Evms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just bought a MacBook pro... I will put out the fires of incompatibility as they come, haha. Once you go Mac you never go back; sorry PC.

I completely agree. I'm waiting til June when they come out with the new Macbook Pros to get mine, but having an Mac throughout undergrad made me sad when I first heard I might have to get a Dell for this program. So happy when I found out I didn't have to have that

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if this was answered before but how do you email your MCAT score to the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any news from the current Med Masters class on how many of them have been accepted to EVMS thus far?

Any news from the current Med Masters class on how many of them have been accepted to EVMS thus far?
I'm hearing that no EVMS acceptances have gone out yet. I would guess this is because the flurry of acceptances during finals last year was a huge distraction that cost MMs exam points. In particular, EVMS started giving the shelf exam (standardized NBME proctored official thing) for physiology last year, and results weren't fabulous. So I wouldn't be surprised if effort was expended to help folks focus through the last week.

And once school is out (which it is), it's harder to find out what's going on. There's much less gossip swarming.

The first acceptances for my MM class just got received today. So far I've heard of 4 ISS and 3 OSS getting accepted. The rest of us are still crossing our fingers!! =]

Last edited:
The first acceptances for my MM class just got received today. So far I've heard of 4 ISS and 3 OSS getting accepted. The rest of us are still crossing our fingers!! =]

Is this how the acceptances for the MM class usually goes? Are the rest of the MM students on the waitlist? It's highly likely that they'll accept much more than that right? I was under the impression reading threads that they don't really have any hesitations about accepting MM students who perform well. Good luck!

Is this how the acceptances for the MM class usually goes?
Yes - this is running about 2 weeks later than last year, by design, see above.
Are the rest of the MM students on the waitlist?
Probably.
It's highly likely that they'll accept much more than that right?
Yes.
I was under the impression reading threads that they don't really have any hesitations about accepting MM students who perform well.
Correct impression.

it totally makes sense that evms would wait till the med master program is over before letting anyone know about whether they got into evms or not.

I also see that the med masters program ended on May 19.

What I am curious about is why exactly med masters are informed in batches or at different times. I mean it's not like spots would be opening up after the 19th, right? Logically, If any spots were going to open up, it would have already happened by May 15, when all medical students typically are suppose to give up multiple acceptances. Right? Maybe its cuz the adcom takes a lot of time to deliberate who will be getting in and that's why med masters aren't informed all at once, but instead as they are individually accepted on a daily basis. Who knows.

Maybe only the adcom does.

in general, thanks to all the evms peeps who've been so helpful on this thread.

What I am curious about is why exactly med masters are informed in batches or at different times.
Because spots open up in batches of different sizes and the admissions committee doesn't meet every day or on the same day every week.
I mean it's not like spots would be opening up after the 19th, right?
Of course spots open up after May 19. Why wouldn't they? Spots open up until the day school starts.
Logically, If any spots were going to open up, it would have already happened by May 15, when all medical students typically are suppose to give up multiple acceptances. Right?
I'll be calling you Spock assuming I figure out who you are.

No, that's not logical. May 15 is a deadline for giving up all but one acceptance. That's not a magic moment where all ramifications are instantly manifest. It's musical chairs for three more months while people are holding one acceptance and get off a waitlist and decide...and then another spot opens on another waitlist. Lather rinse repeat.
Maybe its cuz the adcom takes a lot of time to deliberate who will be getting in and that's why med masters aren't informed all at once, but instead as they are individually accepted on a daily basis. Who knows.
No, after your interview the committee decides on you. The waitlist is baked by April. The committee meets regularly, until school starts, to move people off the waitlist into any open spots. It's just a normal meeting in a normal room with a boring process that they've been doing the same way for decades, but if you watch the med masters fret and wring their hands and mill about in a panic over how confusing and scary and wild and random and mysterious they think it is, you'd think they're electing a pope.

Because spots open up in batches of different sizes and the admissions committee doesn't meet every day or on the same day every week.

Thankd DrMidlife. I think the concern that both whatooo and I have is why are the MM students waiting for spots to open up? For instance, if the admissions committee has no hesitations about accepting MM students who perform in the class, wouldn't they have spots reserved and just accept all of the students that qualify at once? Instead, it seems like MM students are accepted if a spot opens up for a waitlist position.

