Duke, class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
kirexhana said:
you're mac's gf? he's hot... not that i was checking him out or anything... :p

oh wait, n/m there was more than one group touring..... haha

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, it has officially sunk in that I will actually be going to Duke next year. Yesterday I was having a hard time grasping it. Anyway, my name is Carrie. I went to Wesleyan (in CT) for undergrad, graduated in 2005, but stayed for another year to do a Masters, which I just finished in April. I've lived in the northeast for my whole life, so moving to the south is definitely going to be a change, but I'm excited! aaaand that's all I can think of except that I'm a runner (xc and track in high school and college). and I like to travel.

kirexhana said:
oh wait, n/m there was more than one group touring..... haha
haha, I bet you got his hopes up with that comment. I think he's more flattered when he's hit on by guys than by girls. hmm...should I be concerned?

If you were in Gemma's group, then that was him. Otherwise, it was just a guy I'd like to meet.

Members don't see this ad :)
MrBurns10 said:
haha, I bet you got his hopes up with that comment. I think he's more flattered when he's hit on by guys than by girls. hmm...should I be concerned?

If you were in Gemma's group, then that was him. Otherwise, it was just a guy I'd like to meet.

no, sorry, i don't think i was in gemma group... but i'm sure he's hot too.

pagemmapants said:
The blonde guy? Yeah, I think I remember him. . .

was he hot? j/k, answering this question can only lead to bad things... :p

Yeah, thanks Rex! I either say he is, at which point his gf gets to be annoyed that I was looking, or I say that he isn't, at which point his gf gets offended!

Greeeeeeeeeeat.

The middle is the way to go in these situations, especially by using the word "cute." Saying someone is "cute" won't get you beat up either way. Not that I would beat you up nor could I even if I wanted to (I can maybe benchpress the bar), but keep this rule in mind as I think it can be applied to many different situations. Another example of where this would work well:

"What did you think about my husband as your professor?"
"Umm, he's cute."
"Aww, you're so sweet. Let me fund your third year for you."

I don't think he's really blond either, but eh. Tomato, tomahto.

Ok, Rex. He was cute!

PS: I may be little, but I can kick some bootay. Just ask my Sensei.

A few questions if anyone has an idea:

1. Is anyone thinking about buying a place instead of renting? I live in California and have to give blood to make rent. Durham is dirt cheap in my opinion.

2. What's the best cell phone provider in the area? Best service?

3. Do medical students live in certain areas near the school?

4. People from across the country, are you driving or shipping a car?

5. How cold does it get?

6. Are you guys living alone or getting roommates?

That's all I got for now.

Since the car i have now is a lease (ends in a year), I'm probably going to go over with my parents to buy a car there.

5. How cold does it get?

A friend told me it doesn't get very cold, it snows like... once every 7 years, if that's any indication.

Roommates, I cant imagine living all by myself with no other people in my home. Doesn't sound too pleasant.

DANG, i'm on here way too much, 1000+ posts!!!!

pagemmapants said:
Ok, Rex. He was cute!

PS: I may be little, but I can kick some bootay. Just ask my Sensei.

I guess I'll have the opportunity to judge for myself. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
MrBurns10 said:
I once lost in arm-wrestling to a 56 year old woman. She was in her prime, though.

MrBurns (or anyone else who got off the waitlist earlier this week) - have you gotten your acceptance letter yet? I feel slightly paranoid that I didn't really get in or something.... I keep checking my phone to make sure I really got a call from Duke. Yes, I know I'm crazy.

1. Is anyone thinking about buying a place instead of renting?
Thought about it but didn't pursue it. I know MD/PhDs usually buy.

2. What's the best cell phone provider in the area? Best service? :confused:
3. Do medical students live in certain areas near the school? :confused:

Driving because a) I finally have a car that can make the drive, b) can carry lots of stuff out with me, and c) don't know anything about shipping a car.

