Duke, class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pagemmapants said:
Ok, so I'm trying to get a grip on all the stuff we need to have done (and to see if I actually HAVE it done) so. . . in traditional Gemma style, imma make a list.

1. Immunization records/other Healthy Devil forms
2. Safety/HIPAA online courses
3. RSVP for campout
4. RSVP for white coat
5. RSVP for baseball game/MAA reception
6. Registration
7. Parking permit registration
8. Authorize promissory note for loans
9. Personal information on the registrar's website
10. Read book
11. RSVP and Dietary restrictions form for Orientation week
12. Lose 5 lbs and get a tan
13. Increase alcohol tolerance

Am I forgetting anything?

oh shut up, gemma, you're gorgeous and you know it. :p ;) me on the other hand, i think i'll need two seats for lecture. too bad you can't move then closer together..

Members don't see this ad.

ya'll are seriously crackin me up!!

So '09 kids can call themselves "class of oh-nine". . . but what are we? "class of one-oh" sounds ******ed. "Twenty-Ten"? "Diez"? "The second Asimov book with the creepy talking computer"?

Members don't see this ad :)
And about that integrative medicine retreat. . . I wish we had some more info about. All the flier is really offering is free food, air conditioning, and a fwimmin' poo (or lake, notice the lack of specificity). Dunno.

But in other news, is anyone else daunted by the sheer magnitude of the schedule for first week?! Additionally. . . think we can bring a change of clothes to swap into at lunch after the photo is taken?

orientation schedule is full and many of you will not make it to the 8'oclocks after a night of conversing and being jolly!! some of the lectures are pointless, the key is to get your computer as quickly as possible and get online as quickly as possible and chit chat on those new fangled-computer talking thingies.
Oh, if I remember correctly you can surely change out of your clothes after the picture, but definitely wear something nice for the picture because it will be hanging on the wall for eternity and you don't want to look like you're slumming it!

DukeDoc08 said:
orientation schedule is full and many of you will not make it to the 8'oclocks after a night of conversing and being jolly!! some of the lectures are pointless, the key is to get your computer as quickly as possible and get online as quickly as possible and chit chat on those new fangled-computer talking thingies.
Oh, if I remember correctly you can surely change out of your clothes after the picture, but definitely wear something nice for the picture because it will be hanging on the wall for eternity and you don't want to look like you're slumming it!

oh crap, i'm sure i'll be the one who forgot to wear good clothes day 1 and go down in infamy as the med student who looked like deep fried poop.

no worries..there are always a few who do..lol...but most folks look presentable, at least those first coupla days... :) they will hand out your comps in the amphitheater..so dont worry about getting them "as soon as possible" because there is no way to get them b4 they distribute them to u...ya feel me? what else? i will be back in durham next thursday..lol..i just can't stay away...hahaha in any case..i will be back later..

umm so some of us are planning some things for u guys...do you guys have the orientation schedule and 1st week of classes schedule that u could email me?

umm so some of us are planning some things for u guys...do you guys have the orientation schedule and 1st week of classes schedule that u could email me? PM me if yes and i'll give u my email addy...

hey LRMed,
Do all the students have to get a duke-issued computer? Or does the technology fee that we have to pay cover the computer whether or not we need one?

Also, feel free to PM me your e-mail address. We don't have our first week of class schedule yet, but I can send you the one for orientation.

I think we're all required to get the Duke-issued one. They're probably all bought and set up for us before orientation starts as it is.
So. "Professional attire". This was bad enough to figure out for interviews when we were SURE we had to wear a suit. Now is it "coordinated skirt and blouse" or "suits only" or "trousers with a crease and a professional skirt" or what?

pagemmapants said:
I think we're all required to get the Duke-issued one. They're probably all bought and set up for us before orientation starts as it is.
So. "Professional attire". This was bad enough to figure out for interviews when we were SURE we had to wear a suit. Now is it "coordinated skirt and blouse" or "suits only" or "trousers with a crease and a professional skirt" or what?

I'm probably going to wear the skirt from my suit (because I like it and it's just the right length to be "professional") and a blouse. I would assume that nice pants would also be fine for girls, and boys should wear nice pants and a shirt and tie.

awww..all your outfits sound JUST splendid..;)...just FYI i tried to hustle the tech folks b/c i wanted an iBook last year..wht happens is? you get charged the tech fee and get the comp no matter wht..one day during orientation..they just have all these boxes with everyone's names on them with the comps in them.. they're prtty cool..not many problems on my end..if u have ur own laptop u could bring it..but it would prlly be better to use the school issued one..just b/c everything is on there ready to go...lol..and just wait til you get Trillian..there'll be no stopping you guys on the IMs..lol..soooo..yeah the professional attire isnt so bad tht first day for pix and such...i hope everyone is enjoying their last bit of summer, though u still get to enjoy it more once u get to durham...hooray!!! ok..just wanted to type hooray for no reason at all..in any case..holla at ya'll

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey ya'll,

Finally found a computer that works on the road. Hello from New Mexico! Yup, me and my mama already started the road trip cause we are taking our sweet time getting out there. We are even taking a break from driving today and chillin' out in Santa Fe.

