Duke, class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pagemmapants said:
Exams are every other Monday 8am-1pm or so, then class 'til 4 or 5. Non-exam Mondays and Tues-Thur are 9 to 4 or 5. Fridays are 9 to 1, approx.

Of course, you could always just 2x the streaming videos from home! :p
I thought the exam every other monday was just for one block. Is that for the entire year? Ugh. Any one else scared ****less?

Members don't see this ad.

pagemmapants said:
Auuuuuuuuuugh, I HATE that carol. Worst one ever.

Well, no. It's the worst one ever to LISTEN to; the worst one ever to SING is Carol of the Bells. *barf* Not so bad for the alti but if you're a soprano it's the most irritating piece eeeeeeever.

Me = choir geek.

Um. As far as I know we don't have the access information for the immunization forms, which is a bit of a shame because I still have no idea which ones I have/need and I'm not really in the mood for big medical bills at the mo', despite my having a relatively decent PPO.

Speaking of which. . . does anyone know what our student health insurance is like? I mean, OBVIOUSLY it's got to be pretty decent, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

Hey, I have a little choir geek in me too!

MrBurns10 said:
I thought the exam every other monday was just for one block. Is that for the entire year? Ugh. Any one else scared ****less?

it sure beats the quarter system...
10 weeks filled with at least 3 exams per class + papers + quizzes + lab reports.... i kinda like the idea of having a set time for every exam day. of course the intensity is going to take adjusting to, but we'll do fiiine... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody else a non-science major?

yeeees I am a lil' anxious about the pace, etc., but I keep on reminding myself that they wouldn't have accepted us if they didn't know we could handle it. To echo Rex, we'll do fiiiiine ;).

Hope y'all enjoyed the holiday weekend.

Shaka said:
Anybody else a non-science major?
I majored in philosophy. Talk about your anti-science major...

What's the consensus on going to class? Do you all think you're usually going to go, or do you think you'll opt for the watch-it-online-from-home option? I have a friend who's an MS1 who never goes to class, but I don't know how common that is.

MrBurns10 said:
I majored in philosophy. Talk about your anti-science major...

What's the consensus on going to class? Do you all think you're usually going to go, or do you think you'll opt for the watch-it-online-from-home option? I have a friend who's an MS1 who never goes to class, but I don't know how common that is.

i'm one of those people that feel compelled to go to lecture cuz if i miss anything that shows up on test day, i'll be kicking myself for not going. :oops:

I'll be in class... more fun to sit through lectures with friends than home alone! :D

Shaka said:
I'll be in class... more fun to sit through lectures with friends than home alone! :D

woo hoo! we can party it up in the back! :horns:

And IM each other dirty jokes to make each other laugh at completely inopportune times.

"corpus cavernosum" *snicker*

pagemmapants said:
And IM each other dirty jokes to make each other laugh at completely inopportune times.

"corpus cavernosum" *snicker*

:oops: please tell me i'm not the only one that got that immediately

kirexhana said:
i'm one of those people that feel compelled to go to lecture cuz if i miss anything that shows up on test day, i'll be kicking myself for not going. :oops:
I'm like that as well. Besides, i'm a new driver and I could use the practice :smuggrin:

Does anyone know much about the different neighborhoods in Durham? I wonder how much it costs to see a movie there? I think our prices are up to $10.50.

student rate in Houston is 7.50, Adult is 8.50, but that doesn't answer your question one bit.

NubianPrincess said:
I'm like that as well. Besides, i'm a new driver and I could use the practice :smuggrin:

Does anyone know much about the different neighborhoods in Durham? I wonder how much it costs to see a movie there? I think our prices are up to $10.50.
Adult is like 8 dollars or something now, but student rate is 6.50. Seeing as we're technically "students" until we're through with residency, I plan on using my med school ID for as long as I remotely look like my picture.

Members don't see this ad :)
remotely look like your pic? I still have my high school id and gosh I dont look like myself, yet, they still accept it at movie theatres, sweetttttttt...

WOULD YOU PLEASE POST MORE. I NEED SOMETHING TO READ DURING THE DAY.