5. How cold does it get?
In the winter it gets into the forties (cold compared to socal, but nothing on the north); it snows, but the snow is not excessive. At most, it will stick around about a week. The great thing about NC is that you have the seasons without too much extreme weather (except humid summers), and that you will have nice days and see the sun in the middle of winter.

Here are the average highs and lows from www.weather.com: http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USNC0192?from=search

Hope to get roommates, but we'll see.

Hope this helps you!

Shaka said:
2. What's the best cell phone provider in the area? Best service? :confused:
QUOTE]

When I first came to Duke, I had a problem with Sprint. i couldnt get service in any buildings. I switched to Verizon, and havent had a problem since.

I'm probably going to buy. I've been renting this past year and I feel like I've just been throwing my money away. And roommates definitely...I can't stand living by myself. It's so boring.

Verizon is definitely the best cell phone provider in Durham. Sprint is probably the worst. It actually usually snows at least for a little bit during the winter, but it's wimpy snow...no more than a couple inches and usually the kind that will make you bleed if you get hit with a makeshift snowball. But the good thing is that NC is so unprepared for snow that classes usually get cancelled due to the ice on the streets. We once had two straight days cancelled for maybe 2-3 inches. And as far as I can tell, med students do live near campus, usually within 10 minutes or so. There are a good number of apartments/townhouses for rent in the area, so finding a place shouldn't be a problem

diosa, I actually stopped by the office to get my letter (I'm in the area), and it was for the exact same reason. I got paranoid that they had made a mistake and Mr. Wallace said I could just pick up my letter, so I did. They were sending some out Tuesday and some Wednesday, so you should get yours soon. Keep an eye out for a semi-cheesy envelope that you can't help but love because it shows they love you back.

And rex, he actually chose to go to UNC. Something about $30,000 less in tuition/year...blah blah blah. I think it was actually the high percentage of good-looking sorority girls.

MrBurns10 said:
diosa, I actually stopped by the office to get my letter (I'm in the area), and it was for the exact same reason. I got paranoid that they had made a mistake and Mr. Wallace said I could just pick up my letter, so I did. They were sending some out Tuesday and some Wednesday, so you should get yours soon. Keep an eye out for a semi-cheesy envelope that you can't help but love because it shows they love you back.

And rex, he actually chose to go to UNC. Something about $30,000 less in tuition/year...blah blah blah. I think it was actually the high percentage of good-looking sorority girls.

awww, that's too bad then, we should still hang out tho, i'm a pretty good sorority girl magnet. they always seem to want to take their clothes off around me.... :rolleyes:

kirexhana said:
awww, that's too bad then, we should still hang out tho, i'm a pretty good sorority girl magnet. they always seem to want to take their clothes off around me.... :rolleyes:
We have a lot in common.

And yeah, I'm sure we'll all hang out. Raleigh and Chapel Hill have some decent clubs, if you're interested. Durham has some bars and a couple small clubs, but that's about it. And there's always bowling...

MrBurns10 said:
We have a lot in common.

And yeah, I'm sure we'll all hang out. Raleigh and Chapel Hill have some decent clubs, if you're interested. Durham has some bars and a couple small clubs, but that's about it. And there's always bowling...

wait... so they like stripping for you too? :confused:

i would definitely be interested (as long as i don't get carded :oops: ) but hey, i'll be designated driver....

kirexhana said:
wait... so they like stripping for you too? :confused:
That's what I meant, but I was just joking. Unfortunately.

Wow, you're not 21 yet and you going to med school in the fall? That is impressive. A friend of mine from college who graduated with me is just turning 21 in a few days, and she's also off to med school in a few months.

MrBurns10 said:
We have a lot in common.

Good luck with that. UNC can kick Duke's ass in bowling. Bring it.

WholeLottaGame7 said:
Good luck with that. UNC can kick Duke's ass in bowling. Bring it.
I wouldn't be surprised. You southern boys got nothin' better to do than go bowlin'...well, except maybe go shootin'. You stay on your thread, traitor, ya hear??

Did I get the online accent right?

