Duke, class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was gonna go with MedLoans

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone list courses they were going to take but now that you're in, have decided not to take (Such as Biochem)?

To those that are possibly buying homes, how are you doing it if you don't live near Duke? Are you flying out to check places out? Are you trusting pictures and realtors? How do you know which areas are nice?

I also heard that the river we'll be rafting down is home to one of the world's most venomous water snakes.

MrBurns10 said:
Alcohol-free is disappointing. heck, I know I get to know people best whenever I'm drunk...

I'm sure there will be plenty of parties during the year. rex, when do you turn 21?

january of second year.... i really hope that my birthday isn't smack dab in the middle of the medicine rotation.... :( it's ok, tho, i'll be DD till then... it's always fun to watch other people get drunk too :p

Members don't see this ad :)
pagemmapants said:
I was gonna go with MedLoans

gemma, the classic or the zero fees?

dr cot said:
I also heard that the river we'll be rafting down is home to one of the world's most venomous water snakes.

:eek:

diosa428 said:

i don't know what's worse, getting bitten by one, or having 50 of your peers interested in examining and treating the bite afterwards.

kirexhana said:
i don't know what's worse, getting bitten by one, or having 50 of your peers interested in examining and treating the bite afterwards.
depends on where you've been bitten

All 50 trying to suck the wound, so they can put it on their AMCAS application. Then through the commotion, the realization that we can't put this in out personal statement leaves the wounded first year to die.

dr cot said:
Did anyone list courses they were going to take but now that you're in, have decided not to take (Such as Biochem)?

No, but I ******edly took a class that was much harder than I should have.

dr cot said:
To those that are possibly buying homes, how are you doing it if you don't live near Duke? Are you flying out to check places out? Are you trusting pictures and realtors? How do you know which areas are nice?

Living with my parents in Wake Forest and commuting like 35 mins. either way for a while first and sticking some cash in a 6-month CD to boost my down payment a little. I guess I haven't really started looking for neighborhoods really, although I did find this complex called Walden Pond which is just up the 147 from campus which looks fairly promising. $80-120k price range, townhomes that look clean. . . the streets are named, like, Providence Ct if that helps any. Really I'm useless for anyone wanting to buy before getting to Durham (I know I wouldn't want to).

dr cot said:

I killed a red-bellied black snake with my bare hands once. True story!

pagemmapants said:
Classic. Zero-fees is for people who don't know how interest works. :p

really? cuz i was thinking, it's 4.5% of the original loan cashback right? but they've incorporated a 2% origination fee (which is also of the original loan...?) therefore, we're really only going to get 2.5% cashback in terms of money that's actually ours. comparing that with the 3.3% cashback and no fees... isn't the zero fees a better deal?

edit: oh WHOA.... i just missed the 3.5% cash after graduation AND 4.5% cash after 33 payments on time... so that's a total of 8% possible? so 8-2 = 6% of the original loan will be returned to us?

dr cot said:
All 50 trying to suck the wound, so they can put it on their AMCAS application. Then through the commotion, the realization that we can't put this in out personal statement leaves the wounded first year to die.

hahaha, i just had a weird image of a few people i met at second look sucking on me. :rolleyes:

kirexhana said:
hahaha, i just had a weird image of a few people i met at second look sucking on me. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I've had those thoughts too.

Oh wait. Something tells me we're not thinking about the same thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
pagemmapants said:
Yeah, I've had those thoughts too.

Oh wait. Something tells me we're not thinking about the same thing.

no, no, i think we are...... :D

do you guys know if theres a housing wkend? i just got in.

no housing weekend, but you should be getting an email from wallace about a housing website (current students who are looking for roomates have ads put up, or who want to sell you their house).

and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

i'm looking for a roomate for the first year, and i dont care if you get the master bedroom. i dont have any apartment in mind yet, so i'll go wherever really.

On that note, I'm planning on getting a townhouse near Duke, most likely 3 BR, 2.5-3 BA. I'm going to start looking at some places next week hopefully. I'm looking to eventually get two roommates, so if you're interested let me know. Guys, girls, and other are welcome.

evljanevl, did you just graduate?

I just thought that I would inform you all that I am now preparing to make my first pitcher of sweet tea.

I think this is a momentous occasion.

pagemmapants said:
I just thought that I would inform you all that I am now preparing to make my first pitcher of sweet tea.

I waitressed at Cracker Barrel for two summers (they were the only restaurant where I lived that would hire without prior experience). Except I wouldn't eat any of the food except the pancakes and macaroni and cheese (and biscuits, yum!). This post is pointless, but your comment about sweet tea reminded me of working there because we would make these HUGE things FULL of it, and you had to add like a pound of sugar when you were making it.

pagemmapants said:

The official sign that you've become a southerner is when you start liking grits. It's all downhill from there.

kirexhana said:
no housing weekend, but you should be getting an email from wallace about a housing website (current students who are looking for roomates have ads put up, or who want to sell you their house).

and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Thank you. I'm really excited about meeting the class. ;)

Mmmmmmm, Cracker Barrel. My mom and I got hooked when my grandmother, who is an avid smoker, visited from England. It was the only restaurant that would allow her to smoke inside, so we went there frequently.