Have you all figured out your living situations for the fall? My pops is thinking about buying a place and renting the rooms out to me and other first years. I just wanted to know if by now all first years have figured this out. I haven't.

Holycrap, new invention: Lemon Ginger Sweet Tea.

I am an absolute freaking GENIUS. YUM! I wonder if green and/or white tea are good iced.

Dr Cot - your dad sounds like a generous man; wise investment, too. The Triangle is one of the fastest growing areas of the nation, and they haven't been as subjected to the ridiculous real estate bubble as california, boston, etc so it's not nearly as bad a time to buy there as it is elsewhere.

Rex - I just bought a cowboy hat. As it is from j.crew, it is a preppy cowboy hat. I DIDN'T KNOW THAT WAS POSSIBLE! See facebook profile for new picture and tell me what you think. :D

pagemmapants said:
Holycrap, new invention: Lemon Ginger Sweet Tea.

I am an absolute freaking GENIUS. YUM! I wonder if green and/or white tea are good iced.

Iced green tea is good. I don't know about adding any sugar to it, though :eek: .

Shaka said:
Iced green tea is good. I don't know about adding any sugar to it, though :eek: .

it is SO good if the sugar comes from a splash of passionfruit syrup. omg iced passionfruit green tea is the BEST EVER....

Give me some sweet, cold, plain liptons and i'm in heaven :)

i know we talked about this before, but, what are you guys doing about health and car insurance (esp the ones OOS)?

hey gemma, wanna hear something, uh, strange? You were in my dream last night. I don't even know what you look like, but all I know that "pagemmapants" was in my dream. Your role involved telling me you thought I had small breasts (?). Thanks a lot :mad:

MrBurns10 said:
hey gemma, wanna hear something, uh, strange? You were in my dream last night. I don't even know what you look like, but all I know that "pagemmapants" was in my dream. Your role involved telling me you thought I had small breasts (?). Thanks a lot :mad:

i can smell the class rivalry brewing.... you know the best way to settle this is mud wrestling... ;)

MrBurns10 said:

:laugh:

Dang, dude. Orientation hasn't even started and I'm already insulting everyone. Sweet!

pagemmapants said:
:laugh:

Dang, dude. Orientation hasn't even started and I'm already insulting everyone. Sweet!
You also stole my boyfriend and went on an ice-skating date with him *gag*. I wasn't going to mention that because I didn't want to make you feel too bad, but, you know...bring it on.

Boy-thefting isn't a hobby of mine, I must say. . . nor is falling down on my butt a lot which is precisely what ice-skating dates would entail. I don't think you need to worry about having prophetic skills. :)

pagemmapants said:
Boy-thefting isn't a hobby of mine

ok.... there goes everything that we had in common.... ;) j/k

Ok, sorry, I was on vacation and I just got back so this is an old question, but:

Do we have to BUY our computers? I thought they just GAVE them to us? If we have to buy them, I'm not buying some crappy dell. I want a mac.

Also, looking for housing sucks. Everyone on that website they sent us is an MSIII. I can see the advantages to living with an MSIII but I kind of want to live with other MSIs and have people to commiserate with or something.

I *think* the computers are included in the "tuition" or "equipment" section or something so we do have to pay for it but we all get them regardless. I have no idea whether we can get recompensation if we buy our own, or even if we're allowed to buy our own. Any one have more info on that?

diosa428 said:
Also, looking for housing sucks. Everyone on that website they sent us is an MSIII. I can see the advantages to living with an MSIII but I kind of want to live with other MSIs and have people to commiserate with or something.

same here, if i don't find another MS1 to live with, i think i'm going to have to go with these two MS3 i met at 2nd look. anyone interested in lil ole me?

Well, I'm in the process of buying a townhouse...if the seller will come down on her price any. It's a 3BR place (unfortunately only 2.5 bath, but that's not too bad) in a small, quiet neighborhood 10 mins from Duke (it took me 8 to drive to the parking garage). It's also about 15 mins to Chapel Hill and within a few minutes of the mall/restaurants/movies. I met some med students that live there and they said they like it. I think rent will probably be about $375/mo, mainly because not everyone gets their own full bathroom. So if any of you guys are interested, let me know. On the off-chance we don't get this particular townhouse, I still plan on getting one in the area so it's all the same. Otherwise, I would keep checking the housing website as more places will probably come up.

page 2? UNACCEPTABLE.