And excellent job in protecting the Duke Chapel, Gemma. I've never used this icon before, but now seems like a good time to break it out: :thumbup:

Not to mention we have the better school colors as well. Carolina Blue? it has no character, no substance. Duke's Royal Blue is the way to go, it's strong, enduring and meaningful ;) .

Burns wanted me to post here in a vain effort to try to convince you all that she is not the raging b***h that she comes across as. Which, clearly, I can't do, because that would be a lie.

My advice to all of you: don't touch her stuff, and don't look her directly in the eyes. She still might snap, but at least then you know you didn't bring it on yourself.

WholeLottaGame7 said:
Burns wanted me to post here in a vain effort to try to convince you all that she is not the raging b***h that she comes across as. Which, clearly, I can't do, because that would be a lie.

My advice to all of you: don't touch her stuff, and don't look her directly in the eyes. She still might snap, but at least then you know you didn't bring it on yourself.

so i take it you're the cute boyfriend?

EDIT: after reading your posts (to check if you posted in the premed picture thread, alas no pic from you), i've confirmed you are the cute boyfriend. now, the question is, did i meet you at 2nd look?

kirexhana said:
so i take it you're the cute boyfriend?

EDIT: after reading your posts (to check if you posted in the premed picture thread, alas no pic from you), i've confirmed you are the cute boyfriend. now, the question is, did i meet you at 2nd look?

I don't think so. I met pagemmapants and a couple other SDNers, but not a whole lot, though I'm sure I met more than I realized. I don't know how you Dukies roll, but us UNCers don't go around bragging about our SDN exploits :)

By the way, check out Burns' pic on that thread. That's really her. Luckily, I have a penguin fetish.

Edit: I'll undoubtedly meet most of you, particularly come basketball season. Oddly, I doubt I will find much sympathy rooting for Duke on the UNC campus.

WholeLottaGame7 said:
I don't think so. I met pagemmapants and a couple other SDNers, but not a whole lot, though I'm sure I met more than I realized. I don't know how you Dukies roll, but us UNCers don't go around bragging about our SDN exploits :)

By the way, check out Burns' pic on that thread. That's really her. Luckily, I have a penguin fetish.

Edit: I'll undoubtedly meet most of you, particularly come basketball season. Oddly, I doubt I will find much sympathy rooting for Duke on the UNC campus.

she's hot, but i think the real question is, how's her ability for regurgitation? does her lack of a gag reflex spice up the relationship?

Plus carolina blue doesn't go with denim. Yuck. It's like trying to wear jeans to a UCLA game with their powder blue/gold mixture. Heinous!
Royal blue, however, (note the use of the word ROYAL as well) goes extremely well with denim. And white. White heritage chinos from J.crew, in our "favorite fit", which falls at just 3 fingers below the navel and is flattering on every form.

Mert.

Sorry.

pagemmapants said:
Plus carolina blue doesn't go with denim. Yuck. It's like trying to wear jeans to a UCLA game with their powder blue/gold mixture. Heinous!
Royal blue, however, (note the use of the word ROYAL as well) goes extremely well with denim. And white. White heritage chinos from J.crew, in our "favorite fit", which falls at just 3 fingers below the navel and is flattering on every form.

Mert.

Sorry.

If y'all going to be going to Duke, you might as well know that it's called Duke blue.

Stay tuned for a public service announcement from Burns.

pagemmapants said:

Mert.

Sorry.

we are going to be bffs

now that i actually have something to post about, WHO'S EXCITED ABOUT CAMPOUT???????!!!!! i've never been white water rafting in my life!!!! this is going to be the best summer ever. :D

kirexhana said:
now that i actually have something to post about, WHO'S EXCITED ABOUT CAMPOUT???????!!!!! i've never been white water rafting in my life!!!! this is going to be the best summer ever. :D

Bah! Are you guys getting stuff about that already? I don't think they've added the waitlisters to the information pool yet... Soooo what else are we doing?

