Howard Anyone (Class of 2013)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats BlackDr2B...It is so good to hear that you got accepted to Howard. Your patience and perseverance is admirable. Best wishes to you and your upcoming journey in med school. I hope one day, I will be able to attend Howard Med School as well. God Bless!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I also interviewed in Dec but nothing yet. Was the email sent you guys personalized or a general one, if it was personalized than I think Ms Walk was really excited about your acceptance and sent you guys an email since she knows you guys. And the rest of us will hopefully find out in mail. Just a theory.

The email seemed to be a general one. One of my friends friends got the acceptance yesterday as well. It's ok Pakidoc, it is coming. Just remain as positive as you can and just keep praying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewed in Dec but nothing yet. Was the email sent you guys personalized or a general one, if it was personalized than I think Ms Walk was really excited about your acceptance and sent you guys an email since she knows you guys. And the rest of us will hopefully find out in mail. Just a theory.

I would also send in e-mails like once a month about updates (e.g. you have been accepted to said school but Howard is your top choice, i just got a paper published in JBC or PNAS, i just had an awesome experience doing a month of volunteering at planned parenthood). Also, a well crafted short and to the point letter of intent is always a good thing.

I have a feeling that these things helped push me over the top.

The fact that you did interview is awesome, and I don't know if you have already done these things...

Just my $0.02

I interviewed the very first day of interviews and just heard back, so don't loose hope.

Last edited:
I'll try calling on tuesday when they are open again to calls. I have been sending update letters from my masters program. I'll send another one about ECs that I have been doing lately. Other than that I guess i'll just keep hoping and praying to be your classmate in July.

I have been accepted to Howard University College of Medicine, class of 2013!!!!!!!!! Hallelujah, thank you Jesus!!!!!

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::banana::banana::banana::zip::zip::zip:

There is no acceptance like the first one (top choice or last), its an irreplaceable, blissful and intangible feeling. :D

Congrats BD2b and again to you Beerog (fellowship all you want ;)). Howard class of 2013!!!!!!

There is no acceptance like the first one (top choice or last), its an irreplaceable, blissful and intangible feeling. :D

Congrats BD2b and again to you Beerog (fellowship all you want ;)). Howard class of 2013!!!!!!

congrats bro!

See you in the July I-baby! Thank you!

No prob. We don't start until August so I probably won't be there till the end of July but can't wait to meet you! Again congratulations!!!

Congrats to you too Beerog!!!

For those of you still waiting, keep the faith and (though easier said than done) be patient. If you have done all that you can do at this point, then just leave the rest to God. He will take you exactly where you need to go :)

Last edited:
No prob. We don't start until August so I probably won't be there till the end of July but can't wait to meet you! Again congratulations!!!

Congrats to you too Beerog!!!

For those of you still waiting, keep the faith and (though easier said than done) be patient. If you have done all that you can do at this point, then just leave the rest to God. He will take you exactly where you need to go :)

Thanks for the dental school love. I actually have to have my wisdom teeth pulled a couple of weeks before orientation... ouch

Thanks for the dental school love. I actually have to have my wisdom teeth pulled a couple of weeks before orientation... ouch

Better than during the first week of class. You will up and going in a couple of days so this is a good thing.

Better than during the first week of class. You will up and going in a couple of days so this is a good thing.

NJBMD, have you gotten started on that memoir? I have read many surgical memoirs of middle aged white men from the "good old boys club" era but none from an African American woman of today's world ;).

Last edited:
So can anyone give me any tips on how to write a letter of intent, who to address it to and anything that will be useful. I really want to write one but I have not written one to any other school and am not sure how to go about it.

So can anyone give me any tips on how to write a letter of intent, who to address it to and anything that will be useful. I really want to write one but I have not written one to any other school and am not sure how to go about it.

I personally don't know how to write a LOI, but I would say just speak from your heart and tell them why Howard, why it is a good fit for you, what you will contribute, how Howard will help you achieve your goals, what you love about Howard. Just be honest with them and don't try to BS them because you want a seat. I don't think you would do that, but I am just saying. And most important of all, KEEP PRAYING and BELIEVING!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
NJBMD, have you gotten started on that memoir? I have read many surgical memoirs of middle aged white men from the "good old boys club" era but none from an African American woman of today's world ;).

