Duke, class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NubianPrincess said:
Bumping! Camping trip is just a month away! Let's move to Durham, people!

When are ya'll planning to arrive in Durham? I am thinking July 19ish. :) need to do some shopping before we go camping!

Speaking of which, do we need to sign up for that camping trip yet?

Rex and Forever - no matter what the culture or language, soap operas, are all definitely dramatic, plot-twisting, heart-involving shows!

heheh give me the murder mysteries.

Members don't see this ad.

Shaka said:
When are ya'll planning to arrive in Durham? I am thinking July 19ish. :) need to do some shopping before we go camping!

Rex and Forever - no matter what the culture or language, soap operas, are all definitely dramatic, plot-twisting, heart-involving shows!

speaking of all the soap opera action, anyone interested in a grey's anatomy night every other sunday that's not right before a test day?

has anyone heard anything new about the camping trip, I only got the one email. no one has rsvped yet right?

Members don't see this ad :)
evljanevl said:
has anyone heard anything new about the camping trip, I only got the one email. no one has rsvped yet right?

Received one today in which they request an RSVP by July 1st. :)

Shaka said:

Im going to be there around July 22nd. Before I get there I hope to get some of your contact information via PM. I'll need all the company I can get! :laugh:

Yea, I think we should start a contact list with name, cell phone, email and date of arrival or something, does Michelle want to put this together?

I second the contact list idea.

I'm not getting into Durham until the 24th...I feel like that's pretty late in the game, but I have to house/pet-sit for my parents until 22 July, so I can't make it down any earlier. I guess I might as well enjoy the free food, cable, and dog kisses at home, because that will all be ending real soon!

PS. I was making small talk with a friend of the family who is a middle-aged family practice doc, and he felt it necessary to tell me how much he hated the basic science part of med school, how he studied anatomy until his eyes bled (appealing image there, I know), and how I was definitely not going to have time to do anything besides study and sleep and maybe not even sleep...I'm sure that he's just a grumpy old man who happened to have a bad experience, but seriously, that was not what I wanted to hear!

Then again, most other people have just been saying 'stay away from the lacrosse team'...haha, like I haven't heard that one before...

I'm so tired of lacrosse references. . . dude, SERIOUSLY.

Good call with the contact list. PM me for cellyphone, etc. I'll be moving back in with Mum and Dad on July 03 but will be gone again from the 18-25th. However, before the 18th and after the 25th I'll be pretty much bored stupid with nothing to do. Yeeeeeeeeeeeah.

Anyone else excited about the campout? Lookin' forward to it, kiddies! I'll be the one whooping on the rapids and taking WAY too many pictures all weekend.

ok, ok, i don't know if michelle wanted to compile everything so i'll volunteer then. send full name, cell phone and email to me, people!!!!! i don't want to have to PM all you bums. :p :)

cuuuuuuuz it ain't no lie, baby, bye bye BUMP! :p

ok people, i have NubianPrincess, IHaveLab, pagemmapants and Shaka. Anyone else want to send me their contact stuff before i email it?

ok, i've got 6 people total so far. going once, going twice..... it's going to be gone and emailed out by tomorrow so send me your stuff if you want a piece of this!

ooo, i was out the last few days due to vacation (and still is on vacation), so just forward me the email if you dont mind and i'll reply all to y'all.

forevalwayzz said:
ooo, i was out the last few days due to vacation (and still is on vacation), so just forward me the email if you dont mind and i'll reply all to y'all.

pm me your email you bum!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else realize that the date to submit the immunization forms has already passed? I just got my ID and password today. Not only that, but I had all my stuff lined up to submit the info they wanted....and then when I went to do it, it says I have to have the chicken pox vaccine [since I have probably been to a doctor around 4 times in my life and did not go when I had chicken pox...meaning I have no documentation of ever having it]. Hopefully Duke isn't going to hold us to those deadlines...

Hi my future fellows,

I cannot login to the online safety courses. Has anyone else had this trouble?

Dr.Dr. said:
Hi my future fellows,

I cannot login to the online safety courses. Has anyone else had this trouble?

there's a link that allows you to figure out with your unique Duke ID (a 7 digit number?) is by typing in your name, bday and social. use the number that comes up along with your last name. it's not the same number as the student ID.