Also, unrelated - are those of you moving cross-country bringing furniture, buying furniture when you get there or trying to rent a furnished place? UHauls are expensive!

I think I'm shipping all my furniture and then driving my car/clothes/kitty across. . .

And yes, I AM excited about campout! This should be awesome - I've only ever done Class I, II rapids (in other words, the occasional splash here and there) so III/IV rapids might be fun! Plus I'm always up for hiking.

imma git git git you drunk
git you drunk off of my hump
my hump my hump
my lovely lady

BUMP!

I'm psyched about the campout! White-water rafting is a lot of fun and the NC mountains has some great hiking. I did a pre-undergrad hiking/camping thing with other Duke undergrads which was fun, but after two weeks I just wanted a shower and a burger.

Diosa, I got the campout e-mail but that might be because I already handed in my statement of intent and deposit. You're going to wait on FA before you do that, right?

MrBurns10 said:
Diosa, I got the campout e-mail but that might be because I already handed in my statement of intent and deposit. You're going to wait on FA before you do that, right?

Mmmmm I still haven't gotten my acceptance letter, so I can't send them anything! But I did get my FA today - small, white envelope. My stomach dropped. I was convinced they sent me a rejection letter. Not funny, Duke! I'm going to call tomorrow b/c I'm going on vacation Saturday (Bahamas!) and want to make sure they don't drop me next week when they can't get ahold of me.

Is this camping thing a weekend or a week? I'm pretty excited. I've never been white water rafting. I hope we make s'mores. But no singing. I don't sing. Unless we get drunk in the woods?

Here, I'll just post the text of the e-mail. . . I'm not a fan of the bolded part, but I guess it's best to play by the rules (for the first few weeks anyway).

To the entering class of 2006:

Congratulations on your acceptance to Duke Med! To start off your first year, the Office of Student Affairs, the Office of Admissions, and the class of 2009 would like to invite you to an Orientation Campout, which takes place *Friday, July 28th* through *Sunday, July 30st*. This is the weekend before the formal Medical School Orientation Week starts. The campout gives you the opportunity to meet and bond with your classmates in a relaxed atmosphere before classes begin, and it’s a fun way to kick off the year. Following tradition, we are planning a trip to western North Carolina to enjoy two nights and three days in the mountains. All food, supplies, transportation and activities will be provided by Duke free of charge, except for food during the rides there and back.

There are two main activities planned for Saturday afternoon. One activity is white-water rafting on the French Broad River. This river has class II-IV rapids, but no experience is necessary. All rafters wear life jackets, so no significant swimming skills are required, and most people never fall out of the rafts. The other Saturday activity is hiking. We will be camping near Mt. Mitchell, the highest mountain in the Eastern US. We are planning an easy hike in this area, possibly driving part of the way up the mountain and then hiking to the top, which has great views of the surrounding area. The amount of hiking will be determined by those who participate. Saturday night is filled with group activities so you can get to know your classmates and some older students as well. This is an alcohol free event, and you will receive more information on this in the coming weeks.

This email is simply a SAVE THE DATE email. We will send you much more information in the coming weeks containing information about what to bring and how to RSVP. Last year we had an exceptional turnout for campout, and it was a great time. We hope you'll make this year even better!

If you have any questions about campout, please feel free to email or call me. My name is XXXXXXX. I'm finishing up my first year and I'll be coordinating the campout attendance. My email is XXXXXX or you can call my cell phone at XXXXXXX. Have a great summer. We can’t wait to meet you!

pagemmapants said:
Here, I'll just post the text of the e-mail. . . I'm not a fan of the bolded part, but I guess it's best to play by the rules (for the first few weeks anyway).

Congratulations on your acceptance to Duke Med! To start off your first year, the Office of Student Affairs, the Office of Admissions, and the class of 2009 would like to invite you to an Orientation Campout, which takes place *Friday, July 28th* through *Sunday, July 30st*. This is the weekend before the formal Medical School Orientation Week starts. The campout gives you the opportunity to meet and bond with your classmates in a relaxed atmosphere before classes begin, and it’s a fun way to kick off the year. Following tradition, we are planning a trip to western North Carolina to enjoy two nights and three days in the mountains. All food, supplies, transportation and activities will be provided by Duke free of charge, except for food during the rides there and back.

