Evms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All that info is in this thread - if you don't want to read the whole thing, just go to around May-June or so of each year and you should find it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you live in Norfolk for at least one year (Med Master's + the following summer), can you qualify for in-state tuition as an M1 (assuming you are accepted to EVMS and plan on attending)? If so, should those of us who are OOS (and are applying during the Med Master's program) list ourselves as OOS on AMCAS and then request a change in tuition status at a later date?

If you live in Norfolk for at least one year (Med Master's + the following summer), can you qualify for in-state tuition as an M1 (assuming you are accepted to EVMS and plan on attending)? If so, should those of us who are OOS (and are applying during the Med Master's program) list ourselves as OOS on AMCAS and then request a change in tuition status at a later date?
Generally no, going to school in state X doesn't make you a resident in state X.

From state council of higher ed for VA:
Mere physical presence or residence primarily for educational purposes will not confer domiciliary status. For example, a student who moves to Virginia for the primary purposes of becoming a full-time student is not a Virginia domiciliary, even if the student has been in Virginia for the required one-year period.

If you want to make a claim for instate med school tuition at EVMS (or another VA school), then you need to line up a bunch of ducks well ahead of the date by which the M1 year starts (this year it's Aug 13):
- drivers license
- car reg
- voter reg
- street address (as verified on a lease and/or utility bills)
- VA income taxes (regardless of where income was earned)

All of the above can be requested by the school in verification of state residency, in addition to your parents' tax returns (to show if you're listed as a dependent) and other stuff.

If you are going to try for this, have a chat with Dr. Meyer first. Like by June.

Best of luck to you.

News flash: the required purchase of a Dell laptop was overturned. You still have to bring or buy a computer that meets basic specs. (This is EXTREMELY good news.)

If you are going to try for this, have a chat with Dr. Meyer first. Like by June.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look a bit more in to the benefits/burdens of pushing for in-state.

News flash: the required purchase of a Dell laptop was overturned. You still have to bring or buy a computer that meets basic specs. (This is EXTREMELY good news.)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Great! Considering I just purchased a spanking-new MacBook Pro, boom...:)

Why? Would a mac not be a good computer for EVMS?
Save the receipt because a computer is a required educational expense. That means you can:
- get a budget increase to cover the cost, up to $2200 (raising your financial aid award, if you choose)
- in some cases deduct the expense on taxes

But good catch, because I hadn't looked at the requirements before I assumed Macs were cool. Which they are, thankfully.

Here's the requirement list:
EVMS Laptop Computing Requirements:
Netbooks, iPads and other tablets are not viable choices to fulfill the computing
requirement.
Windows 7 32 or 64 bit Home Premium or higher is recommended (Mac OSX 10.6 or
higher will likely work but is not officially supported)
Browser: PC: Microsoft Internet Explorer version 8
Mac: Safari version 3.2.1 or higher
Do not use beta versions of these browsers
Not be more than 2 years old
Minimum 4-year service plan
Minimum dual core processor
Minimum 2 GB of RAM
Minimum screen resolution 1024 x 768
Wireless card that supports 802.11 b/g/n
Microsoft Office 2010 Standard Edition or Higher (this can be purchased through EVMS
at a reduced rate after enrollment)
A CD/DVD Drive
External Storage device for data backup

Note for Mac users: EVMS requires some tests to be taken with ExamSoft. So you have to have an Intel-based system, you don't want to upgrade to OSX 10.8, and you don't want to be thinking about using VMWare to bypass those requirements.

In general with EVMS, you can't assume that the academic computing department has the capacity to figure things out for you, or figure things out before they need to be figured out. You have to be proactive as a student to evangelize the consequences of mandates (such the previously required Dell laptop) in order to get troublesome decisions reconsidered. Freaking out, shrill complaint and finger-pointing is not necessary, but being polite, concise, reasoned and professional is necessary. Just like in real life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm a CA resident and was wondering what your take was on me applying to the UCs while doing the EVMS MM program.
Generally if you need an SMP, you need to finish the SMP before you apply to a UC. And one of my former MM classmates is an anecdotal exception to this.

Your stats would probably get you UC interviews if you applied MD now. So you're not completely dreaming.
As you said before, UCs do not apply my work at EVMS to the application but you also said in the past, some CA residents have been accepted back in CA at a UC school. So I was wondering, do you think it is worth applying to the UCs with my stats?? I have a 3.4 sgpa/3.5cgpa and a 32 MCAT with a lot of shadowing/volunteering/community service work.
Of course it's worth applying. But if getting into a UC is your goal, an SMP like Gtown or Loyola and a 2 year plan makes more sense than EVMS.
Also, since UCs don't apply the MM work, what do CA resident's list of schools they apply to look like?? USC + Virginia Schools?? I went back and read through all the pages of this thread to find out before asking, but couldn't find a direct answer so I decided to ask you :) If some of these questions cannot be answered, I understand (it's a lot of random knowledge...) but thank you so much for all your help!! :)
My recommendation has always been to apply to:
1. schools that have SMPs
2. all your home state public schools

Oh! I'm asking about applying to the UCs with my stats in respect to what you have seen in the past with others who have received UC acceptances (I think someone was accepted into UCI and UCSF???)
The last guy who got a UC acceptance during the MM year also had a top Ivy interview during the MM year. He may have even been waitlisted at a UC when he started the MM program.