UTpremed said:
Did anyone else realize that the date to submit the immunization forms has already passed? I just got my ID and password today. Not only that, but I had all my stuff lined up to submit the info they wanted....and then when I went to do it, it says I have to have the chicken pox vaccine [since I have probably been to a doctor around 4 times in my life and did not go when I had chicken pox...meaning I have no documentation of ever having it]. Hopefully Duke isn't going to hold us to those deadlines...

Weellllll, they don't actually ask for documentation, so you could put down the date of when you had it, and then work on getting a vaccine later (just in case). :rolleyes:

Shaka said:
Weellllll, they don't actually ask for documentation, so you could put down the date of when you had it, and then work on getting a vaccine later (just in case). :rolleyes:

i thought they DO ask for documentation. at least it said we're supposed to mail them a copy on the immunization input website. either way, my tetanus booster is way overdue.

congrats to all of you!!! i just graduated from duke undergrad last month and it's a WONDERFUL place to be. the med students i know are some of the awesomest people ever...i'd do anything to be able to go to school for another 4 years there. if you have any questions about the area/housing/campus or whatever let me know.

kirexhana said:
i thought they DO ask for documentation. at least it said we're supposed to mail them a copy on the immunization input website. either way, my tetanus booster is way overdue.

Hmm, well a doctor saw my chicken pox, but I don't have any documents saying that... I did get a titer, which showed I still have immunity to the chickenpox. I guess it would be best to just do that or get the shot.

I did send copies of my immunization records and TB test, per their request.
But nothing about the chicken pox. We'll see what happens. ;0)

Eh! I am leaving in less than a week! Must...start...packing...

Don't forget to register for our classes. Registration starts today and ends July 30.

Go to the registrar's website, http://medschool.duke.edu/modules/som_registrar/index.php?id=1 , and click on ACES, login, and register.

There are two INTERDIS 100B Molecules and Cells courses; we are in the one that says MD1.

Hey at least we know that we will all get into the classes that we need. :p

Shaka said:
Hmm, well a doctor saw my chicken pox, but I don't have any documents saying that... I did get a titer, which showed I still have immunity to the chickenpox. I guess it would be best to just do that or get the shot.

I did send copies of my immunization records and TB test, per their request.
But nothing about the chicken pox. We'll see what happens. ;0)

Eh! I am leaving in less than a week! Must...start...packing...

well, on my immunization card, there's a box to check under varicella for "had disease" and i guess, my doctor just has to verify this and sign on the side.

So...how do we get our PIN numbers for registration? Also, have you guys been getting packets of info in the mail? I've gotten things from the Bursar's office but really nothing else...heck, I wouldn't have even known registration starts today if one of you hadn't mentioned it.

Edit: Ah, nevermind. The PIN thing was a problem with my ACES, but it's getting fixed.

we only sign up for the three classes right? 100B, 101B, and 105B.

forevalwayzz said:
we only sign up for the three classes right? 100B, 101B, and 105B.

Yeah, as far as I know. I just did it last night...make sure you follow the instructions sent by the registrar (first click '+PRI' for each class, then click 'enroll all')--the process didn't seem very intuitive to me and I probably would have done it wrong if I hadn't followed the directions.

Oh, and heads up to everybody about the online safety and compliance training. I just did it a few minutes ago and the main menu said that today was the deadline for completing it (not that anyone is that likely to care if you're a few days late, but still...). It took me around 35 minutes or so to do all of the modules.

IHaveLab said:
Yeah, as far as I know. I just did it last night...make sure you follow the instructions sent by the registrar (first click '+PRI' for each class, then click 'enroll all')--the process didn't seem very intuitive to me and I probably would have done it wrong if I hadn't followed the directions.

Oh, and heads up to everybody about the online safety and compliance training. I just did it a few minutes ago and the main menu said that today was the deadline for completing it (not that anyone is that likely to care if you're a few days late, but still...). It took me around 35 minutes or so to do all of the modules.

i think the deadline is set by the day that you first sign in. cuz for me the deadline was on 07/03. and yea, i really don't think they'll care, cuz it looks like we're going to have to retake some of those tests later anyway.

