah Smith who was one of my OB-Gyn professors and works with HIV/AIDS patients at Whitman-Walker clinic. If you know anything about working with the AIDS/HIV community, Whitman-Walker set the standards for outreach to this population.

Other wonderful people that I was happy to see were: Dr Jayam Trouth, the chair of neurology who taught me neurology, Dr. Victor Scott who was the first person to teach me how to drive a colonoscope when I was a fourth year and of course Dr. Callender who was my faculty adviser for my four years at HUCM.

I also met Dr. Mildred Clark who is an OB-Gyn who works in the Mississippi Delta. I had not met Dr. Clark before the WCC but she was one of the most inspiring people I have ever encountered. She fights the fight in the trenches on a daily basis to provide the best health care that she can for people who have practically nothing. I have invited Dr. Clark to come and address the medical students in my classes now because she had a message for everyone. She is truly a great lady and dedicated physician.

This ceremony is a great way to remember why one goes into medicine in the first place. I was energized and refreshed.

That is awesome. I also really like that quote because it is one that will keep you motivated. Hearing this is getting me all excited. I really hope I get accepted for the class of 2013!!!

Hey everybody, just wanted to stop by and say wassup

That is so sweet!!!! Good luck to those applying this year.

So I received an e-mail stating that secondaries will be sent out at latest sept 15...

Members don't see this ad :)
Wassup everybody! How yall doing? Did you guys get the email from Howard?

I sent in my Application and fee with pics the next day . Hope to get there in 2-3 days. I ve heard so much great things about howard. I wantto get an interview there so bad
Good luck everyone.

any idea when they get back to you for interviews? a month later?

I sent in my secondary today so hopefully it will get there by wednesday or so. That is what the lady told me so we shall see. I really want to go to Howard. I am hoping I can get an interview too!

Man, this thread is still on the first page!!! :eek: We gotta get things going around here! Lets get hot people, LOL! HOWARD, HOWARD, HOWARD!!!

Any updates out there?

Just wanted to say good luck to all you Howard University College of Medicine hopefuls from the class of 2012.......

Any questions or concerns PM me.....

I recently submitted my secondary, but have not gotten a confirmation of receipt from the admissions office? Is anyone else in the same boat? Thanks for your help guys!

Just wanted to say good luck to all you Howard University College of Medicine hopefuls from the class of 2012.......

I recently submitted my secondary, but have not gotten a confirmation of receipt from the admissions office? Is anyone else in the same boat? Thanks for your help guys!

In the Howard Secondary thread, unsung said she called the Adm Office, and they informed her that they do not send complete e-mails b/c there are only 3 employees. :scared:

3 employees? I know the economy is down and all
but u cant downsize and hope 3 ppl can handle 2000+ applications
Are they in bankruptcy mode trying to cut cost?
Hopefully they have the resources to produce good doctors. I dont want to be sharing stestoscopes when I get there

They are not in bankruptcy or anything like that. People are probably out sick and they might be short staffed or something. I spoke to Ms. Walk before and she told me this was the situation then. It could also be that because of their move they have going on. Im sure everything is ok. Although I do look forward to hearing something.

Hey Rual. Thank you very much. Hopefully I will get to be apart of 2013 at Howard. How is school going so far? I probably will be pming you.

Howdy doody everybody!

Just mailed off my secondary today:). Good luck guys.

just contacted howard to inquire as to my status. its a 3 person office right now..eek! but they said they've received 1500 applications in the span of 10 days. they havn't even looked at references yet, their up to their necks. i feel sry for those folks.

just contacted howard to inquire as to my status. its a 3 person office right now..eek! but they said they've received 1500 applications in the span of 10 days. they havn't even looked at references yet, their up to their necks. i feel sry for those folks.

I know. I spoke to Ms Walk yesterday and she said the same thing. That does stink for them. I feel bad for them as well. I hope they get their help back so they don't drowned(hope I spelled that right :laugh:). I am looking forward to hearing back about interviews. I really hope I am blessed to receive one.

How are you doing this morning Copacetic!?

ive got pre-med syndrome characterized by constant checking of sdn forums, medical school application status checks, sporadic heart palpitations, occasional cold sweats, generalized anxiety, and occasional random cussing for no reason at all.

ive got pre-med syndrome characterized by constant checking of sdn forums, medical school application status checks, sporadic heart palpitations, occasional cold sweats, generalized anxiety, and occasional random cussing for no reason at all.