I've never heard of somebody getting into UCSF from EVMS med masters.

My knowledge of the year-to-year changes at the UC's is almost tapped out, btw.

Best of luck to you.

Here's an opinion on what you want to do for EVMS MM coursework on your AMCAS app.

All coursework is grad work. Semesters. Course type: current/future. No transcript required.

Based on the 2010-2011 MM data, which could change, but probably won't, and on the (unchanged) curriculum currently on http://www.evms.edu/evms-school-of-health-professions/ms-in-biomedical-sciences-medical-masters.html, and on my reading of the AMCAS course categorization instructions, and on AMCAS accepting what I did with no questions:

Fall semester

Course classification: Biology
Course number: BM501
Course name: Medical Molecular & Cell Biology
Hours: 5

Course number: BM503
Course name: Histology
Hours: 6

Course classification: Health professions
Course number: BM507
Course name: Recent Advances in Biomedical Sciences
Hours: 2

Course number: BM504
Course name: Embryology
Hours: 3

Spring semester

Course number: BM505
Course name: Medical Physiology

Course classification: Health professions
Course number: BM513
Course name: Library Research Paper
Hours: 4

Course classification: Chemistry
Course number: BM502
Course name: Medical Biochemistry

Course number: BM514
Course name: Medical Neuroscience
Hours: 4
= = = = =
Note: before you submit, check for updates on the EVMS website. You are not responsible for changes in curriculum that happen after AMCAS opens.
Note: but, while your primary can be super early, there's a benefit to waiting to complete secondaries until the program starts. Be politely and enthusiastically in Dr. Solhaug's face to get your "intro letter" sent out right away, so that your secondary and your Solhaug letter come at about the same time
Note: I'm referring to my AMCAS report, which truncates the class category to "HEAL". It's probably "health sciences" not "health professions"

Last edited:
Hello Dr. Midlife,

As I will be applying to medical schools this summer, but also attending MM this August, would it be wise to apply to schools as early as possible, or wait to get a letter?

Or how about applying early to other schools, but only waiting for the letter from EVMS?

What are the pros and cons?

Hello Dr. Midlife,

As I will be applying to medical schools this summer, but also attending MM this August, would it be wise to apply to schools as early as possible, or wait to get a letter?

Or how about applying early to other schools, but only waiting for the letter from EVMS?

Hmm, I thought I just answered that, directly above your post:
sdnapplying.jpg

So I'm alleging that there's a benefit to holding your secondaries until the MM intro letter goes out to schools. Does that help?

Last edited:
First of all, thank you Dr. Midlife for the very helpful information.

Hello Dr. Midlife,

I'm certainly no expert, but pretty sure my game plan will be to submit my primaries right away in June to just get it over and done with early. Probably no harm in waiting til July/Aug but what's the point, especially when we'll probably be busy with preparing for starting the semester during this time. Given the ~6 week primary verification time period, secondaries should be coming out a few weeks before the beginning of the semester.

I think Dr. Midlife has some good advice here with potentially waiting on Dr. Solhaug's intro letter for secondaries to other schools. My question is when would this letter be sent out? Are we talking middle of August when the semester starts or later on? Just thinking that I don't want my secondary applications to weigh me down as the semester goes on. However, my EVMS secondary will probably be sent out right away even if we don't interview til March or something ridiculous like that.

On a completely unrelated note, has anybody started looking for housing in the Norfolk area yet? I heard to wait until late May/early June as the M4's and other graduates are leaving but I'm starting to think this might be too late. I know there is a limited number of campus housing for about the same price as any place in Ghent ($700-850/month). Anybody know of other affordable housing options within biking distance to campus?

On a completely unrelated note, has anybody started looking for housing in the Norfolk area yet? I heard to wait until late May/early June as the M4's and other graduates are leaving but I'm starting to think this might be too late. I know there is a limited number of campus housing for about the same price as any place in Ghent ($700-850/month). Anybody know of other affordable housing options within biking distance to campus?

