EVMS Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have an interview scheduled in March. I was wondering what all of your stats were for getting in? My GPA is above the average but my MCAT is a few points below. Do you all think this will balance out?

I am also a VA resident, so that might help a little bit.

There is really no way to know. EVMS, like many med schools, look at many factors. I have even heard that for VA residents, EVMS even prioritizes you back your undergrad institution, but this is only heresay. I have about the average MCAT and GPA for matriculants to EVMS and I am waitlisted there. Give it a try though, a lot of it is a crap shoot I think.

Members don't see this ad.

To those current MI/II's, or maybe anyone else that knows, does EVMS have any sort of computer requirement or recommendation? Are there any programs they want you to use on your own personal computers that may be only compatible with PCs, for example? Trying to decide on computer for next year, any advice would be great.

To those current MI/II's, or maybe anyone else that knows, does EVMS have any sort of computer requirement or recommendation? Are there any programs they want you to use on your own personal computers that may be only compatible with PCs, for example? Trying to decide on computer for next year, any advice would be great.

If you dont use a commercial mainstream virus protection software, they'll install McAfee on your laptop if you intend to bring your laptop in. They deleted my AVG.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just something that'll get you on the internet, use Powerpoint and Word, and will play an mp3 is really all you need. As Phishfood mentioned, they'll even install virus protection on your laptop. If you do all your studying in the library and can get by on the library computers, you might not even need one but it definitely is helpful.

EVMS students do get a discount on Gateway and it seems like that's mainly what the school uses. I've never really looked into the details on the discount though. But students use Dell, Macs, and about anything else. I don't use a Mac but I've never *heard* of anybody having problems loading programs on them.

hi, for those of you on the waitlist, did you call the admissions office to find out your place on the waitlist (which 1/3 you are in)?

EDIT:
ok, so i called and found out i was in the middle 1/3.

also i'm in-state, so middle 1/3 is probably not going to be good enough right? let me know what you think. i'll take it like a man, haha.

hi, for those of you on the waitlist, did you call the admissions office to find out your place on the waitlist (which 1/3 you are in)?

EDIT:
ok, so i called and found out i was in the middle 1/3.

also i'm in-state, so middle 1/3 is probably not going to be good enough right? let me know what you think. i'll take it like a man, haha.

I am right there with you in the middle 1/3. (also in-state). It aint great, but its not terrible either. We still have a shot. I think they go about half way through their list typically to fill the class. So at least part of the middle is taken. When I called at the end of December they said that your position on the list would not really mean much until end of March, because they are pluggin more people in all the time and your position will change even before they start pulling people off. Good luck to you.

Good luck to folk on the wait list. I was in your shoes last year, so if it doesn't work this year and you don't gain acceptance elsewhere, definitely try again and you might get an acceptance - at least that's the way it happened for me.

I wouldn't worry so much about the thirds at this point. Knowing your location can help, but not so much. I was OOS and in the top 1/3 from March onward but that still didn't result in an acceptance. I know there was much more movement IS though :)

P.S. For those looking forward to the "second look" weekend, it will be held on the weekend of April 20th. The admissions office said that the students are organizing the events of the weekend, so we should here something more in the weeks to come from them.

Good luck to folk on the wait list. I was in your shoes last year, so if it doesn't work this year and you don't gain acceptance elsewhere, definitely try again and you might get an acceptance - at least that's the way it happened for me.

I wouldn't worry so much about the thirds at this point. Knowing your location can help, but not so much. I was OOS and in the top 1/3 from March onward but that still didn't result in an acceptance. I know there was much more movement IS though :)

P.S. For those looking forward to the "second look" weekend, it will be held on the weekend of April 20th. The admissions office said that the students are organizing the events of the weekend, so we should here something more in the weeks to come from them.