I like the pot pie.

And my first batch turned out great, if a bit messy, and I think that my Brita pitcher has finally found its true calling. :)

Steak and kidney pie seems like something I would like to try. My mom makes good chicken gizzards but I haven't had them in years.

pagemmapants said:
Pork pie is basically a cold pie on normal pie pastry with pressed pork in the middle and a rim of gelatin. Kind of like spam.

Steak and kidney pie is a hot pie; like a pot pie, only with steak and kidneys in it. Flaky pastry.

Fish on a stick is a meal-on-the-go in Tokyo. Kind of like beer and cigarettes out of vending machines. Or Pocari Sweat.

Tempeh = fermented pressed soybeans and assorted grains. Meat substitute; better than tofu.

A gizzard is what a bird uses to grind food up. They have pebbles in them!

Rattlesnake does taste like chicken, unless you have it at the Gilroy garlic festival. Guess what it tastes like then?

Can't say I've ever had congealed pig's blood. Must be an asian thing. :D

Ducks have tongues?

I know a diner in NC that serves eggs and brains. I'll have to try 'em!

MrBurns10 said:
Oh and as far as living expenses go, I currently rent a three bedroom apartment about 17 mins away from campus that costs me $317/month. It's actually a really big apartment, 1500 sq. ft., two stories, etc. so we got a great deal on it. If you don't mind living a little farther away from campus, the complex is South Terrace at Auburn.
Good deal! I have a feeling that once I get to know the area better i'll find a better housing value, maybe for MS2

pagemmapants said:
Welcome one and all, particularly Diosa and Burnsie! Glad to hear we got the waitlist moving pretty quickly already, and Rex and I were just complaining about how quiet this thread has been lately.

SO! To catch you up: Kirexhana = Rex from CSULA, me = Gemma from UCLA, forevalwayzzz = Kevin from Case Western. The others I don't think have mentioned their names online yet so I don't wanna destroy their anonymity. You should back-read and catch up. In the meantime. . . hiya!
Im still catching up but i'm Michelle from NYC.

kirexhana said:
Not to mention we have the better school colors as well. Carolina Blue? it has no character, no substance. Duke's Royal Blue is the way to go, it's strong, enduring and meaningful ;) .
I love blue of all shades :love:

kirexhana said:
now that i actually have something to post about, WHO'S EXCITED ABOUT CAMPOUT???????!!!!! i've never been white water rafting in my life!!!! this is going to be the best summer ever. :D
I. Will. Die. :( As a sheltered city girl, the thought of white water rafting scares the h3ll out of me. That same sheltered city girl can't pass up the opportunity :(

MrBurns10 said:
Alcohol-free is disappointing. heck, I know I get to know people best whenever I'm drunk...

I'm sure there will be plenty of parties during the year. rex, when do you turn 21?
Propably because it's a state park.

dr cot said:

water snakes? Oh jeez :scared:

MrBurns10 said:
The official sign that you've become a southerner is when you start liking grits. It's all downhill from there.
I LOVE grits. Most of my family is from SC and lives there these days. At least im not worried about the food in NC.

SDN is going to be my best friend when I come down in July. *sigh* Having gone to more than one undergrad, I feel like an army brat having to move and make new friends again *sniff*

NubianPrincess said:
SDN is going to be my best friend when I come down in July. *sigh* Having gone to more than one undergrad, I feel like an army brat having to move and make new friends again *sniff*

You're the exact opposite of me... I went here for undergrad and then stayed for my Master's, so I've been at the same school for five years. Also, it's in CT and I grew up in MA - this moving to NC thing is going to be really big. As for making friends, I'm hoping I'll have a roomate(s) that I get along with...

Has anybody filled out their physical/immunization forms yet? I didn't think that we had the passwords to do so yet but wasn't sure...

thanks

oooh and welcome to Michelle and all others. :)

NubianPrincess said:

don't worry, i know NO ONE from NC, as my entire family is in socal, so i'll be your bestest friend if you'll have me :)

went to take my booster of Td the other day and arm is still sore now, hep B too... I like moving around, traveling is fun since i get to do whateva. Hi Michelle, I like that name.

Shaka said:
Has anybody filled out their physical/immunization forms yet? I didn't think that we had the passwords to do so yet but wasn't sure...

thanks

oooh and welcome to Michelle and all others. :)

those forms are available online? link me someone?

the lil drummer boy goes...ba rump ba bum BUMP!

Auuuuuuuuuugh, I HATE that carol. Worst one ever.