Let's talk about Traffic. I hate LA traffic and, while a lot of highways around Durham are only one lane so it gets really irritating to be stuck behind a logging truck or something similar, I can't wait to get back into the realm where you don't have to assume everyone behind the wheel is a complete and utter *****.

That's my input for the day. 'night all!

i dont care about traffic, i just care about me! i'm having a brief panic attack: what if i can't do well in med school, what if i failed, what if i'm falling behind, I will fall behind, what the heck is the prof talking about? I dont know what he's saying, oh gosh I am sooo royally screwed, arghhhhhhhhh, and why can't I even draw what ethanol is beside a picture of a bottle of vodka?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sniff, I QUIT!

On the housing site I saw that some M1s have posted, looking for roommates; check it out if you don't want to live with an upperclass student. Also you could post on that page too.

What do y'all think about the summer reading? :rolleyes:

pagemmapants said:
page 2? UNACCEPTABLE.

Let's talk about Traffic. I hate LA traffic and, while a lot of highways around Durham are only one lane so it gets really irritating to be stuck behind a logging truck or something similar, I can't wait to get back into the realm where you don't have to assume everyone behind the wheel is a complete and utter *****.

That's my input for the day. 'night all!

yea, but at least in LA there are street lights at night... driving on the pitchblack highways around durham is just scary to me.

hehehe, like when I got lost on Saturday night at like 3 am trying to get home only to have to turn around and come back at 7 am the next morning. What a weekend.

Summer reading: My sister read that book and liked it. . . w/e; I'll read it in the car while driving across the freaking country. Well no, not while I'm driving. While Mom's driving. Jeez, I'm not quite THAT talented yet, although drive-reading WOULD come in handy. People eat sandwiches while driving in LA. . .

PS: I feel the same way, Kev. I'm in a molec. bio class right now and I'm trying to keep all the snRNAs, RNAis, snoRNAs, and rRNAs in the right place in my brain and all I'm getting is snoreRNAs.

schnarf.

Mmmm I'm so excited that the first class we have is molecules and cells. And by really excited I mean that cell biology is my least favorite thing ever. At least it will be over with in 5 1/2 weeks or whatever.

I think it's funny that we have to read a book. I'm guessing we'll have to discuss it at orientation? I don't have anything exciting to read right now (except for journal articles) so it will be a nice break.

pagemmapants said:
PS: I feel the same way, Kev. I'm in a molec. bio class right now and I'm trying to keep all the snRNAs, RNAis, snoRNAs, and rRNAs in the right place in my brain and all I'm getting is snoreRNAs.

schnarf.

hahaha, you made me choke on my boba. i think i may have a tapioca ball permanently lodged in my sinus thanks to you. *sigh* the wonders of being a nerd...

anyway, i'm DONE WITH FINALS!!! GRADUATION IS THIS SATURDAY!!!!! WOOOO HOOO!!!!!!!!!! then it's 1.5 months of relaxation.... been a long time coming.

Dude, you'll need brain surgery sometime later in life and they'll have some new fancy through-the-nose procedure but there'll be this blockage and he'll be all WTF? then pull it out and eat it.

Mmmm.

I have 1 more lecture to attend, then 3 finals, and THEN I'm done. Probably gonna be the Dukie with the shortest summer EVER. Stupid UCLA and their stupid quarter system and stupid not getting out until the stupid 16th.

pagemmapants said:
Dude, you'll need brain surgery sometime later in life and they'll have some new fancy through-the-nose procedure but there'll be this blockage and he'll be all WTF? then pull it out and eat it.

Mmmm.

I have 1 more lecture to attend, then 3 finals, and THEN I'm done. Probably gonna be the Dukie with the shortest summer EVER. Stupid UCLA and their stupid quarter system and stupid not getting out until the stupid 16th.

ouch, and i thought graduating on the 10th is bad. i think at that time, i'll be finally getting over my jet lag and shopping for contraband coach and burberry products in taiwan. yay!