I mean, the historical evidence shows that the admissions committee likes MM students who perform well. I still feel confident that the MM program at EVMS will get me into the MD program at EVMS if I perform well. It's just that the whole waitlist thing makes you wonder.

haha wow your right, pretty ******ed post i made earlier. clearly didn't think about the case of people everywhere holding one acceptance and also a waitlist. that changes everythign. my bad. never been the through an app cycle myself, not that that's a valid excuse for my failed attempt at being spock-like

Last edited:
Correction to my previous post, a bunch of my classmates called the office yesterday and found out they got in...sooo probably ~20 people out of 28 got accepted! I had heard they hold a few open seats just for some med master's, but of course they don't really admit to this. At the beginning of the year they told us "to not put all your eggs in the EVMS basket." But of course only 2 students actually got accepted to other med schools, so most of us had to do just that haha. I know they try to take as many med master's as they possibly can, and of course it helps that EVMS is increasing it's class size to ~140 next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correction to my previous post, a bunch of my classmates called the office yesterday and found out they got in...sooo probably ~20 people out of 28 got accepted! I had heard they hold a few open seats just for some med master's, but of course they don't really admit to this. At the beginning of the year they told us "to not put all your eggs in the EVMS basket." But of course only 2 students actually got accepted to other med schools, so most of us had to do just that haha. I know they try to take as many med master's as they possibly can, and of course it helps that EVMS is increasing it's class size to ~140 next year.

Wow 20 out of 28... That is awesome. I guess hard work really does pay off.

Awesome! Congratulations to all of you. Keep the updates coming!

Does anyone know if they're also expanding the MM class this year since they increased the number of med school seats?

Hello,

As I am somewhat ignorant of the East Coast, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I should be worried about flooding in Norfolk. I may be able to rent a 1br on the first floor at Hague Club, so should I be worried?

Should I value Hague Club over other apartment complexes, since you only have to pay 9-10 months out of the year?

Hello,

As I am somewhat ignorant of the East Coast, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I should be worried about flooding in Norfolk. I may be able to rent a 1br on the first floor at Hague Club, so should I be worried?

Should I value Hague Club over other apartment complexes, since you only have to pay 9-10 months out of the year?

It does flood frequently in certain parts of Norfolk (Around the Hague is esp. prone), but I don't think I've ever seen the water reach the 1st floor apartments (Perhaps in a major hurricane, if that ever happens?). If you prefer to live alone and are willing to pay a little extra, Hague Club is definitely the way to go (I think $775 + electricity/internet/renters'insurance). Otherwise, it's almost always cheaper to split a 2br elsewhere with another person, especially in places that include all utilities. As far as paying for 10 months vs. 12 months elsewhere, I'd factor in some other things. e.g...Maybe the landlord at another place lets you sublet so you don't have to move out your stuff in addition to not having to pay for an empty apartment during the summer. I just moved out of my place after MM year and considering I have relatively few things, it was still a pain.

Hello,

Yeah Norfolk definitely does flood, but the most you'll have to do is move your car to higher ground (i.e. the EVMS parking garages).

According to Carol (Hague Club manager), none of the Hague Club apartments have ever flooded. The worst it's gotten was during the major Nor'easter a few years ago (I was here for that one, and it was pretty gnarly), and it flooded most of the parking lot but none of the apartments.

To all incoming EVMS medical masters students starting in August, I've got a nice 2BR apartment literally across the street from school that I'm looking to rent out. If anyone is looking for housing for the fall, this is a good place to check out. I'm a first year med. student who lived here for the past year. If interested email me at: [email protected].

Anyone have any experience or heard anything about the following apartments:

Belmont at Freemason
Heritage at Freemason
Alexander at the Ghent
Monticello Station Apartments
River House Apartments

The Hague Club apartments have a waiting list and the person I talked to said there's a slim chance that I'd be able to get an apartment there. I'm trying to find another apartment building that is safe and clean. Safety will be the number priority. Are other apartments likely to have 10-month leases?

Thanks in advance!

For housing information:
1. join the facebook group
2. omg read back in this thread (which will also tell you how to find the facebook group)

Last edited:
For insight into how admissions work for EVMS MM students:
1. Read this thread. Look at the May/June timeframe for the last several years.
2. Deal with it. You have all the information you need. Study really hard. Don't get any C's. Don't just get all B's. Don't be an ass to anybody. Everybody who does all of this gets in. End of story. You will not get your acceptance at the most convenient time, and you just need to deal with it. Shut up about how horribly wronged you think you are to have to wait for an acceptance after completing the SMP. It makes you sound like you're 13 and your parents won't buy you the new ipad. Seriously.
3. Accept it. You don't get to vote on how this works. They aren't hiring for McDonald's. It's med school admissions. It's slow, by design. Whether you think it works well or not makes exactly zero difference. Whether you think the money you're borrowing to pay for the MM program should carry more weight makes exactly zero difference.