There are two main activities planned for Saturday afternoon. One activity is white-water rafting on the French Broad River. This river has class II-IV rapids, but no experience is necessary. All rafters wear life jackets, so no significant swimming skills are required, and most people never fall out of the rafts. The other Saturday activity is hiking. We will be camping near Mt. Mitchell, the highest mountain in the Eastern US. We are planning an easy hike in this area, possibly driving part of the way up the mountain and then hiking to the top, which has great views of the surrounding area. The amount of hiking will be determined by those who participate. Saturday night is filled with group activities so you can get to know your classmates and some older students as well. This is an alcohol free event, and you will receive more information on this in the coming weeks.

This email is simply a SAVE THE DATE email. We will send you much more information in the coming weeks containing information about what to bring and how to RSVP. Last year we had an exceptional turnout for campout, and it was a great time. We hope you'll make this year even better!

damnit!!! that means if i make a fool of myself i won't have any excuses... oh well.
i doubt it'll be completely EtOH-free (yes, i said it, i'm a nerd). any good camping trip that i've ever been on, somebody always manages to bring along something to make us all warm and fuzzy.

pagemmapants said:

If you have any questions about campout, please feel free to email or call me. My name is XXXXXXX. I'm finishing up my first year and I'll be coordinating the campout attendance. My email is XXXXXX or you can call my cell phone at XXXXXXX. Have a great summer. We can’t wait to meet you!

Thanks! :thumbup:

"Saturday night is filled with group activities so you can get to know your classmates and some older students as well." - s'mores? hopefully not stupid games.

"This is an alcohol free event" = "we will not provide alcohol for you because it is a liability to have drunk students running around in the woods, especially near water. If we tell you this, then we cannot be held responsible for stupid things that you do."

diosa428 said:
"Saturday night is filled with group activities so you can get to know your classmates and some older students as well." - s'mores? hopefully not stupid games.

"This is an alcohol free event" = "we will not provide alcohol for you because it is a liability to have drunk students running around in the woods, especially near water. If we tell you this, then we cannot be held responsible for stupid things that you do."

hell yea!!!! BOOB it is then!! (well, i'll chip in ;) ) also, chances are, the seemingly stupid games will be a lot more fun once we're buzzed. two birds with one stone....

i've tried calculating all the interest and amortization crap from the list of lenders that duke recommends. did any of them seem like good deals to you?

i'm tempted to go with BoA cuz of their -1% outstanding principle balance for every 12 payments on time (up to -3%). i THINK it comes out be 1k less after including interest than duke/sallie mae. did you guys find a better lender than the ones listed?

chances are that we will consolidate the loan once we graduate for lower interest. if not, find a hospital that is willing to pay our debt with a 2-3 years contract.

diosa428 said:
Alcohol-free is disappointing. heck, I know I get to know people best whenever I'm drunk...

I'm sure there will be plenty of parties during the year. rex, when do you turn 21?

I'm guess I should join this thread now. I was on the fence for a while since I went to Duke undergrad I wanted some place new but weighing it fully I keep finding myself back at Duke.

1. Is anyone thinking about buying a place instead of renting? I live in California and have to give blood to make rent. Durham is dirt cheap in my opinion.

always cheaper to buy

2. What's the best cell phone provider in the area? Best service?

I dunno. I had cingular it was fine.

3. Do medical students live in certain areas near the school?
i know a med stud that lives in Swift apts cuz you can Dukebus or bike. im sure a lot of people live in the apts complexs off erwin rd.

5. How cold does it get?
i think it gets cold but I'm Florida, the lowest it got when i was there was in the teens. the most snow was 10inches freshman yr. there are more ice storms than snow.

I would like a roomie.

That's all I got for now.[/QUOTE]