I am in-state. So I am glad to hear that there is good movement there. I have sent update letters, a personal email to the dean, and have spoken with faculty post-interview, so I think thats about all that can be done. I guess all that is left is to call every so often and let them know that I am still alive. I do have an acceptance somewhere else, which definitely takes a lot of pressure off. But a decision from EVMS would mean that I could finally firm up my moving plans and get things lined up for re-locating if need be. (gonna be tough for me because my wife needs to find a new job, we need to sell our house, find new daycare, etc .....)

hey haemulon and vincir,

thanks for the encouragement. i'm on the waitlist at albany and i'm also waiting to hear from VCU/MCV for my post-interview decision. i would LOVE to go to one of the virginia schools... fingers crossed.

hey haemulon and vincir,

thanks for the encouragement. i'm on the waitlist at albany and i'm also waiting to hear from VCU/MCV for my post-interview decision. i would LOVE to go to one of the virginia schools... fingers crossed.

What your situation with Drexel? I see it in your username obviously. It may very well turn out that Drexel is where I will be attending if I don't hear from EVMS until late.

What your situation with Drexel? I see it in your username obviously. It may very well turn out that Drexel is where I will be attending if I don't hear from EVMS until late.

Actually I was on Drexel's waiting list last year, but didn't get in :|

Actually I was on Drexel's waiting list last year, but didn't get in :|

What is there WL movement like? I have several friends on the Drexel waitlist this year. I know that EVMS starts moving in April and May (maybe a few spots this month) and they get about half way through it (225th pick or so?)

I just found out I was waitlisted for EVMS today. :(

Hopefully, there will be some movement on the list and I can start class with you all in August. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just found out I was waitlisted for EVMS today. :(

Hopefully, there will be some movement on the list and I can start class with you all in August. :confused:

Right there with ya. Which 3rd are you in?? I really am hoping to get picked off of the WL as well.

Right there with ya. Which 3rd are you in?? I really am hoping to get picked off of the WL as well.

I'm in the middle third. Are you IS? How long have you been on the waitlist?

I'm in the middle third. Are you IS? How long have you been on the waitlist?

Yeh i'm IS, in middle 3rd as well. Got on the waitlist back in October, and yet the months creep by slower and slower with each passing week. I just want to get started! :)

Interviewed 2/23, waitlisted 3/6, accepted 3/9. I keep seeing something in the Class of 2010 thread about a Preview Weekend - anyone know more about that?

Interviewed 2/23, waitlisted 3/6, accepted 3/9. I keep seeing something in the Class of 2010 thread about a Preview Weekend - anyone know more about that?

Hey congrats! That was an extremely short time on the waitlist. Guess you must have been right at the top :thumbup:

Congrats! Welcome to the crew. I think we've all heard rumblings, but nothing substantial yet. The dates tossed out earlier were for the weekend of the 21st in April. That's not been confirmed, though. Again, congrats.

Hang in there Haemulon- your time's a comin'!

Congratulations! I interviewed that day also. I'm still waiting for waitlist movement.

Hey everybody. This White MOOSe (see last year's thread and waitlist discussion for details) just withdrew his acceptance today. I will be attending my state school and walking up the street to class - don't know if UNC folk will be as friendly as the students at EVMS though. Best wishes to everyone! :D

Hey everybody. This White MOOSe (see last year's thread and waitlist discussion for details) just withdrew his acceptance today. I will be attending my state school and walking up the street to class - don't know if UNC folk will be as friendly as the students at EVMS though. Best wishes to everyone! :D

Thanks for the update Vincir. Good luck to you at UNC :)

EVMS sent out e-mail invites for their preview weekend today. Preview weekend is set for April 13-14th. I hope to see some of you there!

Yup, who's going? I'll definitely be there, assuming I can switch call with someone at work. Hoping for some good weather. They didn't say anything specifically about the schedule, though, in that email.

I wish they'd post some more details about the schedule, or if it's neccessary to stay at an M1's place for the night because Im just around the corner.

It's starting to look like I'll be at EVMS this Fall as well unless something completely unexpected happens with my other applications. Hope to see some of you at the second look!

So... How liberal is the thinking among the students at EVMS?