How to change the way med school admissions work:
1. Get through med school and residency and get an academic appointment. Ideally, also get an Ed.D.
2. Spend a decade researching and publishing studies that correlate the issue you think is bad with actual nontrivial negative outcomes. Good luck with that.
3. Using that research, get your current institution to change. Good luck with that.
4. Once your institution changes, use that to build momentum to change other med schools. Good luck with that.

How often during medical education and residency will obstacles seem this massive and choices seem this risky and uncertain and uncomfortable?
1. Most of the time.
2. Sometimes, substantially worse.

Best of luck to you.

Love it. Blunt and to the point.

Any guys looking for a roommate? I am accepted to the MM program and wait-listed for the MD program so either way I will be in Norfolk. Message me if your interested.

Hello everyone!

I was just offered a spot at Hague club apartments (EVMS-owned apartments across the street).

Please message me as soon as possible if you are interested in being housemates/roommates!! Also let me know a little about yourself and your living habits, as well as your phone number.

Hey everyone,

I'm also looking for a roommate! I was offered a 2-br in Hague Club by Carol 1-2 weeks ago. I'm looking for a female roommate. Message me if you're interested.

I know the minimum MCAT for the program is a 27, but is there a certain expectation for what a Med Master's MCAT should be once they are ready to matriculate? Just wondering if my 30 (even distribution) would cut it come application/interview season at EVMS.

I know the minimum MCAT for the program is a 27, but is there a certain expectation for what a Med Master's MCAT should be once they are ready to matriculate? Just wondering if my 30 (even distribution) would cut it come application/interview season at EVMS.
30 is good. It's not an old score, correct? Exam was no more than 2 years ago?

If you choose to retake to improve odds at other schools, that's acceptable, but what's not acceptable is to retake and get a lower score (which, tragically, happens).

Best of luck to you.

30 is good. It's not an old score, correct? Exam was no more than 2 years ago?

If you choose to retake to improve odds at other schools, that's acceptable, but what's not acceptable is to retake and get a lower score (which, tragically, happens).

Best of luck to you.

No, this was a re-take on 04/13/12. Went from 28 to 30.

When do the interviews start for the Med Masters students normally or is there not really a set time?

Last edited:
Does anyone know how strict the 4-year service plan requirement is for our laptops? Just curious because a lot of manufacturers don't offer 4 year service plans (I've only seen Lenovo and Dell offer it). If we end up matriculating into the MD program, then we technically would need our laptops to be covered for 5-years.

Also, will a 12.5" screen laptop be sufficient for the programs that we're going to have to use in class? I emailed the tech people that they told us to email if we had any questions. I haven't gotten a response even after 1-2 weeks.

Does anyone know how strict the 4-year service plan requirement is for our laptops? Just curious because a lot of manufacturers don't offer 4 year service plans (I've only seen Lenovo and Dell offer it). If we end up matriculating into the MD program, then we technically would need our laptops to be covered for 5-years.
They won't check your service plan.
Also, will a 12.5" screen laptop be sufficient for the programs that we're going to have to use in class? I emailed the tech people that they told us to email if we had any questions. I haven't gotten a response even after 1-2 weeks.
12.5 is adequate. There are a lot of images and video to go through, over and over, so bigger can be advantageous. But not at all necessary, and harder to carry around.

If you're not in the facebook group yet, it's recommended. Lots of advice on this and other topics is starting to fly.

Best of luck to you.

I was actually wondering the same thing, although my MCAT is a 28 and evenly distributed. From reading back, it seems like by accepting you into the MM program, EVMS is basically saying they are willing to take you as is, as long as you prove yourself in the program and don't have any major personality issues. So, retaking the MCAT if you are already accepted to the MM program seems futile if you are hoping to matriculate to EVMS, and it should only be retaken to improve your application to other schools. Am I accurate on this?

I was actually wondering the same thing, although my MCAT is a 28 and evenly distributed. From reading back, it seems like by accepting you into the MM program, EVMS is basically saying they are willing to take you as is, as long as you prove yourself in the program and don't have any major personality issues. So, retaking the MCAT if you are already accepted to the MM program seems futile if you are hoping to matriculate to EVMS, and it should only be retaken to improve your application to other schools. Am I accurate on this?

In my experience this is accurate. The only thing you left out is that you want to nourish a healthy fear of losing points if you retake. Don't go down.

Best of luck to you.