I think someone on here mentioned that we could somehow get our insurance to start August 1, but I couldn't find that info...anyone know how I can do that? thanks a lot

MrBurns10 said:
I think someone on here mentioned that we could somehow get our insurance to start August 1, but I couldn't find that info...anyone know how I can do that? thanks a lot

Call Hill, Chesson & Woody, who handle the Blue Cross/Blue Shield of NC plan for Duke students. Here is the website: http://www.hillchesson.com/duke.htm Phone: 919-489-7426.

Just call and ask them about coverage during that in between time. It's pro-rated, and cost me around $70. It's easy (they know exactly what you need).

Shaka said:
Call Hill, Chesson & Woody, who handle the Blue Cross/Blue Shield of NC plan for Duke students. Here is the website: http://www.hillchesson.com/duke.htm Phone: 919-489-7426.

Just call and ask them about coverage during that in between time. It's pro-rated, and cost me around $70. It's easy (they know exactly what you need).
thanks! sounds easy enough

hey kiddos!!!

what's good? I just wanted to say hello and welcome to duke!!! YAY!!! you guys are awesome! I just finished my first year and it was great and now i have 3 wks of break and i just wanted to know if you guys need any questions answered or anything of that sort. I love chatting with new folks so just let me know..

~Loren :D

Hey people,

Any input on the alumni-student link program (see new handout posted on Blackboard; courses.duke.edu)?

Everybody going to the Medical Alumni Association reception and bball game during orientation?

Oooh and I learned that we can order/apply for our parking permit online rather than fill out the pdf file form. parking.duke.edu

Hi Loren! I am sure we will all have tons of questions for you come orientation... Will we meet you then, or will all of you second years already be busy on the wards? :)

Shaka said:
Hey people,

Any input on the alumni-student link program (see new handout posted on Blackboard; courses.duke.edu)?

Everybody going to the Medical Alumni Association reception and bball game during orientation?

Oooh and I learned that we can order/apply for our parking permit online rather than fill out the pdf file form. parking.duke.edu

Hi Loren! I am sure we will all have tons of questions for you come orientation... Will we meet you then, or will all of you second years already be busy on the wards? :)

Hey shaka and everyone..

so the alumni thing is cool.. i dont know too many people who use their link regularly, but it's a NICE reception at the ballpark and the game is nice too..a lot of folks go so go and enjoy!. in terms of parking it is MUCH easier to do it online.. the link is: http://parking.duke.edu. Easier b/c the permit will just be ready for u to pickup rather than to have to register for it when u get here.. you will definitely meet me during orientation. i will pop in.. we will be in intersession during your first week of orientation but i might pop up on the camping trip, depending on what time i finish my female/male pelvic exam training (BE JEALOUS!!) hope all is well.. keep 'em coming

~L

:laugh
kirexhana said:
speaking of all the soap opera action, anyone interested in a grey's anatomy night every other sunday that's not right before a test day?

hahah please believe that umm.. (cough cough)..we all still watched it the sunday nites before tests too! hell..ya gotta have a study break...YAY!! doctor shows..i only just got into grey's b4 that i was all over house and the amazingly true-to-life, all medicine and no fluff saga that was NIP/TUCK..lol.hahah hope all is well.. :laugh:

nearly $600 to park at PG3?! outrageous!!!!!! did they include this in our budget also? If not, i'll have to find a nice, clean dumpster near class to live in...

forevalwayzz said:
nearly $600 to park at PG3?! outrageous!!!!!! did they include this in our budget also? If not, i'll have to find a nice, clean dumpster near class to live in...

Thankfully, it's actually $140. :D

Just wanted to pop my head in and say congrats to all of the new Dukies coming to Durham! My only rec is to try to come to as many of the events as possible, pre school and during the orientation and during that first block bc that is when some good friends are made. even if you don't drink or like to go to bars or dance or baseball or camping or anything, just come out and meet and greet for the sake of your 4 years at Duke.
AND RELAX!! no one wants to hear about how you have been reading First Aid over the summer to get ready for classes, just ease into the year and be ready for the 2nd block bc that is when it counts (but not enough to become a gunner).
I'll be moving into the lab next year so I will have a little more time to meet some of you at events, don't forget to invite the upper class people to your gatherings, esp 3rd years like to hang out!