Look at this article.Dr. Velma Scantlebury This is the woman who needs to be writing her surgical memoirs. Also, look at the folks who surround her and you will see Lynt Johnson, MD and Clive O. Callender, M.D (standing next to Dr. Scantlebury). These guys along with Debra Ford, M.D. came before me. I have had the opportunities that I enjoy because of these folks and their hard work, teaching and mentor ship. Dr. Callender was my faculty adviser at Howard and has been a profound influence on how I always thank God for what I have been given and how I have been able to make the right choices. Those choices have been difficult at times but I have has the hand of God on my shoulder when making them. I also thank God for the privilege of being able to treat patients and to see the dignity and majesty of his presence in all of my fellow men and women. I have been truly blessed and I hope to pass those blessings on to my students and patients too.

To all those folks who have been accepted and will attend Howard University College of Medicine: You will literally touch history every day that you will spend at Howard. You will come to know why Howard is one of the best medical schools in the country for training physicians who can practice excellent and high quality medicine. You come to realize how the teachings of Dr. Daniel Hale Williams flowed down to Dr. Charles Drew whose wisdom and teaching flowed to Dr. LaSalle Lefalle, Jr and Dr. Clive O. Callender whose teachings and wisdom flowed to Dr. Eddie Cornwell, III and Dr. Debra Ford and down to you. It's truly a blessing every day and you walk through those halls on the second floor with the eyes of those who have come before (even mine are there) and you have their sprit to push you on to greatness. There is no medical school like this in the country and we (the graduates) have been thriving in this fellowship.

Last edited by a moderator:
look at this article.dr. Velma scantlebury this is the woman who needs to be writing her surgical memoirs. Also, look at the folks who surround her and you will see lynt johnson, md and clive o. Callender, m.d (standing next to dr. Scantlebury). These guys along with debra ford, m.d. Came before me. I have had the opportunities that i enjoy because of these folks and their hard work, teaching and mentor ship. Dr. Callender was my faculty adviser at howard and has been a profound influence on how i always thank god for what i have been given and how i have been able to make the right choices. Those choices have been difficult at times but i have has the hand of god on my shoulder when making them. I also thank god for the privilege of being able to treat patients and to see the dignity and majesty of his presence in all of my fellow men and women. I have been truly blessed and i hope to pass those blessings on to my students and patients too.

To all those folks who have been accepted and will attend howard university college of medicine: You will literally touch history every day that you will spend at howard. You will come to know why howard is one of the best medical schools in the country for training physicians who can practice excellent and high quality medicine. You come to realize how the teachings of dr. Daniel hale williams flowed down to dr. Charles drew whose wisdom and teaching flowed to dr. Lasalle lefalle, jr and dr. Clive o. Callender whose teachings and wisdom flowed to dr. Eddie cornwell, iii and dr. Debra ford and down to you. It's truly a blessing every day and you walk through those halls on the second floor with the eyes of those who have come before (even mine are there) and you have their sprit to push you on to greatness. There is no medical school like this in the country and we (the graduates) have been thriving in this fellowship.

amen

I personally don't know how to write a LOI, but I would say just speak from your heart and tell them why Howard, why it is a good fit for you, what you will contribute, how Howard will help you achieve your goals, what you love about Howard. Just be honest with them and don't try to BS them because you want a seat. I don't think you would do that, but I am just saying. And most important of all, KEEP PRAYING and BELIEVING!!!
Yea I was going to write about why its perfect for me, but I was just wondering like who to write it too. SHould i write it the committee or to Ms Walk.

Yea I was going to write about why its perfect for me, but I was just wondering like who to write it too. SHould i write it the committee or to Ms Walk.

It doesn't really matter. I wrote one at georgetown to the admissions director which in Howard's case would be Mrs. Walk. It will go in your file either way and be reviewed by the committee when the time arrives. Good Luck!

Look at this article.Dr. Velma Scantlebury This is the woman who needs to be writing her surgical memoirs. Also, look at the folks who surround her and you will see Lynt Johnson, MD and Clive O. Callender, M.D (standing next to Dr. Scantlebury). These guys along with Debra Ford, M.D. came before me. I have had the opportunities that I enjoy because of these folks and their hard work, teaching and mentor ship. Dr. Callender was my faculty adviser at Howard and has been a profound influence on how I always thank God for what I have been given and how I have been able to make the right choices. Those choices have been difficult at times but I have has the hand of God on my shoulder when making them. I also thank God for the privilege of being able to treat patients and to see the dignity and majesty of his presence in all of my fellow men and women. I have been truly blessed and I hope to pass those blessings on to my students and patients too.