For all you other SoCal peeps planning on driving out, we are taking the I40...

About dressing up... I am happy to hear that you don't think that we need to wear that interview suit deal. heheh

aight take care.

LRmed2003 said:
just FYI i tried to hustle the tech folks b/c i wanted an iBook last year
hmm...did that work?

And I'm going to just wear a skirt and blouse on the first day. That or my outfit from the summer I worked the streets...it was professional then, so I don't see why things would be any different here.

MrBurns10 said:
hmm...did that work?

And I'm going to just wear a skirt and blouse on the first day. That or my outfit from the summer I worked the streets...it was professional then, so I don't see why things would be any different here.

well if EVERYONE's going to be wearing skirts and blouses... i might as well join in the fun too. anyone going for the skanky secretary look? what about the dominatrix school teacher?

j/p, i don't cross dress.... often. ;) :p

Ooooh, tonight's weather just reminded me of something that I feel I should warn you about. If you haven't ever lived in this general 3-4 state vicinity, be prepared for the thunderstorms. They are amaaaaaaaayzing! *glee*

pagemmapants said:
Ooooh, tonight's weather just reminded me of something that I feel I should warn you about. If you haven't ever lived in this general 3-4 state vicinity, be prepared for the thunderstorms. They are amaaaaaaaayzing! *glee*

i love thunder and rain. it's strangely comforting.

apparently, i'm not a criminal, according to ACXIOM. WoO HOO! time to celebrate with some korean bbq!

well it looks like i won't have a car until the 30th.... the shipping company estimated about a 10-12 day delivery starting from tomorrow.. *sigh* is anyone willing to gimme a ride to school incase i can't make it to orientation? :oops: i'll be your bestest friend ever.... :D

Campout in T-10 days, kiddos. *flail*

By the way - this may be a little preemptive, but has anyone thought of what we should do for halloween?

pagemmapants said:

By the way - this may be a little preemptive, but has anyone thought of what we should do for halloween?

have a party? it seems like the thing to do these days ;)

oh yea, and kevin, i do have a place to live, i just might not have transportation anywhere for the first week that i'm there :(. getting lost with someone else is always better than by yourself!

pagemmapants said:

halloween you ask? is pure craziness i say.. lol..most if not everyone in the area goes to chapel hill..they close off franklin street (the main bar/club strip) and everyone is out in full out crazy costumes...it was soooooooo fun and crazy last year... to the tune of ..80,000 ghosts, ghouls, goblins..you catch my drift..lol

:hardy:

Sweeeeeeet. Now all I have to do is decide which Final Fantasy character I want to dress up as and start makin' my costume!

NERD!

Have you guys gotten anything about the campout? Because I haven't heard anything, not even an e-mail saying they got my e-mail...

MrBurns10 said:
Have you guys gotten anything about the campout? Because I haven't heard anything, not even an e-mail saying they got my e-mail...

nope, nada... :(

pagemmapants said:
Sweeeeeeet. Now all I have to do is decide which Final Fantasy character I want to dress up as and start makin' my costume!

NERD!

you'd make for a good rikku or tifa.

hmph, i guess i will have to find myself a hugeeeeee sword then... and rex, I asked where will you live so I can pick you up if you still need a ride.

forevalwayzz said:
hmph, i guess i will have to find myself a hugeeeeee sword then... and rex, I asked where will you live so I can pick you up if you still need a ride.

oh, hahaha, i reread what i wrote and what you wrote. i'll email you my address :oops: :p

hey, did you guys fill out that survey from the office of curriculum, for them to assign our gross anatomy groups? what happened after you clicked submit? did it redirect to the blackboard website?

cuz after multiple "please answer the question" pop-ups, i finally got there, but i was wondering if we were supposed to get any type of "your height has been, submitted" messages. anyone else have the same problem?

kirexhana said:
hey, did you guys fill out that survey from the office of curriculum, for them to assign our gross anatomy groups? what happened after you clicked submit? did it redirect to the blackboard website?

cuz after multiple "please answer the question" pop-ups, i finally got there, but i was wondering if we were supposed to get any type of "your height has been, submitted" messages. anyone else have the same problem?
Yep, I had the same problem. I was thinking of e-mailing her today and asking her about it.

MrBurns10 said:
Yep, I had the same problem. I was thinking of e-mailing her today and asking her about it.