DukeDoc08 said:
AND RELAX!! no one wants to hear about how you have been reading First Aid over the summer to get ready for classes,

I've been re-reading Harry Potter... Rex, you with me on that? :D

Shaka said:
I've been re-reading Harry Potter... Rex, you with me on that? :D

hahaha, HELL YEA! although i promised myself that i'd never EVER read the ending of book 5 ever again. in fact, it may as well never have happened, becuase it didn't... :(

and as for 3rd years... just a quick shout out to any girls who wants to date my 3rd year roomies. apparently they're willing to dive into the undergrad scene, but i'm convinced that the hot ladies of 2010 are much better for them. pm me for details and be sure to include bust size (i already have MrBurns10's). one that is equivalent to your mcat score is preferred. ;) :p , j/k (i shudder at the thought of a women with 40T boobies.)

kirexhana said:
and be sure to include bust size (i already have MrBurns10's)
I had just assumed you wanted that included in our personal info. What's more important in a future classmate than bra size?

MrBurns10 said:
I had just assumed you wanted that included in our personal info. What's more important in a future classmate than bra size?

well if you were a guy, i'd have ask for.... but you're right, nothing else is more important than the size of your cans.

errrr.... yeahh.... i'm no jumping on this wagon so question to the future commuter, which garage(s) do we park in? (I just signed up for the $140 but it doesn't say much on where, but it would be pointless if it say in your own garage)

forevalwayzz said:
errrr.... yeahh.... i'm no jumping on this wagon so question to the future commuter, which garage(s) do we park in? (I just signed up for the $140 but it doesn't say much on where, but it would be pointless if it say in your own garage)

hahaha, i was kidding, kev. about the parking lot, i'm hearing a lot about PG 3? it's right across the street from duke south clinic, i believe.

Unfortunately, PG1 is the hospital across from Duke South and PG2 is the parking garage directly across from Duke North (the main hospital). PG3 is further down the road and is a bit of a hike. They probably have buses that run from PG3 to Duke South because it'll be a good 20 min walk. I believe we park in PG2 during second year.

MrBurns10 said:
Unfortunately, PG1 is the hospital across from Duke South and PG2 is the parking garage directly across from Duke North (the main hospital). PG3 is further down the road and is a bit of a hike. They probably have buses that run from PG3 to Duke South because it'll be a good 20 min walk. I believe we park in PG2 during second year.

oh..... so that's why it said 1,3,4 year med student on the permit ordering website. we only get that parking garage during 2nd year.... oh well.

onto a more important topic.... what am i going to wear for the first day of class??

Ok, so I'm trying to get a grip on all the stuff we need to have done (and to see if I actually HAVE it done) so. . . in traditional Gemma style, imma make a list.

1. Immunization records/other Healthy Devil forms
2. Safety/HIPAA online courses
3. RSVP for campout
4. RSVP for white coat
5. RSVP for baseball game/MAA reception
6. Registration
7. Parking permit registration
8. Authorize promissory note for loans
9. Personal information on the registrar's website
10. Read book
11. RSVP and Dietary restrictions form for Orientation week
12. Lose 5 lbs and get a tan
13. Increase alcohol tolerance

Am I forgetting anything?

I think that Grey's Anatomy is actually going to be on Thursdays this year, so we don't have to worry about it interfering with studying :) Did anyone get a reply for the campout thing after they emailed? I want to be sure I'm on the list. Also, is anyone going on that retreat that they just posted info about? It sounds interesting but I also am not sure I want to take off for a weekend so early in the year...

heyt kids..

u talkin about the integrative medicine retreat.i hear it was good last year
but i didnt go. there are a LOT of fun things to do when you guys get here and it's not to intense in those first coupla weeks if you want to do it. in terms of parking..it used to be ~$600 last year but the parking representative from the student government took it up with the parking folks and negotiated down to $140....yipeee..much saving of the loot....in any case, more questions? keep 'em coming!!

~L

LRmed2003 said:
heyt kids..

u talkin about the integrative medicine retreat.i hear it was good last year
but i didnt go. there are a LOT of fun things to do when you guys get here and it's not to intense in those first coupla weeks if you want to do it. in terms of parking..it used to be ~$600 last year but the parking representative from the student government took it up with the parking folks and negotiated down to $140....yipeee..much saving of the loot....in any case, more questions? keep 'em coming!!

~L

hmmm.... it sounds like some good clean fun. anyone else interested?