Well, no. It's the worst one ever to LISTEN to; the worst one ever to SING is Carol of the Bells. *barf* Not so bad for the alti but if you're a soprano it's the most irritating piece eeeeeeever.

Me = choir geek.

Um. As far as I know we don't have the access information for the immunization forms, which is a bit of a shame because I still have no idea which ones I have/need and I'm not really in the mood for big medical bills at the mo', despite my having a relatively decent PPO.

Speaking of which. . . does anyone know what our student health insurance is like? I mean, OBVIOUSLY it's got to be pretty decent, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

pagemmapants said:
Auuuuuuuuuugh, I HATE that carol. Worst one ever.

Well, no. It's the worst one ever to LISTEN to; the worst one ever to SING is Carol of the Bells. *barf* Not so bad for the alti but if you're a soprano it's the most irritating piece eeeeeeever.

Me = choir geek.

Um. As far as I know we don't have the access information for the immunization forms, which is a bit of a shame because I still have no idea which ones I have/need and I'm not really in the mood for big medical bills at the mo', despite my having a relatively decent PPO.

Speaking of which. . . does anyone know what our student health insurance is like? I mean, OBVIOUSLY it's got to be pretty decent, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

haha, the most singing i do is in the shower...

and i'm also interested in knowing what our student health center covers. what is it, 2000 a year? that should be good, right?

We got a sheet from the Student Health Center in one of our packets; here are the immunization requirements:

-minimum of two MMR (measles, mumps, rubella); one dose must be at least 12 months after birth
-minimum of 3 tetanus, most recent of which must be w/in past 10 years
-TB test within the past year
-Polio
-Varicella (most of probably didn't get the vaccination, but got the disease - you need to show a positive titer)
-Hepatitis B
Recommended but not required: Mengococcal and Hepatitis A

For more details, here is the link: http://healthydevil.studentaffairs.duke.edu/forms_policies/policies/Immunization Requirements.html

Hi guys-

I'm Jessica and I just got into Duke off of the WL last week. I couldn't be happier--Duke was my 1st choice all along. I've been skimming over this thread and I'm obsessed with all of you...I think we're going to get along great! I can't wait to see you in July!

A little about me: hmm, originally, I'm from Maryland, but I went to college in Lexington, Virginia (Washington and Lee--its small). I floss regularly. I have an embarrassing weakness for cable reality shows. My favorite chore is washing dishes. I read the Washington Post and listen to NPR. I abhor Meredith on Grey's Anatomy. I run (slowly) and my boyfriend is teaching me to play raquetball.

:D

'grats, IHaveLab!

I, however, do NOT have lab. Until Tuesday. Damnit.

Elbow deep in kitty guts, wheeeeeeee!

i believe that for chicken pox (varicella), you can have your parents write a signed statement saying that you had the pox at a child, so you dont need to have a serological test to confirm immunity.
I just got my new laptop today, it will replace my workstation and previous laptop but it's a bit bulky (2.5k total). Never a Dell guy so I went with the HP nx9420...
last and certainly not least, congratz and welcome IHaveLab, hope we'll get along well this upcoming year ahead.

forevalwayzz said:
i believe that for chicken pox (varicella), you can have your parents write a signed statement saying that you had the pox at a child, so you dont need to have a serological test to confirm immunity.
I just got my new laptop today, it will replace my workstation and previous laptop but it's a bit bulky (2.5k total). Never a Dell guy so I went with the HP nx9420...
last and certainly not least, congratz and welcome IHaveLab, hope we'll get along well this upcoming year ahead.

kev, you know laptops are included in the "technical" part of tuition right? is that why you said you wanted to go with hp instead of dell?

kirexhana said:
kev, you know laptops are included in the "technical" part of tuition right? is that why you said you wanted to go with hp instead of dell?
Do we have to buy the Duke-issued laptops, or can we get a tuition break if we already have a different laptop computer?

In a barely related note, does anyone know how much class time per day we're looking at for first year? It's strange...that's something I found out about every school I applied to except Duke.

MrBurns10 said:
Do we have to buy the Duke-issued laptops, or can we get a tuition break if we already have a different laptop computer?

In a barely related note, does anyone know how much class time per day we're looking at for first year? It's strange...that's something I found out about every school I applied to except Duke.

i think that the fee we pay is supposed to be for IT stuff. the thing with them getting us computers is so that if anything happens, they can fix it quickly, or replace something broken. i'm unsure about getting a discount on the fee if you bring your own comp

ehhh? didn't pay attention to the IT part, but I dont care regardless, I dont mind having another laptop ^_^ I just dont want to stick with a crappy one that they give out

Exams are every other Monday 8am-1pm or so, then class 'til 4 or 5. Non-exam Mondays and Tues-Thur are 9 to 4 or 5. Fridays are 9 to 1, approx.

Of course, you could always just 2x the streaming videos from home! :p