I found an apartment :clap:

Now i'm car hunting. I just hope I don't get fired from my job. Im so unmotivated.

NubianPrincess said:
I found an apartment :clap:

Now i'm car hunting. I just hope I don't get fired from my job. Im so unmotivated.

I am also car hunting and extremely unmotivated (at least to do anything besides look at cars and go on SDN). I literally sit on the one computer in our lab and look at cars online all day. I'm surprised my PI hasn't said anything yet, but she's not really very observant.

We're on page 2--totally unacceptable. So, I figured I'd give us bump with this (perhaps) moderately helpful info I found out last Wednesday.

I tried to do the online health/innoculation form, since the paperwork they gave us said it's due by 30 June, but I found that I didn't have the network ID I needed to complete it...I called the office and they said don't worry about the deadline...we won't have the net ID until well after 30 June and that's fine. In case anyone was curious...

PS. Heard the book was a tear-jerker.

NubianPrincess said:
Im still catching up but i'm Michelle from NYC.
Hi Michelle (and everyone else,) I'm in NYC too.
I've only posted a couple times and im catching up too, I'm in the city until the end of the month, I spent the past yr working at Columbia NY-pres after grad. duke in 05, but i'm really from Florida.

Whats this about a laptop?

Hey,

Received the net ID yesterdayin the mail, as well as info about email, bills, immunizations, etc. They don't give much info. about the laptop; they say, "A padded sleeve for the laptop will be part of this package." I know that everybody can relax now that they know their computer will be protected... :D The package also includes "leasing and support of various technologies." Verrrrry clear.

OK enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Is anyone else highly amused by Richard Wallace's last e-mail? What kind of school authority figure says "DUH"?!

:D I love this place.

hey guys,

i'm in taiwan right now and suffering from serious lag (both internet and jet) so i don't even know if this is going to get posted. so what are we expecting to receive in the next few days? ID, the ethics book, background release form?

keep posting, it's my only connection to civilization, lots of love from 15 hours in the future!!!!

Rex

I was in Durham this weekend looking for a house/townhouse to possibly buy. After consideration, I found it not a good investment being that I would probably break even but would be tied down to a house if I wanted to go somewhere third year. Anyways, now I'm renting. Where is everyone going to be living? Most places I looked seemed like dumps or unsafe. Advice/opinions.

dr cot said:
I was in Durham this weekend looking for a house/townhouse to possibly buy. After consideration, I found it not a good investment being that I would probably break even but would be tied down to a house if I wanted to go somewhere third year. Anyways, now I'm renting. Where is everyone going to be living? Most places I looked seemed like dumps or unsafe. Advice/opinions.

You can check out http://www.duke.edu/web/medstudent/ for info/opinions on the different apartment complexes. I think a lot of MS1s live in Deerfield. I don't know much about anything b/c I didn't get to go to second look.

hello,

I'll be a first year and would like to see if anyone may be interested in staying in a townhome with me. It will be about 7-10 minutes away from campus (all freeway, no traffic being that the traffic will be going in the opposite direction in the morning and in afternoon from Durham), 3 bedroom, 2.5 baths (2 of the bedrooms would be sharing a bathroom and master bedroom gets a private bathroom). Around $450 each plus utilities (the price is still being figured out). The place is brand spankin new.

I'm looking for two first years (no gunners allowed -- however, if you're a non crazy gunner type that doesn't make others feel like crap, you're okay). You must work hard and play hard (I want roommates that will hit the books hard - aka "we will all be studying are asses off before a test and after, have a bbq in celebration and invite people over for some loud mouth soup." I just want to have a good first year with people that don't stress me out, actually can communicate, are clean (do your dishes most of the time, clean up, don't mind doing chores), and are easy going. I want lower case "a" personalities.

If you would like the same, tell me soon. If I get too many responses, I'll be having an ultimate challenge similar to those seen on Double Dare in the early 90's to decide upon roommates. Of course there will be lots of slime and oversized human body replicas. Of course you will be putting your arm in these body parts searching through goo and slime for that neon triangle of honor. And of course your father and mother will be present in their oversized goggles, knee pads, and helmet waiting to do their challenge.