Haha, its funny you mention Dr. Clive O. Callender. Being well aware of the African Americans who paved the way at Howard (those you mentioned and those who came before), pioneers like Dr. Daniel Hale Williams, Dr. Charles Richard Drew, Dr. William E. Matory Sr., Dr. LaSalle D. Leffall Jr., Dr. Clive O callender, I expected to be awed by my interview day at Howard. It was supposed to be grandiose and I, amazed by the opportunity to walk through its halls of greatness. Much to my surprise, the beginning of my interview day at Howard left me with unmoved feelings. I didn't quite feel my heart racing, the goosebumps creeping up my neck, or the feelings of astonishment I expected to feel as I toured the Medical school. I told myself it was just a matter of time before it hit me and was set on waiting patiently for the rest of the day to unfold.

Surely enough, my feelings quickly changed when none other than Dr. Clive O Callender walked into the interviewee waiting room. "This is too good to be true," I said to myself as I watched him call out my name. Dr. Callender: A pioneer in minority organ transplant surgery was there to interview me: A snotnose pre-med who had done nothing but believe in a dream. I was astonished. I stood up and followed him as he led me to his office. I had a million questions to ask him but the racing heart and the goosebumps creeping up my neck made verbalizing those questions a difficult feat.

Our walk through the hospital halls leading to his office were frequently interrupted by different physicians literally hugging and embracing him with gratitude. He was revered and even a pre-med who had no idea who this man was would have realized that he was in the presence of greatness. This interview was different. Unlike past interviews, I wanted to listen and ask questions more than I wanted to impress. I wanted to learn and to take as much from the experience as possible. I watched and answered his questions as he flipped through my file. About 20 minutes into the interview, the interview became a simple conversation. I was struck by his humility, his words of kindness and his stories about how he got to where he is now. I attempted to slip in as many questions as I could, I wanted to obtain as much advice as I possibly could before our time was up. We conversed for nearly an hour. He ended the interview by giving me advice on how to achieve the dream that led me to his office and I--like a ten year old child--couldn't wait to call my mentors and tell them about the experience. This was a truly inspirational experience that I will never forget. I'm blessed.

Last edited:
I just got the info that my file is out of the committee. And I was told to call back by friday if I dont hear anything. Can you guys please pray for me, I need to get into Howard. Since the decision is probably already made it not going to be worth it to write a letter unless I get waitlisted.

Please God let me in.

I just got the info that my file is out of the committee. And I was told to call back by friday if I dont hear anything. Can you guys please pray for me, I need to get into Howard. Since the decision is probably already made it not going to be worth it to write a letter unless I get waitlisted.

Please God let me in.

Will definitely send up a prayer for you PD. So they said your letter is in the mail and you should receive it by friday?

I think it will be an email, because she said she was sick and they were moving so she fell behind all the decisions. I just hope to hear good news.

I think it will be an email, because she said she was sick and they were moving so she fell behind all the decisions. I just hope to hear good news.

Well I am praying that you will get your acceptance! Let us know as soon as you hear something. God bless PD!

Please God let me in.

Of course! Hope you hear some good news! :)

You're welcome. Can't wait to meet you in the fall...

LOL as long as your wisdom teeth are not impacted you should be okay. Because of that and phenomenally strong roots, I suffered :( Hope its nothing like mine...not trying to make you nervous or anything :D

Hey everyone I am applying next year do you guys have any suggestions.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes, I also had a compacted root when I had my wisdom teeth pulled. On the bright side, all ice cream you want.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes, I also had a compacted root when I had my wisdom teeth pulled. On the bright side, all ice cream you want.

Of course we will pray for you. We need a drummer for the Rock Band. I'm playing lead guitar of course, Dr2B on bass, and all we will need is a sexy lead singer. Anyone care to audition?

On a serious note, I know you really want it so let me know when you hear the good news.

Drums are my forte, we can make a band and call ourselves The Bison gunners, not to imply that we are gunners I just like the sound of it.

60 days till I touch down in D.C.

WOW!!! Is it really only 60 days until we are out there! :eek: Man, these weeks are going to fly by.

Hey Beerog, have you posted in the Allo class thread yet?

WOW!!! Is it really only 60 days until we are out there! :eek: Man, these weeks are going to fly by.

Hey Beerog, have you posted in the Allo class thread yet?

Yeah, I post there all the time.

Of course we will pray for you. We need a drummer for the Rock Band. I'm playing lead guitar of course, Dr2B on bass, and all we will need is a sexy lead singer. Anyone care to audition?

On a serious note, I know you really want it so let me know when you hear the good news.

Drums are my forte, we can make a band and call ourselves The Bison gunners, not to imply that we are gunners I just like the sound of it.