I haven't started looking seriously, only cursory online. I already have my name on the waitlist at Hague Club Apartments, but the chances of getting in there as a MM are unlikely. Pembroke is another popular place for students; they have 2 BR's starting at $1,150 (<$600/mo per person, not including utilities) and 3 BR's starting at $1400 :)thumbup:).

p.s. I take it you worked as a scribe. I've been doing the same for the past two years at three different ER's. Quite an experience, as I'm sure you well know.

when would this letter be sent out? Are we talking middle of August when the semester starts
yes
Just thinking that I don't want my secondary applications to weigh me down as the semester goes on.
Right, get your essays done and have your secondaries ready to send before school starts. Think of the Solhaug letter as an LOR that you send through AMCAS, just like all your other LORs. You want that Solhaug LOR to be available when med schools review your secondary. (You have no control over the review of your primary app, just let that go.)

For schools that let you list the LORs they should expect in the secondary (which is common), you should list the EVMS letter from Solhaug. That is excellent expectation-setting for schools - you don't get infinite free review passes on your app every time a new letter shows up - set them up to know what they should wait for, before they start reviewing your secondary. And/but: wait for Solhaug's instructions during the first week of class.

And again, if you are already in good standing with your home state schools, maybe you got interviews/waitlists this cycle, you should not wait for EVMS assets. If you're already a competitive candidate, you don't need to wait for Solhaug's letter - listing the EVMS coursework is good enough.
However, my EVMS secondary will probably be sent out right away even if we don't interview til March or something ridiculous like that.
Your MD app at EVMS is a completely different thing than MD apps to other schools. EVMS will do exactly nothing with your MD app until the middle of second semester of your MM year. You gain nothing by submitting your EVMS app/2ry before school starts.

Best of luck to you.

Search this thread for "Ghent". Nothing has changed since my last exhaustive writeup.

I'm working on getting added to the various facebook groups to get roommate openings cross-posted.

Craigslist (Norfolk.craigslist.org, search on Ghent) has started picking up in the last week or so. (I have it in my reader feed.)

I haven't started looking seriously, only cursory online. I already have my name on the waitlist at Hague Club Apartments, but the chances of getting in there as a MM are unlikely. Pembroke is another popular place for students; they have 2 BR's starting at $1,150 (<$600/mo per person, not including utilities) and 3 BR's starting at $1400 :)thumbup:).

p.s. I take it you worked as a scribe. I've been doing the same for the past two years at three different ER's. Quite an experience, as I'm sure you well know.

If any of you are on wait-lists, what are you thinking about doing when it comes to signing a lease? when do you think you can safley comit and give up hope on the wait-listed spot? I am just wondering, because i am on two wait-lists and don't want to find a place and a roommate and completely bail. So i thought i would get some advice from others in the same boat.

P.S. Sorry! I meant any of you that are accepted to Medical Masters but on MD wait-lists.

Last edited:

By any chance, do you have a link or any more info on how to get an apartment at Pembroke? All I could find on the EVMS website was how to get on the waitlist for Hague Club.

I'm a CA resident and was wondering what your take was on me applying to the UCs..

You need to recognize that three of the five UC med schools are nationally-ranked, top-15 med schools. Two are top 10. Thus, everyone needs top 15 numbers to get in to those, and top 5 numbers for UCSF. Anyone needing an SMP by definition, does not fit that requirement. The only exceptions are applicants with really special circumstances: the UCs just love students with a great life story to tell, particularly if you are from a disadvantaged background. Also recognize that approximately a third of the matriculants to UCSF are from just two schools: Cal and Stanford. Add in the other top privates on the west coast, full of California residents, such as Pomona, USC and Caltech, AND all of the California residents who go east for undergrad (Ivies, WashU, Hopkins, top LACs), and....well just say the UCSF is mighty competitive.

As the Great One was fond of saying, 'you miss every shot that you don't take', but the lottery odds are probably better than aiming for UCSF from an SMP, without a HUGE hook.

I've never heard of somebody getting into UCSF from EVMS med masters.

Yeah I guess this just shows the "telephone" nature of this thread - there was a student (from my MM class) who went to UCSF after her Med Master year, but she had decided that clinical medicine was not for her during the MM year and applied for a PhD program at UCSF, which she then matriculated into.

I guess somewhere along the line, "UCSF PhD program" turned into "OMG UCSF Med acceptance!" :rolleyes:

Has anyone found a place yet or even started looking?

Has anyone found a place yet or even started looking?
Haven't started looking yet. I've only applied for the Hague Club apartments. If I don't hear back from them by late June, I'll start looking elsewhere. I think we've got plenty of time, it sounds like things start to move in July.

Haven't started looking yet. I've only applied for the Hague Club apartments. If I don't hear back from them by late June, I'll start looking elsewhere. I think we've got plenty of time, it sounds like things start to move in July.

I didn't know med masters had a chance for Hague Towers. Did you apply for a 1 or 2 bedroom place?