Yeah I had that problem too. What do you guys think of the "supplemental" reading? I probably won't do it, because I was a science major and I probably won't have the time/energy, but I feel like maybe I should anyway?

diosa428 said:
Yeah I had that problem too. What do you guys think of the "supplemental" reading? I probably won't do it, because I was a science major and I probably won't have the time/energy, but I feel like maybe I should anyway?

nah..... i think we'll all do fine. the topics listed seem familiar enough, and she did say it was for those of us that felt anxious...

for me, anxious = sitting around with nothing to do but read up on biochem + genetics...

i payed more attention to mac's email actually. beers vs. biochem, eh? tough choice, why not both? i think i'll do a little study on the lack of aldehyde dehydrogenase in the asian population, with n=1. ;) :p

kirexhana said:
i think i'll do a little study on the lack of aldehyde dehydrogenase in the asian population, with n=1. ;) :p

Cute, maybe if you get some good data you can expand that into your third year research project. ;)

Ummm textbooks? Can we talk about the fact that I was a Neuroscience major and have a bazillion Neuro books and they managed to pick one that I don't already have? Bad deal. Anyway, I guess I'll probably wait to buy them until I talk to some upperclassmen about what they actually used, but I have a feeling the ones that will be used in later classes might be important.

Ack, I'm leaving on Saturday and I'm not ready at all!

Ok, that e-mail from our professor officially freaked me out. Med school starts in a couple weeks...I am SO not prepared at all.

We should take a bet as to how many of our classmates will have at least five chapters of these textbooks highlighted and outlined by the beginning of school. I'm going to go conservative and say...17 out of 100.

MrBurns10 said:
Ok, that e-mail from our professor officially freaked me out. Med school starts in a couple weeks...I am SO not prepared at all.

We should take a bet as to how many of our classmates will have at least five chapters of these textbooks highlighted and outlined by the beginning of school. I'm going to go conversative and say...17 out of 100.

hahaha, i'm going to be one of the 83... blissfully uncaring about molecules and cells. :) it's the last summer break of my entire life, there's no way in hell i'm going to spend it studying.. :cool:

i'm heading out tom from houston at the break of dawn alone AND by myself, so i'm a bit scare and excited (no, not that kind of excited)... on a gloomer note, I think i will not like the entire classmate, esp that guy who wrote something about us being the worse class so and so because we're scientists (the hell is that guy thinking when he write that?!)

forevalwayzz said:
i'm heading out tom from houston at the break of dawn alone AND by myself, so i'm a bit scare and excited (no, not that kind of excited)... on a gloomer note, I think i will not like the entire classmate, esp that guy who wrote something about us being the worse class so and so because we're scientists (the hell is that guy thinking when he write that?!)

drive safely! and about bill, i think i'm just going to give him the benefit of the doubt. he may have been drunk or something to be that negative. who knows? :oops:

oh yea, is anyone else having trouble accessing their lotus notes? i went to mail.duke.edu, clicked notes mail, typed in my net id, and then was directed to a page that asked for username and password. typed in my net id again, and "welcome" as the password, and it wouldn't let me in :(

kirexhana said:
oh yea, is anyone else having trouble accessing their lotus notes? i went to mail.duke.edu, clicked notes mail, typed in my net id, and then was directed to a page that asked for username and password. typed in my net id again, and "welcome" as the password, and it wouldn't let me in :(

Yeah I tried "welcome" and my other password and neither worked. I dunno what the problem is. Did anyone ever figure out that anatomy thing? I wonder if my info was submitted.

update on me. I started out alone at 730am (CST) from Houston, and after 825 miles later, I'm now in Atlanta @ the Marriott hotel just to reward myelf for 10 hours of driving. Free internet, pool, spa, and workout access ^_^ only 400 miles to go for tomorrow then hello Durham, sniff...

Well, I am here! I am setting up my apartment [North Pointe Commons]. Going to show the parents Duke tomorrow. Adios amigos.

yay..i like north pointe commons...good choice..i actually just moved my apartment and we (rising 2nd years) just started OCY today. i have been here..in and out of the amphitheater all day..and now it's 5:45 and we're in this session about stuff to do our 3rd year...argh..it goes til 7pm and i am READY TO GO HOME!!! in any case...hope all is well and see ya'll this wknd or next week! :)

Me staying at Courtney Creek Apartment Homes (off of 55) if any of yall interested in dropping by, there's a swimming pool here ^_^

i'm here!!!!!!! at alexan farms. no car until saturday:( ...

edit: damn, not "place" i keep forgetting that.

Hey people,

I'm in Durham too. I've actually been here for a while, but haven't had internet access, except for occasionally when I can get to the library near my house, so I've been out of touch. I'm living near South Square, (not to be confused with the fancy big mall, South Pointe), near the 15/501. Anyway, I hope to make the Thursday thing to actually meet some people face-to-face! :)

If I don't see you then, maybe I'll see you bright and early Friday morning. Or Monday...

Peace

kirexhana said:

Hi all,

Did I miss an email? I don't remember seeing anything about anatomy groups.

Thanks

guys, i'm soooooo bored. i hate not having a car. does anyone want to go get lunch or something? :)

CAMPOUT TOMORROW!!!

w00t!!! Good to see you guys (the ones I DID see) at Tyler's tonight. For those I didn't see and who were there, I was the gal in the cowboy hat. See you tomorrow, one and all! (Bright and early at the b-crack (relatively speaking) of dawn. Kinda.)