How often do you use your CD drive on your laptop? Like is it required? I was thinking about getting an ultra book and an external cd drive if it isn't used too often

How often do you use your CD drive on your laptop? Like is it required? I was thinking about getting an ultra book and an external cd drive if it isn't used too often
Use of a CD drive is almost a never event. Dropbox & Google Docs are pretty much where everything goes. Even the "M1 Essentials" CD doesn't come as a CD anymore.

Certainly a config that lets you avoid the extra weight of a CD drive, for daily use to and from school, would be a good idea.

Best of luck to you.

If anyone is looking for a place to live, I have a great condo RIGHT NEXT TO EVMS, as close as you can get besides Hague Club. It is a 2BR/1BA, hardwood floors, wired with surround sound, in-unit washer and dryer (so you dont have to pay for laundry services), and comes fully furnished at $800/mo per bedroom. Utilities are included (even cable television and wireless internet). Private parking lot, but you won't need a car since it's only a 2 minute walk to EVMS.

My son graduated last year, and I am trying to fill both bedrooms, so if you have a friend in mind as a potential roommate this would be a great place. Even if you're a singleton you're in luck; for all 5 years (med master + med school) i have only ever rented to very courteous, easy-going fellow EVMS'ers.

email me at [email protected] if you'd like to know more about the place or see pictures.

Richard

Last edited:
Anyone know how many people from this year's MM class were accepted in to the medschool? (Hopefully it's as high as years previous :xf:)

Anyone know how many people from this year's MM class were accepted in to the medschool? (Hopefully it's as high as years previous :xf:)
The answer is about 30 posts back. 20 out of 28 so far.

Also, it's only June 4. Acceptances from the MM class continue into August.

Hello! I have been accepted into both EVMS SMP and UPenn postbacc programs. I just wanted some insight into which program would be the most useful to me. I graduated with a non-science degree but took all the prerequisite science courses. My sGPA is only 3.0. I am leaning towards EVMS but still having uncertainties.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :D

Hello! I have been accepted into both EVMS SMP and UPenn postbacc programs. I just wanted some insight into which program would be the most useful to me. I graduated with a non-science degree but took all the prerequisite science courses. My sGPA is only 3.0. I am leaning towards EVMS but still having uncertainties.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :D
How to figure this out:
1. Spend hours reading every post in the Penn threads in this forum.
2. Spend hours reading every post in this EVMS thread.
3. Spend hours finding and reading the posts that cover Penn & EVMS in this forum's sticky threads.
4. Reflect on what your specific priorities are. If you have access to a med student, confirm that your priorities make sense.
5. Ask clarifying questions in threads where you can get answers. (Ask questions about Penn in the Penn thread. Ask questions about EVMS in the EVMS thread.)

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
How to figure this out:
1. Spend hours reading every post in the Penn threads in this forum.
2. Spend hours reading every post in this EVMS thread.
3. Spend hours finding and reading the posts that cover Penn & EVMS in this forum's sticky threads.
4. Reflect on what your specific priorities are. If you have access to a med student, confirm that your priorities make sense.
5. Ask clarifying questions in threads where you can get answers. (Ask questions about Penn in the Penn thread. Ask questions about EVMS in the EVMS thread.)

Best of luck to you.

No further reasons need to be given as to why DrMidlife is awesome.:cool:

Are there med masters that apply pretty widely as well and is it worth it or does it look bad to have a bunch of schools other than EVMS sent through AMCAS especially when Dr. Solhaug is sending out the intro letter and then the subsequent grade reports get sent out? I applied VERY widely and was just wondering if that was a bad idea. Thanks for any input

Are there med masters that apply pretty widely as well
Yes.
and is it worth it
If your GPA/MCAT/ECs/LORs/essays are reasonably competitive, and EVMSMM is the cherry on top, then go nuts. One way to tell if this describes you is that you applied before, and you got interviews and/or waitlists.
or does it look bad to have a bunch of schools other than EVMS sent through AMCAS especially when Dr. Solhaug is sending out the intro letter and then the subsequent grade reports get sent out?
EVMS fully expects you to apply elsewhere. In particular, Solhaug/Meyer are sympathetic about the cost for out-of-state students and are surprised when you don't apply to your state's school(s).

Solhaug will likely also advise you to apply DO. This is great advice for the 2-3 students who don't do well enough in the med masters program to get into EVMS. Those 2-3 students don't necessarily know who they are at the start of the program.

(Yes, I realize I just invited more paranoia. Don't make me restate the obvious.)
I applied VERY widely and was just wondering if that was a bad idea. Thanks for any input
Well, based on my first app year, when I applied to 36 MD schools and only got one interview at my state school, with a GPA too low for me to be in the same zip code as acceptees, and spent a few thou for nothing, the answer is "it depends".

Best of luck to you.