I didn't know med masters had a chance for Hague Towers. Did you apply for a 1 or 2 bedroom place?
I checked off every option except for the one bedroom w/loft, but I was told by Carol Ashburn that there would be no singles available this year. MM's can definitely apply. Basically, it's up to current or incoming tenants to choose their own roommates, based on what names Carol gives them and in what order. I just got an e-mail from her today saying that she had three students looking for roommates, so it's worth a shot, but it's competitive even for incoming med students. I'm not sure how many names she has on the waitlist, but I'm sure it's a lot.

EDIT: Here's the link for the application:

http://www.evms.edu/images/stories/...artments/2012_-_HCA_Rental_Application-21.pdf

the Hague:
--> a neighborhood near EVMS that overlaps with Ghent, defined by a semi-circular waterway. Distinctive feature: flooding.
Hague Club:
--> EVMS-owned student housing. Long waitlist.
Hague Park:
--> an apartment building across the street from Hague Club. Crappy website that isn't even working now.
Hague Towers:
--> another apartment building, same owner as Pembroke Towers. Less long waitlist. Decent website.

Students live in all of the above.

Does anyone know where the classes will be held for MM students? On google maps it looks like there are two "Eastern Virginia Medical Schools." One by the hospitals, and one on Mowbray Arch. Where will most of our time be spent?

Does anyone know where the classes will be held for MM students? On google maps it looks like there are two "Eastern Virginia Medical Schools." One by the hospitals, and one on Mowbray Arch. Where will most of our time be spent?
All classes are by the hospitals.

The building on Mowbray Arch (which is all of 10 minutes' walk time away) is administration.

evms.png

Do any students live at either Alexander at Ghent or Belmont at Freemason?
Also, how is parking at EVMS? Do we have to pay to have a place to park or is it easy to find places to park near campus? I'm just trying to figure that out so I know if it's worth it to look for places that are driving distance or just try to find places that I can try to walk from.

Do any students live at either Alexander at Ghent or Belmont at Freemason?
Also, how is parking at EVMS? Do we have to pay to have a place to park or is it easy to find places to park near campus? I'm just trying to figure that out so I know if it's worth it to look for places that are driving distance or just try to find places that I can try to walk from.

Yep I know plenty of students who live at both of those places. Parking is included in your fees - you'll receive an AVI tag for your car during matriculation that will give you access to parking structures. So you can expand your search if you don't mind driving every day. I think that most students live within walking distance of school, which includes almost all of Ghent.

I applied way back with a 28 mcat and a 3.3 gpa and was waitlisted. I retook my mcat and just got my score of 33, I really want to get into EVMS but im worried im at a disadvantage because I have already been reviewed. Does anyone know how this has worked in past years.

I applied way back with a 28 mcat and a 3.3 gpa and was waitlisted. I retook my mcat and just got my score of 33, I really want to get into EVMS but im worried im at a disadvantage because I have already been reviewed. Does anyone know how this has worked in past years.

Write an update letter, and they'll look at your app again. Make it as easy as possible for the office to figure out what you're after and help you out - tell them who you are, your waitlist status, how to contact you, that you're still very interested in joining the upcoming MM class, include a printout of your new MCAT score (with a report number that EVMS can look up on its own). Be polite & friendly.

Best of luck to you.

I'll be withdrawing my spot, I am instate so hope one of you SDNers will be picked off the waitlist. Good luck to you all

Anyone know when people who submitted on the March 31st might here back? I know that's 1 day before the deadline.

Anyone know when people who submitted on the March 31st might here back? I know that's 1 day before the deadline.

I got my stuff in on March 28th and I was told I should hear something back around May 22nd. So you should also hear back around then.

Hey guys, just wanted you all to know I will be withdrawing my acceptance as I just got accepted to VCU. Also I'm IS. Best of luck to everybody. And thanks again DrMidlife for all the help and useful information.

Yeah, Thanks Dr.MidLife, you've been really helpful :)

I am unsure of whether I should buy a new laptop, since the requirement is 'no more than 2 years old.'

Is there a chance that they will implement the mandatory Dell laptop next year after I have already bought a new laptop?

Mac or PC anyone?

Has anyone looked into what computers they will be buying?

I am unsure of whether I should buy a new laptop, since the requirement is 'no more than 2 years old.'

Is there a chance that they will implement the mandatory Dell laptop next year after I have already bought a new laptop?

Mac or PC anyone?

Has anyone looked into what computers they will be buying?

I thought that was odd they said "no more than 2 years old" as well. I am planning on buying a new laptop. I really want to mac, but I am worried if we will be able to run the exam programs and everything else on a mac. I don't think they will go back to the mandatory laptop policy.

I just bought a MacBook pro... I will put out the fires of incompatibility as they come, haha. Once you go Mac you never go back; sorry PC.