Only asking because of having lived in VA for over two decades and enough said, haha.

Just curious if one's personal life is going to become a stigmatism...

Got a reply from one of the first year's and they said the schedule isn't set yet for the weekend, but it is flexible. I'm from the area and on call at work that weekend. She said it was cool if I needed to come and go. The weekend is totally for us. She didn't say anything about having to stay with a first year, not my intention either. I live too close to not sleep in my own bed...

As for liberal thinking, from what I've seen as an outsider MPH student, the med students are pretty laid back. Not really sure what you're referring to or anything, but like I said, everyone seems pretty open.

You have to keep in mind that although Virginia is a pretty conservative state(er ... commonwealth), and that even though the tidewater area is home to CBN and Pat Robertson, there is a wide spectrum of views in the population. Heck, we did just elect a Dem. Governor after all. I think especially with all of the miltary coming and going here, you will find views from all over the country mixed in. And students are students, just like anywhere else.

Is it fair to assume EVMS gave out all their acceptances early in the season and the majority of those post-interview are on the waitlist? Im just wondering why there havent been many people coming out of the woods with an acceptance.

Is it fair to assume EVMS gave out all their acceptances early in the season and the majority of those post-interview are on the waitlist? Im just wondering why there havent been many people coming out of the woods with an acceptance.

No, EVMS hands out acceptances all throughout the season. However, I think by this point, all initial offers have been made. The rest will come from waitlist movement. Also keep in mind that they only have a class of 110. And only a percentage of those are likely to be active SDN posters.

No, EVMS hands out acceptances all throughout the season. However, I think by this point, all initial offers have been made. The rest will come from waitlist movement. Also keep in mind that they only have a class of 110. And only a percentage of those are likely to be active SDN posters.

Yeah, but early in the season we had quite a few step up about their acceptances and it seemed to die off around December. Just anxious to meet future classmates! Anyone else thinking of going to the second look? Better yet, are there any posters following this thread that went last year and can give some feedback?

I'll definitely be at the second look barring any emergencies at work (i'll be on call). The student I emailed seemed really enthusiastic about it so should be fun!

I rsvp'd to go, yet haven't heard back from maggie yet.

does anyone know if more details have gone out about the second look day? ie what time on the 13th it starts or housing for the night?

Yeah, I've gotten nothing lately. Would be really great to have an idea of what the schedule is.

Same here, I RSVP'd and haven't heard anything.

Just a reminder - If you are planning on attending EVMS c/o 2011 I suggest you check out their financial aid web site. I had no idea that we should worry about anything else but the FAFSA right now but there are a couple other items they want by the end of the month.

I called and spoke with someone in the dept that didnt really seem to know what was going on. She said they would be sending award letters out by the end of the month if you have completed all your paperwork, but the web site timeline suggests otherwise.

Anyhow - just a reminder. I recently found out that I wont be able to attend second look, so I look forward to seeing you guys at orientation.

delete.

Last edited:
Just a reminder - If you are planning on attending EVMS c/o 2011 I suggest you check out their financial aid web site. I had no idea that we should worry about anything else but the FAFSA right now but there are a couple other items they want by the end of the month.

I called and spoke with someone in the dept that didnt really seem to know what was going on. She said they would be sending award letters out by the end of the month if you have completed all your paperwork, but the web site timeline suggests otherwise.

Anyhow - just a reminder. I recently found out that I wont be able to attend second look, so I look forward to seeing you guys at orientation.

Don't necessarily trust the timelines for financial aid on the website. Last year, the financial aid was way off. We actually didn't get our letters until very late (classes started that week). They ended up having to wave everyone's late fees because the loans had been delayed because the aid award packets were so delayed. Now I'm in the MPH program so we're low on the list to receive things on time. I know the incoming MS1's were at the top of the list (ketnezla can probably agree), but everything was very delayed, so just be aware...