:laugh:. I feel you. I have this issue of checking my email at work every 30-60min or so! Its ridiculous, HAHAHAHA! I need to cool out and relax. It is going to be a long year. Ms. Walk said they start interviewing in September. It would be bomb to get one of those and and get an early acceptance, In Jesus Name!!!

I have it too! :eek: which is soooo weird b/c I'm usually such a calm, collected person. (I don't do drugs, but I'm often asked if I have some weed...I'm just THAT chill. :laugh:) Now I wake up every morning looking like this:
tyrone_biggums.jpg

And checking status pages before I even brush my teeth. :(

I just keep praying!

I have it too! :eek: which is soooo weird b/c I'm usually such a calm, collected person. (I don't do drugs, but I'm often asked if I have some weed...I'm just THAT chill. :laugh:) Now I wake up every morning looking like this:
tyrone_biggums.jpg

And checking status pages before I even brush my teeth. :(

I just keep praying!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm suffering from something similar called pre-dent syndrome. The aforementioned symptoms are also seen in those suffering from this horrible affliction, but additional symptoms include checking email/voicemail/post mail 6 or more times per day, headaches, stomachaches, and in rare cases nightmares about being rejected. :(

LOL @ looking like Tyrone Biggums...:laugh:

Wassup everybody! How is the app process coming along? I'm just waiting and praying! I'm believing God to do a mighty work!

I submitted my secondary about two weeks ago. I am praying for everyone. It is my first time applying and I am 27. This application process has been much harder than I thought, but by the grace of GOD I will be in medical school next year. I visited Howard a few times and it is definately one of my top choices for medical school. Let me know if you get an interview!

Wassup folks! Is everybody hanging in there?

Wassup everybody!

got my official notification of application receipt by email 2 days ago. theys till cant confrim letters of reference sicne they are understaffed. basically there is a 2 week lag in time for the emails to update you to pertinent info...wow

To all you Howard hopefuls....

Calm down a little. Howard is notoriously slow and their interview season normally doesn't pick up until late October. Most of my class mates were interviewed in Dec, Jan, and Feb. so do sweat it.

Oh yeah...to anyone that's interviewing and what to get some info pm me and i'll be willing to give all the juicy details....

Good luck to you all.....

Now back to studying......:(

RuralMD,

I wanted to ask you a few questions. Can you send me your email address. Thanks.

Regards,

I got the e-mail last night at 9:00pm with the invitation. I was jumping up and down, LITERALLY. Good luck everyone, I am praying for you.

I got the e-mail last night at 9:00pm with the invitation. I was jumping up and down, LITERALLY. Good luck everyone, I am praying for you.

Congrats Beerog! Thats wassup. When is your interview? This is exciting o know that people are getting interviews. I hope and pray I am one of those people coming up!

They ask you what are your top two choices for interview dates. I sent those in, but haven't heard back. I chose either the 14th or 15th of this month.

Just an update:
I was at Howard this past weekend. I brought UVABranch some lunch and reviewed some electron micrographs and blood slides with her for an upcoming test. She's doing us proud here at SDN and doing quite well at Howard. It's an exciting year for the Class of 2012 and it's an exciting time. They are going to be starting Gross Anatomy soon and they are going to be starting some clinical experiences too.

I am very, very impressed with the manner in which Howard has changed their curriculum. The curriculum is very integrated and will prepare anyone very well for a high score on USMLE Steps I, II CK and CS. Under the now permanent Dean, Dr. Taylor and the new Dean of Education, it's an outstanding medical school. There is remodeling underway and loads of things that will make this school even more outstanding.

For all of the folks that have applied this year, if you get an acceptance, you can be very assured that you education will be cutting edge. There have been some major changes at Howard since I was there and they are all good. From my experience at Howard, I was able to go anywhere that I desired and now things are even better. It's all good!

To let everyone know.....the interviews at Howard officially begin on Oct 14

This information comes directly from some friends I have on the admission committee....

Good luck to you all....

PM me if you want more information.....

Hey Guys,

I am also applying to howard. I am sending my secondary application this Monday. I hope I get an interview. Do you know if they screen people who does not have the minimum 22 on the MCAT? I miss it by 1 point.

Good morning everybody! Hopefully today is the day we get some good news.