Get ready to jam! I'll likely be there to hear you during the White Coat Ceremony. Look forward to meeting and greeting the HUCM Class of 2013! You know, I can still remember Ben Carson, M.D. speaking at my White Coat Ceremony. It's all good.

I really hope I get in so I can meet you and pick your brain about medicine and Howard. You to know alot about the process and give excellent advice on this forum.

me being sort of an impatient person and not wanting to study for finals called the office again. Ms Walk told me that decision has been made as before but they are waiting for someone to sign off on the decision and its taking long because of match week. Is this a good sign? The timing of my whole process has been bad first the inauguration, then the move, and now the match day.

me being sort of an impatient person and not wanting to study for finals called the office again. Ms Walk told me that decision has been made as before but they are waiting for someone to sign off on the decision and its taking long because of match week. Is this a good sign? The timing of my whole process has been bad first the inauguration, then the move, and now the match day.

I think it is a good sign. It is either a acceptance or a waitlist. They don't reject until may or june. I think everything will be ok and work in your favor. Dean Cannon is the one who is in charge of match week and the one who signs the letters. Tomorrow might be your day. Just keep praying and believing. Let us know when you hear. God bless!

That is the same thing that happened to me! I think that is a good sign. Go study and that will take your mind off it for a bit. I know, easier said than done.

I havent been in this thread in a while but CONGRATS THOSE WHO GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!

Im so happy for you guys! (and gals!)

I will hopefully be joining you all next year. =)

I think it is a good sign. It is either a acceptance or a waitlist. They don't reject until may or june. I think everything will be ok and work in your favor. Dean Cannon is the one who is in charge of match week and the one who signs the letters. Tomorrow might be your day. Just keep praying and believing. Let us know when you hear. God bless!

congrats bd2b:thumbup:

Any news out there? Do we have any new classmates yet?

I got my acceptance packet today! Man God is good! I still can't believe this is really happening!

BD2B!!! YOU GOT IN!?!? Man, I'm so pumped for you bro! I haven't been on the site in a while with my busy ass semester but it's good to come back for a minute and see you got what you were wishing and praying for. I know you're gonna make a hell of a doctor man :thumbup:

BD2B!!! YOU GOT IN!?!? Man, I'm so pumped for you bro! I haven't been on the site in a while with my busy ass semester but it's good to come back for a minute and see you got what you were wishing and praying for. I know you're gonna make a hell of a doctor man :thumbup:
Cheeeeem! what the heck?! come back to meee :love: LiL Jose misses you!

Cheeeeem! what the heck?! come back to meee :love: LiL Jose misses you!

hahaha you remembered? You're too cute :laugh: ...I'm glad our love is undying even when I'm completely buried under my Microbio and Biochem :) What are you even doing lately? lol

hahaha you remembered? You're too cute :laugh: ...I'm glad our love is undying even when I'm completely buried under my Microbio and Biochem :) What are you even doing lately? lol
missing you, duh... I've been celebrating BD's acceptance for awhile now. Any alcohol I partake in I feel obliged to spill some out for my home boy :laugh:

Benn kinda quiet around here. How is everybody?

Praise the Lord! Congrats,BlackDr2b!

Congrats BD2B....I have to figure out how to get those dancing smilies... its so festive.

My prayers are answered! I am so thrilled for you! Wow! Congratulations and remember what I said to you a while back! My fellow Bison!!! Yea!!! You know that you have to go up to our sticky thread and add your name under Howard for "officially class of 2013"

Watch out Howard! Ow Ow! What an amazing day

Praise the LORD!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!

Congrats BlackDr2B...It is so good to hear that you got accepted to Howard. Your patience and perseverance is admirable. Best wishes to you and your upcoming journey in med school. I hope one day, I will be able to attend Howard Med School as well. God Bless!!!

congrats bd2b:thumbup:

I apologize for not doing this earlier but I wanted to say thank you to everybody for all of your thoughts and prayers. I greatly appreciate it all from the bottom of my heart. God is awesome!

You're welcome BD2B :)

Also, a friend of mine who is interested in Howard would like to talk to someone there. Ms. Walk is the best person, correct? What's the best way to contact her?

I was just thinking today how lucky and blessed I am to be chosen out of 6000 applicants to attend this fine institution. Now the ball is in my court to make the best of my opportunity.

I was just thinking today how lucky and blessed I am to be chosen out of 6000 applicants to attend this fine institution. Now the ball is in my court to make the best of my opportunity.

Pakidoc got in!!! Its about timeeeee. No more frantic posts out of you all right? haha no jk ;) Congrats kiddo.

Heck of a deal!