Hey everyone! I am a current M1 at EVMS. For all you waitlisters out there , EVMS has a huge turn around on the waitlist in May. Thats when everyone has to choose one medical school, so when EVMS loses people, they begin to fill up their spots very quickly. I interviewed in October, was waitlisted, and got in May 15th. That wasn't unusual among my classmates. I was top 1/3 most of the time, and slipped to middle 2/3 once or twice over the year. I am an in-state resident.

Also, I saw that people were asking about in-state tuition qualifications earlier in the thread. Whoever said you have to marry an instater was very right! If you are classified as an out-of-stater when you start, the only way to change that is to marry an in-stater or to already be married to someone who could qualify. (Working in VA yourself or paying taxes is not sufficient. They have a rule that if you came to VA for the purpose of school then you cannot qualify after the fact) My friend here brought her husband with her, and they were from Florida. He worked and paid taxes to VA last year, so he qualified after one year, and thus so did she. So, now she is an in-stater too.

Did you do anything to get back to the top 1/3 after you slipped into the middle?

Hey all,

I will be withdrawing my OOS WL position. I don't know where I was ranked on it, last year I was middle to top third, so hopefully this will help one of you out! :luck:

Hello, I just stumbled on to this thread and wanted to say hi. I am a non-traditional student who has been accepted and planning on attending EVMS in the fall. Last year I was an out of state applicant who was top 1/3 of the wait list last year and did not make it. But this year I interviewed in mid-January and received my acceptance letter by the end of the month....so keep trying if you don't make it the first time.:)

I was looking at buying a condo in Ghent but things seem a bit pricey for a students income so I am looking at the Hague and Pembroke towers which seem nice and close to everything. If anyone has input to these apartments or any general living suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah Ghent in general can be a bit pricey. As far as I know the places you listed are decent and a number of students live there. Also, check out Craigslist, as some nice little apartments get placed on there that aren't badly priced.

Hello, I just stumbled on to this thread and wanted to say hi. I am a non-traditional student who has been accepted and planning on attending EVMS in the fall. Last year I was an out of state applicant who was top 1/3 of the wait list last year and did not make it. But this year I interviewed in mid-January and received my acceptance letter by the end of the month....so keep trying if you don't make it the first time.:)

I was looking at buying a condo in Ghent but things seem a bit pricey for a students income so I am looking at the Hague and Pembroke towers which seem nice and close to everything. If anyone has input to these apartments or any general living suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, I'll also be attending EVMS this fall and I hope to be living in either the Hague or Pembroke Towers. I put in an application back in February so hopefully I'll get something by the time school begins. I visited both complexes during the holidays and I liked both and other students I've talked with had no complaints with them.

As a heads up, the schedule has been e-mailed and the coordinators are beginning to contact people who RSVP'ed for preview weekend.

As a heads up, the schedule has been e-mailed and the coordinators are beginning to contact people who RSVP'ed for preview weekend.

Yeah, Saturday sounds like a full day. I'll be there bright and early, but will miss Friday night. I wonder how many people will show...

Hi all. I just got waitlisted at EVMS. im OOS, in the top 1/3, 3.65 GPA and 34 MCAT. i know this question has been beaten to death, but what do you think my chances are? thanks :)

good luck to everyone!

Hi all. I just got waitlisted at EVMS. im OOS, in the top 1/3, 3.65 GPA and 34 MCAT. i know this question has been beaten to death, but what do you think my chances are? thanks :)

good luck to everyone!

Top 3rd is definitely a good thing, but OOS makes it tougher. If I were you, I would be cautiously optimistic. You could call and speak with someone in admissions, perhaps set up a meeting (in person or phone) if you would like to get the real scoop. From my experience, they have been pretty receptive to that sort of thing. Good luck to you! :luck:

good luck to everyone!

I got in off the waitlist after 3 days with similar stats, but if you read the thread there are also horror stories of people being in the top third all summer and never making the leap. I agree with ^^^^^^^^^^^^, they're wonderful people, make sure they know how much you love them back.

delete

Last edited:
delete

Last edited: